Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic FC vs Morecambe FC | Saturday 22nd April 2023 KO 3:00PM

Comments

• Options
    Im putting this shit football down to post world cup in Qatar. Look how it’s affected Spurs and Manure 🧐🤓
  • Options
    Not sure why someone would want to print that off and hand it around ?
  • Options
    I’ve spent the last two hours working on the permutations of results in the race for 10th place.
    Who comes 10th and 11th in front of us? 🤗
  • Options
    I'll say this and get my coat. Stockton's qualities are ones that we are missing.
    Or Lyle Taylor-I'm already out the door.
  • Options
    I can't find the post but I said last summer we need to buy Stockton (and Alfie May). Any owner with any ambition would have done. 
  • Options
    I can't find the post but I said last summer we need to buy Stockton (and Alfie May). Any owner with any ambition would have done. 
    Ditto.
  • Options
    Got this month's subscription to the live stream paid, but it ends may 1st. I've had other stuff I could do rather than watch some of the garbage served up this season. That was just utter rubbish, against a team without a league win away to their name this season.
  • Options
    Ditto.
    Then both of you would have been paying anything from 250,000 - 500,000 (the numbers being thrown around at the time) for a 29 year old striker with likely no resale value, who has a worse career goals to game ratio then Bonne and has managed 7 goals all season.

I’m not taking anything away from his first goal, and I think comments saying it was gifted to him are unfair because he still had to be aware and have the movement and technique to get into the position to unleash that worldy. 

I’m not sure what it is with this forum and Stockton but someone mentioned him ‘bullying our defence’ earlier where as apart from his goal involvements I can’t remember him winning a header or holding the ball up and bringing any Morecambe players into the game. Considering Morecambe had 31% of the possession, made 64% passes - its not like he had the opportunity to bully anyone - but happy to hear examples to the contrary.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My mate came to the match (was an Eintracht Frankfurt fan in his youth) and said "It's good to see League One football: it makes you appreciate how good the Premier League is"!!! 🤬, I was fuming ... not really.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Ditto.
    Then both of you would have been paying anything from 250,000 - 500,000 (the numbers being thrown around at the time) for a 29 year old striker with likely no resale value, who has a worse career goals to game ratio then Bonne and has managed 7 goals all season.

I’m not taking anything away from his first goal, and I think comments saying it was gifted to him are unfair because he still had to be aware and have the movement and technique to get into the position to unleash that worldy. 

I’m not sure what it is with this forum and Stockton but someone mentioned him ‘bullying our defence’ earlier where as apart from his goal involvements I can’t remember him winning a header or holding the ball up and bringing any Morecambe players into the game. Considering Morecambe had 31% of the possession, made 64% passes - its not like he had the opportunity to bully anyone - but happy to hear examples to the contrary.
    Yeah, apart from his 2 goals (one from 30 yards) and his long range shot parried for the third he contributed little  :D

Christ, the chances of Bonne doing that is somewhere between nil and nil.
    I'd definitely have paid £250K for him & still would.
    There's no striker in this division who can score worldies like this and they were no fluke because he scored a fair few better than that last season.
    Where did he bully our defence in any of those goal contributions then? I, and the reports on the game must have imagined all the poor defending that lead to those goals. 

It might shock you to hear Jayden Stockley, another striker who has a better career goals to game ratio than Stockton, has also scored 30 yard screamers as well. Not his position but Sean Clare has scored a ‘worldy’ this season - does it make him, or Stockley good, consistent, players who you want in a promotion chasing team? 

No. Instead you want to spend a substantial amount of money at this level on a guy who in his entire career manages a goal every 3.8 games.

If the club had an owner with any ambition we would have spent 250,00 - 500,000 for Colby Bishop. A 26 year old striker, who you are likely to get some money back on, who has a much better career goals to game ratio than Stockton, and has managed double figure goals in his last 5 seasons (Stockton has managed it twice in his career).

