Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST—MATCH THREAD: Morecambe V Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 14th March 2023: KO 19.45pm

12346»

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Maybe it's a symptom of the fact results don't really matter at this point. If they did, and we were on the edge of the play-offs, I've got a funny feeling that Innis gifting goals wouldn't be as acceptable. 

Ho hum, onwards and... Onwards!
    Yeah, but if we were 1-0 up and chasing a play off spot, he might have elected to blast the ball into touch. All ifs and buts but ceratainly a possibility as he's been a lot more inclined to do that lately.
    Yeah I get that but it's not just this isolated incident, he's been gifting goals and chances all season. Now it can be met with a shrug because it doesn't really matter. 
    He’s had his moments, sure, but I think you’re exaggerating a tad. All CB’s mess up from time, and he’s probably not that much worse than the average?
    It's a fair question and one I've asked myself. Does he mess up more than than the average. 

If we compare him to other L1 CBs we've had in recent years, did they gift goals like he does? And we're not talking about losing your man, we're talking solid gaffs. 

Jason Pearce - I can only remember one backwards header that didn't reach the keeper. So one in a season?

Fameweo - A bad pass at AFC Wimbledon. One in a season?

Oshilaja - Not a very good defender but can't remember any solid gaffs, might be wrong. 

And now if we compare that to Innis, he's directly been the cause of four goals in three months. Not even a season. Two against Bristol Rovers, one against Bolton and another yesterday. 

Again, I might be wrong, but I don't think the average L1 CB is doing that.
    This is EXTREMELY rose-tinted memory, lol
    Can you correct it, then? I think the fact I left question marks there, I was pretty clear that it might be incomplete. 

If either of them had a period where they directly gaffed 3/4 goals in as many months, we'll say it can be considered somewhat normal. 

Or another way of asking how normal it is, is to ask how often are we gifted the same kind of goals/opportunities by the opposition? Again, I don't have the best memory here, but I'm struggling. 
    You must have forgotten the entire 20/21 season then because we gifted goals like it was our job. Granted some of that was Gunter and Pratley at CB but Pearce and Oshilaja were absolute disasterpieces that season. It's not practical go through every game again but off the top of my head I remember Deji and Pearce smashing into each other keystone cops style against Peterborough to gift an equaliser (and then Shinnie gifting them a winner), Deji messing up a header out so it went back and across himself against Gillingham and then jogging calmly across the box while their player lined up a shot and scored, and one against Pompey where they dragged the shot just wide but it came about because Deji fell over for absolutely no reason, fell over again and then scooted to block the shot and failed. He gave away a stupid penalty against Blackpool, gifted them their second by just not closing their player down at all. He was dropped by Bowyer for Famewo when he was back and then not fancied by Jackson or Adkins either. Pearce's entire defending style towards the end became seeing how many rugby tackles he could get away with in the box, which unfortunately wasn't as many as we would have liked.

All this listing the big errors you remember stuff also has such a narrow view of football. Big mistakes are more memorable, but how a defender plays across a game also massively influences the amount of control you have and as a result the number of chances you give up. Famewo definitely made more mistakes than just the Wimbledon one, but he also smashed the ball out of play every time the ball was at his feet and gave possession back to the opposition, which was particularly frustrating when we were trying to play out from the back. Oshilaja was an absolute liability and his positioning, passing and general inability to put his shoes on right put us under huge amounts of pressure, far more than Inniss ever has. Deji was also the absolute king of not closing down shots and allowing the opposition to shoot. Part of the reason we used to concede so many goals from outside the box was defenders like Deji just standing there waiting for the shot and forgetting that it would sail past them. Deji Oshilaja was one of our worst ever centre backs, and I feel genuinely so happy for you that your recency bias means you can't remember just how bad some of our defending was across the previous few seasons, because I've thought about it for this post and I'm pretty sure it's given me an aneurysm.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Maybe it's a symptom of the fact results don't really matter at this point. If they did, and we were on the edge of the play-offs, I've got a funny feeling that Innis gifting goals wouldn't be as acceptable. 

