Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-Match thread; Charlton Athletic Vs Barnsley | Saturday 14th January 2023-KO 3-00 PM

Comments

• We probably don’t win that 9 in ten times and thankfully that was the tenth .
    The result massive , the performance quells my optimism that we’ll be knocking on the play off door .
    Superb effort from all and for the first time in my life a few weeks back I had genuine fears of 4th tier football that has 100% disappeared now and I never want those feelings to darken my door again .

Never thought we’d miss the emperors new clothes  Garner and Holden has got a tune out of these boys , will it continues who knows but for now it feels good to be able to relax and anything from now on in will be a bonus .
    Great effort from Bonne (I am his harshest critic) but I think he’s carrying a bit so lose a bit and improve on his fitness and he’ll be even more of a thorn in the oppos side , well done him 
    Rak Sakyi has to stay for the rest of the season if there is gonna be any chance of a miracle run to the playoffs , think he’s now our top scorer …. 
    Onwards ….
  • edited January 2023
    When we put out that team against Oxford I had major doubts about Holden. I thought that anybody could have told him that team would struggle and being new, why didn't he ask anybody? Maybe he did, who knows. But isn't that football? You get a setback and then something clicks into place. From that, Holden has found a side that can compete and seems to have qualities we thought we didn't have. I have always believed that when you are in our situation, manager wise, you chance upon somebody and back them. They need a chance and support of course and I thought the previous two didn't really get that chance, but it was very difficult for Holden coming in and he has done terrific and we have to let him have the rope and see where he takes us. Maybe the previous two, and maybe even three had the added issue of being told how to play whereas Holden looks like he has decided on that.

All Charlton fans want and have wanted is a team they can support. It feels like we have finally found that this season and Holden needs to take a lot of credit. As for the game, yes Barnsley looked decent but a bit fragile defensively. That is good because their record shows that is a strength of theirs and maybe offensively they don't always capitalise, which was evident yesterday as well. If you go beyond stats, we had the better chances and that is a big reason why we won. We were clearly a bit tired from playing a top team on a big pitch and giving everything but we are now a team with belief and that carried us through agianst one of the better sides in this League. Long may that continue and if we carry on like this offensively, the park the bus tactics employed by the weaker teams may start to work for us.
  • Interesting video showing some classy Barnsley fans... 
    2:40 showing young children giving middle fingers and wanker gestures.
    Good parents eh. 

https://youtu.be/5SHpiMVQr8g

• 75 points is often good enough for 6th place, but it can go as high as 80. We probably need to average more than 2 points per game between now and the end of the season to get to 6th, and that is having already won our last 3 matches. A month ago this forum was awash with condemnation of the players and proclamation of how only Dobbo is “good enough”. Three wins, of which not all of them have been entirely convincing, and suddenly we’ve got people trying to convince themselves that this team is capable of half a season of championship winning form and can make the playoffs and proclaiming Holden as the new messiah. 

The ease with which some of you will drop your knickers is quite alarming.

Adkins was undefeated in his first 5 league games winning 3, Jacko 6 winning 5. Garner only lost 1 of his first 6 which included thrashing now league leaders Plymouth 5-1. None of them could sustain it long term and each time the players reverted to type after an initial upturn in effort and confidence. Holden still has a long way to go to show he is better than the men that have gone before him, however promising his start has been. The players certainly need to do a lot more to show this is more than just a short term uptick.

Enjoy the winning feeling again, but I think a few people are getting well ahead of themselves. 
    Great post.
  • Was working but so nice to read we won and the other team was decent rather than we lost and the other team was utter shit but we were worse!
  • 75 points is often good enough for 6th place, but it can go as high as 80. We probably need to average more than 2 points per game between now and the end of the season to get to 6th, and that is having already won our last 3 matches. A month ago this forum was awash with condemnation of the players and proclamation of how only Dobbo is “good enough”. Three wins, of which not all of them have been entirely convincing, and suddenly we’ve got people trying to convince themselves that this team is capable of half a season of championship winning form and can make the playoffs and proclaiming Holden as the new messiah. 

