Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup

Comments

• Options
    And the great news is that England are in 9th once again as a result of Bangladesh's defeat!

we just need SA to play India, Australia & NZ 3 more times each & we might scrape into 4th !!
  • Options
    Good news DeKock is packing up 50 over cricket after the World Cup, T20 and less for him from now on. 
  • Options
    Australia 166-2 off 25 against the Netherlands
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Maxwell has just hit a 40 ball ton and beaten the fastest WC ODI hundred of all time by 9 balls
  • Options
    Maxwell out for 106 (44). Maxwell and Cummins put on 103 for the 7th wicket off 43 balls of which Cummins made 8. Warner earlier made 104 (93)

399-8 off 50
  • Options
    Couldn't reach 400, pathetic 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Poor Bas de Leede returned the most expensive figures of all time in ODIs, 2-115, though, arguably, they are better than Zampa's 0-113 against SA last month 
  • Options
    The Aussies look to be sorting out their run rate issue. Not just leaving England needing to win all our remaining games, but probably needing to hope NZ tonk them rather than just winning narrowly. Maybe it's time to start working out what we need to do to finish above Pakistan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    The Aussies look to be sorting out their run rate issue. Not just leaving England needing to win all our remaining games, but probably needing to hope NZ tonk them rather than just winning narrowly. Maybe it's time to start working out what we need to do to finish above Pakistan.
    For 5th place presumably? Because Pakistan won't finish in the top four. We have to win all five games and hope that the other results go our way because we are almost certainly out should we lose one more match as our NRR is so poor and Australia are likely to massively improve theirs today (Neths are 86-8 off 19 overs against Australia's 399 as I type).

Using the assumptions below, this is the only scenario that will allow us to qualify in my opinion:

India beat South Africa, Sri Lanka and Netherlands but lose to England = 16 points
    NZ beat Australia, South Africa, Pakistan and Sri Lanka = 16 points
    England beat Sri Lanka, India, Australia, Netherlands and Pakistan  = 12 points
    South Africa beat Afghanistan but lose to Pakistan, NZ and India = 10 points
    Australia beat Netherlands, Bangladesh and Afghanistan but lose to NZ and England = 10 points
    Pakistan beat South Africa and Bangladesh but lose to England, and New Zealand = 8 points

As I say, this assumes that we win all five matches but, even if that happens, South Africa only have to beat, in addition to Sri Lanka, one of Pakistan, NZ and India and they will finish above us on NRR and if Australia beat NZ or us they will do so too. And if we lose to India that's that anyway.

Sadly, our qualification is the stuff of fantasy and desperation and I will be more than happy for certain posters on here to remind me of this post if I am wrong!
  • Options
    Netherlands 90 all out (Zampa 4-0-8-4, his third four wicket haul in a row). Australia win by 309 runs - the highest margin in the history of WC ODI history.
  • Options
    A 309-run margin will provide ammunition for those arguing for the end of the 50-over World Cup
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    A 309-run margin will provide ammunition for those arguing for the end of the 50-over World Cup
    You can be a very naughty boy at times. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Why? I'm sure there will be people - many from India, for instance - who will want to see the end of 50 over ODIs.  For what it's worth, I hope that doesn't happen. 

But, the reality is that a 309-run winning margin really isn't much of an exciting, nail-biting, fascinating watch for spectators or TV watchers. 
  • Options
    To clarify: yes I meant trying to finish 5th and get something resembling respectability. Our chances of qualifying depended on the Aussies carrying on as badly as they started, which very definitely isn't happening. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Why? I'm sure there will be people - many from India, for instance - who will want to see the end of 50 over ODIs.  For what it's worth, I hope that doesn't happen. 

But, the reality is that a 309-run winning margin really isn't much of an exciting, nail-biting, fascinating watch for spectators or TV watchers. 

So let's deny that same side, the Netherlands, more opportunities to beat the likes of South Africa, or Afghanistan the chances of defeating both England and Pakistan by halving the number of World Cups. Afghanistan had never beaten a Test playing nation in a World Cup before this and had won just the one match in the tournament in their history. Here they had two scalps.

To those countries, such victories are not just massive successes that their fans are able to celebrate but give their youngsters the encouragement to play and get better. The only reason that it would make sense would be if those that demand the abolition of 50 over cricket to placate the feeling of the supporters of those countries that were defeated by the minnows.

Most cricket fans, especially those that love the game as much as Indian supporters do, are fans of the game itself. So when someone like Maxwell breaks a World Cup record for the fastest hundred they have something memorable to take from the match. Perhaps those that are so keen on "nail-biting" finishes would prefer more of a guarantee of that and instead of playing 100 ball games, why not just have one super over per side? Now they really would be close more often that not. 
  • Options
    For 5th place presumably? Because Pakistan won't finish in the top four. We have to win all five games and hope that the other results go our way because we are almost certainly out should we lose one more match as our NRR is so poor and Australia are likely to massively improve theirs today (Neths are 86-8 off 19 overs against Australia's 399 as I type).

Using the assumptions below, this is the only scenario that will allow us to qualify in my opinion:

India beat South Africa, Sri Lanka and Netherlands but lose to England = 16 points
    Australia beat Netherlands, Bangladesh and Afghanistan but lose to NZ and England = 10 points
    Pakistan beat South Africa and Bangladesh but lose to England, and New Zealand = 8 points

As I say, this assumes that we win all five matches but, even if that happens, South Africa only have to beat, in addition to Sri Lanka, one of Pakistan, NZ and India and they will finish above us on NRR and if Australia beat NZ or us they will do so too. And if we lose to India that's that anyway.

Sadly, our qualification is the stuff of fantasy and desperation and I will be more than happy for certain posters on here to remind me of this post if I am wrong!
    I reckon SA will win most if their games & will be in the top 2 with NZ. Then it will be India & Oz. We will be lucky to finish 5th. 
  • Options

I reckon SA will win most if their games & will be in the top 2 with NZ. Then it will be India & Oz. We will be lucky to finish 5th. 
    I totally agree with you about South Africa and I gave my reasons in the very first comment on this thread as to why I thought they might do well. I was trying to be "devil's advocate" as to how we might qualify and SA losing three of the final games was one of the ways that it might happen. But it won't. I believe that the order will be India, SA, NZ, Australia and I am hoping that, given out exit, it will be an India v SA final.  
  • Options
    So two changes from the team that we nearly had for the 2019 World Cup.

Mallan and Livingstone replacing Morgan and Roy.

Last Vegas or Last of the Summer Wine?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Archer?
  • Options
    2019 final to today:

Roy -> Malan
    Morgan -> Livingstone
    Plunkett -> Moeen
    Archer -> Willey
  • Options
    England 35-0 from 4.3 overs and now the highest opening partnership against SL in the tournament so far.
  • Options
    Angelo Mathews not bowled in ODIs in three years, has Malan caught behind off his third ball of the match!
  • Options
    Root run out for 3

57-2
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Archer?
    Nearly had, he only came in for Willey weeks before the tournament.
  • Options
    I don't think it matters if we bat or bowl first.....we are still crap.

Bairstow now out

68/3.  No boundaries for 7 overs. 
  • Options
    Bairstow gone for 30 trying to force the pace.

68-3
  • Options
    First six overs: 44-0

7.2 overs since: 24-3
  • Options
    77-4

Buttler gone