Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Scott Appointed Technical Director

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Having a football person run the football side of the club might just work. 

Where is Martin.
  • Options
    I will still wait until the new year before deciding. Hoping everything proves good
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Where is Martin.
    I'm still here and working with the black box passed down to me by my namesake.

I’ve already identified a number of players who I think will be good additions to the squad, Corey, Karim, Bonne and Reza plus others I don't yet want to reveal.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Very clear direction of travel. Time will tell whether it’s the right road to take, but you can’t argue about the clarity. 
    There's a lot for the new SMT to work on isn't there, I'm heartened though by their apparent recognition that everything needs improving.
    Typical of a turnaround there'll be some things that need way more attention than others and to do it well it's important to have good people. They seem to me to have the proper priorities sorted and within that are trying to create the right round holes and find good round pegs to fill them. 
    Albeit from very far away, they have my confidence so far.

Random thought - couldn't find a fans forum thread to put this on...... but Andy Scott touched on fans forums in the video, as someone who wouldn't have a clue how to organise it or know how possible it even is......... I'd love there to be an online one...... on Charlton TV with Scotty moderating, one fan at a time being brought online to ask a question of the panel (SMT, MA & coaches, Players, Academy coaches etc.). Curbs and Brownie being given the floor every now and again to add things, ask supplementaries, challenge what's been said etc.

3 points tomorrow would be so good!
  • Options
    He continues to say all the right things. And with a few wins under our belt, it certainly helps.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Where is Martin.

I’ve already identified a number of players who I think will be good additions to the squad, Corey, Karim, Bonne and Reza plus others I don't yet want to reveal.
    Was it you & the black box who discovered Scott Fraser ?  :#
  • Options
    clive said:
    Is this just for Charlton TV subscribers ?
    there's a link on the website
  • Options

Where is Martin.

Was it you & the black box who discovered Scott Fraser ?  :#
    I identified 'Mad' Frankie Fraser via the Krays. He would certainly have toughened up our defence, but was a useless footballer and didn't take criticism very well!
  • Options
    We are turning into a football club run by a Public Relations company. 

The worse the reality gets, the thicker the spin. 

We need good public relations and I'm not sure why PR is such a pejorative word.
    The club have had a terrible few years and to finally get a football man like Andy Scott into the club to try to stop this club sinking into oblivion is one of the first steps to going in the right direction.

When a comedian like Thomas Sandgaard said we would be Premier League and playing in Europe in 5 years nearly 10k fans brought  season tickets; I decided to give mine up. I could smell bullshit from TS just like I did with the odious Matthew Southall as soon as he opened his mouth, you know !

Just my opinion but i feel Andy Scott will be good for Cafc and the 'vanilla' head coach Appleton. 
  • Options
    The ‘but’ remains the budget / financial forecast. 

Can all those aspirations be achieved if we are to cut losses as they wish to and rely on selling our better and players to help mitigate the operating losses?
  • Options
    The ‘but’ remains the budget / financial forecast. 

Can all those aspirations be achieved if we are to cut losses as they wish to and rely on selling our better and players to help mitigate the operating losses?
    That's a good question, one which begs an answer and could become lost the further up the table we go.

I guess part of shrinking the losses can come from increasing the revenue side and from comments made by Steve Sutherland @ the Bromley forum there is mileage there. How much though?

If the owners are able to buy the Valley and Sparrows Lane....... for a proper amount....... would that inherently lower the real estate part of the operating costs. I'm not a finance guy at all but am wondering if that is true could they have also acquired an asset of (proper) value and achieve an increase in the value/marketability of their share in the club? I wonder if/where these numbers might stack up?

• Options
    Again I can't argue with anything said there. All sensible steps, rather than aiming unrealistically high (e.g. the Cat 1 academy)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Where is Martin.
    Hopefully he's one of the people in for the second round interviews. 
    He deserves a promotion for all his hard work previously, identifying the stars who have moves on to greater things now
  • Options
    I like what he said, and the clarity of the plan moving forward. There is also clear action happening with this lot. The restructure of building layouts isn't a cheap, quick job. Having a director of performance announced within a couple of weeks also shows plans are being executed. 

Long may this continue. I think I'm starting to get Fanny's tingle!! 

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    clive said:
    Is this just for Charlton TV subscribers ?
    there's a link on the website
    Yes but it didn't work for me, I'll try again.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    The training ground work Andy Scott talked about is interesting. Talk of knocking through walls and opening up space in the main building so it’s more open plan and support staff can work more effectively together.

He also talked about building “modules” being taken from Reading and put in at Sparrows Lane. Are these the temporary buildings that came in 12 months ago?
  • Options
    Talks well but as Technical Director in charge of the footy stuff it is noticeable our best players are Dobson, CBT, Aneke, Leaburn etc and not the many he has bought to the club.  Jan window was very poor; the summer one better but really unconvincing with many of them so far.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Jones, L. Watson, May, Camara before injury…….

Dobson didn’t look like one of our best players until about half way through his first season here. Players need time to settle and grow at a football club.
    Still plenty of the season to go and of course some may improve but the fact in the 4 success you name is Camara - injured almost constantly and gave away a goal in one of the few games he has played says a lot.  I like L Watson but Fraser is still better.  Jones, for me, the jury remains out.  May of course a success.  It's not exactly stellar.
  • Options
    I fully appreciate that no doubt this will all go wrong cos we are CAFC but the more I see and read of this bloke he impresses me
  • Options
    If only there was some way for fans to hear from him direct and ask him questions.