Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Port Vale | Saturday 19th August 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Port Vale
Saturday 19th August 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Sunny Singh Gill

Introduction
Well then... Its been a bit of a rough start for the Addicks hasn't it... A win against Leyton Orient on the opening day of the season was less than impressive, and even then highlighted defensive issues which have come home to roost in our last three result - Under Dean Holden we've shown our ability going forward, but still look fragile. Charlton have the chance to get the season up and running with another game at the Valley this coming Saturday... No season can be a complete waste this early, but it can go some way to ensuring it.

The Opposition
Name: Port Vale (13th) | Manager: Andy Crosby
Ground: Vale Park
Previous League Result: Blackpool 0-0 Port Vale

It were 90-minutes to forget the Valiants on the opening day of the season

Losing 7-0 at Barnsley was perhaps the worst way to start any campaign - But here is the irony, since conceding seven goals in that clash, they've not conceded in the League since... Following on from that defeat; Port Vale were able to record a 1-0 win over Reading, before picking up another clean sheet at Blackpool in midweek.

This after all is an appointment that Andy Crosby has been waiting for, and wont want to mess it up - His name will be known to some Charlton fans, as the right hand man to Nigel Adkins, and someone he wanted during his own Managerial tenure at SE7... This coming season will be Andy's first as a Manager, having replaced Darrell Clarke in April, initially as Interim Manager, before being appointed to the job in the summer.

In terms of setup; Vale seem to opt for a back three, whilst operating with either two Strikers up top (last season), or this season where he's chosen to go with the lone front man - That lone Striker; Josh Thomas is currently on loan from Swansea this summer, whilst Conor Grant (signed after his release from Plymouth) will be the one to watch from Midfield; Grant wasn't overly involved in the Pilgrims charge to the title last year, but will be a creative threat, having grabbed seven assists in 2021/22.

Charlton Team News
The worst aspect about this poor start to the season, is the fact that Holden must be careful about making too many changes

Teams that ultimately fight for promotion are built on stability, and whilst our Defence isn't impressing, we need a settled team where possible - The biggest issue is our lack of firepower up top... I think its unlikely we'll have another Striker in ahead of Saturday, let alone ready to start  alongside Alfie May, so Holden must decide whether its worth the risk starting both his Strikers from the off, or stick with the conservative approach and keep Daniel Kanu in reserve, should the worst happen with both on the pitch.

Maynard-Brewer
Asiimwe - Jones - Ness - Edun
Anderson - Dobson - Camara
Kanu - May - Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Isted - Hector - Thomas - Payne - Taylor - Kirk - McGrandles

Comments

• Options
    as Seth P would have it, it's getting like that .. a win would just quell the increasing aura of doom hanging over CL .. as with Bristol Rovers, Vale is a well managed (both football and financially), smaller club that has always given it a right good go
    It seems that as ever, our players need a good kick up the arse to get them motivated .. we all hope that they are getting the right instructions from the management .. all very well having nice cozy videos about roomies and such, and smarming the fans on Spanish trips, what is needed is some action, some results, less propaganda, more positivity and action .. a tough, well organised outfit like Vale must be overcome to regain some credibility .. and let's see a 4 4 2 and forget the fancy formations which i m o only serve to confuse the players
  • Options
    Can't see anything other than a vale win
  • Options
    Need a result, a loss is a woeful start to the league, a draw is lower table form, a win puts us in touching distance with those above. 

It's not a must win but it's an important game. One of the weakest sides on paper in the division and at home.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    How have we gone from having Rak-Sakyi on the right to now picking between Payne and Kanu playing out of position :( 

With Payne the only proper option for wide right and how dreadful he was on Tuesday,  I think I would return to the 3-5-2. Asiimwe doesn’t deserve to be dropped but we do have to be careful with overplaying our kids and I think we have to get CBT on the pitch somehow

AMB
             Jones    Hector   Thomas 
    CBT                                       Edun 
          Anderson Dobson Camara 
                     Kanu     May 

It’s not ideal but it does at least give May a partner and doesn’t ask Kanu to play wide. Other option could be a 4-4-2 but again the wide midfielder options are not great
  • Options
    In for another frustrating afternoon I fear. Desperately need a win but we may have to settle for a point. We all know what we need to strengthen this squad. 
  • Options
    It's little short of scandalous that this is our fourth competitive match of the 2023=24 season and we still only have one fit senior striker and no replacement for Rak Saki or Clare.