But you never here anyone on hear bemoaning us not signing him. 
  • Options
    He didn't bully our defence.
    I'd have tried for Stockton, May, Bishop and Charles (off the top of my head) rather than no one, which we did.
  • Options
    Jephcott seems to have found his scoring boots again.
  • Options
    Not sure Henry was ever ready to be exposed playing for the first team at The Valley. Very few players cope with the pressure, and they tend to be the players who won't be with us for long.
    Henry, and other young players with potential, should get minutes in League Two or below, especially if we're serious about getting out of this league.
  • Options
    Ditto.

Yeah, apart from his 2 goals (one from 30 yards) and his long range shot parried for the third he contributed little  :D

There's no striker in this division who can score worldies like this and they were no fluke because he scored a fair few better than that last season.
    Where did he bully our defence in any of those goal contributions then? I, and the reports on the game must have imagined all the poor defending that lead to those goals. 

It might shock you to hear Jayden Stockley, another striker who has a better career goals to game ratio than Stockton, has also scored 30 yard screamers as well. Not his position but Sean Clare has scored a ‘worldy’ this season - does it make him, or Stockley good, consistent, players who you want in a promotion chasing team? 

No. Instead you want to spend a substantial amount of money at this level on a guy who in his entire career manages a goal every 3.8 games.

If the club had an owner with any ambition we would have spent 250,00 - 500,000 for Colby Bishop. A 26 year old striker, who you are likely to get some money back on, who has a much better career goals to game ratio than Stockton, and has managed double figure goals in his last 5 seasons (Stockton has managed it twice in his career).

Good points, but I wonder if Stockton would have a better goal scoring ratio if he had played for a better side than Morecambe.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Ditto.

Good points, but I wonder if Stockton would have a better goal scoring ratio if he had played for a better side than Morecambe.
    Probably, but that subjectivity rules us out!
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I have had more injuries than Chuks Aneke (is that possible?) this season and it was my first game back at the valley since early November.

Watched quite a few games on Charlton TV in this middling season.

Bizarrely, this game was a carbon copy of the home match against Morecambe a year ago when we also lost 3-2, Stockton scored a brace, defensive mistakes for the away goals and we had really decent play at times, scored a couple of goals from good team play, the sun shone and we went home with zero points. 

Strange game to sum up as at 1-1 all the play was with Charlton attacking in the 2nd half before the free kick which wasn't given on Morgan; we switched off by not playing to the whistle and they score against the run of play.
     Haven't watched the goals back to see who was at fault for the 2nd and 3rd goals but a power strike by Stockton for the first. 

I thought Morgan and Fraser( When coming on) was going to dictate play with Dobson (he was sleepy 1st half !) in the 2nd half but with Leaburn struggling and looking sluggish we couldn't get at them enough despite a passage of getting the ball out wide and crosses coming into the box.
    Young Miles has made a good start to his career but he looked really raw yesterday.

We are an established mid table League 1 side now and its hard to see how we are going to get out of that rut.
  • Options
    Ditto.
    Me too
  • Options
    No doubt Henry can pick a pass but my concern with him is that he gave the ball up too easy when pressured. It may be down to lack of athleticism as he does not seem quick enough to lose the player closing him down. I would give him another game to show what he can do. He is only 19 and I would probably resign him for a year with an option for another year and loan him out to a L2 team. I don’t think he has many other options.  Not good enough for L1 right now. Even Leaburn looked poor yesterday. The only player that excites me will be leaving at the end of the season and will go on to have a stellar career. JRS my POTY thank you. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2023
    This leaflet was being circulated around the ground pre match. Any truth in it? If so, maybe some of the players saw it, hence the lack of effort.

BTW for all the excusers/apologists/sympathisers on here, I have it on good authority A&Eke booked a holiday the day after his latest injury. 
    It’s just a print out from this site:

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-league-one/charlton-athletic/

No idea if it’s true, not sure how the site would get this information. I would assume it’s more likely an estimate of salaries based on an algorithm. Most likely someone has stumbled across it, hasn’t realised that you shouldn’t trust everything you read on the internet and printed it out to be reported as fact. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Ditto.

It’s a valid point, and one we/I often think about when I look at JRS and imagine how he might have done at a club like Ipswich or Plymouth.

However I don’t think football is that binary and over an 11 year season spanning non league to
    The Scottish Premiership to ultimately league one I think you find your level and you can’t really use that excuse.

