Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stevenage vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 16th September 2023 @ 3pm | Match Preview

Stevenage vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 16th September 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Peter Wright

Introduction
Welcome to the dawn of a new Managerial era here in SE7, its possible it wont be different to many eras we've seen in the last three years, its possible it could go rather well - Michael Appleton becomes our fifth permanent Manager since February 2021; his appointment has not been a popular one... Win games... that is the only thing that matters to get fans onside... Although if recent years are anything to go by, he shouldn't get too comfortable in the South East.

The Opposition
Name: Stevenage (1st) | Manager: Steve Evans
Ground: Broadhill Way
Previous League Result: Stevenage 2-2 Carlisle United

First up is a trip to Hertfordshire, with Stevenage Borough laying in wait.

In some regard this has to be one of the harder starts possible for Michael Appleton... When I say that I don't refer to the League Table, Stevenage may sit on the top step, but lets be honest, who genuinely pays attention to the standings this early in the season?

Instead I refer to the Manager; Steve Evans, he may not be a popular figure in English Football, but he does know how to win games, especially within the lower reaches of the Football League. Having won promotion from League Two last season, Stevenage have carried on their form from that successful campaign, although it is a common sight early on in the year. However "the Boro" do have just the one win at Broadhill Way this season, so there will be the potential for the Addicks to come away with something this weekend.

On the player front... Well Jake Forster-Caskey is the obvious name amongst Stevenage ranks, yet could well be suspended having missed the last two League Games. Jake was sent off against Portsmouth, however appeared in an EFL Trophy game, so god knows in that regard.

Charlton Team News
Well all eyes will be on Appleton's first team sheet come 2pm on Saturday afternoon.

With his previous clubs, he's favoured 4-3-3 as a formation, but has also played 3-5-2, meaning that we could see a potential partnership between Alfie May and Miles Leaburn for the first time this season, at least from the start of a game - Elsewhere and we of course have reinforcements following the closure of the Transfer Window.

Louie Watson impressed from Midfield in a drab clash with Crawley Town, whilst James Abankwah could slot into the defence... However Abankwah, along with Maynard-Brewer and Thomas could be forced to settle for a place on the bench, having been absent for much of Appleton's reign to date, due to being on International Duty.

Isted
Jones - Hector - Ness
Asiimwe - Anderson - Dobson - Blackett-Taylor
C.Campbell
Leaburn - May

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Abankwah | Edun | Taylor | T.Campbell | Tedic | L.Watson

Comments

• Must have those two up top.

With Appleton having a previous positive connection with Edun in the past, I can't see Edun not starting.

It is a difficult start, but I think that will suit a side and manager that will be out to prove a point.

A draw will be a decent result, but I can see them really going all out for the win.
  • edited September 2023
    I did initially go with Edun over Blackett-Taylor

I'd rather see Leaburn alongside May (or Tedic, but I'll be surprised if he's picked over Miles, just because he's from Man City), instead of us playing 4-3-3 to suit CBT.

Corey is an important player for us, in terms of getting the ball up the pitch, but his final ball is too erratic for my liking to pick him instead of playing two Strikers.
  • A must win.
  • I agree with Forevers formation and matching their formation could suit us not only in this game but going forward. 
    I would play Edun from the start and see how we are at HT.
  • First game under new management, playing away against top of the league.  Obviously hoping for a win but a draw would be a good result IMO.
  • Hope for the best, fear the worst.
  • This might go rather well! , but I'd take a draw this week, 1-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    Nice preview thank you.

Regardless of the result, one thing I would like to see is a noticeable difference in our defending which is abject.

How many times have we seen us playing some nice stuff for extended periods then losing possession and 30 seconds later conceding a soft goal?

There are goals in this team but on Saturday I would like to see a tough, disciplined and boring 0-0 draw. 

That will offer a glimmer of hope. 

0-0

• Team selection will be interesting. I think there will be some surprises. Although Stevenage have made a good start, I can't see us losing this. I predict a 3-1 win.
  • Must win game
  • What's happened to the other Watson? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    What's happened to the other Watson? 
    Is Ben still on the paylist?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Injured probably 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Wonder if we may see him for the U21s first... We seem to have learnt in recent games, how to use our Senior Players in them a bit more.
  • No Idea how this one will go. It seems ages since we last played a match. Leaburn will be really important. Can see May scoring again to keep his run going. UTA.
  • Sponsored links:

• A terribly turgid and attritional game in prospect. More chance of some pitch side fisticuffs than a good game of football breaking out. Sides to cancel each other out. Hard earned point though. Appleton off and running. 0-0
  • edited September 2023
    Stevenage are a big side so 3 centre backs might be a good idea to try and combat that and their strength from set pieces.

I would rather have Edun on the pitch than Asiimwe though so would swap CBT to the right and have Edun on the left. I think this would help not expose CBT defensively too, as although we don’t have anyone comfortable at LCB we have plenty who will be comfortable covering out on the right 

I’m going for a 2-2 draw, we have a lot of firepower and options going forward but I doubt Appleton will have had long enough to sort out our vulnerability at the back 
  • I agree with others, if CBT is on the left, he needs a proper LB behind him, so would expect Edun on the left instead of another CB. Would rather T Campbell rather than Asiimwe. But then I am usually wrong
  • edited September 2023
    Really need to see a big improvement in the performance.
  • edited September 2023
    ——————Isted
    Asiimwe Hector Jones Edun
    ———Taylor Dobson
    —Leaburn CCampbell CBT
    ——————May

If Watson is fit enough, he gets the nod for me over Asiimwe - purely based on experience at this level atm because NA needs to be taken out of the firing line ASAP in my opinion. 

This formation fits in all of our best attacking and available players in positions they are comfortable.

On paper, May up front “on his own” could look a bit scary but we’ve seen Leaburn play off the right a number of times last season and he’s always managed to make the supporting runs that means his strike partner isn’t as isolated.
  • edited September 2023
    Solidgone said:
    I would have thought Tedic would get a chance in favour of Leaburn.
    I would have thought that miles is the first name (after May) on the team sheet.
  • ——————Isted
    Asiimwe Hector Jones Edun
    ———Taylor Dobson
    —Leaburn CCampbell CBT
    ——————May

If Watson is fit enough, he gets the nod for me over Asiimwe - purely based on experience at this level atm because NA needs to be taken out of the firing line ASAP in my opinion. 

This formation fits in all of our best attacking and available players in positions they are comfortable.

On paper, May up front “on his own” could look a bit scary but we’ve seen Leaburn play off the right a number of times last season and he’s always managed to make the supporting runs that means his strike partner isn’t as isolated.
    Why not just have the same team but with C.Campbell on the right and Leaburn up front? Leaburn has only really done well on the right when he comes off the bench as he’s got fresh legs, I’m not sure starting he’d be as good there. We really need him to be up front with May. That 4-4-2 would be what I want us to play until Camara and Fraser are back.

For this game though I think getting 3 CBs on the pitch could be a good idea because of how Stevenage play and their threat from set pieces, so I’d go

Isted 
             Jones  Hector Thomas 
    CBT     Taylor  Dobson    Edun
                   C.Campbell 
                  Leaburn May 

I think that gives us balance with attacking threat from both sides. Edun is better defensively than CBT so that covers our lack of good LCB options. 

Not picking Leaburn and May as a front 2 would be criminal when they are potentially the best strike partnership in the league 

• No way are we ever going to be underdogs against Stevenage. They have had a decent start but will soon slide back as we rise up to the top 2. Michael Appleton will do well for us. 0-2 Charlton. Simple win. COYA
  • Fearing the worse, hoping for the best.