Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peterborough United vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 12th August 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Peterborough United vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 12th August 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Lee Swabey

Introduction
The Addicks opened their account for the season in the best way possible last Saturday. Unlikely scorer: George Dobson provided the difference between one point or three, against Leyton Orient last time out - It can take 10-15 games, before any realistic predictions can be made, however our clash this coming Saturday could well be an early six pointer, and the type we certainly wont want to lose, if we have any ambition come next April.

The Opposition
Name: Peterborough United (7th) | Manager: Darren Ferguson
Ground: London Road
Last League Result: Reading 0-1 Peterborough United

Could the League One season have ended in more dramatic fashion last year? - The Football League Play-Offs, regardless of the Division are infamous, yet for our opponents this Saturday, its something I'm sure they'll be happy to forget... An impressive 4-0 victory over Sheffield Wednesday in the first leg, and the Posh fans could dream of Wembley, after all, that type of lead had NEVER been overhauled... Records though are meant to be broken, and Hillsborough will forever bring haunting memories for the Cambridgeshire outfit.

So how do you recover from such a setback? - Well I guess the aim is you go one better, and Peterborough should be challengers come the business end of the season... Players need replacing though, important individuals (Jack Taylor | Frankie Kent) have been lost to Ipswich and Hearts retrospectively, whilst Centre-Back: Ronnie Edwards (my recommendation to watch on Saturday), who represented England at the U20 World Cup in the summer, could well end up leaving before the end of the Transfer Window.

Darren Ferguson, back in Peterborough for his Holidays usually opts for a 4-2-3-1 with this current Posh team, with Jonsson Clarke-Harris leading the line, so you'd expect both sides to be well matched come 3pm.

Charlton Team News
Injuries... Injuries... Why is it always injuries... If Charlton want to have a successful campaign then its imperative that we have a consistent team that we're able to put out - Six players are in doubt this coming Saturday, maybe its a ploy from Dean Holden, in an attempt to throw off his opponent. It won't be long before reinforcements are desperately needed.

Our customary early exit from the League Cup showed that our squad players can be nothing more than that, and certainly shouldn't be played en-mass, so I'd expect to see wholesale changes to the starting line up from what we saw against Clwb Pêl-droed Cymdeithas Sir Casnewydd - The bonus was that both Tayo Edun and Terry Taylor earned vital minutes, so should be part of the matchday squad this weekend.

Maynard-Brewer
Jones - Ness - Thomas
Asiimwe - Dobson - Anderson - Blackett-Taylor
Fraser
May - Kirk

Substitutes Bench: Isted - Edun - Hector - Taylor - Camara - Payne - Kanu

Comments

• Options
    Can a Mod update the Thread Category please... I wasnt give the option to select one.
  • Options
    Have to be honest we need to win, and I can't see the benefit of having such a strong bench. Camara, Hector and Payne for me to come in.

Camara for Anderson, Payne for Kirk, and Hector for Ness.
  • Options
    3 of our 5 new outfielders not fit enough to start and Kirk up front.
    4-0 Peterborough
  • Options
    Was at Newport and in pub before whwre directors were and they said Fraser is injured. Didn't say a time frame or not that I heard anyways but definitely injured.
  • Options
    Peterborough 2 - CAFC 0
  • Options
    Was at Newport and in pub before whwre directors were and they said Fraser is injured. Didn't say a time frame or not that I heard anyways but definitely injured.
    Well that's just swell, luckily enough we have a fair few options there, we'd be buggered by comparison if that was Hector or May.

Reckon Taylor will get the nod then, looked like he's ready to play fitness wise, just sharpness issues I would say was his main issue. Poor timing and awareness, got a good feeling about him if he gets a run in the team 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’d go with Camara, Anderson and Dobson in the middle with Kanu and May up top. Not expecting to win, would be delighted with a draw 
  • Options
    Well that's just swell, luckily enough we have a fair few options there, we'd be buggered by comparison if that was Hector or May.

Reckon Taylor will get the nod then, looked like he's ready to play fitness wise, just sharpness issues I would say was his main issue. Poor timing and awareness, got a good feeling about him if he gets a run in the team 
    We’ve got options but don’t really have anyone similar to Fraser, I think he will be a big miss. Taylor won’t be ready to start yet. Anderson Dobson Camara would be my 3 with Taylor on the bench 
  • Options
    I can’t see us getting anything from this tbh they seem to be in decent form I would be chuffed with a draw of any sort
  • Options
    Posh 3 Not Posh 0
  • Options
    I wonder if they’ll risk Edun starting on the left and playing CBT upfront with May.

I’d genuinely rather something more radical like Thomas upfront with May to help hold the ball up for him than Kirk. At least he’ll add some physicality.
  • Options
    Hard to predict team without knowing more about the injuries. There could be 3 injured players in that lineup.
  • Options
    5-0 to the Posh
  • Options
    Posh 3 Not Posh 0
    I bally well resent that
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    I wonder if they’ll risk Edun starting on the left and playing CBT upfront with May.

I’d genuinely rather something more radical like Thomas upfront with May to help hold the ball up for him than Kirk. At least he’ll add some physicality.
    NABY SARR REINCARNATION PROJECT COMPLETE
  • Options
    A must not lose.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I actually think we'll win 2-0 and absolutely not deserve it.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

That's what I'd go with. With CBT having a licence to wander wide as well. We just need midfielders prepared to bust a gut and get into the box to meet crosses. It can be any of them, as Dobson showed on Saturday.
  • Options
    Too many injuries and unfit players . Peterborough always give us problems.  3-0
    loss .
  • Options
    Tight 1-0 win for us. Yes another clean sheet I think. Alfie May to get off the mark.
  • Options
    For those that say surely all clubs get the same injuries and we just put our own under the spotlight....how many injuries do Peterborough have going into this?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    For those that say surely all clubs get the same injuries and we just put our own under the spotlight....how many injuries do Peterborough have going into this?
    I think Mason-Clark is injured. Arguably their best player.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    AMB

Jones Hector Thomas

Asiimwe Camara Dobson Fraser CBT

May Kirk

Ness needs a rest and I think Kirk is honestly the better choice over Kanu at this moment in time. If Fraser is unfit as rumoured then I think Anderson gets the nod - it probably comes too soon for Taylor and I am not overly confident in Payne starting there.