The juniors are doing us proud  but they should be eased in gradually to build their confidence and strength- no surprise one of them is already injured. 

Team Red Trousers is fast running out of time.  A  fragile squad with a dodgy defence, non-existence attack and over-reliant on junior academy products is not going anywhere but down. 

• Options
    It's little short of scandalous that this is our fourth competitive match of the 2023=24 season and we still only have one fit senior striker and no replacement for Rak Saki or Clare.

The juniors are doing us proud  but they should be eased in gradually to build their confidence and strength- no surprise one of them is already injured. 

Team Red Trousers is fast running out of time.  A  fragile squad with a dodgy defence, non-existence attack and over-reliant on junior academy products is not going anywhere but down. 

May is the Rak-Sakyi replacement, with the formation change to 3-5-2 he is now the goal threat alongside Leaburn that Rak-Sakyi was last season. It’s a Leaburn replacement we need for when he is injured that is the problem as we can’t play the formation properly with just May up there. 

Asiimwe is the Clare replacement and looks to be an upgrade for me, we do now need an Egbo replacement though but it sounds like Dabo will probably sign soon 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3-0 Alfie May hattrick
  • Options
    If we don't win this we could find ourselves nine points or more behind the top two before the end of August. It is surely a "must win"! I think we will get the win we need. 3-1 win, May to get off the mark. 
  • Options
    Spankie said:
    3-0 Alfie May hattrick
    And then CharltonLife will go mad in the Post Match Thread saying our season has started, we will piss the league and Alfie May will finish top goal scorer 😉
  • Options
    Must win. That’s it.
  • Options
    Must win. That’s it.
    Must win.

Won't win.

(Probably, he says, hedging his bets slightly ;))
  • Options
    My first game back after holiday, looking forward to the match despite the recent results, you cannot beat the emotion of watching your team live.

For fan moral this feels like a must win match, ideally a comfortable & convincing win too.
  • Options
    0-1 to the Vale.
  • Options
    Bit unlucky vs Peterborough and were the better side vs Brizzle Rovers.

I think we'll be OK. Charlton 3-0 Port Vale
  • Options
    They are due an away win. Last one back on New Year’s Day 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    B Rovers win on Tuesday was their first away win since December 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    I think the Charlton Athletic Benevolent Fund might spring into action given half a chance.

PLEASE win Charlton!
  • Options
    Need to win this and I think we will, but it won't be totally convincing a bit like the Orient game. 
  • Options
    As the OP has reported, Vale getting hammered 7-0 on the opening day has seen them get four points from the next two games.  This game is not going to be easy, they are playing with confidence, we are stuttering along.
  • Options
    20th by Sunday?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Vale have given up around 1100 passes in two games and collected 4 points while not conceding. 
    We’ve still got injuries, fitness issues and a lack of sharpness.  
    We can’t sustain a tempo yet, don’t have an aerial threat up front and struggle to create against a low lying back line. 

A patience testing 1-0 win, 3 points and into a week to recuperate and maybe sign a couple of new players…please!

Still optimistic. 
  • Options
    We go again... this time an early goal (fast start needed to impress us and payback for losing late on Tuesday) and then a reasonably late 2nd after the usual few scares we have to suffer. Addicks 2-0 CBT & May (finally off the mark)
  • Options
    4th game in with just one senior striker. Been over a month since Leaburn was injured and we haven't addressed the situation. We can't start with two up top as we leave ourselves open to finishing the game with no striker on the pitch. As a result 1-0 to Port Vale.
  • Options
    If I was a betting man 0-0 sounds ideal this Saturday.
    Still remember playing Port Vale 2-2 draw and Clive Mendonca picking up an injury that brought an end to his Charlton career.1999