Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

OMG! MILLWALL MIGHT GET PROMOTED - but not in 2023 :)

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Even I remember this @james Seed
    My bad. I didn't go in '67, so wouldn't have been at that match. The '67 was a typo, sorry. JS died during the World Cup in '66, when I was nine, and I never went to the Den after that - and have never been to the New Den either.
    Also, after a game we'd be in the boardroom eating sarnies etc for a couple of hours while JS and my dad had some beverages with football connections.
    So any post match shenanigans would have been over long before we left the ground, even I had attended that game.
    But I honestly don't remember any trouble in the ground during the matches I attended. I can't remember how many games I went to - maybe ten or twenty? I remember one where Harry Cripps saved a goal with his hands, and Stepney saved the resulting penalty.
    I do remember the toilet in the boardroom was just like a big tin thing. Apparently there wasn't plumbing because of the surrounding railway lines or something? It's all a bit of a blur if I'm honest.
    The next Millwall game I went to was when my dad took me to Charlton v Millwall at The Valley 31st Dec 1966 0-0 (29,000).
    Dad was a Charlton fan (posted to Woolwich barracks after the war ended) and after JS died he told me more about Charlton, and got me to read JS's biography. I hung around at the gates after the game collecting players autographs in the programme. I wish I still had it. 
    After that the next time I was Millwall was the game at The Valley nearly 54 years later when the ref cheated us out of a draw after their keeper dropped the ball and someone slotted it home.
    A couple of years later I was playing for my school and wrote to Charlton asking for a trial. They actually said yes, but I didn't turn up because I realised I was rubbish.
    54 years is a long time. There's still a rumour floating around that I'm either still a Millwall fan, or was until five years ago. It's not true folks. I was as gutted as anyone when we lost in 2020, and when Naby Sarr let Smith nod in the winner in the away match. We could and should have drawn both games.
    But I don't hate them, because they looked after JS when the Glikstens didn't.
    More fool you, think of all those away wins you've missed out on..............oh.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Worked as an apprentice in Deptford in the early sixties. Most of my colleagues were Millwall supporters, who kept trying to persuade me to go to the Old Den, even though they knew I am a Charlton supporter. I did go eventually when they played us in the Kent County Cup, surprise to all, we of course lost. Saw no problems and my colleagues were too busy taking the piss out of me to involved with trouble.
    @ross1
    sorry but when did Millwall have a ground called the Old Den.

The Den 😀
    The New Den😀

the Old Den😂😂😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Worked as an apprentice in Deptford in the early sixties. Most of my colleagues were Millwall supporters, who kept trying to persuade me to go to the Old Den, even though they knew I am a Charlton supporter. I did go eventually when they played us in the Kent County Cup, surprise to all, we of course lost. Saw no problems and my colleagues were too busy taking the piss out of me to involved with trouble.
    @ross1

The Den 😀
    The New Den😀

the Old Den😂😂😂😂😂😂
    They start most sentences with the “thee old”.  They probably call it the old new den.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    ross1 said:
    @ross1

The Den 😀
    The New Den 😀

the Old Den😂😂😂😂😂😂
    It's not called The New Den, it's called The Den 

The New Den  :D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    @ross1

The Den 😀
    The New Den 😀

the Old Den😂😂😂😂😂😂
    It's not called The New Den, it's called The Den 

The New Den  :D:D:D:D:D:D
    The rusty toolbox.
  • Options
    Emoji'ell
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Senegal Fields. That upsets them.
  • Options
    New London Stadium.
  • Options
    Played a golf league match yesterday against Westerham. The two guys we played were both Millwall. 
    We won 4&2. Took every inch of self restraint not to say “it’s been a bad week for you boys”
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    @ross1

The Den 😀
    The New Den😀

the Old Den😂😂😂😂😂😂
    You know what I mean 🤔
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    @ross1

