Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Player of the Year Vote 2023

Comments

• https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/160/Show/England-Charlton

While the base data is "scientific", I've no idea they go on to generate stats ratings, but the top 5 players for the season according to these "independent" stats are
    JRS - 7.01
    Fraser - 6.98
    Dobson - 6.90
    Ness - 6.90
    Morgan - 6.83

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1649006/MatchReport/England-League-One-2022-2023-Charlton-Burton

These are the stats for the Burton game, which make an interesting contrast with the ones here, and back up my feeling that certain players get undermarked here.
    JRS - 8.9
    Bonne - 8.7
    Thomas - 7.7
    Morgan - 7.4
    Campbell - 7.14
  • I bet Poyet and Petterson never picked up mid-season reviews like these:

• He seems to be getting steadily worse and I'm sure he'd love to be somewhere else.  [Hoof It Up To Benty, Decmber 2022]
    • He should have been an ace card in a promotion challenging side, instead he's like a butterfly caught in a spider's web [Six A Bag Of Nuts, December 2022]
    • As with many players he's deteriorated since being with us and can't see him want to stick around for scrappy winter relegation battles as not his game at all. [Rodney Charlton Trotter, December 2022]
    • I can't get bothered about this possible departure tbh. [Telly Tubby, December 2022]
    • Last few games he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. [Sam 3110, January 2023]
    • I won’t miss him, he is nowhere near the finished article plus he has missed some sitters this season including that diabolical penalty against Brighton [East Stand Mike, January 2023]
    • He has gone backwards with us so a no brainer to recall him. [Muttley CAFC, January 2023]
    • We could’ve played Mansfield ahead of him and got exactly the same return imo.  He may go on to have a career, but I’ve seen so many of his type of player over the years, rarely do they go on to do anything  [Cabbles, January 2023]
    • Bog off Barnsley! [Mendonca In ASDAs, January 2023]

Is Rak Sakyi currently out most exciting player? No doubt about it. Is Rak Sakyi currently out most influential player? Oh yes! Has he performed consistently enough to be player of the season? Only if you breath through your gills and have a penchant for Tetra Min.

• Stig said:
    I bet Poyet and Petterson never picked up mid-season reviews like these:

• He seems to be getting steadily worse and I'm sure he'd love to be somewhere else.  [Hoof It Up To Benty, Decmber 2022]
    • He should have been an ace card in a promotion challenging side, instead he's like a butterfly caught in a spider's web [Six A Bag Of Nuts, December 2022]
    • As with many players he's deteriorated since being with us and can't see him want to stick around for scrappy winter relegation battles as not his game at all. [Rodney Charlton Trotter, December 2022]
    • I can't get bothered about this possible departure tbh. [Telly Tubby, December 2022]
    • Last few games he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. [Sam 3110, January 2023]
    • I won’t miss him, he is nowhere near the finished article plus he has missed some sitters this season including that diabolical penalty against Brighton [East Stand Mike, January 2023]
    • He has gone backwards with us so a no brainer to recall him. [Muttley CAFC, January 2023]
    • We could’ve played Mansfield ahead of him and got exactly the same return imo.  He may go on to have a career, but I’ve seen so many of his type of player over the years, rarely do they go on to do anything  [Cabbles, January 2023]

Is Rak Sakyi currently out most exciting player? No doubt about it. Is Rak Sakyi currently out most influential player? Oh yes! Has he performed consistently enough to be player of the season? Only if you breath through your gills and have a penchant for Tetra Min.

And to think Muttley was petty enough to resort to saying he ‘didn’t rate my football knowledge’ because I didn’t want us to go for Cole Stockton this year.

At the time I was miffed that people wanted JRS recalled, because it seemed silly to let go of a player who was clearly our best attacking threat. Yes he was going through a lean period at the time, but the whole team, Dobbo included, were naff as well. 

His talent was on show before that period, and it has been since. The fact that he appeared to be the whipping boy then is probably testament to how influential a player he is for us. 
  • Dobsons form  has dipped since the birth of his child imo 
    and it’s much easier to be defensively good than attacking and influencing a game to win it , hence the attacking players who win games get paid and cost bigger money .
    I understand where you’re coming from but to me Dobson isn’t anywhere near the level of Rak Sakyi who in his first full season of mens football has schooled so many defenders it’s different level football .
    He is a class or two above Dobson 
    and it’s much easier to be defensively good than attacking and influencing a game to win it , hence the attacking players who win games get paid and cost bigger money .
    I understand where you’re coming from but to me Dobson isn’t anywhere near the level of Rak Sakyi who in his first full season of mens football has schooled so many defenders it’s different level football .
    We’ve conceded the 10th most amount of goals in the league, and have an even worse clean sheets record. We’ve not really been defensively good at all though out this year.
    We’ve conceded the 10th most amount of goals in the league, and have an even worse clean sheets record. We’ve not really been defensively good at all though out this year.
    I’m talking as a player but we’re shit and our attacking players have carried the defensive lot 
  • Stig said:

Is Rak Sakyi currently out most exciting player? No doubt about it. Is Rak Sakyi currently out most influential player? Oh yes! Has he performed consistently enough to be player of the season? Only if you breathe through your gills and have a penchant for Tetra Min.

