Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Port Vale | Saturday 19th August 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    .LargeAddick said:
    4th game in with just one senior striker. Been over a month since Leaburn was injured and we haven't addressed the situation. We can't start with two up top as we leave ourselves open to finishing the game with no striker on the pitch. As a result 1-0 to Port Vale.
    Sorry Large, I don’t get that bit.  Kanu might not last the 90, but May seems quite fit?
    You do know that players can pick up injuries during the game?
    But if you start two up top, Kanu and May, the likelihood of them both getting injured is very slim. If it happed it would probably only be towards the end of a game, and you just play with a false nine.
    I agree that we need at least one more striker though. Ideally a proper signing and a Prem youngster on loan, like JRS.
    In the meantime, sod it, play two up top, throw caution to the wind.

What was the likelihood of losing 2 right backs (Egbo, Chin) and 1 makeshift right wing back (Campbell) at the same match?
    Yeah these things happen, but very rarely, although we did have two shoulder dislocations in one game a couple of years back as well.
    Perhaps we are cursed, as the boss thinks!
    There's a lot of 'glass half empty, what about if' stuff going on here! I mean, come on....   😂

PS I have a feeling Egbo wasn't really injured in the warm up, perhaps his Colchester deal had just gone through?
  • Options
    Im feeling positive. The rip roaring goal scoring addicks will get hms piss the league back on track with a 1-1 draw against the mighty mahoosive port of vale. 
  • Options
    I suspect Hector will come in for Jones. I hope Holden is brave enough to put in Kanu from the start, rather than the mess that was Payne. Hopefully Edun can start again, otherwise it's potentially Thomas again in potentially a 3 at the back. Similarly with Camara, hope he can start again - I'm not completely averse to the potential of both Dobson and Taylor playing together, as it may mean less hoof ball from the CBs. I think Holden said one of the injured players was close to being on the bench on Tuesday - suspect that might be Leaburn or Aneke, which would be a positive step.

God knows what the score will be. I have no idea. Praying for a 1-0 victory, but after Tuesday night, I have my concerns - we've leaked a few goals from mistakes and it's worrying. Feels important already to avoid defeat, or results will start getting in their heads and the crowd will turn on them more. We deserve a bit of luck, so I'm trying to stay positive!

COYA
  • Options
    Just keep a clean sheet. We have to be harder to beat. We're going to have another middling season if we can't build a solid foundation at the back.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    .LargeAddick said:
    4th game in with just one senior striker. Been over a month since Leaburn was injured and we haven't addressed the situation. We can't start with two up top as we leave ourselves open to finishing the game with no striker on the pitch. As a result 1-0 to Port Vale.
    Sorry Large, I don’t get that bit.  Kanu might not last the 90, but May seems quite fit?
    But if you start two up top, Kanu and May, the likelihood of them both getting injured is very slim. If it happed it would probably only be towards the end of a game, and you just play with a false nine.
    I agree that we need at least one more striker though. Ideally a proper signing and a Prem youngster on loan, like JRS.

What was the likelihood of losing 2 right backs (Egbo, Chin) and 1 makeshift right wing back (Campbell) at the same match?
    Yeah these things happen, but very rarely, although we did have two shoulder dislocations in one game a couple of years back as well.
    There's a lot of 'glass half empty, what about if' stuff going on here! I mean, come on....   😂

PS I have a feeling Egbo wasn't really injured in the warm up, perhaps his Colchester deal had just gone through?

Cullen and Vetokele wasn't it?

Typical Charlton, it couldn't have happened to anyone expendable.
  • Options
    I think we'll win this one, but we'll huff and puff. 1-0 Charlton.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    .LargeAddick said:

Cullen and Vetokele wasn't it?

Typical Charlton, it couldn't have happened to anyone expendable.

Yeah away at Walsall in the promotion season , think they both missed months. 
  • Options
    What ever happens we need 2 up top fed up with chucking the season away at start with playing 1 up front. 
    I’d be tempted to chuck Thomas up front 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Just keep a clean sheet. We have to be harder to beat. We're going to have another middling season if we can't build a solid foundation at the back.
    Agree. I’d prefer a more negative set up generally, even though we’re at home. The football has been quite exciting, but right now we need points. 
  • Options
    I was fairly confident we would do well this season so decided for each game I was going to put a fiver on us to win.