Yeah, but if we were 1-0 up and chasing a play off spot, he might have elected to blast the ball into touch. All ifs and buts but ceratainly a possibility as he's been a lot more inclined to do that lately.
    Yeah I get that but it's not just this isolated incident, he's been gifting goals and chances all season. Now it can be met with a shrug because it doesn't really matter. 
    He’s had his moments, sure, but I think you’re exaggerating a tad. All CB’s mess up from time, and he’s probably not that much worse than the average?
    It's a fair question and one I've asked myself. Does he mess up more than than the average. 

If we compare him to other L1 CBs we've had in recent years, did they gift goals like he does? And we're not talking about losing your man, we're talking solid gaffs. 

Jason Pearce - I can only remember one backwards header that didn't reach the keeper. So one in a season?

Oshilaja - Not a very good defender but can't remember any solid gaffs, might be wrong. 

And now if we compare that to Innis, he's directly been the cause of four goals in three months. Not even a season. Two against Bristol Rovers, one against Bolton and another yesterday. 

Can you correct it, then? I think the fact I left question marks there, I was pretty clear that it might be incomplete. 

If either of them had a period where they directly gaffed 3/4 goals in as many months, we'll say it can be considered somewhat normal. 

Or another way of asking how normal it is, is to ask how often are we gifted the same kind of goals/opportunities by the opposition? Again, I don't have the best memory here, but I'm struggling. 
    You must have forgotten the entire 20/21 season then because we gifted goals like it was our job. Granted some of that was Gunter and Pratley at CB but Pearce and Oshilaja were absolute disasterpieces that season. It's not practical go through every game again but off the top of my head I remember Deji and Pearce smashing into each other keystone cops style against Peterborough to gift an equaliser (and then Shinnie gifting them a winner), Deji messing up a header out so it went back and across himself against Gillingham and then jogging calmly across the box while their player lined up a shot and scored, and one against Pompey where they dragged the shot just wide but it came about because Deji fell over for absolutely no reason, fell over again and then scooted to block the shot and failed. He gave away a stupid penalty against Blackpool, gifted them their second by just not closing their player down at all. He was dropped by Bowyer for Famewo when he was back and then not fancied by Jackson or Adkins either. Pearce's entire defending style towards the end became seeing how many rugby tackles he could get away with in the box, which unfortunately wasn't as many as we would have liked.

All this listing the big errors you remember stuff also has such a narrow view of football. Big mistakes are more memorable, but how a defender plays across a game also massively influences the amount of control you have and as a result the number of chances you give up. Famewo definitely made more mistakes than just the Wimbledon one, but he also smashed the ball out of play every time the ball was at his feet and gave possession back to the opposition, which was particularly frustrating when we were trying to play out from the back. Oshilaja was an absolute liability and his positioning, passing and general inability to put his shoes on right put us under huge amounts of pressure, far more than Inniss ever has. Deji was also the absolute king of not closing down shots and allowing the opposition to shoot. Part of the reason we used to concede so many goals from outside the box was defenders like Deji just standing there waiting for the shot and forgetting that it would sail past them. Deji Oshilaja was one of our worst ever centre backs, and I feel genuinely so happy for you that your recency bias means you can't remember just how bad some of our defending was across the previous few seasons, because I've thought about it for this post and I'm pretty sure it's given me an aneurysm.
    Yeah, it is a narrow view because I'm making a narrow point: that mistakes are normal, but to do it as often as Innis does, is not.

We all seem to agree that he does it a lot. What we disagree on is more nuanced – some think he makes up for it in other areas, some think his teammates should back him up a bit better, and well... one person thinks I should support someone else for stating the same fact we all agree on. 

As Steve Brown said of Ryan on the night, "You can hold your hand up, but you gave away two against Bristol Rovers as well, so just stop making mistakes. Stop making mistakes.

I wouldn't disagree with you about the 2020 defending, and Chris Gunter's pass at Burton is probably the pick of the last 10 years. Although I can't see that any one player has been as prolific as Ryan has this season.

