Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stevenage vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 16th September 2023 @ 3pm | Match Preview

Comments

• a clean sheet please and then work from there

be great to nick a win, but first and foremost sort out the back for and don't concede 
  • edited September 2023
    We have to take the youngsters out of the firing line for this one. Going away to a bruising Steve Evans hoofball team who's entire game is drilled around the dark arts, we need a more experienced team. 
  • Hope Chem Campbell starts.  I think he’s going to have the potential to be as influential on our season as JRS was last season, but in a different style.  One to watch for me 
  • If we were to play a 4-3-3 would playing May inside left and looking to play him through onto his right to shoot be a shout? 
  • edited September 2023
    Can’t believe the number happy with a draw. The teams who exit this league to the Championship will be winning at Stevenage……. 

Nothing other than win is acceptable….. 
    Because they think we won't be exiting the league this year.

Not to the championship anyway.
  • The have a lot of pace upfront, much more so than you might expect from a Steve Evans longball side. I don't think Miles is fit enough to start, think he only lasted 45 in the Pizza Cup game. And I know Appleton is a 4-3-3 man, so I think it'll be a modified 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 to play Campbell in the 10 role.

.............Isted
    Asiimwe Hector Jones Edun
    ........Taylor Dobson
    T. Campbell C. Campbell CBT
    .............May

Bench: AMB, Ness, T Watson, Anderson, L Waston, Leaburn, Tedic

Tomorrow starts what I think we're going to see a fair amount this season: fit first team players missing out on the matchday squad altogether. Abankwah, Kanu, Thomas, Deji, and Kirk (to a lesser extent) to all miss out on the 18. As Abankwah and T. Watson get up to speed, plus Camara and Fraser come back from injury, we might start to see Anderson and Asiimwe missing out on the 18 as well. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Maybe the plan is to have a lot of tall blokes and Taylor delivers the ball well.
  • AMB well out of favour then!
  • SDAddick said:
    The have a lot of pace upfront, much more so than you might expect from a Steve Evans longball side. I don't think Miles is fit enough to start, think he only lasted 45 in the Pizza Cup game. And I know Appleton is a 4-3-3 man, so I think it'll be a modified 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 to play Campbell in the 10 role.

.............Isted
    Asiimwe Hector Jones Edun
    ........Taylor Dobson
    T. Campbell C. Campbell CBT
    .............May

Bench: AMB, Ness, T Watson, Anderson, L Waston, Leaburn, Tedic

Tomorrow starts what I think we're going to see a fair amount this season: fit first team players missing out on the matchday squad altogether. Abankwah, Kanu, Thomas, Deji, and Kirk (to a lesser extent) to all miss out on the 18. As Abankwah and T. Watson get up to speed, plus Camara and Fraser come back from injury, we might start to see Anderson and Asiimwe missing out on the 18 as well. 
    Leaburn did 45 minutes and played well (goal and an assist). He’s then had another week and a half to improve his fitness, I would assume we played some kind of behind closed doors friendly or at least a training 11v11 game last weekend too. He should be fine to start and be stepped up to at least 60 minutes tomorrow 
  • AMB well out of favour then!
    I would play AMB, but I think it’s likely to be Isted just because he’s been away with Australia so Appleton has probably only met him for the first time yesterday whereas Isted has been training all week 
  • All I want is….

4 at the back

Full backs to defend rather than play as wingers (limiting runs forward)

Alfie to finally have the partner he needs (Big Miles) up front
  • I won't settle for anything less than 24 points.
  • Going to be a hard game need to be at our best Going for a good 2-1 win to the mighty CAFC  COYR  B)
  • It will be a historic day for the club if we can get something at Stevenage. Fingers crossed. 
  • Well lets hope the team listened to Andy Scott's inspirational speech about stopping the defeats. We really need a clean sheet above anything else. Well Lavelle and his new club managed a point here last week and he was not good enough for our defence so we should hope for at least the same. Maybe not. 1-0 to Stevenage.
  • Sponsored links:

• I shall be there tomorrow. 15 minutes down the road for me. Not seen us lose there before , in fact i was one of the couple of hundred who saw us put eight past them in the Mickey Mouse cup. 
    I'd take a draw but I'm hoping for the new manager bounce and a 2-0 win. May and Jones to score. 
    Hopefully i will see a few Charlton fans in The 76 lounge behind the new stand before the game. 
  • I shall be there tomorrow. 15 minutes down the road for me. Not seen us lose there before , in fact i was one of the couple of hundred who saw us put eight past them in the Mickey Mouse cup. 
    I'd take a draw but I'm hoping for the new manager bounce and a 2-0 win. May and Jones to score. 
    Hopefully i will see a few Charlton fans in The 76 lounge behind the new stand before the game. 
    Well that's that then  🫣
  • 8-0 Charlton - Manager & Coaching team sacked and sent into tax exile soon after 
  • Might just be wishful thinking on my part rather than what I expect but would love to see this

Chem has been fantastic the last 2 games and has potential to be a stand out this season.

CBT has been one of the best players going forward the last couple of seasons but can't defend as we know, May and Leaburn have to start. 

Managers seem to want to try all these clever formations, but we actually have the players that the above formation could actually work so just go back to basics and give it a try
    Like the look at that team.

However, Appleton doesn't have many options & I expect him to start with virtually the same team as Pearce did. More same old same old.

I would usually go for a defeat away to the league leaders but a new manager bounce must count for something....so Desmond it is.

2-2.
  • Appleton has had a week to sort out the defensive side of our game, Stevenage get the ball in quick, so this will be a severe test of Appleton's defensive nous. On the plus side I think we can score goals. 2-2 till the 94th minute when we get undone once again. 
  • What with new players, returning players, poor run of form and a new manager I think that other than May and Dobson, and maybe Edun, it's almost impossible to predict the formation or the line up.

How does Micky Apples fit all the loanees in?

How does he stop May being isolated upfront?

How does he counter the pace and height of Stevanage?

How does he keep a clean sheet?

I don't know but I'd guess he'll bench Asiimwe and Anderson with Jones and Abankwah at the back with Edun and Wilson. Will he put Hector or Thomas in there too?

Dobson and the other Wilson in the middle and Leaburn and CBT wide of May in a front three.

Or something completely different.

Prediction:

It won't be pretty but 1 - 0 to the Londoners
  • Can’t believe the number happy with a draw. The teams who exit this league to the Championship will be winning at Stevenage……. 

Because this is a new managers first game, with an out of form team (who are yet to get a point on the road), away at the team who are top of the league and play a hugely physical and direct style.

We all want to win, but a draw would absolutely not be a bad result.
  • Wouldn't pick Isted ahead of AMB if both are fit but otherwise that looks a decent side. 
  • Can’t believe the number happy with a draw. The teams who exit this league to the Championship will be winning at Stevenage……. 

We really aren't ready for steam rolling teams like Stevenage at their own gaff.
    I might sound a bit Alan Hansen here, but I do still believe strong teams are built from the back.
    We need to find a consistently solid & steady back line and work on from there. 
    Bit boring I know, but we've been in this league too long now and the Champagne football that coaches of the past have partially craved needs to be parked.