Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread v3.0 - DONE! - Methven interview in the Telegraph (p55)

Comments

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    FFP and Sandgaard I'm sure. 

They have a free year to cut costs and rely on youth while blaming the previous ownership. 
    Maybe years of being run badly, has a longer term effect? If a business is run so badly for many years, and has pre existing deals in place, it is going to take a while to resolve. 

They were never going to come in and throw millions and millions at it, that has been the message from the get go!

There is money to spend, and improvements have already been made to the club..

You always had a negative outlook on it from the start.. 
    They don't need to throw millions at it, they need to spend what is required to get us out of League One before the fans turn and season ticket dip below 5k next summer
    And they haven't put money in yet then??

Players like May, Camara, Edun and Taylor were not cheap! close to a million spent on them 4.. 
    And we need 2 or 3 more if that calibre if we want to challenge at the top.
    Okay, I'll take your word that has taken us to £1m+ , but it is not what I would call "throwing millions and millions".
    There is no need to spend wrecklessly.
    I agree we do, and they know that.. Pretty sure they are working hard to bring those players in.. Pretty sure they are not just sat there twiddling their thumbs. 

Close to a million already spent, plus whatever more is spent between now and the end of the window. But as we know, it isn't about paying the fees, it is about the right players, we have made a few expensive mistakes, and some of them are still with us, and others have gone. 

Let's get the right players, rather than just bring players in for the sake of it.
    I've missed this. Who/what/where accounts for £1m of spend?

• Options
    edited August 2023
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

They have a free year to cut costs and rely on youth while blaming the previous ownership. 
    Maybe years of being run badly, has a longer term effect? If a business is run so badly for many years, and has pre existing deals in place, it is going to take a while to resolve. 

They were never going to come in and throw millions and millions at it, that has been the message from the get go!

They don't need to throw millions at it, they need to spend what is required to get us out of League One before the fans turn and season ticket dip below 5k next summer

Players like May, Camara, Edun and Taylor were not cheap! close to a million spent on them 4.. 
    Okay, I'll take your word that has taken us to £1m+ , but it is not what I would call "throwing millions and millions".
    I agree we do, and they know that.. Pretty sure they are working hard to bring those players in.. Pretty sure they are not just sat there twiddling their thumbs. 

Close to a million already spent, plus whatever more is spent between now and the end of the window. But as we know, it isn't about paying the fees, it is about the right players, we have made a few expensive mistakes, and some of them are still with us, and others have gone. 

Let's get the right players, rather than just bring players in for the sake of it.
    As was already mentioned, I'd suspect the combined cost of the four non-free transfers of May, Camara, Edun and Taylor are around the million mark.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

300k May - 150K Taylor - Camara loan fee believed to be 100K. Edun 200K plus signing on fees of these guys, the free transfers signing on fees.. Not sure how much we have spent on agency fees, but assume that prob close to 200K if not more.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    The idea you can turn round 3 years of structural damage in 3 weeks is for the birds 
    Yeh, let's just make up and opinion that nobody has expressed.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    The idea you can turn round 3 years of structural damage in 3 weeks is for the birds 
    Yeh, let's just make up and opinion that nobody has expressed.
    Haven't these guys been wrapped around the club since last December in some shape or form inside the club? For me I'll wait until around october-november until I form an opinion about the football. As for the ownership It looks like we will never really know whats happening (Cayman Island set up)
  • Options
    I’m no expert but I imagine it’s not just a case of throwing money around. I would think it’s more a case of spending the money on the right players. Nobody can say TS didn’t spend good money can they ? Unfortunately people had his pants down ala Kirk, DJ etc and not forgetting the sackable offence imo of paying money for dear old Chucks.

steps as I see it are.

identify the right player
    convince him and his agent to join us
    agree a fee 
    fight off other interested clubs

not an easy task and certainly not just getting the cheque book out unless your signing players with no other options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Sorry for being picky you've made a very good point which I agree with. 10 years of structural damage, not 3!!
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

The players already brought and intention for a top six finish make it’s more puzzling that they haven’t continued recruitment. The squad is woefully thin, we have a diminutive striker with no service being played up front on his own and we have lost 3 of 4 opening games. The prospect of a few free (injury prone?) signings and the odd loan does not equate with a promotion push.

