Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Minto @Bromley Addicks 31 July 2023

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Given how everyone wants to be 'GREEN' surely Charlton Life reduces the Club's carbon footprint?
    I meant Charlton TV of course!!
  • Options
    CATV has enabled me to watch games that even as a ST holder last season I was unable to attend. I was happy to pay the £10 extra to watch.
    This season, for reasons many know, I can't get to any home games at least until Christmas, I'm happy to pay to be able to watch on a reliable broadcast that is CATV and I really enjoy the Minto, Curbs and Brownie inputs as well. 
    I hope it keeps going all season.
    👍
  • Options
    I must’ve bought 90% of the aways last season at £10 a time, plus plenty of the homes (despite also having bought a ST). Like others say, the whole package is a fairly significant part of that , certainly last season when loads of the games were of zero interest alone
  • Options
    Charlton TV has more pros than cons, I feel.
    For people unable to attend games this is a fantastic service, however, a drawback is that fans who are able to attend can easily be drawn into sitting in their armchair and watching games.
    I do feel that this service probably reduces attendance figures.
    Undoubtedly it does. There is a way of limiting who can use the service and from what location. However it would be interesting to see from the credit card sales the location of viewers..  if it's only intended for overseas then limit the use to overseas credit cards or bank accounts. I can't have a UK phone number linked to an overseas credit card so that's an easy way of restricting useage.

It's an easy way around the loophole unless of course the club want revenue regardless of location. Just saying. 
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited August 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    TEL said:
    Living here it's a godsend having Charlton Tv. Can also see the point of view in it detracting UK based fans from physically going to games. 
    I can't afford to go to many games, but when I can, I do. I don't really get this POV.
    Because it wasn't intended for UK subscribers otherwise they would not keep advertising games not being available to watchers in the UK and Ireland. Get it now?

I'd happily pay more for the service, but from what you said, you obviously couldn't or wouldn't.
  • Options
    Charlton TV guaranteed until August, is that all said all night???
  • Options
    The losses if it was kept to just our genuine abroad fans would make it too big a loss maker to justify , it needs us ‘holiday’ makers , I’m guessing there’s more of us homies than Charlton migrants .
  • Options
    edited August 2023
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Given how everyone wants to be 'GREEN' surely Charlton Life reduces the Club's carbon footprint?
    I travel by tube and train to matches. 😄

But I’m flying back from Greece on Friday. 😩
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m surprised the club have never released any viewing figures ? I would think there must be a couple of thousand ? @ £10 a pop = £20,000 would the production and delivery cost more than that ? 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I’m surprised the club have never released any viewing figures ? I would think there must be a couple of thousand ? @ £10 a pop = £20,000 would the production and delivery cost more than that ? 
    If I had to guess at viewing figures for any one game, I'd have said 250. No basis for that guess whatsoever.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    I know it’s good for certain fans (particularly those abroad) but I can't help feel Charlton TV means people are less likely to go to the home/away games, which is a big shame. I would probably get rid of it, we should be doing everything to get enough people to come to the Valley. 
    And what about those who can’t get to games and are based in the UK? 

Disability, distance, family issues can all mean an inability to attend physically. Should those fans not have the opportunity to see the game online? 
    That's a fair point I havn't properly considered. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    I know it’s good for certain fans (particularly those abroad) but I can't help feel Charlton TV means people are less likely to go to the home/away games, which is a big shame. I would probably get rid of it, we should be doing everything to get enough people to come to the Valley. 
    And what about those who can’t get to games and are based in the UK? 

Disability, distance, family issues can all mean an inability to attend physically. Should those fans not have the opportunity to see the game online? 
    I am a season ticket holder, but live in Derbyshire, Midweek matches unless in the north are no go to me. Should I be disenfrachised?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Yes please. Always interesting to hear any insights from these meetings.
  • Options
    Excellent presenter Minto, you can tell he's a professional live TV broadcaster, which is much harder than it looks. Being the pundit is far easier, as the presenter is the one driving the conversation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In response to a question set on Charlton Life SM said he'd rather fight 100 chicken sized Steve Browns than 10 Steve Brown sized chickens.

Went on to say he was a year above Browny (SB) in the youth team and took SB to his first night club for SM 17th birthday and SB was still 16.

SB got very drunk and ended up back that Saturday night at SM's in Biggin Hill.

On the Monday SB was still so rough that youth team coach Colin Clarke sent Brownie home as not fit to train.

Loves working with SB on Charlton TV (CTV). He thinks SB is a brilliant co-commentator.

When SM first got involved in CTV he suggested SB.  SB was so nervous he said no.  When he did come in he was very nervous and when he's nervous he talks even more but SM thinks SB is an "absolute natural".

There is great chemistry between SM, SB and Curbs so had all three in the studio.

Asked why media work and did that media work run in the family SM said that no media running in the family but his sister is an actress and dancer.

At the end of his playing career he knew he didn't want to be a manager or coach.  It is 24/7 and if you have a squad of 25 and can only pick 11 half the team hate you.  Then you lose 0 -1 to an own goal and the media and social media are on your back.

In his last year at Rotherham he'd done some work for Radio London.

Then Lawrie Madden approached him to be part of a new 2 year fast track degree in broadcasting.

