Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby World Cup 2023

Was at Twickenham on Friday and taken aback by how overwhelmingly the Springboks bullied the All Blacks - ominous?

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Was at Twickenham on Friday and taken aback by how overwhelmingly the Springboks bullied the All Blacks - ominous?
    general rule, more than ever seems to be, the physically bigger the team, the better the results, see what Fiji did to England and France to Australia .. also, NZ convincingly beat SA just a couple of weeks back, the difference was the SA back row, Kolisi was fit and firing, and remember NZ had one of their top forwards sent off.. also the new SA stand off was given a vote of confidence and played a blinder
    As ever looking forward to the Cup irrespective of what Borthwick and Co can conjure up in these desperate times
    The opener, France  NZ should be an absolute cracker
  • Options
    Yes, I saw that NZ won a few weeks back. Was shocked at the difference.

Hopefully it isn't indicative. The SA supporters were out in full - full in numbers and full in SA 'reaction'! 
  • Options
    England will disappoint but I shall try to enjoy good rugby from elsewhere.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    England will disappoint but I shall try to enjoy good rugby from elsewhere.
    Yey ENG have such an easy group compared to Ireland, Scotland and South Africa!
  • Options
    Can only see either SA of France winning it, hopefully it’ll be France absolutely love the way they play the game. On an international and domestic level France are streets ahead of England, the powers at the RFU have not moved English Rugby forward and having won the World Cup all those years ago failed to build on that success. Bunch of toffs looking out for a bunch of toffs and until that changes English rugby will struggle. Ireland might do something but I always have this feeling they are extremely overrated but they seem a bit more resilient this time around but not expecting them to win.
  • Options
    Scotland should be on cloud nine (if not a little surprised) at being ranked 5th in the world; if it weren't for being in world cup group with the teams ranked 1 and 2!!!!
  • Options
    England have done their best to remove any expectations of success. 
  • Options
    Scotland should be on cloud nine (if not a little surprised) at being ranked 5th in the world; if it weren't for being in world cup group with the teams ranked 1 and 2!!!!
    Never understood why the groups are so far in advance based on rankings that obviously gonna change 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Nug said:
    Can only see either SA of France winning it, hopefully it’ll be France absolutely love the way they play the game. On an international and domestic level France are streets ahead of England, the powers at the RFU have not moved English Rugby forward and having won the World Cup all those years ago failed to build on that success. Bunch of toffs looking out for a bunch of toffs and until that changes English rugby will struggle. Ireland might do something but I always have this feeling they are extremely overrated but they seem a bit more resilient this time around but not expecting them to win.
    The opening game NZ v France will surely decide who wins group A.

Given you'd expect SA to win group B, they will face the runner up (either NZ or France) in the quarters. 

SA v France (which would be a great final) possibly meeting in the quarters is huge.
  • Options
    Having had time to mull over all the names mentioned do you know what i’d be happy with Bows , better the devil you know and all that 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    weirdly was in France last week nice and generally the south of France and was surprised at the lack of advertising given that they have games in nice. 

south Africa are my pick will take a lot of beating 
  • Options
    Anyone watching?
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Having had time to mull over all the names mentioned do you know what i’d be happy with Bows , better the devil you know and all that 
    At scrum half? 
  • Options
    Anyone watching?
    Yep! Bit cagey so far 
  • Options
    Anyone watching?
    The neighbours across the road are, twitchy curtain and all that, who is playing?
  • Options
    France really do have new Zealand's number at world cups
  • Options
    Anyone watching?
    The neighbours across the road are, twitchy curtain and all that, who is playing?
    France have, in the end, comfortably beaten the All Blacks
  • Options
    France a bit nervy but probably expected, they have some serious talent and should get better. Marchand, the hooker who is brilliant, went off injured hopefully not too bad as he would be a big miss, saying that his replacement was excellent. They have great depth. Aldrit, the 8, was awesome, as always.
  • Options
    I didn’t think the rugby World Cup kicked off until October, boy was I wrong!
  • Options
    Thought it was a pretty good game. France on top for most of it. Got some serious talent in that squad. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Thought it was a pretty good game. France on top for most of it. Got some serious talent in that squad. 
    Just spoke to my cousin who is well into his Rugby (used to play for a semi professional side) and he thought it was an ordinary game. Too much kicking and the ref was giving too many penalties and New Zealand were very ill disciplined. still, i enjoyed it. 

Shame that Penaud touched the ball for that counter attack nearly try. thought it was great when he slide on the floor and threw it back for the other guy to pick up and score. 
  • Options
    Very pleased with the the score for Ireland in a much tighter and scrappier game than that scoreline suggests.

The playing conditions look utterly brutal though.
  • Options
    Very pleased with the the score for Ireland in a much tighter and scrappier game than that scoreline suggests.

The playing conditions look utterly brutal though.
    All the rest of Ireland’s group games will be in the evening.
  • Options
    France were very disciplined against New Zealand last night. If they maintain that discipline they will be hard to beat and could go all the way.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    France were very disciplined against New Zealand last night. If they maintain that discipline they will be hard to beat and could go all the way.
    France v SA final for me, but think SA will win it.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    France v SA final for me, but think SA will win it.
    Agree about final but think France will edge it 
  • Options
    Looking forward to the game Argentina always bring a physical game 
    We need a big performance to win this one COYE  B)
  • Options
    I’m really not enjoying the Irish commentary.
     It’s painful at times.

Apparently there are real issues with getting into the stadia.
    I noticed there were loads of empty seats in Bordeaux & now it’s happening at the England game.

Weird 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    What’s going on with the weird anthems??
  • Options
    so the young royals can be present to support this lot but not our women in Australia - poor show