Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST—MATCH THREAD: Morecambe V Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 14th March 2023: KO 19.45pm

Comments

• Options
    A very enjoyable night and brilliant result and performance. But so cold, had to scrape ice of the car after the game
  • Options
    Enjoyable game….glad we are playing Leaburn, Campbell and other academy grads…would like to see us play Kanu and Leaburn up front together
  • Options
    Great result. 

Pleased for the travelling fans. 
  • Options
    Very enjoyable,4 goals away from home doesn’t happen too often,so one to savour. 
    30 points to play for, I think will should make the playoffs with 85 points,I’ll be disappointed if that’s not enough. 
    We currently have 45 points. With the 30 points on offer the max we can get is 75 points. Might usually get you 5th or 6th but not this season. Think teams will need to get close to 80 points to get into the play offs. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    cafctom said:
    This is why each season, even after a stretch of bad form, I struggle to worry about relegation.

Every year there are 4-5 teams at the bottom who are absolutely hopeless.
    Wigan survived a whole season at this level under a transfer embargo, with a cobbled together group of U18s/U21s. We’d have to really sh*t the bed to get relegated out of this league.
  • Options
    Props to the Morecambe keeper for being the angriest man who ever lived. Every goal received like a death threat against his firstborn. Thought he was going to tear the net off at one point 
    He looked like a fat angry old school Sunday morning keeper,  who’d run half the length of the pitch to nut someone and would offer everyone and anyone out .
  • Options
    Important win a loss would have seen us 7 points from relegation possibly 6 if some other pub team got points from their game in hand .

If an away win at Morecambe doesn’t get your juices flowing then …….you’re completely normal

i fell asleep pre match woke up all disorientated and the clock said 0-0 and 65 mins I was pleasantly surprised but confused cos didn’t feel I’d slept that long , my eyesight is pony cos within a minute my heart sank as they readjusted and it was 6mins or so gone .
    StIll I cheered over enthusiastically for the first 3 goals before the scoreline from the scum readjusted and slapped me back in to the realisation of how shit and far behind our local rivals we are .

FairPlay to the travelling few , you deserved that , looked freezing up there 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Could have been 5 if JRS had played Kanu in.
    What like saturday?  ;)

Of course he should have played Kanu in.
    Would've done wonders for his confidence.
    Check out how many goals Daniel Kanu has scored over the last two seasons. He will always get in goal scoring positions.
    When he starts scoring for the first team we will struggle to hold on to him. 

The winky emoji tells you I was being lighthearted.
    Yeh, he should have played him in.
    Having said that I am not going to get prematurely excited about a lad who has scored bucketloads against other kids.
    We have had plenty of those have we not? Charlie MacDonald springs to mind
    Not wishing to make you feel old Sabon, but do you realise Charlie left us over 20 years ago?  He has turned out for another 20 clubs, played 587 games and scored 230 goals.  Just saying  :)
  • Options
    Always thought Inniss had a mistake or two in him, but glad to be corrected by Holden, they are in fact, 'Beckenbauer moments'.
  • Options
    Always thought Inniss had a mistake or two in him, but glad to be corrected by Holden, they are in fact, 'Beckenbauer moments'.
    I have no idea what Inniss was attempting before their second goal - stupid piece of play.

Campbell is making good progress.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    cafctom said:
    This is why each season, even after a stretch of bad form, I struggle to worry about relegation.

Every year there are 4-5 teams at the bottom who are absolutely hopeless.
    If you're struggling to worry about it, I'm pleased to hear it, but how bad must we be before that comes more easily to you I wonder?

More often than not this season, those 4-5 hopeless teams have tended to be ones we've struggled to beat. Before kick off, I wasn't even confident we'd have enough to get better than a draw, that's how far we've fallen in my eyes. 

I'm resting slightly easier this morning, but I think the automatic promotion spots might prove a stretch too far 😉 However, if we have ownership stability next season, I'd back Holden to get us winning  more games than we loose at least. The Club needs a top to bottom overhaul before challenging for promotion. 
  • Options
    Of course Morecambe may have played a part in that but 2nd balls - we won more than our fair share and we won a lot of the physical battles. I think this is important in League One. We don't do that often enough.
  • Options
    Did their keeper push Leaburn’s shot across his body into the net with his right hand?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It flicks his hand and goes past him , maybe it just hits him and goes to safety if he didn't get his hand to it
  • Options
    m_2 said:
    Ryan Innis: captain in second half. 99 minutes of excellent centre half dominance. One mistake all night . . .
    Come on you Innis haters, credit where it is due!
    But that’s the issue for me. Does not matter as a defender if you’re excellent for 99 minutes, due to where you are on the pitch your mistakes are going to be punished more so than others.

Lets not forget, although not the sole cause by any stretch of the imagination, that he has been a major cog of a defensive unit that has the joint 9th worst goals against record and has only kept 7 clean sheets all season.

Cabbles although more dour than some does make a good point about fans almost gaslighting themselves about the quality of our players. We’re going to finish mid table in league one for the second year in a row, and a lovely resounding win against Morecambe shouldn't cover for our deficiencies.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    m_2 said:
    Ryan Innis: captain in second half. 99 minutes of excellent centre half dominance. One mistake all night . . .
    How many goals this season has Innis directly been responsible for? Not to mention clear cut opportunities gifted to the opposition. I couldn't even count. That is not normal! If you're constantly shipping goals it really doesn't matter how good you are

The other day I was trying to think of another CAFC defender who has made as many errors as Ryan has this season. I'm still struggling.
  • Options
    The touchline was 1 inch away from Ryan to tap/boot if into. He decided to backheal it infield and by looks of it, onto his own leg. 

Everybody has defended his approach to games since Garner left, but this bit of 'fancy play' can only be pinned to arrogance. 

Good header for our goal and a solid game apart. Keep focused Ryan!
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    m_2 said:
    But that’s the issue for me. Does not matter as a defender if you’re excellent for 99 minutes, due to where you are on the pitch your mistakes are going to be punished more so than others.
    His mistake was on the halfway line, we had enough players back that we should have been able to deal with it. If we're 1-0 up and he does that fair enough but at 3-0 I can see why you might try something clever. He was unfortunate that he backheeled it into his own foot (somehow)

That Daniel Crowley would be worth a look at. I thought he looked threatening all game, quick, tricky, good balance. 
  • Options
    Three important points. Good to get them now rather than later. Ought to get to 55-60 from there, even with this squad.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Inniss is good at winning headers and poor in terms of his heading when he wins them. The tactic should always be for him to win the ball and head into a danger area IMO. Our players would hopefully be alive to that.

Apart from the goal, he did have a good game. Morcambe were quite a small team, I felt, which may also have helped us.