Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peterborough United vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 12th August 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    It’s very disappointing that only two games in I can’t see a way that we’ll get anything out of the game. We’ve definitely had a bit of bad luck with injuries but I still think we’re miles off where we ought to be at this point. Three weeks to get things sorted so let’s hope we don’t leave ourselves playing catch up all season. 
  • Options
    We have tough games coming up. How we tackle them speaks to the character of the team, the squad and the manager.

• Options
    Sounds like we could be missing some key players for this . 3-1 ,to boro . 
  • Options
    edited August 2023

just 'the way it goes' .. BUT, our constant, continual injury/unfit issues are bordering on the completely ridiculous.. are we still signing players that are 'bargains' cos they are always on the tom n dick list ?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    This might be the third competitive fixture of the most recent new era but so far there is little evidence to suggest to me we are any stronger than this time last season. Our 4-3-3 line up against Sheffield Weds in August last year looked much more balanced and stable. 

Someone also needs to explain to me why, when there is such an obvious lack of strike force, our most potent threat is playing in defence. 

2-0  easy ride for the Posh. 

Another new era melting before our eyes. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Our recent history with Posh have been close encounter low scores, with one goal either way. but feel we will get the draw maybe 1-1 with Alfie getting off the mark, would be well happy with that, of course 3 points would be better, but can't have everything...can you..🤔

• Options
    edited August 2023
    It is still too early to see any patterns. The midfield could still be pretty strong with Dobbo, Camara and Anderson. CBT has looked unplayable at times. Just that forward player playing with May is an issue. But it is a potentially big issue. Kirk doesn't seem to be able to contribute much but I think he is better than he is showing. As it is an away game, maybe we could play an extra midfielder there, like Payne.

And of course our ability to change things if the game doesn't go our way initially is another issue. From experience, when we go into a game like this with issues like we have, it rarely ends well for us. We may need to get the first two goals to win it IMO so I am expecting a defeat.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    I wonder if they’ll risk Edun starting on the left and playing CBT upfront with May.

I’d genuinely rather something more radical like Thomas upfront with May to help hold the ball up for him than Kirk. At least he’ll add some physicality.
    I like your first option more .  
  • Options
    Pre-Show is going to be available on YouTube again from 2:30pm tomorrow.

PRE SHOW LIVE | PETERBOROUGH UNITED V CHARLTON (12/08/23) - YouTube
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Bogey side up against this Saturday 

No League wins in the last 11 attempts home or away and no league wins at London Road in 6

Last league win in Peterborough - November 2010 - 5-1

It's an omen...that 5-1 was the last time I went to Peterborough...but I'm going tomorrow! Lump on for an away win everyone 😀
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Wasn’t it mistakes by midfielders that cost us all three goals?
    you're saying that midfielders are not there to help the defence ?
    No I’m not Lincs, far from it. 
    But you said the ‘defence’ needs to tighten up after conceding 3 in Wales. Most people would think you meant the defence were at fault, rather than the midfield.
    I’d agree we need to tighten up defensively, and that would include the midfield, which I think is probably what you’re saying. 
  • Options
    2-2 for me, think we will be competitive, but all leaving the ground again  with strong views as to where we need to strengthen etc. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Peterborough using this to get an early gauge on how good they’ll be this season. Charlton doing the same.

Guaranteed shared points and neither side comes out any wiser.
  • Options
    Forty five games left to play, it's hopefully a work in progress and we have enough in the squad to cover for injuries without having to play players out of their natural positions. We still haven't solved the 'partner for May' issue and until that's done I can't see us getting ahead in games and staying there. Love a draw but lack of fire power tells me a defeat is more likely.  
  • Options
    5-1.
  • Options
    Bringing someone along for their first charlton match so a guaranteed boring 0-0
  • Options
    People saying CBT up front. I can’t see it. What he is good at is getting the ball wide and running 1v1 at the full back. If you play him centrally it’s a lot harder to get him 1v1. Yes he’s quick but we already have May who can run in behind. If we don’t want CBT at wing back then we will have to play 3-4-3 or 4-3-3

With Fraser’s injury maybe 3-4-3 is a good option? Payne and CBT either side of May, Dobson and Camara as a 2 behind them, Edun LWB and then the usual rest of defence 
  • Options
    So everyone is assuming Fraser is injured for a long time and definitely out - has this actually been confirmed anywhere?
  • Options
    So everyone is assuming Fraser is injured for a long time and definitely out - has this actually been confirmed anywhere?
    Just so us innit !! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-dumped-out-of-efl-cup-at-newport-boss-dean-holden-reacts-and-reveals-up-to-six-new-fitness-concerns/

This is the closest to official confirmation... people have said they've heard the Fraser injury is more serious than the club is saying publicly...

