Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

EFL 23/24 - Championship, League One, Wrexham's League Two featuring Wrexham

Comments

• Options
    Pompey will need a big big summer, usually a lot of league one winners do well in the Championship but i'm confident they won't.
    Been such a poor league this year and those in the top 3 are way below the standard to be successful in the league above. 
  • Options
    edited April 3
    On Wrexham, I think it’s funny how last summer the sentiment was “they’ll struggle in League 2, no chance they go up again” but now they’re joining us in League 1 (probably) the sentiment has changed to “they’ll be up there challenging for playoffs”.

Why do people think it will be easier for them in a harder league? Or is it just glass half empty thinking now that they’ll be in our division?
  • Options
    Be interesting to see how they get on, as League One is where it'll start getting harder

There never seems to be that much of a gap between National League and League Two, as the majority of the promoted teams tend to challenge for promotion straight away.

To be fair, the three promoted teams from League Two are all in the top eleven, and Parky knows this level extremely well - So wont be surprised if they do well again - Going to be new ground for Paul Mullin as well, who has a grand total of 3-goals in 20-games at this level.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Mousinho for the Manager award, first managerial job, Pompey been up there all season.

Don't like Evans but got to admire what he's done at Stevenage, just come up and been about the playoff for quite a while.

Ferguson, Boro always in the play off hunt but have fallen short so many times.

Not sure about Ferguson, Peterborough are just having the sort of season you'd expect. The other 2 are pretty obvious.

I imagine the shortlist was done too early, but the Lincoln manager Skubala surely deserves recognition as well. A ridiculous turnaround.

I'd not be surprised if Lincoln go up, they are on a fantastic run at exactly the right time.
  • Options
    On Wrexham, I think it’s funny how last summer the sentiment was “they’ll struggle in League 2, no chance they go up again” but now they’re joining us in League 1 (probably) the sentiment has changed to “they’ll be up there challenging for playoffs”.

Why do people think it will be easier for them in a harder league? Or is it just glass half empty thinking now that they’ll be in our division?
    Who said that? I've always thought the general consensus was that a lot of the strong sides coming out of the National league tend to do very well and go through league 2.

In the last 10 years Luton, Cheltenham, Lincoln and Orient have won the NL and are now in league 1 (Luton of course are much higher). Stockport won it 2 years ago and look like going up this year. Wrexham will likely go straight up this year. That's 6 NL champions in 10 years who will have gone through league 2 as well.

Wrexham have spent a lot of money and have a wage bill higher than some league one clubs, so it's surely no surprise they look like getting promoted.
    Momentum alone, I can see Stockport or Wrexham going up next season as well.
  • Options
    Wrexham achieved turnover of around £10.5 million in the year to 30/6/23 as a National League club and it's been suggested that this will increase to around £20 million in the current financial year ending 30 June. Notwithstanding the level of losses being sustained, Wrexham's financial muscle is likely to make them a threat if they make it out of League 2 this year.
  • Options
    Rotherham were formally relegated yesterday. In previous relegations, they'd been competitive in the Championship, with a great team spirit, and turned that into successful L1 promotion campaigns the next season, whereas this time it's been a pretty dispiriting experience, so I don't think it'll be so easy to bounce straight back.
  • Options
    Will it be a Yorkshire trio joining us? One down two to go.
  • Options
    FT Norwich 1 Dipswich 0 in the Derby that matters.

North Folk supremacy continues.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    FT Norwich 1 Dipswich 0 in the Derby that matters.

North Folk supremacy continues.
    Norwich finding some form and consistency just at the right time.
  • Options
    As someone currently living in Suffolk, if they end up in the playoffs and Norwich beat them in the semis or final it would make my week  :D
  • Options
    As someone currently living in Suffolk, if they end up in the playoffs and Norwich beat them in the semis or final it would make my week  :D
    If Norwich and Ipswich both end up in the play offs it'll be a semi final clash - Town are unlikely to drop below 3rd, Norwich probably finish 6th.

It'll give City two more opportunities to rub the other mob's noses in it.
  • Options
    edited April 6
    Ipswich havent beaten Norwich since 2009
  • Options
    Stockport very close to promotion - provably need two more wins to confirm.
  • Options
    Stockport avoid defeat on Saturday and they're definitely promoted.
  • Options
    From a pure away day points of view very pleased with Wrexham/Stockport/Mansfield being promoted. Better to have some new grounds compared to the same old grounds on a cycle. Add Crewe/Barrow or Crawley and that could be 4 new (league) grounds for mostly all of us. 
  • Options
    From a pure away day points of view very pleased with Wrexham/Stockport/Mansfield being promoted. Better to have some new grounds compared to the same old grounds on a cycle. Add Crewe/Barrow or Crawley and that could be 4 new (league) grounds for mostly all of us. 
    Mansfield might blow it - key game against MK Dons. Wrexham look dead certs to join Stockort.
  • Options
    Disastrous loss for Leicester last night. If they fail to go up they could be in real trouble with FFP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Disastrous loss for Leicester last night. If they fail to go up they could be in real trouble with FFP.
    If they end up third i feel they're almost guaranteed to not go up. It's very rare for a side who looked certs for automatic promotion but miss out at the very end and have to mentally readjust and go into the play offs, go on to actually win them.

The top 3 are all wobbling though, Leeds have 1 win in 4 and Ipswich have lost 2 of their last 5.
  • Options
    Mansfield might blow it - key game against MK Dons. Wrexham look dead certs to join Stockort.
    Hopefully they do, otherwise Alfie May will be with Stockport next season 😂

• Options
    I had no idea Rowett had gone to Birmingham as interim manager to replace Mowbray 
  • Options
    When Sheffield United next get relegated from the Premier League (this season), they'll start their Championship season on -2 points

https://www.sufc.co.uk/news/2024/april/11/club-statement/
  • Options

• Options
    Think Grandad might spend the weekend on the throne.
  • Options

63 miles apart 

respect to the Massives , proper support 
  • Options
    edited April 12
    Hang on... they've got an allocation of 4,000 (more if required)... but they're taking 7,000?

Please someone tell me what I'm clearly missing

I imagine they've been given a greater allocation, which takes them to 7,000 but why say all that in the same tweet?
  • Options
    Given 4k at the beginning , more if required ... well yep they needed more and sold the whole 7k