First week was all fine, obviously, but since then .....

Question is, do I stick with the original plan or just cut my losses and bin it as a bad idea, just four games in?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    .LargeAddick said:
    let's say though that May gets injured after 10 minutes, Kanu is out on his knees after 70 minutes, we play the last 20 with Krk/Payne/CBT up front? Can't risk them starting together in my opinion.
  • Options
    Nice thinking Callumcafc, but do you honestly see DH following your example? No I thought not 🤔
  • Options
    It's the CBT putting in dangerous crosses from the byline bit that strains credulity
  • Options
    @Callumcafc - Agreed. Can’t see Kanu being ready yet to play the 90 mins and feel Payne must come out of the starting 11.

2-1 Charlton. Going to be much harder work than it needs to be. 
  • Options
    It's the CBT putting in dangerous crosses from the byline bit that strains credulity
    CBT can put in dangerous crosses ... but no bugger is ever there to get on the end of them.

Is it any wonder, then, that Corey is now tending to have a crack himself instead of passing/crossing?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    .LargeAddick said:
    let's say though that May gets injured after 10 minutes, Kanu is out on his knees after 70 minutes, we play the last 20 with Krk/Payne/CBT up front? Can't risk them starting together in my opinion.
    Would rather see our only 2 fit strikers start the game than Kirk or Payne again and why does everyone say that Kanu can't last 90 minutes he hasn't had a spell out injured has he?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Callumcafc - Agreed. Can’t see Kanu being ready yet to play the 90 mins and feel Payne must come out of the starting 11.

2-1 Charlton. Going to be much harder work than it needs to be. 
    Does he need to play the full 90? I'd give him 60/70 minutes and then sub him for Jack Payne who can be useful in short bursts but looks limited in longer spells. We aren't scoring enough goals or creating enough chances, fielding one striker plays into the hands of a defensively minded team.
  • Options
    We wont lose against Port Vale 
    dull 1-0 , 2-0, 2-1 , 0-0 1-1 hedging my bets
  • Options
    Ah, the Valiants Derby 😄.

Have to start with either 2 up front or May, Kanu & CBT in a front 3. Anything else is just same old same old and wont lead to a win. 

Decided not to go tomorrow. Haven't bought a ST and said I would pick & choose games.  After tues evening decided i would give this one a miss & go to the Fleetwood match on the 2nd Sept.....hopefully will see some new players then.  

Think it will he a hard fought draw. 1-1.
  • Options
    Need a result, a loss is a woeful start to the league, a draw is lower table form, a win puts us in touching distance with those above. 

It's not a must win but it's an important game. One of the weakest sides on paper in the division and at home.
    Is that us, you’re referring to?
  • Options
    I'd feart this if they were first. We only break the worst of runs
  • Options
    If that doesn't set off klaxxons in your head nothing will.

Quick question: why is it that we help other clubs/players break these kinds of dire runs but no-one ever cares to help us win a game after conceding first? Surely there must be plenty of clubs who owe us a favour or five?
  • Options
    Really dreading this. Another defeat and we really are ready to throw the towel in again. So sick of it. Multiple injuries again, threadbare squad additions again and an ever emptying Valley. Our wage bill is higher than theirs as it was in midweek but that means nothing. 1-0 Port Vale.
  • Options
    Really dreading this. Another defeat and we really are ready to throw the towel in again. So sick of it. Multiple injuries again, threadbare squad additions again and an ever emptying Valley. Our wage bill is higher than theirs as it was in midweek but that means nothing. 1-0 Port Vale.
    Our wage bill may be higher but that doesn't mean the wages are earned or commensurate with the ability/attitude displayed.
  • Options
    On a side note Banstead CC U16's have made it to the National finals and are playing at Lord's on 2nd September , my mates son plays for them and Kent , they've moved over that way in last couple of years