Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic FC vs Morecambe FC | Saturday 22nd April 2023 KO 3:00PM

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    I bet there will still be a few people advocating for Inniss, Morgan, Thomas etc for their contracts to be renewed as squad players.  It’s what we do 

Morgan was one of our best players today, Thomas was better than Hector today.
    That’s not a valid argument to warrant keeping either 
    But it is a reason to defend players who weren't the reason why we lost today
  • Options
    You learn in meaningless games who the players are that will give you a 7 or 8 out of 10 performance week in, week out. Sadly, I don’t think we have any of them.
  • Options
    I feel like if it was another team you might say that it's the typical case of a team with nothing to play for going against one fighting for their lives, but this is the kind of performance Charlton have been throwing up all season. It's all a bit worrying because you wonder where change is coming from. Holden can't fix the team, Hector can't fix the defence, feels like we could sign a new player in every position next season and we'd end up with the same results. We really do need a full change, remove absolutely everyone behind the scenes and start over or it feels like this will just continue forever. I think it does answer the 'why are we playing Bonne instead of giving Kanu a run out' question though, because we gave Henry a run out to see what he was like and it feels like most people on here don't want to see him make it through the night let alone get a new contract. Good on Holden for protecting him from that, Bonne can eat the anger.
  • Options
    n the first half the team unbalanced, because on the left we had sessegnon, Henry and Payne. So nearly every thing went to our right and Morecambe new it and cancelled out Raki for most of the Half.  
    added to this was te appalling passing the two most culpable were Dobson and Thomas, nut nearly every one else put in a few bad passes.
    Also we got out muscled.
    The subs made a big difference to our ability to attack as we had a threat down both wings, the subs did not improve the defending.
     Of todays team I will not be sorry to see Payne, and Thomas go, Henry is not ready for the first team even Clare is on the not concerned if he stays or goes as long as the replacement is a bit better.
  • Options
    That was another dog shit performance. I wasn’t there and didn’t watch it on a stream. But I have seen us recently and it can’t really be anything else.
  • Options
    I had lots of things in mind to say about this game but decided to sum it up in three words.

That was shite.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Don't think Holden is the man to take us forward either. The squad is shit, but he's served up some woeful tactics and proper awful performances 
  • Options
    Kanu, Fraser and Campbell all looked good when they came on, perhaps it was a mistake to leave them out. 

Our midfield was completely wrong today, slow, one paced and passing to the oppo more than our players.

what we would have done this season without JRS
    Agreed, I would like to see Clare in the middle. He carries it forward and adds a bit of pace
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2023
    The ref was shocking the only thing he did not do was celebrate with the Morecombe players when they scored .. 
    sum up the game … team selection poor , Henry and Dobson play the same style you can’t play them both in a 3 .. and leave Fraser out . Seen a lot of crap spoke about Fraser on social media well that first half is what happens without him .. 
    0-1 Henry mistake but what a shot 
    1-1 Payne disallowed by the ref and gave us a free kick horrendous call from the official 
    1-1 Raki
    1-2 clear  foul on Morgan leading up to the goal but a poor poor mistake by AMB time for Woolacot I think 
    1-3 again clear hand ball as the bloke controls it with his arm before the goal 
    Campbell brought down in the area nothing given 
    Kanu has header of the line 

Dobson and Leaburn very poor today , felt sorry for Henry just did not know his role .. 
  • Options
    19 times we have conceded the opening goal this season and we are yet to turn any of them into wins. We are get ourselves back into the game and just then allow the opposition to comfortably take the initiative afterwards.
    That's not news to some of us. Been happening for a good few seasons now. 
  • Options
    Two words 

🐕 💩 
  • Options
    Personally I had a great afternoon…….,,,,
    as I was miles away from The Valley 

We took two of our grandsons to Diggerland and had a great time in the sunshine 
  • Options
    Our season has been over for a while now. Todays performance was typical end of season dead rubber played by players, the majority of them know they have no future at Charlton. 
    A truly awful season,I’m glad to the back of but I can’t see next season being any better. 
  • Options
    Alcohol has been my go to winner this season. 
  • Options
    Only enjoyable bit was having a chat with @KBslittlesis and @Fanny Fanackapan in the bar before the game. We should have stayed there. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    19 times we have conceded the opening goal this season and we are yet to turn any of them into wins. We are get ourselves back into the game and just then allow the opposition to comfortably take the initiative afterwards.

• Options

Ah, brotherly love 😉.
  • Options
    Henry very poor, Charlton very poor! 
    Did I hear he's refusing to sign a contract? Let him walk, never been impressed.
  • Options
    Reality is that if the takeover doesn't happen, our budget may be less or similar to this season, hence our squad could very well be poorer, not better, when next season begins. Losing Rak Saki will be the biggest loss. Also losing Hector (he won't sign) will be tough on the back line.

The midfield with Morgan is bereft of talent. 

As Curbs said post match, Chuks and CBT are big losses and if unsure on their fitness, new faces are needed. Sadly he also said about the loaned out players coming back in the summer for Holden to look at. The fact that they couldn't get into this very poor team says it all already. 

Takeover or worse to come is the reality. 
    I agree, we have to be realistic. Chances are the budget will be similar or less whoever is in charge.
    Is that a problem? It needn't be. Look at Lincoln just above us in the table.They have conceded 19 less goals this season. And their budget? Pretty sure it's £3-4 million for wages, where ours is £6+million.
    It's down to 1) recruitment 2) coaching. We need to up our game in these areas and we could still save  money overall.
    I'd love a billionaire to take us over but just think its unlikely.We can do better with resources (money)
    we have.
  • Options
    Truly awful. Some of the wayward passing made that first half feel like one of the worst Charlton home performances in years. 

The day wasn’t helped with the East Stand overrun with annoying kids and football for a freebie types who it felt like were taking in their very first game and willing to try and disrupt the “enjoyment” for anyone around them. 

The whole thing was just shite.
  • Options
    Reality is that if the takeover doesn't happen, our budget may be less or similar to this season, hence our squad could very well be poorer, not better, when next season begins. Losing Rak Saki will be the biggest loss. Also losing Hector (he won't sign) will be tough on the back line.

The midfield with Morgan is bereft of talent. 

As Curbs said post match, Chuks and CBT are big losses and if unsure on their fitness, new faces are needed. Sadly he also said about the loaned out players coming back in the summer for Holden to look at. The fact that they couldn't get into this very poor team says it all already. 

Takeover or worse to come is the reality. 
    I agree, we have to be realistic. Chances are the budget will be similar or less whoever is in charge.
    Is that a problem? It needn't be. Look at Lincoln just above us in the table.They have conceded 19 less goals this season. And their budget? Pretty sure it's £3-4 million for wages, where ours is £6+million.
    It's down to 1) recruitment 2) coaching. We need to up our game in these areas and we could still save  money overall.
    I'd love a billionaire to take us over but just think its unlikely.We can do better with resources (money)
    we have.
    Yes but we won't with Sandgaard in charge.
  • Options
    It's amazing 13,347 still turn up  :)
    I can understand why the club do it and I am generally in favour of boosting the crowd but does anyone actually pay to get in anymore or is it just us season ticket holders. There were so many people today who had no idea where they were sitting or going. They also turn up late and then wander around looking for their seats. We had a bloke behind us earlier in the season who had actually arrived in the wrong stand !