Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby World Cup 2023

Comments

• Options
    Wales try scorer Nick Tompkins is a local lad from Sidcup. His mum was my sons primary school headteacher. He played for England U20s not sure how Welsh he is but let’s not go down that road again! Very pleased for him he’s a great player and really nice lad.
  • Options
    Quarters now look like they'll be:

France v SA
    Ireland v NZ
    Wales v Argentina
    England v Fiji
  • Options

France v SA
    Ireland v NZ
    Wales v Argentina
    England v Fiji
    With the top and bottom ones meeting in the Semis, is that right?

So possibly France/SA v England/Fiji?

Thought SA v France would be the final, Ireland's win made it more interesting!
  • Options
    Eddie Jones has done for Australian R U what he nearly did for England .. put it back 20 years and into a state of utter confusion .. well done 'mate'
  • Options
    well done Wales, as usual that never say die spirit and team work saw them through allied with superb coaching, tactics and skill .. record thumping of the Not Wizards of Oz puts them right in the mix for the final at least
  • Options
    Eddie Jones has done for Australian R U what he nearly did for England .. put it back 20 years and into a state of utter confusion .. well done 'mate'
    Unbelievable that he’ll get another job.
  • Options
    Unbelievable that he’ll get another job.
    he'll end up in Japan (his mother is Japanese as is his wife) where he was under contract to coach one of their clubs as a 'consultant' even when he was the England 'coach' .. the geezer is a right wrong un, a chancer who should have been sussed out years ago .. I was saying on here a LONG time ago that he couldn't be trusted and was a useless bullshitter .. other than that he's OK lol
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Jones has been worse for Australia than he was for us.

Pretty appalling that he's dropped players like Hooper for youngsters so he could trot out the building for the future, "judge me on 2027 not now" line, whilst eyeing up another job for when it went wrong this time.

Basically take the money and run.

Hope Japan tell him where to go.
  • Options
    Jones has been worse for Australia than he was for us.

Pretty appalling that he's dropped players like Hooper for youngsters so he could trot out the building for the future, "judge me on 2027 not now" line, whilst eyeing up another job for when it went wrong this time.

Basically take the money and run.

Hope Japan tell him where to go.
    this from wiki .. 

Goldman Sachs

In November 2015 Jones was appointed by Goldman Sachs Group Inc. to the bank's advisory board in Japan. The board comprises people from the public and private sector and was created in 2001 to advise Goldman Sachs on business, regulatory, and public policy issues in Japan. Masanori Mochida, president of Goldman Sachs Japan Co stated that "Goldman Sachs will benefit from his unrivaled leadership and his ability to bring together a multi-cultural team".[73]

and from 'Mail Online'

See Eddie Jones' shocking foul-mouthed outburst about Wales as it comes back to haunt him after the Dragons smashed his Wallabies out of the World Cup | Daily Mail Online

• Options
    edited September 2023
    I thought Jones got us to a World Cup Final, beating the All Blacks on the way or was that somebody who looked like him?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

France v SA
    Ireland v NZ
    Wales v Argentina
    England v Fiji
    With the top and bottom ones meeting in the Semis, is that right?

So possibly France/SA v England/Fiji?

Thought SA v France would be the final, Ireland's win made it more interesting!
    Yes correct. 
  • Options
    I thought Jones got us to a World Cup Final, beating the All Blacks on the way or was that somebody who looked like him?
    you follow rugby do you ? .. with the players and resources at his disposal that was not unexpected, you saw the result in that final?, the Saffies hammered us .. after that 'triumph' Jones took the English International Rugby set up backwards at 100 m p h and is now doing the same for Australia .. that's really him and not someone who is as ugly and unpleasant and who looks like him
  • Options
    Well the Welsh husband is happy.
    Marvellous.
  • Options
    you follow rugby do you ? .. with the players and resources at his disposal that was not unexpected, you saw the result in that final?, the Saffies hammered us .. after that 'triumph' Jones took the English International Rugby set up backwards at 100 m p h and is now doing the same for Australia .. that's really him and not someone who is as ugly and unpleasant and who looks like him
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/66914086

Seems like the second worse thing they can do to be honest.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    My point is not disputing that he took English Rugby backwards but that was after taking it forwards. Australia have clearly underperformed and he must take some responsibility for that but the players may have had something to do with it too. We got thrashed by South Africa in the final but we did better than most of the teams in the tournament. England went on a poor run and it is perfectly understandable he got the sack as he didn't seem to have any solutions to it as he will probably get the sack from the Aussies. But I don't get the vitriol. 
  • Options
    My point is not disputing that he took English Rugby backwards but that was after taking it forwards. Australia have clearly underperformed and he must take some responsibility for that but the players may have had something to do with it too. We got thrashed by South Africa in the final but we did better than most of the teams in the tournament. England went on a poor run and it is perfectly understandable he got the sack as he didn't seem to have any solutions to it as he will probably get the sack from the Aussies. But I don't get the vitriol. 
    Me neither, we had a spell when it looked like it was all coming together before we had the terrible run of results that saw him lose his job. Stuart Lancaster did a lot more damage managing to not get out of the group in a home world cup whereas Eddie got one of the best performances out of an England side any of us will ever see in the semi final, losing sinckler so early and being bum rushed by a ruthless SA team who had no problem with killing the game in order to win it. 

