Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH THREAD: Oxford United vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 26th August 2023: KO 3:00pm

Comments

• Southbank said:
    Not just outplayed but outclassed
    By a very very average Division Three Oxford United.
    They look far better than average but that’s probably us that’s making them look like that . 
    That’s the thing. Oxford look very good but I don’t feel confident saying they’ll be in the promotion picture come May because of who they’re playing against today.
  • Are we actually calling out shape and Holden tactics?  Do you think it might be underfunding, bad use of what little funding we’ve had and a shit load of injuries?  I do, we could have Pep we’d still be shite.
    Honestly I think it’s a bit of all of those. It’s not a great squad, it certainly needs additions and some of those we have brought in are apparently still not fit enough to start. 

That being said, Holden is not getting the most out of this bad situation. 
  • edited August 2023
    Harsh on the 4 youngsters if he goes in their at half time throwing the tea cups about.
    They shouldn't have been playing in the first place.

This whole set up is a shit show.
    I owe an apology to the people on here who rightly commented that we had not changed enough from last season to be anything better than mid-table. They were correct. 
  • Should be 3 down. Awful performance so far.
  • Are we actually calling out shape and Holden tactics?  Do you think it might be underfunding, bad use of what little funding we’ve had and a shit load of injuries?  I do, we could have Pep we’d still be shite.
    Nope, not when you make a song and dance about having an entire week to prepare and working on defensive situations, and then after 40 mins you've had to sub off a defender and change the system
  • When you think things can’t get worse, they usually do with Charlton. Holden seems clueless. Will Methven, Scott etc have the guts to change manager this early, given he was their choice from the get-go?
  • Oggy Red said:
    se9addick said:
    Making a sub right before half time? Hmm, puzzling to say the least. 
    Not wonderful for a 19 year olds confidence either I would imagine…
    Yeah, but the lad isn't being hooked early because he's having a mare, it's a tactical change.

I should imagine he was pleased to come off. Playing for this shit show won’t do his confidence any good. He is better off sitting watching. 
  • Setting new lows, season after season.  

Just generally exasperated by it all.
  • Even their crossbar challenge is far superior to ours.
  • Sponsored links:

• We could still turn this round and only lose 3-0  :s
  • Uboat said:
    Well at least we can’t play this badly again in the second half. 

Ha ha, I’m joking. Of course we can. 
    Convinced we're going to turn it around.

Apparently Oxford should be 3 or 4 up. When that is us we usually lose. So now its our chance to turn it around. 
    Golfie has had his account hacked 
  • Their cross bar challenge is better than ours!!
    FFS!!!

• Oggy Red said:
    se9addick said:
    Making a sub right before half time? Hmm, puzzling to say the least. 
    Not wonderful for a 19 year olds confidence either I would imagine…
    Yeah, but the lad isn't being hooked early because he's having a mare, it's a tactical change.

Bit of both, if he wasn't having a mare you don't change the system...
  • Fed up with these formations they look clueless at the back in a 3 no left back best attacking play CBT wing back don’t work either way defensively or attacking. Looks like we gone 1 up top now. We’ve done this for last 3 seasons. 
    Just go 442 we’ve got 5 in middle of park now and Oxford are still dominating midfield 
  • Holden plays 4-3-3 and does well last season. 

Decides, without any wing-backs, to commit to 3-5-2 this season. Absolutely braindead decision and getting found out every game. 
    MIGHT not be too bad if we were playing 3-5-2 with Fraser in his team... But he's trying to play it without our main creative Midfielder.
    But why did he change formation in the summer to one where we don't have the players to play it? His stubborn love for 3-5-2 has led to far too many poor first-half performances. 
  • ross1 said:
    We could still turn this round and only lose 3-0  :s
    Don't know whether to laugh or cry at that,...
    A shit load of injuries, yes. The rest, we've signed May, Jones, Taylor, and Edun for fees. Isted and Camara were sought after. Hector and Thomas played in the Championship before joining us. C Campbell did well in the division last year.

Miles and Fraser are big misses, as is Camara. But of those listed above, only Camara is not available today. And you've had almost all pre season to plan for not having Miles, and we clearly haven't. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Not watching the game, but after they scored were we absolutely dog shit for 5 mins immediately after the goal?
  • Its only taken 4 games to ruin Asimwe & Anderson. Against Orient on Aug 5th they looked mustard.  

Well done Holden.
  • Not watching but clear from the last couple of home games against poor opposition that we are tactically inept and that's the manager's fault - relying on too many youngsters who are not ready yet - how can McGrandles be so good at Lincoln and Cambridge yet can't even get in this team - midfield have.been shocking defensively this season apart from Dobbo.
  • I dare not put the PL scores up but at least they have cheered me up !
  • Matches are won and lost on the training pitch, and we clearly are not getting the training right...
  • sam3110 said:
    Are we actually calling out shape and Holden tactics?  Do you think it might be underfunding, bad use of what little funding we’ve had and a shit load of injuries?  I do, we could have Pep we’d still be shite.
    Nope, not when you make a song and dance about having an entire week to prepare and working on defensive situations, and then after 40 mins you've had to sub off a defender and change the system
    But those interviews are just pre planned clichés, that’s all they’ve ever been.  What do you expect him to say, it’s been an average week of training?
  • Holden is out of his depth. 
    Without getting on his back as his hands are tied.  He should not have been given the job after only managing 50 games.
  • Taylor on at HT?
  • Hector on for Ness | Campbell replaces Kanu
  • Addicks are back out. Tyreece Campbell is coming on, as is Michael Hector. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!