Our new owners have gone awful quiet…..
    do you genuinely believe they aren't trying to get the 'right' players in?
    I don’t know - I really hope so however the language has changed.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

300k May - 150K Taylor - Camara loan fee believed to be 100K. Edun 200K plus signing on fees of these guys, the free transfers signing on fees.. Not sure how much we have spent on agency fees, but assume that prob close to 200K if not more.
    I'm assuming these fees are just guesses as I understand Edun was a free & any payment to Blackburn would only occur if we sold him on ? 
    All guesswork.
  • Options
    If you build it they will come
  • Options
    When's the transfer window close? 1 September is it?
    The next 2 weeks could be crucial
    What's Cawley saying?
    We need at least an experienced right back, relying on a teenager (however talented) is suicidal.  Agreeing to Egbo's departure at this time suggested a replacement was incoming.  If not then his sale must have been very very lucrative or Holden (strangely) thinks he's no good, cos he certainly ain't a dickhead.
    We need better CH's than Ness, Jones and the teenagers, to support Hector and Thomas
    Myles Leaburn's prodigious talent may be no small barrier to recruiting an able striker.  ML's not far off returning, so how much game time will the backup striker think he'll get when we have ML & May?  Is it credible to imagine we'd be talking to better than either one?
    Recruitment thus far ain't been earthshattering but it's not bad and there's time.  Not least we've still 4 loan slots that can be filled, they're usually toward the end of the window.
    A good few on here need to tighten up their big boy pants.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Sorry for being picky you've made a very good point which I agree with. 10 years of structural damage, not 3!!
    Unless you are crediting TS with the improved players that have been brought in this summer so far, they have been around a lot longer than 3 weeks. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I'm disappointed that we look to be heading into another game without further recruitment. That can't be good for morale amongst the playing squad, it certainly isn't for the fan base. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I'm disappointed that we look to be heading into another game without further recruitment. That can't be good for morale amongst the playing squad, it certainly isn't for the fan base. 
    Well its good for those 2nd choice players getting game time now I suppose  :D
  • Options
    Do you think the new owners realise that we have potentially lost 4 points due to our lack of firepower which may be crucial at the end of the season or are they too busy looking at balance sheets
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    Do you think the new owners realise that we have potentially lost 4 points due to our lack of firepower which may be crucial at the end of the season or are they too busy looking at balance sheets
    Do the management team installed at the Club you mean? Don't think the owners have claimed to be experts on football, nor do I expect them to be. The team they employ must be football savvy though.
  • Options
    Do we not think that Cheerful Charlie sold the dream based on a budget. The investors have invested based on that budget. Cheerful now can’t go back and say - listen you know the budget we told you would be fine -
    it’s not……
    Do we not think that Cheerful Charlie sold the dream based on a budget. The investors have invested based on that budget. Cheerful now can’t go back and say - listen you know the budget we told you would be fine -
    it’s not……
    Why should he care ? He'll get his payoff, his mates get a paycheck each month. He gets the "prestige" of being the owners mouthpiece. He's happy. 

• Options
    it’s not……
    it’s not……
    Why should he care ? He'll get his payoff, his mates get a paycheck each month. He gets the "prestige" of being the owners mouthpiece. He's happy. 

I am sure in his dreams he saw himself as a part owner of a prem club…….getting there takes a bit more nous 
  • Options
    it’s not……
     My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    I can't be alone in not sharing this Methven fixation. It seems as though he's stepped into Sandgaard's shoes as "the man they love to hate!" I'm not entirely sure how he has damaged the Club so far, but I'm sure others can enlighten me. I'll continue to pay him little regard anyway and focus on what activity I see in terms of transfers and running the Club.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    On Sunderland 606, there is a thread titled 'Charlie Methven buys Charlton'.

A very interesting read.
  • Options

From Methwen's statement below I would say this:-  

If you've got the love, if you've got the passion and if you've got the money then flipping well spend it, cause there ain't no joy in watching a club like Charlton languishing in League One.  

“The situation here is very different because the rest of my ownership group is very wealthy – at least the larger shareholders are – and really the increase in capital value from moving from League One to the Championship wouldn’t really be of any financial interest to them.

“Really this project is more about passion.

“In all of the shareholders’ case the amount they are paying, with probably the exception of me, is relatively modest by their own standards.

“This is at the risk-end of their portfolio.

“They have all got other successful businesses and investments that do very well – then a few things they do because they love it.