Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Port Vale | Saturday 19th August 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    Just a thought, but if May works better off of knock downs from a big lump up alongside him why not stick Hector/Thomas/Jones/Ness up along side him for a bit?
  • Options
    Just a thought, but if May works better off of knock downs from a big lump up alongside him why not stick Hector/Thomas/Jones/Ness up along side him for a bit?
    Define 'for a bit'!?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Define 'for a bit'!?
    Last 20 minutes or so. Martin O'Neill used to do it regularly with pretty good results
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    mendonca said:
    Define 'for a bit'!?
    Last 20 minutes or so. Martin O'Neill used to do it regularly with pretty good results
    We tried that with Phil Chapple once. He went up front for the last 10 minutes of a game and did well so we started him up front the next game. I still have nightmares thinking about it!
  • Options
    We tried it with Naby a couple of times. And he got the equaliser at Loftus Rd!
    I think we have a plan!
  • Options
    0-1, probably injury time….
  • Options
    I’ll be travelling more in hope than expectation.
  • Options
    Could this be the game we click? 

Fully expecting Port Vale to come and put men behind the ball, time waste and try and nick something. 

We need two up top and to be more solid at the back so I'd get Hector and Kanu in the team. 

Keep the faith and get behind the lads!
  • Options
    Sorry if I’ve missed it but what is Frasers injury and how long out?
  • Options
    Our Management seem to have become vague discussing injuries and their timeline. It seems approx 2 months minimum. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    How have we gone from having Rak-Sakyi on the right to now picking between Payne and Kanu playing out of position :( 

With Payne the only proper option for wide right and how dreadful he was on Tuesday,  I think I would return to the 3-5-2. Asiimwe doesn’t deserve to be dropped but we do have to be careful with overplaying our kids and I think we have to get CBT on the pitch somehow

AMB
             Jones    Hector   Thomas 
    CBT                                       Edun 
          Anderson Dobson Camara 
                     Kanu     May 

It’s not ideal but it does at least give May a partner and doesn’t ask Kanu to play wide. Other option could be a 4-4-2 but again the wide midfielder options are not great
    kanu has played in that wide role much more than up front for u18s so would be comfortable
  • Options
    Calf injury out until next next month sometime 🤷‍♂️. Here you go;
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/holden-previews-bristol-rovers-visit#:~:text=“Scotty%20unfortunately%20picked%20up%20a,for%20a%20number%20of%20weeks.”
  • Options
    Hard to tell how this  will one will pan out but we need to win this 
    But for me it's got a draw all over it
    Hopefully I am wrong so 
    COYR Let's do this

• Options
    This could get ugly very quickly if we don’t win on Saturday imo.
    What's the point?
  • Options
    I was as impressed with Kanu's closing and a slide tackling their defender to set up a chance for May, as I was with his goal.
  • Options
    My Dad and brother subbing for my lad and I today as we are visiting a mouse character with a French accent 🤦🏻‍♂️. Sending positive vibes and luck to all those attending - 2-1 to us… Less comfortable than it ought to be for all the reasons we are continuing to discuss. May opens his account!
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I'll go with

---------AMB
    Asiimwe Jones Hector Edun
    --Dobson Taylor Camara
    ------CBT May Kirk

Last of the last chances for Kirk before he's out the door. Gets his preferred left wing position, in his preferred formation, with an attacking left full back overlapping behind him. If we recreate the conditions he had at Crewe and he still can't do it...

I also like the balance of Asiimwe and CBT on the right hand side. It'll stop CBT from cutting in every time and hacking shots into row Z plus he can focus on getting to the byline and putting in dangerous crosses as often as possible because he has a more defensive minded full back behind him.

Karoy and Camara both probably need a rest - Taylor to come in and play 60+ mins.
    No Kirk, he's not even in the last chance saloon. He is on the stagecoach that is about to leave town and he knows it. Why would he put himself out and risk injury and his next job?

• Options
    The optimist in me says we are due a little luck 🍀 today and might edge it.

The realist says 1-1 

We really shouldn’t be relying upon luck however…..
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I was fairly confident we would do well this season so decided for each game I was going to put a fiver on us to win.

First week was all fine, obviously, but since then .....

Question is, do I stick with the original plan or just cut my losses and bin it as a bad idea, just four games in?
    Thanks for all your comments.

I've decided to stick with the original plan, for now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got my tickets.

Charlton rout.

• Options
    What's the point?
    I think his point is if we don't win today
    some of our fans will turn on Holden 

• Options
    Wellred said:
    What's the point?
    I think his point is if we don't win today
    some of our fans will turn on Holden 

There were a couple of guys saying Holden out in the East Stand bogs after Tuesday nights defeat. 
  • Options
    Wasn't just in the bogs either coming out of the ground quite a few was saying they have had enough of him
  • Options
    We desperately need a win.

Alfie desperately needs a goal, as he'll be feeling the pressure now. Indeed that's probably why he slammed that shot so hard on Tuesday (against the post) instead of just passing it in. Hopefully he'll get the classic deflection off his arse type of goal to settle the nerves - PV defender in the box clears the ball, it hits another defender, bounces off a 3rd defender and then off the posterior of Alfie for the opening goal!
  • Options
    Anyone know what’s going on with the trains? Come into Waterloo but nothing showing from Waterloo East into London Bridge. And London Bridge itself only seems to have a handful of trains running?
  • Options
    Anyone know what’s going on with the trains? Come into Waterloo but nothing showing from Waterloo East into London Bridge. And London Bridge itself only seems to have a handful of trains running?
    Charing Cross and Waterloo East are shut.

There are trains from London Bridge and Victoria at 04 and 34 past the hour
  • Options
    Wigan 2-0 up at Bolton, currently 1 point behind us.
  • Options
    Battle of the Valiants. 2-0 to us.
  • Options
    I know I’m old fashioned but all this “so and so needs a rest” after three games makes me shake my head.  After 23 games maybe but these guys are professional athletes. What has happened to our glorious game?
    18 year olds might need a rest after a run of games. In the old days you didn’t get so many 18 years being chucked on at the deep end. And did they play Saturday -Tuesday like they do now?