No more from me on this, happy to agree to disagree. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Great post, but point of order: Deji was deposed on the bolded part by HRH Sam Lavelle
  • Options
    I'll always take a defender who's imperious 99% of the time and makes the odd disastrous error over someone who's not going to do anything daft but also not dominate. The Flawed Colossus is my muse, after all
  • Options
    Obviously the Gomezes, Konsas, Nesses, Bauers etc of this world are preferable yet still, but they don't come along very often!
  • Options
    Everyone, well almost, is looking for perfection on the football pitch, well, here's a thing...it don't exist, as with life in general mistakes happen, now maybe in hindsight, a hoof into row Z  by Innis would have been appropriate, but what if the backheel actually reached it's target of Dobson, and that led to a goal, well Innis would be a hero for a great piece of skill...fine lines but that's all it was...🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Everyone, well almost, is looking for perfection on the football pitch, well, here's a thing...it don't exist, as with life in general mistakes happen, now maybe in hindsight, a hoof into row Z  by Innis would have been appropriate, but what if the backheel actually reached it's target of Dobson, and that led to a goal, well Innis would be a hero for a great piece of skill...fine lines but that's all it was...🤷‍♂️
    That reminds me of Kevin Pietersen once attempting to reach his century with a 6 and getting caught. If that had sailed over the boundary, everyone would have been salivating about his innings, how he had crushed the opposition with his dominance and what a fitting way it was to reach his 100. Instead because he was caught, he's reckless, stupid, only interested in his personal glory etc

Or the F1 driver going for an unexpected overtaking move. That comes off, he's a ballsy legend. He instead crashes, and now he's a reckless idiot!
  • Options
    Thought Crowley looked very good for them, available on a free in the summer..
    Yeh, but it was against us  ;)
    I'm always wary of picking up somebody on that basis, we've been stung a few times in the past  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Yeah, it is a narrow view because I'm making a narrow point: that mistakes are normal, but to do it as often as Innis does, is not.

We all seem to agree that he does it a lot. What we disagree on is more nuanced – some think he makes up for it in other areas, some think his teammates should back him up a bit better, and well... one person thinks I should support someone else for stating the same fact we all agree on. 

As Steve Brown said of Ryan on the night, "You can hold your hand up, but you gave away two against Bristol Rovers as well, so just stop making mistakes. Stop making mistakes.

I wouldn't disagree with you about the 2020 defending, and Chris Gunter's pass at Burton is probably the pick of the last 10 years. Although I can't see that any one player has been as prolific as Ryan has this season.

Don’t agree that Inniss does it a lot. Not a lot a lot. If he did it a lot they wouldn’t pick him. I think I said this on a different thread, but all CBs make mistakes, look at Maguire for example. 
    I think Inniss had a spell when he made a few, culminating in the ‘tackle’ at Wimbledon, but he’s definitely improved since then. Saturday was silly showboating at 3 up, and there’s no way he’d have that at one nil. Barring that aberration
    I think he’s been very good for the last  month or two. Myself, I’d say the midfield is the real issue. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I’ll just add that Dobbo’s mistakes seem to get overlooked completely. We’ve given away two goals recently where he’s lost his man by ball watching, allowing a simple tap in in one case, header in the other (v. Accrington). 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I’ll just add that Dobbo’s mistakes seem to get overlooked completely. We’ve given away two goals recently where he’s lost his man by ball watching, allowing a simple tap in in one case, header in the other (v. Accrington). 
    Think you lump the whole back four with that one!!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Think you lump the whole back four with that one!!
    To an extent, but if you watch the replays the defenders were just about in the right places, but George lost his man completely. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Don’t agree that Inniss does it a lot. Not a lot a lot. If he did it a lot they wouldn’t pick him. I think I said this on a different thread, but all CBs make mistakes, look at Maguire for example. 
    I think Inniss had a spell when he made a few, culminating in the ‘tackle’ at Wimbledon, but he’s definitely improved since then. Saturday was silly showboating at 3 up, and there’s no way he’d have that at one nil. Barring that aberration
    I think he’s been very good for the last  month or two. Myself, I’d say the midfield is the real issue. 
    Agree with the last bit. I've reached the conclusion Morgan is the best '3rd midfielder' we have, alongside Dobson and Fraser. And that concerns me, because I don't think Morgan is good enough.