Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Scott Appointed Technical Director

Comments

• Options
    Deeds not words. Not been good enough so far. Still mid table league 1 side.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    J BLOCK said:
    I genuinely believe Scott and think they’ll get us promoted within the next 2 and a bit seasons.
     Well that's what he's telling the dullards that are paying his wages.
    Charlton should be a fairly decent cash cow for the likes of Scott until it dawn's on the highly uninitiated ownership group that they can't deliver what they promised.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    You can question Andy, and Jim Rodwell, direct at the niche group, Bromley Addicks, on Thursday 7 December.

7.30pm start, free entry but bring cash for the raffle. 

There seems to be a prevailing cynicism around AS.

Maybe someone can go to this event and ask him directly if he's in on a cunning plan with Methven et al to take the uninitiated Americans for a ride before they can realise that Charlton is a club that can never be successful ever again.
  • Options
    You can question Andy, and Jim Rodwell, direct at the niche group, Bromley Addicks, on Thursday 7 December.

Maybe someone can go to this event and ask him directly if he's in on a cunning plan with Methven et al to take the uninitiated Americans for a ride before they can realise that Charlton is a club that can never be successful ever again.
    That would go down well :D
  • Options

Come along and ask the question 
  • Options

Come along and ask the question 
    Bit difficult as Callum is in the States.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do wonder if he does have decent pedigree ?  Not saying one way or the other as I simply don't know.

Before us he was at Forest, my uneducated feel is that they spent massively for promotion from the Championship which they achieved but their league position was in line with their budget so it wasn't a spectacular result like a Brighton, Luton etc.

Then Forest spent even more massively to stay up. In the PL they bought so many players they didn't have enough squad space. It all seemed very haphazard and disorganised to me. Even after that they looked like getting relegated until booting him out and going again in the Jan window.

I agree I don't think it is malicious on his part but his contribution to Charlton so far has been a failure of that there can be no doubt.  Players bought in are poor,.best ones are still from before his time and their contracts are running down. I am concerned there is not even a squidge of a squad from which to build.
  • Options
    Technically we are shit, how does Andy feel now.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    I genuinely believe Scott and think they’ll get us promoted within the next 2 and a bit seasons.
    The only motivation for Scott seems to be as every day passes and he is still here he gets paid

Why do you get that impression?

He has a long history in football, as a player, manager and director. He's not a Southall. I think he genuinely wants to do a good job - not every transfer has been a hit, but it sounds like he's getting good people in place to do the jobs they're good at. The new director of performance is the most recent and obvious example of that.

I said in today's match thread that this club has been so poorly managed and mistreated for nearly a decade. If we want proper progression to becoming an established Championship club again (rather than what we got in 2019 which was a promotion and immediate relegation back) then it's going to take building us back up from near enough zero. I personally have seen evidence of those building blocks being put in place. Unfortunately results on the pitch haven't been immediate.

We've been poor for so long that I understand the lack of patience to get it right. But the owners, the directors and to an extent the manager need to be given time to put their stamp on the squad and the club. It's hard going right now but I'm hopefully that it will start to pay off soon.
    There is simply no risk for Scott/Rodwell/Methven. They have found someone(s) to put in the funding and they have jobs and salaries off the back of it. If they can make it work great, if don't they walk away, we can't.
    Don’t understand this as an argument personally - especially for Scott. Rodwell and Methven maaaybe. Regardless, isn’t that what being an employee rather employer is?

I don’t think there was any financial risk for Gallen, for Tracey Leaburn currently or any other past or present club employees that are correctly supported and praised by the fanbase.

Scott comes with a decent pedigree, a competitive spirit. I really don’t think any of this adds up to anything malicious on his part.

The jury is still out on whether he’s any good for us. But if he fails it won’t be because he doesn’t care.
    And at no point I have said there is anything malicious on Scott's part.
  • Options
    He should be feeling the pressure and that isn't a bad thing. The next window needs to be much better. If I hear what a bad window it is compared to the summer, I am reminded that the summer wasn't great!
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    The only motivation for Scott seems to be as every day passes and he is still here he gets paid

He has a long history in football, as a player, manager and director. He's not a Southall. I think he genuinely wants to do a good job - not every transfer has been a hit, but it sounds like he's getting good people in place to do the jobs they're good at. The new director of performance is the most recent and obvious example of that.

I said in today's match thread that this club has been so poorly managed and mistreated for nearly a decade. If we want proper progression to becoming an established Championship club again (rather than what we got in 2019 which was a promotion and immediate relegation back) then it's going to take building us back up from near enough zero. I personally have seen evidence of those building blocks being put in place. Unfortunately results on the pitch haven't been immediate.

We've been poor for so long that I understand the lack of patience to get it right. But the owners, the directors and to an extent the manager need to be given time to put their stamp on the squad and the club. It's hard going right now but I'm hopefully that it will start to pay off soon.
    There is simply no risk for Scott/Rodwell/Methven. They have found someone(s) to put in the funding and they have jobs and salaries off the back of it. If they can make it work great, if don't they walk away, we can't.
    Don’t understand this as an argument personally - especially for Scott. Rodwell and Methven maaaybe. Regardless, isn’t that what being an employee rather employer is?

