Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby World Cup 2023

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2023
    I’m surprised the matches aren’t spread out so there’s at least one per day like a football or cricket World Cup. Feels weird to have a 3-4 day block of matches followed by 2-3 days of nothing.
  • Options
    Feels really odd but was explained on tv the other night as looking to ensure that all the teams have the same amount o f recovery time before the next games. In prior rugby world cups the lower ranked teams had shorter gaps and the higher ranked teams played more at the weekends which on rugby particularly doesn't seem fair given recovery times. 
  • Options
    Feels really odd but was explained on tv the other night as looking to ensure that all the teams have the same amount o f recovery time before the next games. In prior rugby world cups the lower ranked teams had shorter gaps and the higher ranked teams played more at the weekends which on rugby particularly doesn't seem fair given recovery times. 
    I still think they could spread them out slightly more, while still giving 6 days recovery.

For example looking at the first weekend, instead of having 4 games on Saturday, England vs Argentina could have been played on Sunday, and S Africa vs Scotland could have been played on the Monday evening instead of Sunday. S Africa would still have had 6 days before Romania (who they hammered)

And why is Italy vs Namibia tomorrow being played at 4.45 (5.45 local time) rather than 7 or 8?
  • Options
    Excuse for Italians to go straight out after work to watch the rugby? 
  • Options
    Not sure that Farrell at 13 gives us much more in attack any more . For me it’s a shoot out with Ford at 10 and he only moves to 12 if we have an injury to one of the starters there. 
    Totally agree, Farrell is not a better centre than Tuilagi or Marchant. What I have no doubt about is that they will stick him in somewhere.
  • Options
    I only occasionally dip in and out of England rugby, but I have never seen anything in Farrell other than being a good kicker who cannot tackle properly.

obviously to have so many caps there must be more to him than that but as a casual viewer I have not seen it.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    thought from the off that Italy/Uruguay would be interesting  ,, Italy behind at half way, but I suspect they will just nick it .. Uruguay and sports ! .. population 3.5 Million and they certainly hold their own in football and increasingly in rugby

UPDATE .. Italy are starting to dominate after a scare or two
  • Options
    Dupont went off with a head injury in Fracce’s 96-0 win last night. Not sure the extent of the injury yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dupont went off with a head injury in Fracce’s 96-0 win last night. Not sure the extent of the injury yet.

Broken eye socket according to Irish news this am
  • Options

Not sure why they didn’t take him off at HT, when they were 50 odd points up.
  • Options

ridiculous to keep THE vital team member and captain on the pitch when France were so far ahead .. I suspect that a frustrated Namibian took a cheap shot as a form of revenge,  after all we know that this is a fierce competition but 96 nil is somewhat taking the p*** .. If Dupont is out for good, that could well be France's cup win hopes going with him
  • Options

ridiculous to keep THE vital team member and captain on the pitch when France were so far ahead .. I suspect that a frustrated Namibian took a cheap shot as a form of revenge,  after all we know that this is a fierce competition but 96 nil is somewhat taking the p*** .. If Dupont is out for good, that could well be France's cup win hopes going with him
    That incident couldn't be predicted though. It's not as if he had an existing injury that needed managing, and it was that which forced him off.

If in the last football WC, someone had done a GBH tackle on Messi breaking his leg with Argentina 3-0 up at HT, nobody would have criticised the manager for not taking him off earlier.
  • Options
    be a real shame if DuPont is out of the RWC. Along with Ntmack who’s missed the whole tournament they are probably the 2 best players in the world at the moment. It would seriously dent France’s chances of winning with those 2 they were favourites.
  • Options
    Incredible game Georgia and Portugal, hope Portugal hold out. Soon as it’s over will put the Charlton stream on.
  • Options
    I know it's been a scrappy game, but, my word, Portugal have really got the blood pumping in the second half.

If they were professionals you'd have to think they'd be hammering Georgia.
  • Options
    That has to hurt
  • Options
    That's the most exciting game so far.

Not the best. But the second half was mesmerising.
  • Options
    Well done Portugal - such a shame they couldn’t hold on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Willing them to make that last kick
  • Options
    I honestly thought that Georgian kick to the corner at the end had gone across the goal line before going out.

Tremendous effort by Portugal.

They may wish to shoot the replacement scrum half.
  • Options
    That's the most exciting game so far.

Not the best. But the second half was mesmerising.
    as so often a couple of 'minnows' provide a terrific game .. probably well up to English Premier standard .. Georgia were the favourites but Portugal gave them a real fright .. 10/10 for effort both teams and no shortage of skill either 
  • Options
    Is Clive Woodward unwell? Seems unsure or something not quite right 
  • Options
    To one sided for me to watch 
    But a good easy win 
    Well Done England  B)
  • Options
    Looking forward to Ireland v South Africa  should be a brilliant game 
    My money is on Ireland 
  • Options
    C’mon Ireland.
  • Options
    I'm becoming really familiar with down the back of my sofa...
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Very entertaining with the two Minnows Portugal v Georgia 18-18 with a kick to win it going wide.

England playing a running game in the cooler Lille afternoon where we could see the talent in the squad and my favourite Marcus Smith.
    20 year old Henry Arundell castled Chile on 5 occasions and must think international rugby is easy. 

Battle of the two heavyweights with Ireland v SA and it's a battle with number 1 and two in the world showing their 💪.

Great day of Rugby befitting a WC with 40 minutes still to come. Subs could well decide who wins this match.