The Den 😀
    The New Den😀

the Old Den😂😂😂😂😂😂
    By default if there is a new Den, there must have been an old den !? 
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Like others have mentioned they are not a well run football club at all. they are a well funded football club. Not sure it has been mentioned but I think when the 4th goal went in they showed Berylsen shaking his head. Priceless. He goes they will be back to taking 6 pts off us in L1.
    Are you looking at this with your Charlton tinted glasses ? ;0)
    Not well run ? They have Steve Kavanagh ( remember him ?) as an experienced and respected CEO who is also on the board of The EFL. They have an owner that has stuck with them and funded them adequately without breaking rules and came within a whisker of making the Championship playoffs on a budget that is probably about 16th or so in that league and an income of around the same. A manager who has built that team over seven (?) seasons. As much as I dislike saying it, that sounds pretty well run to me. At present they are a long way ahead of where we are and frankly it’s hard to see where we make up ground. 
    That's it don't see how can anyone think they are not well run what I would give to see us run as good IMO owner Ceo & manager all on the same song sheet if they all stay there it's only a matter of time till they go up as they are getting stronger by the season 
    My point on this was that without Berylsen's wealth they would not continue to be a 'well run club'. Yes they get the best value out of every £1 they spend and yes of course I am jealous of them and would love to be in their position. But they are very lucky to have the owner that they do have. It will be very interesting to see what they do this summer and for next season. 
    Of course I know who Kavanagh is but he is still reliant on the owner. If he returned to Charlton or even Southend he would not be able to turn around either club without financial backing and of course the trust to 'let him do his job'.
    Football as a business is pure madness. Sutton I recently read are a well run club with a loss of only £274k. It is just crazy and when the owner stops putting in the funds as we know only too well the consequences are not good.
    Ultimately, though, this is going to be a property play for Berylson - the sort Roland thought he was going to get at Charlton.

I was at The Den yesterday (Dulwich women's last game of the season, v Millwall Lionesses, was switched there at the last minute). I hadn't quite realised just how much development is now taking place right on their doorstep - student flats and another big development on Ilderton Road and two big developments at the Deptford end of Surrey Canal Road. And that's before all the New Bermondsey towers come to the area surrounding The Den. 

And Millwall want a piece of the action themselves: https://www.afl-architects.com/projects/the-den-redevelopment

This is why Berylson is happy to keep funding the losses there - he can develop that land, make a fortune, while keeping Millwall at home at the same time. Which is something that's a lot harder to do with The Valley. 
  • Options

Anyhow, if Millwall don't care about us, what was this doing in their car park yesterday?  :p
    I would like to say it is celebrating a rare event,  but sadly not.
  • Options

Anyhow, if Millwall don't care about us, what was this doing in their car park yesterday?  :p
    Cup final?
  • Options

That was a dark day.
    You’re not wrong.

Not often, but perhaps once or twice a season they turn the place into packed out fortress.  Our players from minute one didn’t fancy it, they looked shy, pretended they didn’t know each other and all their fighting spirit was drained out of them from the 1st minute.  

But it’s a not a formality, look at Blackburn the other day, they came back from behind twice, they stuck to their tactics of playing out from the back with cool heads, you can silence the place on the occasion, the old manager saying of “you’ve gotta earn the right to play” a big factor.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

And what was you doing in their car park ? :D
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    ross1 said:
    @ross1

The Den 😀
    The New Den😀

the Old Den😂😂😂😂😂😂
    You know what I mean 🤔
    Of course I do , but would appear some other people don’t?😊
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    We buried our cat at Senegal Fields.

While i can not prove with any certainty, it wasn't dug up with the building of the New Den.

Given the stadium location and how deep my father excavated into the earth, i'm confident the remnants are still buried below the northeastern quadrant of the pitch. 

True story.

So your cat has put a curse on us, thanks.
  • Options

And what was you doing in their car park ? :D
    Was the car park full at McDonalds?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    PopIcon said:
    We buried our cat at Senegal Fields.

While i can not prove with any certainty, it wasn't dug up with the building of the New Den.

Given the stadium location and how deep my father excavated into the earth, i'm confident the remnants are still buried below the northeastern quadrant of the pitch. 

True story.

So your cat has put a curse on us, thanks.
    Must have dug the cat up from coldblow lane.
  • Options
    We’ve never even benefited from a dead cat bounce in our matches with them.
  • Options
    Wow how good do Luton look to go up so much so I am thinking of cashing out my bet on Coventry pays £19-85 on a £10 bet not a lot but it's better than losing 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    We’ve never even benefited from a dead cat bounce in our matches with them.
    It's definitely not been perrrrrfect ok I will get my coat 
  • Options

If we were to ever beat Millwall in the future 4 nil i would want more than a large banner. I expect a full on statue of young Miles Leaburns son, Charles Leaburn celebrating his hat trick whilst the commentary of the victory plays in a continuous loop. 
  • Options
    And Addicks to Victory being played as well?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!