Some of us disagreed with those views at the time. The idea that we wouldn’t miss him or should give up on him was laughable even back then. He was never the problem. He had a good but not great first half of the season, accepting that included quiet and poor performances.

Was that all down to him? Some of those games he was moved up front. Others we rarely got the ball to him.

Dobson has the same job to do regardless of how we’re playing. The team struggling helps him shine even more.

The same isn’t true for an attacker. A winger can’t control and dictate a game. They need the players behind them to gain and keep possession and give them the ball often enough in dangerous areas.

So what is considered consistent for a wide attacker? No one scores or assists in every game, he has 13 goals and 8 assists, a great return from a player mainly playing out wide in a mid table side.

It’s not a surprise most our POTYs are defensive players, due to their role and style they’re usually the hard working, reliable types. They’re your 7/10 every game players, obvious candidates for POTY.

JRS is the type who can get 4/5s and 8/9s rather than steady 7s every game. That’s what most wingers tend to do, even the best at this level (which he’s one of). Even more so while playing in mediocre side who can’t consistently get the ball to him.

He shouldn’t be judged like a full back or defensive midfielder. His overall contribution and end product is right up there with the best of this squad and he’s been just as important as Dobson.
  • We are all swayed by our most recent memories. 
    Leaburn was getting a lot of mentions a week ago. 
    He misses one game, JRS scores twice and Leaburn doesn't get a mention this week. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2023
    We are all swayed by our most recent memories. 
    He misses one game, JRS scores twice and Leaburn doesn't get a mention this week. 
    It’s nothing to do with recency bias. You don’t get 13 goals and 7 assists across a season playing for a mid table side with just some recent good performances.

This was Rich Cawleys tweet after JRS first game for Charlton.

It was true then, and it is true now. Can you say that any of our other players are way, way to good for league one?
  • JRS has been the one player worth turning up to see the whole of the season, he has the X factor ,  admittedly he hasn’t done it all season but 13 goals and 8 assists in one of our worst ever teams is unbelievable .

at one point earlier on in the season , under Garner , Dobson looked like he may have learnt to influence a game going forward but some of his attacking passes and shooting in the second half of the season have been abysmal imo 
    no one can match him for commitment and tackling but he is a very limited footballer .

Leaburn hasn’t played enough due to his injuries and mainly coming off the bench early on in the season.

JRS was always one of the main candidates, his recent form is only adding to that rather than being the reason he’s getting votes.
    It’s nothing to do with recency bias. You don’t get 13 goals and 7 assists across a season playing for a mid table side with just some recent good performances.

It was true then, and it is true now. Can you say that any of our other players are way, way to good for league one?
    Miles Leaburn?
  • edited April 2023
    Gone for AMB, but not an obvious contender this year, Dobson, Fraser, JRS, Leaburn all have had good years, but felt Ashley just tipped it for me, it's a position when you are on your own and get punished for any mistake more than an outfield player, and he has been consistent on the whole since he has come in...now goal of the season, that should be interesting...🤔

Miles Leaburn?
    Not a bad shout. Though at the moment due to less evidence I’d say Miles was ‘way’ and not quiet ‘way, way’ yet 😉. 
  • Stig said:
    George Dobson is ever present this season. So far this season he has made 141 successful tackles. If you are not impressed by that, then you really ought to be. It's twelve more than any other player in the country! Take Dobson out of the team and we we would be bottom three.

Don't score goals its impossible to ever win a game. Rak-Sakyi is central to scoring and creating.

Take that out, and we would be bottom 2..... ;)
  • JRS for me.
  • edited April 2023
    Curbs looked to Dobbo when asked the question re POTY on Saturday in the lounge, Brownie said close call between J R-S, Ash, Dobbo and Miles in the mix, so pretty much on the same page as most of us. 
  • Stig said:

I actually stick by my comment made back in December!
    There is no doubt Jes has been resurgent under Holden, as indeed have the rest of the team.
    His flashes of brilliance and his overall contribution make him a worthy candidate for player of the year. My son has gone with him.
    I've gone with Dobbo on the basis of his consistency.
    But I wouldn't argue with either choice.

