Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Port Vale | Saturday 19th August 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    Is this you happy Grumps?
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Actually think this one is a must win for a couple of reasons. Which is weird to say 4 games into the season. However, failure to win will start to change the atmosphere and patience fans have. It will also heap the pressure on the team and management as we near the end of the transfer window.

I can’t see Jones starting the 3rd game in a week, so Hector comes in. I would also like to see Kanu start. His confidence visibly improved after his goal and rather than having a striker on the bench, I’d rather get the game won first.

Isted will probably be thinking he’ll get his chance soon if AMB doesn’t have a great game too.

Maynard-Brewer
    Asiimwe - Ness - Hector - Edun
    Anderson - Dobson - Camara
    Kanu - May - Blackett-Taylor

This team will have Anderson tucking in to beef up the midfield and allow Asiimwe to push on to bring the width. Kanu to be like an inside forward and get as close to May as possible, as much as possible. Blackett-Taylor and Edun providing the width on the left.

Time for a clean sheet too, the team needs it.

Charlton 2-0 Port Vale
    May
    Blackett-Taylor
    Have I ever told you that I like the cut of your jib, Sage ? 

Your thoughts on the set up & participants for Saturday echo those of the Fanackapans.

In an aside, I spotted only 1 magpie on the way to P'Boro last weekend, another single on the way to SE7 on Tuesday evening & to top it all, yet another lonely Noocastle feathered supporter en route to Canterbury this morning. 

Can you spot the unwanted link ? 

( But clocked 2 pairs on the way home tonight...Hopefully a positive omen for our next match ) 
  • Options
    .LargeAddick said:
    4th game in with just one senior striker. Been over a month since Leaburn was injured and we haven't addressed the situation. We can't start with two up top as we leave ourselves open to finishing the game with no striker on the pitch. As a result 1-0 to Port Vale.
    Sorry Large, I don’t get that bit.  Kanu might not last the 90, but May seems quite fit?
  • Options
    4th game in with just one senior striker. Been over a month since Leaburn was injured and we haven't addressed the situation. We can't start with two up top as we leave ourselves open to finishing the game with no striker on the pitch. As a result 1-0 to Port Vale.
    This
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    brewer

edun
    Ness
    Hector
    asimwe

cbt
    dobson
    camara
    anderson

kanu
    may

don't ever want to see that one up front nonsense again, certainly not with a tiny centre forward 

• Options
    If I was a betting man 0-0 sounds ideal this Saturday.
    Still remember playing Port Vale 2-2 draw and Clive Mendonca picking up an injury that brought an end to his Charlton career.1999

i think QPR away in December '98 was the last time the great man played for us.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Sage said:
    failure to win will start to change the atmosphere and patience fans have. 
    I think that ship has left the harbour...
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    .LargeAddick said:
    Sorry Large, I don’t get that bit.  Kanu might not last the 90, but May seems quite fit?
    You do know that players can pick up injuries during the game?
  • Options
    Still remember playing Port Vale 2-2 draw and Clive Mendonca picking up an injury that brought an end to his Charlton career.1999
    Are you sure? I can remember him playing in a few games at start of the Premiership- didn't he get a hat trick against Southampton?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are you sure? I can remember him playing in a few games at start of the Premiership- didn't he get a hat trick against Southampton?
    1999, not 1998 which you are referring at re the Southampton game 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    shirty5 said:
    He scored a hat trick in 98 against Southampton. 

He was definitely part of the 1999/2000 Div 1 squad at the beginning of that season.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

He was definitely part of the 1999/2000 Div 1 squad at the beginning of that season.
    Yes was past his brilliant best by then but still scored a few. 
  • Options
    Mostly looking forward to the excuses in the post match if I’m honest, I hope he goes for something jaunty and full of fun & humour and doesn’t call out the 27 billionaire owners who have spent more on flights, vol-au-vents and accommodation than bloody centre forwards…. I mean don’t forget they saved the club(maybe)
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Correct answer 
  • Options
    Blackpool fan at work said be prepared for 7 behind the ball and lots of disruptions in play.
  • Options
    Game four of the season and our first "must win" match if only to settle a few nerves.