The Addicks picked up three fresh injuries to further dampen boss Dean Holden’s mood – with three additional names revealed as absent for the trip to South Wales due to fitness reasons. Tyreece Campbell was seen leaving Rodney Parade in a protective boot, with Manny Egbo and Richard Chin also suffering knocks.

Scott Fraser took a heavy knock during the 1-0 win over Leyton Orient on Saturday – with Lloyd Jones and Nathan Asiimwe also missing and requiring assessment.

Holden explained: “[Fraser] wasn’t available for us tonight. Nathan Asiimwe the same, he picked something up. Lloyd Jones. We’ll take stock and see where we’re at.

“We lost [Richard] Chin early through injury, we lost Manny [Egbo] in the warm up. Tyreece [Campbell] suffered a kick to his ankle and rolled his ankle. We’ll have to see how that is over the next couple of days. We’ve gone from having just Miles [Leaburn] injured to picking up a few now.”

• Options
    RobRob
    edited August 2023
    I must admit, our capitulation to Newport surprised me. I’m a bit worried now whether we have the right manager. Hopefully I’ll be proved wrong. Tomorrow’s game. 2-0 to Posh. 

Come on Charlton, prove me wrong!
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    People saying CBT up front. I can’t see it. What he is good at is getting the ball wide and running 1v1 at the full back. If you play him centrally it’s a lot harder to get him 1v1. Yes he’s quick but we already have May who can run in behind. If we don’t want CBT at wing back then we will have to play 3-4-3 or 4-3-3

With Fraser’s injury maybe 3-4-3 is a good option? Payne and CBT either side of May, Dobson and Camara as a 2 behind them, Edun LWB and then the usual rest of defence 
     I like that. It free CBT up from his defensive issues, and gives us a really strong left side of Thomas (LCB), Edun (LWB) and CBT (left attacker). With so few goals in a midfield without Fraser, we can't afford to have CBT knackered after an hour from chasing back their opposite winger.
  • Options
    Rob said:
    I must admit, our capitulation to Newport surprised me. I’m a bit worried now whether we have the right manager. Hopefully I’ll be proven wrong. Tomorrow’s game. 2-0 to Posh. 

Me too.....the lovefest with Holden is not warranted yet. His insistence on playing 3-5-2 when its obvious we don't have the right players for it baffles me. In fact when I was home for the Aberdeen game we were woeful playing those tactics and should have been 4-0 down at halftime. Call me old fashioned but give me 4-4-2 all day long. We need a hold-up striker to play alongside Alfie. Leaburn's injury record is not great.  
  • Options
    Camara has 50 - 55 mins mins in his legs before he needs to come off. Verified by Holden this week. That’s a 1st half with these new time wasting rules.
    Edun has played 85 mins in total since last season, 70 of which was Tuesday evening. 
    Chucking them in to a full bloodied league match 4 days later will surely run a high risk of further injury? 
    Not ideal at all but these guys need to be managed for the next few weeks. 
    Players aren’t fit! There are gaps in the squad. These will be filled, maybe by September…expect it’ll take January as well. 
    The season isn’t going to fall apart on Saturday. 
    It’s also not going to get going until mid October. 
    Enjoy watching it all come together. 
    Ok this a far too sensible post for CL !! Come on own up reveal yourself 😂 
  • Options
    COYR 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Rob said:
    I must admit, our capitulation to Newport surprised me. I’m a bit worried now whether we have the right manager. Hopefully I’ll be proven wrong. Tomorrow’s game. 2-0 to Posh. 

Me too.....the lovefest with Holden is not warranted yet. His insistence on playing 3-5-2 when it’s obvious we don't have the right players for it baffles me. In fact when I was home for the Aberdeen game we were woeful playing those tactics and should have been 4-0 down at halftime. Call me old fashioned but give me 4-4-2 all day long. We need a hold-up striker to play alongside Alfie. Leaburn's injury record is not great.  
    We were playing a back 4 when Newport scored 3 past us. The formation isn’t the problem. 4-4-2 would mean we can only pick 2 central midfielders which would be shooting ourselves in the foot when it’s the position we have the most good players in 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Bringing someone along for their first charlton match so a guaranteed boring 0-0
    Did this for my little bros first game when he was 6…

0-0 vs Bolton. Needless to say he’s a Man U fan now
  • Options
    Have a bad feeling about this one. No incomings and it is looking more like last season? Really hope our defence can remain tight, not sure it will. 2-0 to Peterborough.