Eddie Jones definitely divides people thats for sure 
  • Options
    I’m not a rugby fan but love a World Cup of anything, but I see englands last group game is 7th October?! 

Surely there must be a better concept than this diluted one. It’s not gonna stir emotions of the neutral by dragging it out this much for only the main contenders to contest the last 8 anyway.
  • Options
    I’m not a rugby fan but love a World Cup of anything, but I see englands last group game is 7th October?! 

Surely there must be a better concept than this diluted one. It’s not gonna stir emotions of the neutral by dragging it out this much for only the main contenders to contest the last 8 anyway.
    The biggest problem is having 5 teams in a group, it means that one team doesn't have a game every week. I know the World Cup gives the opportunity for some smaller nations to get some airtime but really it should drop to 16 teams. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The biggest problem is having 5 teams in a group, it means that one team doesn't have a game every week. I know the World Cup gives the opportunity for some smaller nations to get some airtime but really it should drop to 16 teams. 
    Or 5 groups of 4, top 3 second place teams going through - could create a bit if jeopardy/excitement on the second placed teams depending on the groups.
  • Options

Or 5 groups of 4, top 3 second place teams going through - could create a bit if jeopardy/excitement on the second placed teams depending on the groups.
    Yeah could work, although at the moment I just don't see the point in some of these teams competing. Have to switch to an even number of teams in a group though. 
  • Options
    There is a lot of red faced posh people arguing about this within world rugby about where the money goes and how much of it gets alloted to 2nd tier nations, like, say Chile who had some coaching from elite level coaches funded by world rugby but ultimately they are cannon fodder. That said, it wasn't all that long ago sides like Fiji and Samoa were the whipping boys, violent and strong teams but still red meat for the test sides of the world and now Fiji are a team nobody wants to play and Samoa not far behind them, Japan under Eddie Jones produced a win I still struggle to believe happened in staying with the South Africans and eventually beating them at the Amex stadium in 2015 

Also, having the games spread out was necessary as these smaller nations were dealt a rough hand by getting less rest time than squads stuffed with full time professional athletes and overseen by the luminaries of sports science, physiotherapy, recovery and the like

Full understand @ValleyGary point though 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    There is a lot of red faced posh people arguing about this within world rugby about where the money goes and how much of it gets alloted to 2nd tier nations, like, say Chile who had some coaching from elite level coaches funded by world rugby but ultimately they are cannon fodder. That said, it wasn't all that long ago sides like Fiji and Samoa were the whipping boys, violent and strong teams but still red meat for the test sides of the world and now Fiji are a team nobody wants to play and Samoa not far behind them, Japan under Eddie Jones produced a win I still struggle to believe happened in staying with the South Africans and eventually beating them at the Amex stadium in 2015 

Also, having the games spread out was necessary as these smaller nations were dealt a rough hand by getting less rest time than squads stuffed with full time professional athletes and overseen by the luminaries of sports science, physiotherapy, recovery and the like

Discriminating against smaller nations at the last WC was wrong, but it's daft having groups of 5, with one team missing out each weekend. It's like the old 5 nations!

For a sport like rugby union, 20 countries is pushing it in terms of maintaining the quality. The cricket WC next month has just 10.
  • Options
    Needs to be 16 or 24.

With 16, 4 groups of 4, top 2 through to quarters.

With 24, 6 groups of 4, top go through to quarters, best 4 second placed teams have an eliminator match and the 2 winners get into the quarters. 

The 24 concept would be interesting as one slip up from a bigger nation could spell disaster, especially in a group of death where you could have 2 top tier teams in it and a second tier team pulling off an upset.

Problem is the 21st-24th teams in the tournament will be utter dross
  • Options
    Carter said:

Discriminating against smaller nations at the last WC was wrong, but it's daft having groups of 5, with one team missing out each weekend. It's like the old 5 nations!

For a sport like rugby union, 20 countries is pushing it in terms of maintaining the quality. The cricket WC next month has just 10.
    I wouldn't pass off the cricket World Cup as a great example. 9 group games spread over 5 weeks.

I think 20 is too many and 10 too few.

Obviously neither can be like the football world cup the 32nd ranked Rugby Union team are Germany and the 32nd ranked cricket team are...  they only go to 19 in ODIs.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Agree with this re: the scheduling. I like the fact that the games are spread out but England and Wales having two weeks off is odd. It's need to be groups of 4 so either 16 or 24 sides. 16 would be optimal from a quality standpoint but given the IRB's mandate is to expand the game then they will obviously go for 24 which would mean some weak groups but also a couple of good ones and extra knock out games which ultimately is what we all want to see
  • Options
    Problem will be that the answer to the key question in determining bans will be 'no.'

Is he English? Yes ban him, no let him off.