Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Scott Appointed Technical Director

Comments

• Options

“Dean left the role because we wanted to be successful this season"

“It’s not just on results, that’s a big part of it, but you look at the process, the environment and what is going on – interaction of staff, mood of players and you see changes"
  • Options
    Scott comes across as a bit of a straight talker.
    I wonder what he makes of Methven?
  • Options
  • Options
    "a group we feel is a strong one in this league." ....... and therein lies your biggest problem Andy - it's really not!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No nonsense from Scott and it's music to my ears. No bullshit and calls it how it is. 

• Options
    "a group we feel is a strong one in this league." ....... and therein lies your biggest problem Andy - it's really not!
    I'd say it surely is. When Camara and Fraser are back, it's absolutely a strong one in this league. Just read through our squad and look at its pedigree
  • Options
    Disagree. Good players that should be winning the vast majority of games IMO.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I'd say it surely is. When Camara and Fraser are back, it's absolutely a strong one in this league. Just read through our squad and look at its pedigree
    We can all agree or disagree, but player for player compared to our last two promoted teams from league one we are inferior with an abundant reliance on the "potential" of our young guns. 
    Let's watch what happens.
    Some would have been saying the same about players like Bielik, Cullen, Dijksteel, Aribo and Grant early on in our last promotion season. The first two joined after underwhelming loans in the previous season.

Then you had players like Solly on the way down alongside average players such as Reeves, Marshall, Lapslie etc.

We’ve got goals and creativity in this squad, we’ve got the potential to do well if Appleton can improve us defensively. We’ve still got new signings who haven’t played for us yet, and both of them defenders.

Whether it’ll be enough I don’t know, but the 18/19 squad wasn’t that impressive on paper in August/September of that season. Eventually though the players came together to form a very good team with many of them improving as the season went on.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    There are about 20 clubs that would swap their squad on paper for ours. That should tell you everything you need to know.

We’re not competing with the Charlton of 2019 or 2012 for promotion. And if we were, Scoham makes a very good point above. 

In Sep ‘18 you wouldn’t have taken Aribo over Stephens, you wouldn’t have taken Dijksteel over Solly, you wouldn’t have taken Phillips over Hamer etc.
  • Options
    “Given the circumstances of how late we’ve come in and what’s happened at the club, we’ve had to recruit at the back end of the window".

Yeah right like having one senior striker for 6/7 weeks but we had to wait until the last couple of hours of the transfer window to bring in a young unproven loan who hardly excelled at Division three level last season. Talks well but then we were told of how we were going to build a squad capable of making at least the top six etc etc but we still haven't even improved our constantly leaking defence. They had months to look at where we needed strengthening & to target possible replacements in case the takeover went through. When's the next takeover due ?

I expect nothing until we have owners that are actually interested in owning a football club rather than looking at it as an investment opportunity. If that doesn't happen the downward slide will continue & I dread to think where we'll end up.
    Middle paragraph nails it.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    There are about 20 clubs that would swap their squad on paper for ours. That should tell you everything you need to know.

We’re not competing with the Charlton of 2019 or 2012 for promotion. And if we were, Scoham makes a very good point above. 

In Sep ‘18 you wouldn’t have taken Aribo over Stephens, you wouldn’t have taken Dijksteel over Solly, you wouldn’t have taken Phillips over Hamer etc.
    I do think this is the problem - if you ask a lot of fans in this division - they don't rate our squad as much as we do.   It might be they don't know how good our youngsters are or even have a clue about the young loanees we've brought in - we certainly don't really know how they'll perform yet either.

We are underperforming, but I think there at least six-eight better and more settled squads, with better pre season and management and coaches than us.

We've got a lot to do and Scott's words are very encouraging but our transfer window was mediocre at best.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I do think this is the problem - if you ask a lot of fans in this division - they don't rate our squad as much as we do.   It might be they don't know how good our youngsters are or even have a clue about the young loanees we've brought in - we certainly don't really know how they'll perform yet either.

We are underperforming, but I think there at least six-eight better and more settled squads, with better pre season and management and coaches than us.

We've got a lot to do and Scott's words are very encouraging but our transfer window was mediocre at best.
    Surely it’s far too early to judge the transfer window? Ideally we’d have made more signings earlier, but in terms of the quality we have we don’t know how the signings will be viewed by the end of the season.

On paper it’s not that impressive, but younger players in particular can progress more than expected.

In 2011 Green was possibly the most exciting signing while many were shocked when we gave Kermorgant a 2 year deal. Bielik was inconsistent for the first half of the season in 18/19. Grant stepped up and scored goals until he left when Vetokele was expected to play ahead of him.

Some players will be perceived differently by the end of the season, hopefully for the better. That’s always going to happen in football, especially with young players and lesser known signings. For that same reason I wouldn’t read much into views of other fans, no one can really tell how players such as Louie Watson and Abankwah will do for example.

What I think we can be certain about is there’s more quality here than what we’ve shown so far. Whether that’ll be enough we’ll see, much of that is down to what Appleton can get from this squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I respect the alternative views, but I honestly think some on here are overstating the quality that actually exists in the current squad.
    Surely not, we all know that we are a good average League 1 squad, capable of promotion or relegation, just like most other teams in this league 🤣
  • Options
    For what it's worth, Scott will be very much aware that him saying "the squad's shit isnt it, we have no chance" isn't really an option. 

It's certainly not a squad that should be in 17th place and not one that should ever be in the relegation mix. The upper limit though is still unknown but if Appleton gets this lot promoted then a lot of us will owe him an apology... IF.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    For what it's worth, Scott will be very much aware that him saying "the squad's shit isnt it, we have no chance" isn't really an option. 

It's certainly not a squad that should be in 17th place and not one that should ever be in the relegation mix. The upper limit though is still unknown but if Appleton gets this lot promoted then a lot of us will owe him an apology... IF.
    For all of our sanity, i hope he does!
  • Options
    How many players with good records before joining us have looked average for us? One or two players sure maybe it's them but given the volume it has to be at least partly something to do with the club 
  • Options
    I respect the alternative views, but I honestly think some on here are overstating the quality that actually exists in the current squad.
    It’s more that we don’t know for certain as there are a lot of new signings coming who haven’t had a run yet and academy players who will hopefully improve as the season goes on.

That’s not the same as being confident that we have a promotion quality squad.

Our squads are usually stronger defending than they are attacking, and if the creativity and goals aren’t there you need players that will improve that. If Appleton can get us more organised defensively we probably won’t need an entirely new back four/five.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    thenewbie said:

If Appleton gets us promoted this season I will have his name tattooed on my todger (might have to be an app though  :# ) and that’s with a boner. I feel it will compliment the two B’s I have on either arse cheek. 

• Options
    thenewbie said:

If Appleton gets us promoted this season I will have his name tattooed on my todger (might have to be an app though  :#
    😂 mate you have said it now !!

if we somehow make the playoff final who will you be supporting?
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    thenewbie said:

If Appleton gets us promoted this season I will have his name tattooed on my todger (might have to be an app though  :#
    😂 mate you have said it now !!

if we somehow make the playoff final who will you be supporting?

Well it's not going to happen mate but if it did ............. who's going to want to check ?  :o