Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD: Oxford United vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 26th August 2023: KO 3:00pm

Comments

• Options
    very inexperienced team this week, we'll do well to get anything for an in form Oxy outfit, who've lost just one in the league so far, the boat race derby .. good time for our young players to put down a claim for a regular place 
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    The manager is panicking already and doesn't appear to know what his best 11 is
    Why is he panicking ?  He's obviously seen a better option in training (hopefully).
    I don't want to be right on this and hope you are, there is a chance that the players picked today have been picked for hard work in training, unfortunately, I think it's due to poor performance on the pitch by others.

He has had this group in for training since the beginning of pre season, surely he would have an idea of his best 11 and formation. 

Dropping the keeper he has backed all pre season, bringing elerewe in from the cold, possible new formation (3-4-3). Tinkering with the centre halves again. This is the 4th formation used all season?
  • Options
    Charwill said:
    People said that to Ferguson when he played all those youngsters. They didn’t do to bad!
    From Man Utd and Ferguson to Charlton Ath and Holden.  Bloody hell dream on. 

Let’s hope our owners and the SMT know what they are doing to Charlton Athletic and Dean Holden.
  • Options
    I don't know about panicking ..... he's made 3 changes, that's not that radical, is it?

We've been leaking goals, an Holden has made an effort to address that.
    AMB has been looking a bit shaky, Hector's looked asleep, and Taylor hasn't looked up to speed yet.

Maybe there's a tweak to the formation (it was suggested 3-4-3) with Edun moving inside into midfield (he was always a midfielder, before being converted into a wingback), will bring fresh energy and cover CBT's forays.
    Otherwise the rest of the line up remains "as printed in your programme".

My main reservation is the number of inexperienced youth in the side. They've shown their quality at times - but it is a big ask to expect consistancy from these youngsters.

• Options
    redbuttle said:
    Why is he panicking ?  He's obviously seen a better option in training (hopefully).
    I don't want to be right on this and hope you are, there is a chance that the players picked today have been picked for hard work in training, unfortunately, I think it's due to poor performance on the pitch by others.

He has had this group in for training since the beginning of pre season, surely he would have an idea of his best 11 and formation. 

Dropping the keeper he has backed all pre season, bringing elerewe in from the cold, possible new formation (3-4-3). Tinkering with the centre halves again. This is the 4th formation used all season?
    Elerewe was suspended 
  • Options
    I so hope we get a result but that line up is immensely inexperienced , it beggers belief. 
    Come five o'clock i'm hoping we are talking about the youngsters because they have played a blinder and we have got a result instead of any mistakes they might make. 
    If it goes pear shaped then i worry for DH and the response he will get from the fans for chucking the kids in the firing line.
  • Options
    Maybe not panicking but one or two strange calls.

Football a game of opinions and I don't understand dropping Maynard- Brewer.

Hector obviously on the naughty step. 

Message clearly given out to Kirk and Jayiesimu to go and find another club.

And I hate to say this but is Camara's slight foot injury now one that is going to keep him out for months?

• Options
    _MrDick said:
    Oxford have got the poshest team announcer I’ve ever heard … standards 
    Is it Charlie Methven?
  • Options
    Anyone else's sound iffy on the stream today...
  • Options
    redbuttle said:

Elerewe was suspended 
    For 4 games? What did he do? Innis would be proud of a suspension like that!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks very attacking with both Edun AND CBT starting. But with no Fraser or Camara I cant see where the creativity is coming from.  Just play it out wide & let our pace burn them.

Still think we'll win. 
  • Options
    redbuttle said:

Elerewe was suspended 
    For 4 games? What did he do? Innis would be proud of a suspension like that!
    Got sent off while on loan at Bromley
  • Options
    Be interested to know if Edun has ever played in the middle before. Just seems bizarre that we were desperate for a LWB to then play him out of position. That's if the lineup is correct of course. 
  • Options
    Deano always sounds positive, and no change today..talks cheap Dean, lets see how we go, and just send them all out with a rocket, and making sure no more early Christmas pressie goals would help...
  • Options
    Looks very attacking with both Edun AND CBT starting. But with no Fraser or Camara I cant see where the creativity is coming from.  Just play it out wide & let our pace burn them.

Still think we'll win. 
    Make your mind up ! Personally i think it looks like a defensive line up. keeping a clean sheet will be more important than anything today. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Be interested to know if Edun has ever played in the middle before. Just seems bizarre that we were desperate for a LWB to then play him out of position. That's if the lineup is correct of course. 
    Think it's a 3412 or 343 so he's on the left of midfield/wing back, Asiimwe on the other side and CBT either behind a front 2 or part of a front 3
  • Options
    Today either makes that young back line or it crushes their confidence.
  • Options
    It’s not a great day. Soaked through to the skin getting here. Queued up for 25 mins to get some grub in the bowling alley only to be told I had to have a lane or a table number. I had neither. It doesn’t matter where you sit, you’re gonna get wet. And to cap it off, I left my glasses in the car and everything at the other end of the pitch is a blur. All I can say is … we’d better win 
  • Options
    Did I hear that right, Curbs saying we don't need an out and out centre forward, just the wide players? 
  • Options
    I'm assuming it's 3-4-3 because moving Edun into midfield would be madness. 

Fifth game in, fifth different first XI, third different formation. 

Sorry but I think Holden is massively out of his depth tactically. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BBC says 3-1-4-2, interesting but unlikely
  • Options
    Absolutely no expectation we win this. Any early season optimism has gone at this point.

Will take a point and some signs that Holden knows how to set us up to at least be hard to beat.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    It’s not a great day. Soaked through to the skin getting here. Queued up for 25 mins to get some grub in the bowling alley only to be told I had to have a lane or a table number. I had neither. It doesn’t matter where you sit, you’re gonna get wet. And to cap it off, I left my glasses in the car and everything at the other end of the pitch is a blur. All I can say is … we’d better win 
    I hate these positive posts 😂
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Did I hear that right, Curbs saying we don't need an out and out centre forward, just the wide players? 
    And both him and Brownie implying that we may not get any more in (except maybe Dabo)
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Talal said:

Bizarrely yes.
    They're obsessed with replacing JRS.
  • Options
    What’s the news on Camara’s “minor” foot injury then? Anybody know?

How on earth can Holden “know his best eleven” when five of his probably preferred players haven’t been available?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Maybe not panicking but one or two strange calls.

Football a game of opinions and I don't understand dropping Maynard- Brewer.

Hector obviously on the naughty step. 

Message clearly given out to Kirk and Jayiesimu to go and find another club.

And I hate to say this but is Camara's slight foot injury now one that is going to keep him out for months?

I think AMB, while a promising young keeper, has been given far too much leeway over the past nine months. Sticking by him all second half with Jojo on the bench was a mistake in my opinion. He was awful coming off his line for their first goal last week. I don't think he's a bad keeper, I don't think he's made a ton of awful mistakes, but this team has let in enough goals that it's time to give our well rated #2 a shot.

I don't think we've learned anything new about Kirk and DJ, I think it's more about finding clubs to take on their wages 
  • Options
    Ten minutes of F1 Quali

Then can fully focus on the Football
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    What’s the news on Camara’s “minor” foot injury then? Anybody know?

How on earth can Holden “know his best eleven” when five of his probably preferred players haven’t been available?
    I think that's fair about best XI, but if we're playing 3-4-3 it will be our third different formation in five games. That is concerning. But yes the injuries have made it tough 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Leaving your glasses in your car is the best thing that has happened to you today.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!