Port Vale I suspect will arrive defensively loaded, sit deep and try and disrupt our momentum then attempt to sneak a goal on the break, just like most middle/lower league teams. We've had enough practice against these teams, let's see if we've learned any lessons. 

We worked hard on Tuesday night but we failed to turn possession into goal attempts and from those we carved out we took one. So the emphasis has to be on getting the ball forward a bit faster and creating chances, I'd like to see someone promoted to the starting line up with a bit of pace on the right. Playing Jack Payne there on Tuesday slowed things up. Maybe even shove Nathan Asiimwe further up the pitch? That would mean three centre backs which is a formation we're familiar with playing. 

Daniel Kanu has earned a start and since we are lacking goal scoring options it doesn't make sense to leave him on the bench for two thirds of the game. We're better off playing him for 60 minutes rather than the last third. He would come into a starting line up with several other Academy graduates especially Karoy Anderson in central midfield who he has played with in age group football. It was no coincidence that Anderson provided the through ball for Kanu's goal. 

Elsewhere - our defence just needs to be tighter, we conceded two clumsy goals and if we are being honest we should have shipped several others. We reverted to mistakes that blighted our last couple of seasons - switching off and not winning the second ball in the ball in the penalty area. If you can't get to the first ball, then you have to mop up the second ball. 

• Options
    LTKapal said:
    Blackpool fan at work said be prepared for 7 behind the ball and lots of disruptions in play.
    Charlton fan in Briston says be prepared for all our players behind the ball (when we've lumped it long) and lots of disruptions in play due to our short-arsed striker being offside.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    shirty5 said:

Yes was past his brilliant best by then but still scored a few. 
    Better than we have now without a doubt.
    Those two goals against Port Vale 27thNov99 were his last two goals for Charlton. 

Mendonca and Hunt , now that was a strike force. Maybe Andy Scott can speak to both of them to find out what a striker is about.
  • Options
    Pretty sad state of affairs that we're worried about playing Port Vale who got thumped 7-0 in their opening game.

After a pretty dismal display against Bristol Rovers our defence needs to improve and May needs to start scoring.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    A win is needed to make sure we dont get in losing/saftey first mindset, think back to the Adkins season and how the gameplan and body language changed as we struggled to pick up a win. This is why shrugging the shoulders and laughing off the energy drink cup loss was misjudged, wining breeds confidence and form.

wont expect to see any changes, mainly because.....we..dont have many options.... so...

AMB
      Asiimwe Hector Thomas Edun
        Anderson Dobson Camara
                Payne May CBT

Istead, Jones, Ness, Taylor McGrandles, Kirk, Kanu

2-0

Hard fought win, we'll have the best midfield in the league, May on course for 27 league goals and promotion party planning will start again as we only need one decent addition to the squad to make top 2 because our players are seriously underrated by everyone other than Leuthy.  ;) 
  • Options
    Routine home win , hold on meant to say right old struggle 2-1 home win.
  • Options
    Routine home win , hold on meant to say right old struggle 2-1 home win.
    Think you were right the first time.... that is routine for us!
  • Options
    I fear the worst with this one. 
    After their 7-0 drubbing they have obviously tightened up and their strength is set pieces. We lack a bit of cutting edge upfront and can’t defend set pieces. What could possibly go wrong? 
  • Options
    2 nil home win
  • Options
    Vale will do the same to us as Barnsley did to them.

0-7.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    .LargeAddick said:
    But if you start two up top, Kanu and May, the likelihood of them both getting injured is very slim. If it happed it would probably only be towards the end of a game, and you just play with a false nine.
    I agree that we need at least one more striker though. Ideally a proper signing and a Prem youngster on loan, like JRS.
    In the meantime, sod it, play two up top, throw caution to the wind.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    .LargeAddick said:
    But if you start two up top, Kanu and May, the likelihood of them both getting injured is very slim. If it happed it would probably only be towards the end of a game, and you just play with a false nine.
    I agree that we need at least one more striker though. Ideally a proper signing and a Prem youngster on loan, like JRS.
    In the meantime, sod it, play two up top, throw caution to the wind.

What was the likelihood of losing 2 right backs (Egbo, Chin) and 1 makeshift right wing back (Campbell) at the same match?
  • Options
    4-0 Charlton, hat-trick Alfie.