I don’t think there was any financial risk for Gallen, for Tracey Leaburn currently or any other past or present club employees that are correctly supported and praised by the fanbase.

Scott comes with a decent pedigree, a competitive spirit. I really don’t think any of this adds up to anything malicious on his part.

The jury is still out on whether he’s any good for us. But if he fails it won’t be because he doesn’t care.

" The only motivation for Scott seems to be as every day passes and he is still here he gets paid "

Perhaps malicious is too strong, you haven't accused him of actively damaging the club.

But the way your post reads, you're of the opinion that Scott is only here for a paycheck and couldn't care less about the success of the club. Is that not the behaviour of a parasitic employee? It's not far to stretch to malice.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    We shouldn't make it too personal. He failed in the summer and it is fair to challenge him to succeed in January. Success is improving the squad and filling where there are gaps. More goals from more players, better basic defending and more fight please.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    J BLOCK said:

" The only motivation for Scott seems to be as every day passes and he is still here he gets paid "

Perhaps malicious is too strong, you haven't accused him of actively damaging the club.

But the way your post reads, you're of the opinion that Scott is only here for a paycheck and couldn't care less about the success of the club. Is that not the behaviour of a parasitic employee? It's not far to stretch to malice.
    No, its the motivation of what most people do, is just a job, if it works great, if not I move on.

And I would never use the term paycheck. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    J BLOCK said:

Normally you get employed by the owner. We appear to have had the management finding the owners to let them run it. 
    Indeed. And a board of directors scrutinising and “directing” themselves.

I'm under no illusions about the make up of the ownership group and the people running our club. It's far from perfect. But I don't see a viable alternative short of Roland Duchatelet being six feet under and his kids gifting the Valley back to the club as an apology for all his dad's crimes to South London sport.

We tried the exact opposite approach with a hands-on and engaged owner in Sandgaard.  He was enthusiastic and wanted to be successful. But as we all know, that went to shit too.

Too much owner involvement, too little owner involvement, I don't know if we'll ever find an owner that's just right.

The one thing I do know is that it could be a hell of a lot worse right now if the club hadn't been taken out of Sandgaard's hands when it was.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    J BLOCK said:

No, its the motivation of what most people do, is just a job, if it works great, if not I move on.

Alright, I apologise for getting the wrong end of the stick.

Frustration in everything Charlton right now has boiled over. And I don't really see an end in sight without blindly trusting who we've got and hoping they're going to get it right. What else can we realistically do?
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    J BLOCK said:

Alright, I apologise for getting the wrong end of the stick.

Frustration in everything Charlton right now has boiled over. And I don't really see an end in sight without blindly trusting who we've got and hoping they're going to get it right. What else can we realistically do?
    Go to games and support the team is all I can do and will continue to do so.
  • Options
    Scott has had two transfer windows now and down a terrible job with both of them. But he was at Nottingham Forest shortly before they became good so must be part of some wider master plan that we can’t yet see 
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    Scott has had two transfer windows now and down a terrible job with both of them. But he was at Nottingham Forest shortly before they became good so must be part of some wider master plan that we can’t yet see 
    When you have an unlimited budget and an excellent manager, it is a little easier....
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    J BLOCK said:

Normally you get employed by the owner. We appear to have had the management finding the owners to let them run it. 
    Indeed. And a board of directors scrutinising and “directing” themselves.

I'm under no illusions about the make up of the ownership group and the people running our club. It's far from perfect. But I don't see a viable alternative short of Roland Duchatelet being six feet under and his kids gifting the Valley back to the club as an apology for all his dad's crimes to South London sport.

We tried the exact opposite approach with a hands-on and engaged owner in Sandgaard.  He was enthusiastic and wanted to be successful. But as we all know, that went to shit too.

Too much owner involvement, too little owner involvement, I don't know if we'll ever find an owner that's just right.

The one thing I do know is that it could be a hell of a lot worse right now if the club hadn't been taken out of Sandgaard's hands when it was.

The same could be said of Southall, Duchatelet, the Spivs and even the final incarnation of Murray’s regime in 2010. They were all out of time and had to go. I think the mistake is to imagine that this iteration is different. Ultimately it is based on the same false premise as every one since Murray - we are cleverer than you and can make it work when you couldn’t. it is always magical thinking and it will always fail.

I think the others were at least naive enough to believe in it. This lot I’m not so sure. Their audience is not us but the investors. 
     Are we not in Jimenez and Cash territory here as opposed to Duchatelet/ Sandgaard?

By that I mean a single person has a grand 'masterplan' for running a football club but doesn't have the funds to get it off the ground ( Methven/Jimenez) 
    So they go in search of  serious funding and find person or persons that know very little about football but  are willing to throw some money in ,albeit with very little obligation to fund the club should things quickly go sour ( Cash/ Friedman/Brener)
    And we all know what happened when things went sour last time.

They're playing Russian Roulette with our football club again aren't they.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Smithy said:
    When you have an unlimited budget and an excellent manager, it is a little easier....
    Correct. Just realised my post didn’t sound quite as sarcastic as I intended…
  • Options
    Think the jury is out on Scott but what I will say in his defence for the last window is that for the last week he was convincing players and agents to come here when we didn’t have a manager. Obviously part of that is his fault too but this window will be the first one with these owners and a manager he actually wants