Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Player of the Year Vote 2023

Comments

• Two horse race
    Dobbo and Penney
    Penney fell at the first as Dobbo romped home.
  • Rak-Sakyi is probably the right choice, but I’m too petty to vote for a palace player. Went for Leaburn just ahead of Dobson/Fraser 
  • NabySarr said:
    Rak-Sakyi is probably the right choice, but I’m too petty to vote for a palace player. Went for Leaburn just ahead of Dobson/Fraser 
    this

Went for Leaburn, we are a totally different side with him in it
  • Leaburn got my vote. Dobbo would be my second choice though. Just couldn't bring myself to vote for a Palace player - even if he had 20 goals for us, petty as I am
  • Rak Sakyi
  • Hard to choose. 
    Dobbo, Leaburn and JRS all have good claims. 
    Others have come in and looked classy, but probably haven’t played enough games; Ness, Hector & Egbo. 
    Others haven’t been consistent enough; Fraser, CBT, Inniss, Clare. 
    I think I’ll probably give it to Miles, even though he had quite a few quiet games early on. He’s given us so much pleasure watching his development. 
    I’d go for Ness as young player of the season, despite it being curtailed by injury. 
    JRS is probably our best player on his day, but is from that other club. Egbo is potentially up there too, and hopefully he can prove that next season. 
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    You AMB voters are insane. He's been good but the way goalkeepers are overpraised is demented. They have such little bearing on how a team plays overall compared to everyone else. And AMB, while he's done well, hasn't been really any better than the guy he rather fortunately replaced. We haven't NEEDED AMB except for when Wollacott was injured. Leaburn and Dobson though? JRS? We've fuckin needed them all right 
    Dont recall Leaburn | Dobson etc. being there to save a certain Forest Green goal a few weeks ago

He and Wollacott have been doing that all season, because when your Goalkeeper having to make outstanding saves -

They're having to do so because those in front of him havent done their jobs, and its happened far too often
    He hasn't been doing it all season. He's done it for about half a season. And how many games has he been the overwhelming factor in us winning? One? Two? One good save is nice and all, but compare making one good save to 90 minutes of battling, 90 minutes of putting in a shift - passing, tackling, running, affecting play - and it becomes pretty clear to me that unless a keeper is making multiple great saves a game and completely dominating his box (which AMB is quite good at, albeit not the finished article yet) then others have far more impact. If he wasn't a youth product he wouldn't be part of this conversation. 
    Only bit of sense I can make of these views, is that AMB has been playing for half a season. Otherwise, your keeper is as important as any other player in the team. Dean Kiely won our POTY two or three times in the early noughties from what I can remember. Those interested in voting for AMB have every right, good to see his contributions being recognised, even if he doesn’t come out on top.

FWIW, I have been home and away a lot recently and I think Dobbo’s standards have been a bit more inconsistent than up to around 8-10 games ago. He was very good again this last weekend, but as I say, more recently and in general, has not been the 8 out of 10 he can be and has been in the past. Would still be first name on team sheet and all that…
    I think there may be a number of reasons Dobson's recent performances have slipped from outstanding to very good.

Firstly, he was one yellow card away from a suspension for a couple of games, so had to be a bit more reserved.
    The same as this Saturday when he was carded and had to reign it in to prevent getting a red.

Secondly, he's possibly a touch fatigued having carried the whole team for the best part of a season and two thirds.
    That may be true, but he gets an awful lot of bookings - some of which are completely unnecessary. If he's treading water because he's already been booked, well then stopped getting booked!  
  • Sponsored links:

• Leaburn got my vote. Dobbo would be my second choice though. Just couldn't bring myself to vote for a Palace player - even if he had 20 goals for us, petty as I am
    This.
  • Quite nice to be in a situation where there's three possible winners mind. Been a bit of a depression procession the last few years
  • I went for JRS. 

For me he has been our stand out player, and I am in no doubt that that will be playing at a much higher level than anyone else in our team next year.

Behind him I would have a more difficult choice between Dobson, AMB, CBT, and agree with Sage's Fraser shout.

JRS whilst having a very good season, has had far too many games when he barely featured.
    I've never had to think whether Dobson was playing/still playing/on the pitch.
    JRS is on a whole different level to Dobson and that will be reflected in what level they will both be playing at next season.

Dobson is my favourite player, but I just don’t think he has been our best player this season. 

• Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    You AMB voters are insane. He's been good but the way goalkeepers are overpraised is demented. They have such little bearing on how a team plays overall compared to everyone else. And AMB, while he's done well, hasn't been really any better than the guy he rather fortunately replaced. We haven't NEEDED AMB except for when Wollacott was injured. Leaburn and Dobson though? JRS? We've fuckin needed them all right 
    Dont recall Leaburn | Dobson etc. being there to save a certain Forest Green goal a few weeks ago

He and Wollacott have been doing that all season, because when your Goalkeeper having to make outstanding saves -

They're having to do so because those in front of him havent done their jobs, and its happened far too often
    He hasn't been doing it all season. He's done it for about half a season. And how many games has he been the overwhelming factor in us winning? One? Two? One good save is nice and all, but compare making one good save to 90 minutes of battling, 90 minutes of putting in a shift - passing, tackling, running, affecting play - and it becomes pretty clear to me that unless a keeper is making multiple great saves a game and completely dominating his box (which AMB is quite good at, albeit not the finished article yet) then others have far more impact. If he wasn't a youth product he wouldn't be part of this conversation. 
    Only bit of sense I can make of these views, is that AMB has been playing for half a season. Otherwise, your keeper is as important as any other player in the team. Dean Kiely won our POTY two or three times in the early noughties from what I can remember. Those interested in voting for AMB have every right, good to see his contributions being recognised, even if he doesn’t come out on top.

FWIW, I have been home and away a lot recently and I think Dobbo’s standards have been a bit more inconsistent than up to around 8-10 games ago. He was very good again this last weekend, but as I say, more recently and in general, has not been the 8 out of 10 he can be and has been in the past. Would still be first name on team sheet and all that…
    I think there may be a number of reasons Dobson's recent performances have slipped from outstanding to very good.

Firstly, he was one yellow card away from a suspension for a couple of games, so had to be a bit more reserved.
    The same as this Saturday when he was carded and had to reign it in to prevent getting a red.

Secondly, he's possibly a touch fatigued having carried the whole team for the best part of a season and two thirds.
    Also his partner gave birth a few weeks ago so probably not getting loads of sleep!
  • Went for JRS, thought twice cos he's Palace but he has brought a difference to our team. Miles just not played enough games and Dobbo has not been as good as last year.
  • Bonne for me, should be a 👠 in.
  • Leaburn gets my personal vote but I would not consider it robbery if either JRS or Dobson won it.
  • Screw giving it to a Palace loan player.
    Don’t want Leaburn to get it, to shine an even greater light on him and hasten a summer exit.
    Dobson captain and 100%er in a shite season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Went for Dobbo , but it was close with Miles and JRS. Think Miles will landslide Young Player. 
  • JRS for me has been our best player.  Fraser, Dobbo and Leaburn bright sparks also, maybe even CBT.  One thing for sure is that it’s very telling that not one defender will get anywhere near it, we really must strengthen there first and foremost next season.  
  • Clare … 
  • Given how shocking the first half of the season was, surprised there's not more votes here for Ashley M-B... think he's been pivotal in us actually developing a defence. 
  • Dobbo. Most consistent.