Ist day of degree 300 students and 20 ex-footballers.  Average age was 19 and he was late 30s

Of the 20 footballers only 6 finished but SM believes in sticking with things.

By end was doing work on Chelsea TV, Sky and Radio London.
    Thanks for the write up @HenryIrving

Scott was a few years above me at Charles Darwin Sec School in Biggin Hill. 

Another ex Charlton left back was in the year directly above me at the same school.

Ben Thatcher 

• Options
    Thank you @Henry Irving
    I'd love to hear more from the evening please mate. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    DOUCHER said:
    Valley11 said:
    In response to a question set on Charlton Life SM said he'd rather fight 100 chicken sized Steve Browns than 10 Steve Brown sized chickens.

Went on to say he was a year above Browny (SB) in the youth team and took SB to his first night club for SM 17th birthday and SB was still 16.

On the Monday SB was still so rough that youth team coach Colin Clarke sent Brownie home as not fit to train.

Loves working with SB on Charlton TV (CTV). He thinks SB is a brilliant co-commentator.

When SM first got involved in CTV he suggested SB.  SB was so nervous he said no.  When he did come in he was very nervous and when he's nervous he talks even more but SM thinks SB is an "absolute natural".

There is great chemistry between SM, SB and Curbs so had all three in the studio.

Asked why media work and did that media work run in the family SM said that no media running in the family but his sister is an actress and dancer.

At the end of his playing career he knew he didn't want to be a manager or coach.  It is 24/7 and if you have a squad of 25 and can only pick 11 half the team hate you.  Then you lose 0 -1 to an own goal and the media and social media are on your back.

Then Lawrie Madden approached him to be part of a new 2 year fast track degree in broadcasting.

Ist day of degree 300 students and 20 ex-footballers.  Average age was 19 and he was late 30s

Another ex Charlton left back was in the year directly above me at the same school.

Ben Thatcher 

Scott Minto and Gordon Watson both joined the youth team i played for in the summer that i left. My dad stayed and was assistant manager. The manager went on to run the youth set up at Charlton a few years later and my dad assisted sometimes and they both scouted for Charlton. Colin Clarke broke my dad's record player - by accident - at a party.        
    ‘This is the stuff. This is what they want!’ 

(Anyone remember that catchphrase?)
  • Options
    Good notes Henry.

One thing Scott said that stuck with me, was when Chelsea came calling, Charlton tried to tempt him to stay by offering him an extra 50 quid a week 👀
  • Options
    Part Three

Question:  How did it feel to re-connect with Charlton?

"Charlton were my first love..in fact I have better feelings for Charlton than my first love!"

from 12 to 14 wasn't with a pro club.  My dad who would have been a scout for Accrington Stanley to have any role in football was very good as he never pushed me" (his dad was at the meeting as he has been previous time SM has been our guest.  He was filming and taking pictures all night)

At 14 was asked to go the Spurs and Chelsea but I had a cousin playing for Charlton so went there.

Was really into Sherlock Holmes and Basil Rathbone but realised he was more likely to make it as a pro footballer than a detective.

Got into the Youth team under Colin Clarke who said "in 18 months you'll be in the first team".

SM gave huge credit to Colin Clarke as the biggest influence on his career, other than his dad.

Was part of the 1987 FA Youth Cup run to the final (only time in Charlton history) and is still close to that group of players. They have a whatsapp group (I sent SM some of Tom Morris's photos of that team the next day to share with the others).   Very proud and has very fond memories of that team and cup run.  Felt we should have won the final as we were the better side but "we weren't as we lost".

Made his full debut, after some simod cup and sub appearances, at the Den.  Went in late on Terry Hurlock in the 2nd minute.  20 mins later Rhino Stevens went in on him hip high. SM said now it would be a red card and a five game ban but then it was just a yellow.  He still had the scares weeks later.  "For me it was a badge of honour".

Back to the Valley was one of the top five games in his career.

To reconnect - Tom Rubashow ask me and timing was perfect as had left Sky.

He said at first things on CTV weren't very professional.

SM asked "what time's rehearsal?"  to which the reply was "what rehearsal?"

Said the then production company didn't really know what to do and SM had to tell them how it was done as he was use to the best.  He put his stamp on the show.  New production company is much better.

When driving to the Valley SM was listening to 80s/90s songs. It felt like being a player again.

"I see Charlton as home and my club"

He's not sure about the future of CTV.  Will run thru August in current format but not sure after that.  Appreciates that the owners are focusing on recruitment now.

The new Sky EFL deal complicates things as to if the 3.00pm blackout will continue and if streams will be possible at all after this season.

He doesn't know the profit and loss figures but hopes that sponsorship might be a solution to cover costs
    Bit harsh, I think I know her and she’s a lovely girl.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Valley11 said:

Ben Thatcher 

Scott Minto and Gordon Watson both joined the youth team i played for in the summer that i left. My dad stayed and was assistant manager. The manager went on to run the youth set up at Charlton a few years later and my dad assisted sometimes and they both scouted for Charlton. Colin Clarke broke my dad's record player - by accident - at a party.        
    ‘This is the stuff. This is what they want!’ 

(Anyone remember that catchline?)
    Happy to help - Colin Clarke was marking me in the volunteers game in 92 - he’d have had an easier game against Charlie Kirk - had a good game against millwall 😂😂😂 it’s the way you tell em 👍