Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peterborough United vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 12th August 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

124»

Comments

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    I wonder if they’ll risk Edun starting on the left and playing CBT upfront with May.

I’d genuinely rather something more radical like Thomas upfront with May to help hold the ball up for him than Kirk. At least he’ll add some physicality.
    I like your first option more .  
    Me too, I was just thinking of any alternative to playing Kirk.
  • Options
    Felt optimistic for the season this time last week. Today not so much. Our injury curse a dampener already. What on earth is it with this club and injuries?????  Need to hope that Peterborough still have a hangover from THAT playoff. 
  • Options
    This might be the third competitive fixture of the most recent new era but so far there is little evidence to suggest to me we are any stronger than this time last season. Our 4-3-3 line up against Sheffield Weds in August last year looked much more balanced and stable. 

Someone also needs to explain to me why, when there is such an obvious lack of strike force, our most potent threat is playing in defence. 

2-0  easy ride for the Posh. 

Another new era melting before our eyes. 
    Especially given that he can’t defend!

In fairness, CBT wasn’t really in defence much against Orient (as @Callumcafc ‘s heat map analysis showed) but being able to release someone ostensibly playing as a wing back from defensive duties is going to be much harder away from home against a decent side. 

I’m hoping that we have a bit of tactical flexibility as playing the same formation and style that we did against Orient will leave us very exposed.
  • Options
    Felt optimistic for the season this time last week. Today not so much. Our injury curse a dampener already. What on earth is it with this club and injuries?????  Need to hope that Peterborough still have a hangover from THAT playoff. 
    Feel exactly like you 
  • Options
    1-2 Charlton. A very nervous 17 minutes of injury time in the second half.
  • Options
    Can't see us getting anything today. If anything I fear we may fall apart a bit and really show the lack of depth we have in the squad 
  • Options
    Can't see us getting anything today. If anything I fear we may fall apart a bit and really show the lack of depth we have in the squad 
    I’m in this camp too…until Percy Pinktrousers can dip his hand into all these billionaires pockets and find thirty quid for an average third division striker I really can’t see any change or improvement from the last couple of years worth of shit….
  • Options
    We travel in hope but 2-1 to Posh. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    People saying CBT up front. I can’t see it. What he is good at is getting the ball wide and running 1v1 at the full back. If you play him centrally it’s a lot harder to get him 1v1. Yes he’s quick but we already have May who can run in behind. If we don’t want CBT at wing back then we will have to play 3-4-3 or 4-3-3

With Fraser’s injury maybe 3-4-3 is a good option? Payne and CBT either side of May, Dobson and Camara as a 2 behind them, Edun LWB and then the usual rest of defence 
    I just think it’s better than playing a centre half up front 
  • Options
    I don't anticipate either Jones or Fraser starting as both were clearly struggling with injuries last week.  Hec and Camara are the obvious replacements. I'd also expect Edun to start to solidify that left side, with CBT, Kanu and Kirk battling it out to replace Tupac alongside Alfie Boy.

Records are there to be broken, so let's be optimistic and say 1-0 Addicks.
  • Options
    Can't see us winning this, but i'd take a point.
  • Options
    Over the last few season we've generally played better against the bigger teams in League One. 

Peterborough at home will be expected to take the game to us and not sit deep, defend tenaciously in two lines, continually hack the ball away and then try and grab a goal on the break before frustrating us into committing unforced errors. If they are a bit more open it might create a few gaps and we have some pace on the counter to exploit them. 

We need though a plan to deal with Jonson Clarke-Harris and Ephron Mason-Clark (who in any case may be injured). This match will be a tougher test of our back three than Leyton Orient, then again they should also have had an evening off against Newport County as well and that didn't happen.

I'd rather start with Daniel Kanu than Charlie Kirk and if he's match fit, Panutche Camara than Karoy Anderson. 

Terrel Thomas deserves a start at the left-back/left of three central defenders position, he linked well with CBT, I might be tempted to include Michael Hector just to do a job on JCH. His experience could be useful there. 
  • Options
    With Asiimwe (if he’s still injured), Egbo and Chin out, who are we going to play at right back/wing back ? Maybe DJ ? If we play with a second striker, it surely has to be Kanu rather than Kirk. 

Given what we have available, I’d be delighted with a point, which would set us up nicely for two home game next week
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    People definitely underselling our players and overselling Peterborough's in this thread. Not sure what the result will be, but I'd be confident we dominate much of the game
    Always the voice of reason on player opinion. 
  • Options
    Avoid defeat (and any further injuries) today and I’d be happy. Let’s get a run going. We’re always going to have a chance with May in the side.

I think the idea of CB-T up front is decent. Certainly don’t want to see Kirk up there again. Probably will be Payne.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kips said:
    I don't anticipate either Jones or Fraser starting ……
    Jesus, we’ve turned into Dad’s Army
    Don’t panic!!
  • Options
    Kips said:
    Will Anderson or Asiimwe be a stupid boy today?
  • Options
    Kips said:
    Don’t panic!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7NlFWh7Sz8
  • Options
    We don’t currently seem to have a quite strong enough first 11 and we are still playing chaps out of their positions to fit a formation.  I am not a Kirk fan and up front with May doesn’t work.  Our depth is what it is, highlighted rather sadly in the league cup exit.  So, on balance, I suspect a top 6 side at home to win fairly comfortably.  I am now worried that makes me a bad person, but I do hope we get footballers fit (?), avoid injuries and bring 2 or 3 more in before the end of the window.
  • Options
    Meh, for its worth....

AMB
    Asiimwe Héctor Thomas Edun
        Cámara Dobson Payne
                 Kirk May CBT

Probably the best team to put out without shuffling too many around out of position and having to squeeze in too many unfit players.
  • Options
    Blimey, did we really have 3 right backs/wb’s crocked in the Mickey Mouse cup game? Fraser & Leaburn out, have I missed one? Excluding poor old Chuks of course.
    New signings not fit yet. It’s deja-vu, all over again.

This game feels like a rerun of an old film, likely to be a tragedy (The Deer hunter?)

Or will it be the great escape ?          COYR !

• Options
    edited August 2023

Two changes for the Addicks. First league start for Pan Camara and Jack Payne also in. Campbell and Fraser both missing through injury.

Also no Terry Taylor or Manny Egbo in the squad at all. #cafc

— Louis Mendez (@LouisMend) August 12, 2023
  • Options
    3-5-2 with Payne up front with May or 4-3-3 with front three of Payne, May, CBT
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    ross1 said:
    I think they will switch to either or depending on the flow of the game. Four possible starters out and our squad looks very lightweight.