If you look at Lyle Taylor who had a very similar career trajectory as Stockton and joined us at a similar age he at least had been scoring double figures more consistently and was getting a goal in every 3 games compared to 4 for Stockton. 

As I said at the time that does not mean Stockton is a poor player, or might not score goals for us if he had/did join. But I didn’t think then, and still don’t think now, that he was worth a fee - and considering no club went for him in the end - I was not the only one. 

I find it bemusing that people would have based on all the evidence, and used that as a stick to beat the ownership and recruitment team with when they made much much poorer decisions - both on and off the pitch.  
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    This leaflet was being circulated around the ground pre match. Any truth in it? If so, maybe some of the players saw it, hence the lack of effort.

BTW for all the excusers/apologists/sympathisers on here, I have it on good authority A&Eke booked a holiday the day after his latest injury. 
    It’s just a print out from this site:

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-league-one/charlton-athletic/

No idea if it’s true, not sure how the site would get this information. I would assume it’s more likely an estimate of salaries based on an algorithm. Most likely someone has stumbled across it, hasn’t realised that you shouldn’t trust everything you read on the internet and printed it out to be reported as fact. 
    I doubt it's that far off the mark. What a waste of money the majority on that list have been 
  • Options
    Ditto.

Using the word "bullying"  about Stockton is not appropriate, he wasn't really physical in any way with our defence. What he he has is "guile"/"savvy'/nouse' ie a cleverness and quickness of thought which wrong foots the defence.Plus ability and bit of an ego which helps makes things happen.
  • Options
    Ditto.

Using the word "bullying"  about Stockton is not appropriate, he wasn't really physical in any way with our defence. What he he has is "guile"/"savvy'/nouse' ie a cleverness and quickness of thought which wrong foots the defence.Plus ability and bit of an ego which helps makes things happen.
    You have probably forgotten the away game last season.
  • Options
    Circumstances dictated that I couldn't make it on Saturday, so ended up watching from home.

Like many others have said here: just a woeful, abject performance from several players that have already clocked out for the season. Lacking in character, desire and effort - this is not what you expect from Charlton teams in years gone by, but extracting a performance out of some of these players is like getting blood from a stone. With some of them, I give them a little more credit (Dobson and JRS, for example, who have played A LOT of minutes this year), but the "senior" players in defence were utterly shocking. Just not even doing the basics. Unforgivable. If Holden isn't already thinking about building an entirely new defensive unit, he will now.

Small word for Stockton - I was very much hoping that we might be in for him earlier this season. As a lone striker in this league (and in a weak Morecambe side), he's has scored goals - last year was a freak performance, but I think he's the kind of player we needed and still need. Being a bogey player for us is ironic, although I think he has enough quality to help move us from L1. If we do see Leaburn go in the summer, I would not be upset if Stockton was looked at as some part to replace him.

I do hope we get some positive news about the takeover before the last home game of the season. Otherwise, it'll be a dreary summer checking for morsels of information about whether we will have any pennies to spend.

Lots of work to get this club out of this mid-table L1 mire. All starts with a massive clear out.
  • Options
    Stockton is out of contract in the summer of course so could be a free hit for us, well a cheapish hit anyway. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    No doubt Henry can pick a pass but my concern with him is that he gave the ball up too easy when pressured. It may be down to lack of athleticism as he does not seem quick enough to lose the player closing him down. I would give him another game to show what he can do. He is only 19 and I would probably resign him for a year with an option for another year and loan him out to a L2 team. I don’t think he has many other options.  Not good enough for L1 right now. 
    I don't get the logic of "I would give him another game to show what he can do".
    He's "not good enough for L1 right now".
  • Options
    I really felt for Henry, because his mistake directly lead to the goal and it clearly shattered his confidence at that point. I don't think we should be too quick to write him off yet, but I don't think he's ready for full games. I admire Holden for taking the chance and giving him the start - sadly, mistakes like the ones he made are how players learn and develop.
  • Options
    Stockton is out of contract in the summer of course so could be a free hit for us, well a cheapish hit anyway. 
    Can we swap him for about 10 of our players?