• Sponsored links:

• Curbs looked to Dobbo when asked the question re POTY on Saturday in the lounge, Brownie said close call between J R-S, Ash, Dobbo and Miles in the mix, so pretty much on the same page as most of us. 
    Hedging his bets a bit there!
  • The big difference-maker for me between them is that Dobson is hugely important to a bad team. He's rescued us all season because we've been terrible, and we look poor without him because we're lacking in a lot of key areas. I'm not convinced that a very good team even needs a player like Dobson; if you have more control you don't need a destroyer to set tackling records. I don't think anyone in the top 6 would be desperate to put Dobson into their first team, maybe Plymouth. For me that's reflective of the fact that Dobson is a requirement of a poor team, whereas JRS provides the quality that any team in the league would want to have. There's no team that wouldn't be improved by what JRS has brought this season, he's been so effective in the final third. Still means it's valid to vote for Dobbo for us as we've needed him, but I think if we're able to improve it'll be with more players like JRS not Dobson
  • The big difference-maker for me between them is that Dobson is hugely important to a bad team. He's rescued us all season because we've been terrible, and we look poor without him because we're lacking in a lot of key areas. I'm not convinced that a very good team even needs a player like Dobson; if you have more control you don't need a destroyer to set tackling records. I don't think anyone in the top 6 would be desperate to put Dobson into their first team, maybe Plymouth. For me that's reflective of the fact that Dobson is a requirement of a poor team, whereas JRS provides the quality that any team in the league would want to have. There's no team that wouldn't be improved by what JRS has brought this season, he's been so effective in the final third. Still means it's valid to vote for Dobbo for us as we've needed him, but I think if we're able to improve it'll be with more players like JRS not Dobson
    Yes, but little relevance to who is this season's POTY. 
    I totally accept JRS has had a great season and he's closed the gap in the last 2 months.
    I'm happy if JRS wins, I just think Dobson was best over the season. 
  • Dobson is a clear winner for anyone that cares to remember further than the last few weeks.
    It's all very well to quote goals and assists, but his tackles and covering in front of the defence must have saved us so many points this season.
    I also believe he had made the most tackles in the whole of the football league a a few weeks back.
    Plus he's played more games than AMB & Leaburn so has obviously contributed much more for that reason.
    Fully agree. 
  • JRS's goals have kept us up. Simple. Add to that his work rate, skill, desire and tekkers, he wins it for me.
    Yes, but little relevance to who is this season's POTY. 
    I totally accept JRS has had a great season and he's closed the gap in the last 2 months.
    I'm happy if JRS wins, I just think Dobson was best over the season. 
    We'll improve with more players like both.
  • ro_addick said:
    Dobson is a clear winner for anyone that cares to remember further than the last few weeks.
    It's all very well to quote goals and assists, but his tackles and covering in front of the defence must have saved us so many points this season.
    I also believe he had made the most tackles in the whole of the football league a a few weeks back.
    Plus he's played more games than AMB & Leaburn so has obviously contributed much more for that reason.
    Fully agree. 
    It's interesting that a couple of weeks ago AMB & Leaburn were being suggested perhaps more strongly than JRS.
    Hence my post at the time. 

AMB gives a goal away, Leaburn misses the game injured, JRS scores twice & now it's all about JRS as a challenge to Dobson. 
  • JRS is sneaking into contention because he's played particularly well in recent weeks, but there was a period where he didn't contribute much this season. Tons of talent, exciting to watch, good siging overall, but too inconsistent for an award based on an entire season's performance. Strong contender for young player of the year though.

Only Dobson has been nearly consistent enough to be considered POTY, imho. Leaburn would be next best but has not been present enough due to injury.

When we were really shit around November/December, Dobbo was the only one who was still consistently turning in respectable performances. 

And if you want an "off your seat" moment - well has there been anything better than Dobbo's equalizer vs Ipswich?

And he's earnt himself a promotion to team captain (and been doing a good job of it). Just because we've come to expect it of him, doesn't mean we shouldn't recognise his contribution.

1) Dobbo
    2) Leaburn
    3) JRS

Honourable mentions and decent seasons (for different reasons) for CBT, Ness, Hector, and AMB (and Campbell has been pretty good since CBT got injured).

Everyone else, m'eh.
  • ro_addick said:
    Dobson is a clear winner for anyone that cares to remember further than the last few weeks.
    Fully agree. 
    It's interesting that a couple of weeks ago AMB & Leaburn were being suggested perhaps more strongly than JRS.
    Hence my post at the time. 

AMB gives a goal away, Leaburn misses the game injured, JRS scores twice & now it's all about JRS as a challenge to Dobson. 
    100% with that. Dobson's has been making a big difference, giving it his absolute all from the off, matchday in and out. Full credit to him for season long drive, positivity, consistency and leadership from the front.