Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stevenage vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 16th September 2023 @ 3pm | Match Preview

Comments

• Appleton has lost his first game as manager of a new club in last five clubs. Although he won for Blackpool in his second term as boss
  • Head injury allegedly 

But Chuks is at the ground!
  • Depressing that Stevenage are strong favourites - shows how far we have fallen.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Head injury allegedly 

But Chuks is at the ground!
    Yes concussion apparently 
  • Not having May today might be alright if it means we can have the height of Tedic and Leaburn on the pitch. 
  • Annoying if May can't play when we finally have Miles fully fit. And you can guarantee he'll then pick up his 5th booking of the season when he returns and then miss another game...
  • Can't we play a front 3 with Leaburn on one of the wider positions? I believe that's how he was supposed to be playing when he broke into the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• I had other plans for this afternoon, but the lure of watching Appleton's first match in charge broke my resolve, so I'll be watching on Charlton TV instead,

And regretting at 5pm not doing all the things I had planned to do!
  • lol!... Knew that May would get injured the moment we got our other Striker back, hope it is just concussion, so its minor, but shows our f**king luck.
  • What is it about this fucking football club?

After months of shit, is anything ever going to fall in place?
  • Hopefully May is ok, and ready for the next game! 
    Have we ever had a fully fit squad…?
  • Chunes said:
    Not having May today might be alright if it means we can have the height of Tedic and Leaburn on the pitch. 
    Risk starting both of them as neither of them have done 90 yet.

I suppose it depends when they knew May couldn't play.  If it was yesterday possibly too late to change it and waste 2 weeks.
  • Fuck met Appleton hasn’t been here for a single game, and he is getting his own injury list underway. 
  • Chunes said:
    Southbank said:
    NabySarr said:
    ——————Isted
    Asiimwe Hector Jones Edun
    ———Taylor Dobson
    —Leaburn CCampbell CBT
    ——————May

If Watson is fit enough, he gets the nod for me over Asiimwe - purely based on experience at this level atm because NA needs to be taken out of the firing line ASAP in my opinion. 

This formation fits in all of our best attacking and available players in positions they are comfortable.

On paper, May up front “on his own” could look a bit scary but we’ve seen Leaburn play off the right a number of times last season and he’s always managed to make the supporting runs that means his strike partner isn’t as isolated.
    Why not just have the same team but with C.Campbell on the right and Leaburn up front? Leaburn has only really done well on the right when he comes off the bench as he’s got fresh legs, I’m not sure starting he’d be as good there. We really need him to be up front with May. That 4-4-2 would be what I want us to play until Camara and Fraser are back.

For this game though I think getting 3 CBs on the pitch could be a good idea because of how Stevenage play and their threat from set pieces, so I’d go

Isted 
             Jones  Hector Thomas 
    CBT     Taylor  Dobson    Edun
                   C.Campbell 
                  Leaburn May 

I think that gives us balance with attacking threat from both sides. Edun is better defensively than CBT so that covers our lack of good LCB options. 

Not picking Leaburn and May as a front 2 would be criminal when they are potentially the best strike partnership in the league 

CBT IS NOT A WINGBACK
    He's done alright there so far, though. I admit I really didn't want him playing wingback before the season started but it suits him attacking-wise. He picks up the ball deeper and can run at players more. Out on the wing he'd get the ball with the defender on his back and he'd struggle to turn and play. 
    CBT playing wingback is one  (not the only)  reason our defence has been so poor.
    He simply does not fit into a 5-3-2 system. He is a winger.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Not having May today might be alright if it means we can have the height of Tedic and Leaburn on the pitch. 
    Risk starting both of them as neither of them have done 90 yet.

I suppose it depends when they knew May couldn't play.  If it was yesterday possibly too late to change it and waste 2 weeks.
    Without May it should be 433 with Campbell (either of them) and CBT either side of Leaburn
  • 4-3-3 with Abankwah @ Right-Back, he's played there before going by his record

Great to see Aneke back... Really is fantastic for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    433 it is then, or is it?
  • Chuuuuuks
  • edited September 2023
    Abaaankwah (at right back!) 
  • I predict zero minutes for Aneke
  • Chucks has come to save us.
  • edited September 2023
    On the face of it both starting eleven and bench looks strong. Just up to them as individuals to start working as a team, to get the job done now
  • Anderson starting, with Taylor and Watson on the bench, is an interesting call
  • Alfie May has concussion - he suffered that on Tuesday so might have a chance with the protocol for next week. Nathan Asiimwe out with what we're told is a minor quad injury. #cafc

— Louis Mendez (@LouisMend) September 16, 2023
  • A formation that seems to suit the squad we put our, I like it