Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Player of the Year Vote 2023

Please cast your vote for the 2023 Player of the Year. The process is very simple. Just click on the link below. The ballot form contains the names of every player who has made 10 or more league appearances this season The winner will be announced and the cup presented at the Player of the Year Dinner on 30th April. Tickets for the Dinner can be purchased through the club ticket office.
                                                              https://www.surveyhero.com/c/n4zhtefc

Comments

• Options
    Done … Dobbo
  • Options
    Ditto Dobbo done.
  • Options
    Yep, Leaburn for me too. Utterly different team with and without him
  • Options
    On a serious note... I went for Ashley Maynard-Brewer

He's saved us a good few points since coming into the team with his saves.

The fact he shouldnt even be with us this season is an added factor
  • Options
    On a serious note... I went for Ashley Maynard-Brewer

He's saved us a good few points since coming into the team with his saves.

The fact he shouldnt even be with us this season is an added factor
    Yep, AMB for me too.
  • Options
    AMB for me. Just look at how many MOTM performances he has had in the games he has played - add heroics in Brighton Cup pen shoot out and some class saves at Old Trafford (score could have been a lot worse) and think he is deserving of the award, marginally ahead of Dobbo, Leaburn and JR-S. I really hope we keep hold of him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I went for Leaburn, although he's not played loads of games we are such a better team when he's in it. Dobbo a contender but i don't think he's had a great second half to the season. 
  • Options
    This small and early sample of votes indicates a likely close run 4-way race for POTY this year, which is actually how it should be. Last season Dobbo way out in front, the rest pretty much non-runners. 
  • Options
    Dobson for me, consistently 8/10 every week.

Leaburn, AMB and JRS not far behind but have had more ups and downs.
  • Options
    Dobbo is not known as a goalscorer, but that Ipswich fourth provided one of the moments of the season.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Leuth said:
    You AMB voters are insane. He's been good but the way goalkeepers are overpraised is demented. They have such little bearing on how a team plays overall compared to everyone else. And AMB, while he's done well, hasn't been really any better than the guy he rather fortunately replaced. We haven't NEEDED AMB except for when Wollacott was injured. Leaburn and Dobson though? JRS? We've fuckin needed them all right 
    Dont recall Leaburn | Dobson etc. being there to save a certain Forest Green goal a few weeks ago

He and Wollacott have been doing that all season, because when your Goalkeeper having to make outstanding saves -

They're having to do so because those in front of him havent done their jobs, and its happened far too often
  • Options
    Sage said:
    May surprise a few, but went for Fraser.

He brings us something no one else has in their locker and actually controls the midfield far more than he is given credit for. 7 goals from midfield when he was asked a lot of the time to play deeper, it’s a good return.
    Well he leads the Statbank... I thought about voting for him myself
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    You AMB voters are insane. He's been good but the way goalkeepers are overpraised is demented. They have such little bearing on how a team plays overall compared to everyone else. And AMB, while he's done well, hasn't been really any better than the guy he rather fortunately replaced. We haven't NEEDED AMB except for when Wollacott was injured. Leaburn and Dobson though? JRS? We've fuckin needed them all right 
    Dont recall Leaburn | Dobson etc. being there to save a certain Forest Green goal a few weeks ago

He and Wollacott have been doing that all season, because when your Goalkeeper having to make outstanding saves -

They're having to do so because those in front of him havent done their jobs, and its happened far too often
    He hasn't been doing it all season. He's done it for about half a season. And how many games has he been the overwhelming factor in us winning? One? Two? One good save is nice and all, but compare making one good save to 90 minutes of battling, 90 minutes of putting in a shift - passing, tackling, running, affecting play - and it becomes pretty clear to me that unless a keeper is making multiple great saves a game and completely dominating his box (which AMB is quite good at, albeit not the finished article yet) then others have far more impact. If he wasn't a youth product he wouldn't be part of this conversation. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    May surprise a few, but went for Fraser.

He brings us something no one else has in their locker and actually controls the midfield far more than he is given credit for. 7 goals from midfield when he was asked a lot of the time to play deeper, it’s a good return.
    He's had a very good season, yes, aside from the 5 or 6 games where Holden played him through an injury and people started to say all sorts of daft things about how he wasn't good enough, then it turned out he'd been injured 
  • Options
    Done - Dobbo 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

He hasn't been doing it all season. He's done it for about half a season. And how many games has he been the overwhelming factor in us winning? One? Two? One good save is nice and all, but compare making one good save to 90 minutes of battling, 90 minutes of putting in a shift - passing, tackling, running, affecting play - and it becomes pretty clear to me that unless a keeper is making multiple great saves a game and completely dominating his box (which AMB is quite good at, albeit not the finished article yet) then others have far more impact. If he wasn't a youth product he wouldn't be part of this conversation. 
    No he hasnt... Its why I said "He and Wollacott" i.e. Both of them have been called into saving our arses all season long

Dont give a shit if he's a Youth product or not - I'm still pissed that Poyet got POTY over Lawrie Wilson

Craig MacGillivray showed us the alternative to how we played when neither AMB / Wollacott were on the pitch, 11-goals conceded in 5-games

Not saying AMB is fautless either, no one has been this season
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I went for JRS. 

For me he has been our stand out player, and I am in no doubt that that will be playing at a much higher level than anyone else in our team next year.

Behind him I would have a more difficult choice between Dobson, AMB, CBT, Leaburn and agree with Sage's Fraser shout.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

Only bit of sense I can make of these views, is that AMB has been playing for half a season. Otherwise, your keeper is as important as any other player in the team. Dean Kiely won our POTY two or three times in the early noughties from what I can remember. Those interested in voting for AMB have every right, good to see his contributions being recognised, even if he doesn’t come out on top.

FWIW, I have been home and away a lot recently and I think Dobbo’s standards have been a bit more inconsistent than up to around 8-10 games ago. He was very good again this last weekend, but as I say, more recently and in general, has not been the 8 out of 10 he can be and has been in the past. Would still be first name on team sheet and all that…
  • Options
    Done, Dobbo 
  • Options
    Dobson ✔️ 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

Only bit of sense I can make of these views, is that AMB has been playing for half a season. Otherwise, your keeper is as important as any other player in the team. Dean Kiely won our POTY two or three times in the early noughties from what I can remember. Those interested in voting for AMB have every right, good to see his contributions being recognised, even if he doesn’t come out on top.

FWIW, I have been home and away a lot recently and I think Dobbo’s standards have been a bit more inconsistent than up to around 8-10 games ago. He was very good again this last weekend, but as I say, more recently and in general, has not been the 8 out of 10 he can be and has been in the past. Would still be first name on team sheet and all that…
    Kiely survived constant bombardment from PL players and usually made multiple good saves a game. He was a freak. AMB nowhere near that level of affecting games yet 
  • Options
    Fraser