Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

EFL 23/24 - Championship, League One, Wrexham's League Two featuring Wrexham

I have a Player To Watch candidate for you all this season, Harry Smith of Sutton United, a Giant Bastard of the finest quality. Here we see him last week at 0:45 with some Completely Unnecessary (and Obscenely Protracted) Shithousing, immediately marking him as a man of profoundly low character. Later in the game of course (at 2:15) he scores a Giant Bastard Header, leaning on his poor defender as one might upon a gatepost to survey the scenery 

Followed up this week by some heroic Ultraviolence in the first fifteen minutes. The camera unfortunately misses everything except the prelude and the aftermath, beginning at 0:06, but I almost find the jump-cut between initial grappling and opponent writhing in agony to be more evocative than had we witnessed what transpired. It's a crying shame we will now be deprived of him for three games

Comments

• Options
    I see Harry Smith was back in Sutton's lineup against FGR at the weekend, but sadly failed to get a sniff up against a man even more formidable than himself
  • Options
    Ex Milwall so not surprised he's well versed in the art of shithousing. Been around most of League 2 now I think! 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I have a Player To Watch candidate for you all this season, Harry Smith of Sutton United, a Giant Bastard of the finest quality. Here we see him last week at 0:45 with some Completely Unnecessary (and Obscenely Protracted) Shithousing, immediately marking him as a man of profoundly low character. Later in the game of course (at 2:15) he scores a Giant Bastard Header, leaning on his poor defender as one might upon a gatepost to survey the scenery 

Followed up this week by some heroic Ultraviolence in the first fifteen minutes. The camera unfortunately misses everything except the prelude and the aftermath, beginning at 0:06, but I almost find the jump-cut between initial grappling and opponent writhing in agony to be more evocative than had we witnessed what transpired. It's a crying shame we will now be deprived of him for three games

I like the oppo given him a double handed wave off - maybe in response to his actions in the previous game 
  • Options
    I hadn't realised until watching the EFL highlights show that Cheltenham still haven't scored a goal this season. I knew Alfie May was important for them, but that's horrendous.
  • Options
    I hadn't realised until watching the EFL highlights show that Cheltenham still haven't scored a goal this season. I knew Alfie May was important for them, but that's horrendous.

Yeah it's been a bad start for them , think they've signed 4 strikers this past window too and nothing has clicked for them at all. 
  • Options
    Anyone watching the Live game tonight  - Southampton  v Leicester. Very open game & should be 3-5. Instead its only 1-3. 

On this basis I give Russel Martin 6 weeks. Awful defending. But but but we have to play out from the back & there is no plan B. Well, he might be re-thinking his plans if they have another 5 goal deficit. 
  • Options
    Very inexperienced looking Southampton defence, with a rookie keeper behind them
  • Options
    Leicester felt like the "best" team to go down in a long while, injuries and poor performances in defence did the damage but they had decent players.

I know they've lost a few but they"ve still got some very good players, and Coady, Winks were good signings for the Championship.  Think they'll cruise it this season.
  • Options
    Anyone that thinks our defending is school.boy needs to watch that game back 🙈
  • Options
    Leicester felt like the "best" team to go down in a long while, injuries and poor performances in defence did the damage but they had decent players.

I know they've lost a few but they"ve still got some very good players, and Coady, Winks were good signings for the Championship.  Think they'll cruise it this season.
    Very difficult to be definitive at this stage of the season. They are the bookies favourite for a reason but, as you say, they have lost the likes of Maddison, Barnes, Castagne, Soyuncu, Evans and Tielemans. They will undoubtedly be in the shake up but, perhaps, Leeds might actually pip them.

Leeds have had a bit of an indifferent start in dropping points at home but have had injuries (Bamford, Firpo, Dallas, Cooper and now Spence all out) and still recorded very good away wins at Ipswich (their only defeat of the season) and now Millwall. Leeds only finished three points behind Leicester last season and in Daniel Farke they have someone  who has worn the Championship winning T shirt - not once but twice. In fact, if we go back to his first Championship win with Norwich, they actually started the season with just five points from their first six games but still ended up with 94 points. They currently have nine points from the same number of games. 

We will only truly know the state of play and even whether the likes of Ipswich can maintain their excellent start after 15 games or so but I would probably rather be a backer of  Leeds at their current price of 8/1 than Leicester at 2/1 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pompey winning 3-0 away at Barnsley and are top of the table.

So can people finally agree with me that it fucking DOES help if you get your business done early rather than waiting until Sept 1st to finalise your squad.

Oh, and a couple of decent strikers help (Colbey Bishop scoring again !!) 

I know you wont like it.......BUT  I  WAS  RIGHT. 

Weren't they top this time last year too after early recruitment. They had time to prepare and get off to a good start. And then got found out because the players they had recruited were distinctly average. I expect that to happen again.

No one disputing that early business is better than late. It is why Portsmouth are where they are and why we are where we are.

I expect Portsmouth to slip down the table as the season progresses though as they did last year. Probably have a stronger squad in a weaker league to challenge the play offs though.
  • Options
    Amusingly Port Vale are currently top of the league with a negative goal difference. That can't happen too often
  • Options
    They still haven't scored a goal. Currently 0-0 at half time 
  • Options
    They still haven't scored a goal. Currently 0-0 at half time 
    And they're still not bottom!
  • Options
    Gillingham lead L2, having scored 7 goals in 8 games. Several very efficient 1-0 wins
  • Options
    Some bizarre scores in the Pizza Cup

Reading won 9-0 at Exeter, while Wigan beat Leicester U21 7-1
  • Options
    Port Vale losing at home to Burton. League One is defo up for grabs this season - no standout sides. 
  • Options
    Port Vale losing at home to Burton. League One is defo up for grabs this season - no standout sides. 
    Shouldn't go down then. 2 teams totally rubbish & 2 others with point deductions. 
  • Options
    Nobody believes Port Vale will be up there at the end of the season anyway
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ipswich 2nd in the Championship. 

This buying players & keeping a settled squad malarkey might just catch on
  • Options
    Cheltenham have still scored zero goals in the league this season. And had two players sent off tonight.

Makes being a Charlton and Kent supporter feel a bit better!
  • Options
    Ipswich 2nd in the Championship. 

This buying players & keeping a settled squad malarkey might just catch on
    Gets boring seeing the same players, I'd much rather see 15 new ones each season.
  • Options
    Pompey winning 3-0 away at Barnsley and are top of the table.

So can people finally agree with me that it fucking DOES help if you get your business done early rather than waiting until Sept 1st to finalise your squad.

Oh, and a couple of decent strikers help (Colbey Bishop scoring again !!) 

I know you wont like it.......BUT  I  WAS  RIGHT. 

No not really, they did the same thing the season we went up in the playoffs, they were top for the entire first half of the season. Tell me…..where did they finish?
  • Options
    Leicester and Ipswich 8 points clear of the team in 4th.
  • Options
    So??
  • Options
    Kips said:
    So??
    Quite a gap with only 8/9 games gone 
  • Options
    4 defeats in a row for Southampton, they have the worst defensive record in the championship and they play Leeds next week.

Huge pressure on Russell Martin.
  • Options
    5-0 win for Stockport over Wrexham. 3 wins on the bounce after a poor start to the season.