Adkins was undefeated in his first 5 league games winning 3, Jacko 6 winning 5. Garner only lost 1 of his first 6 which included thrashing now league leaders Plymouth 5-1. None of them could sustain it long term and each time the players reverted to type after an initial upturn in effort and confidence. Holden still has a long way to go to show he is better than the men that have gone before him, however promising his start has been. The players certainly need to do a lot more to show this is more than just a short term uptick.

Enjoy the winning feeling again, but I think a few people are getting well ahead of themselves. 
    You're  right of course but let's see what happens in the rest of the transfer window before completely writing our chances off.

So far we've moved on F-C and MacGillivray. If we can do likewise with Kirk and Jaiyesimi, and possibly Stockley, and replace them with 3 more quality signings AND hang onto Leaburn and Ness for a bit longer, then we could end up with a squad that might just challenge for a play off place.

And confidence breeds confidence. Go on an unbeaten run of 8 or 9 games and it could get interesting.
  • In 2022 we lose that game. 

Didn’t play well and lots looked absolutely knackered (unsurprisingly). Dobson in particular was dead on his feet.

We were pretty rubbish but the boys gave everything and ground it out. As said, 3 weeks ago we lose that game because they just wouldn’t have put the effort in. Amazing turnaround. Really liking Holden.

Ness is some player and Wollacott has a serious job in his hands getting the gloves back. Feel for him really - he’s gone from going to the World Cup to being Charlton’s number 2! 

Delighted, on to Peterborough! 
  • At last we seem to have a manager that wants to win at all costs that puts points on the board.
    we also have an excellent striker in Bonne 
    great performance against a good Barnsley team.
    well done Charlton and well done Dean Holden 👍👍👍
  • Sponsored links:

You're  right of course but let's see what happens in the rest of the transfer window before completely writing our chances off.

So far we've moved on F-C and MacGillivray. If we can do likewise with Kirk and Jaiyesimi, and possibly Stockley, and replace them with 3 more quality signings AND hang onto Leaburn and Ness for a bit longer, then we could end up with a squad that might just challenge for a play off place.

And confidence breeds confidence. Go on an unbeaten run of 8 or 9 games and it could get interesting.
    Crucial next 6 games. We play against 4 of the potentially catchable teams. Let’s see where we are then.
  • We had a mid week fixture away at United where our players probably felt mentally and physically exhausted after.

It was also likely a bit of an anti climax to go from that...and then face barnsley at home in league one!

We did a great job to keep a clean sheet and get the win. Even if we were the 2nd best team 
  • To be honest, as shattered as we looked by the end again, we do that week after week with proper recovery, we'll have a squad fit enough for the Championship and it should be one of the fittest in this league in time.
    Not necessarily the best squad, but the fittest.

If however we continue putting that effort in without proper recovery, we will increase our injury count and we will struggle to maintain our way of playing and will fall away.

Good news is, Holden is already telling us that they're getting the added day of recovery. 

• We've got a manager who can get these boys fighting for the badge, grinding out wins and putting bodies on the line, even though they played against the best opposition they ever will just days before. 

Let's give them some credit here, they won against a mostly organised Barnsley side that played some decent football, but couldn't break down our solid defence. Their shots were mostly wishful as they only actually got in a couple of really good shooting positions. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Henry's contract expires at the end of the season and he's refusing to sign a new one, so we probably won't see his potential come to fruition

We can quote you on that can we ?
    You know him and his family ?
    His agent ?
    Source ?
    Ben Garner.

Cheers.
    Maybe it will change if Aaron Henry can get more game time under Holden.
    Aaron Henry was injured earlier in the season and that and his slow return to some sort of form was the reason for lack of game time. If, as mentioned, Aaron is refusing to sign a contract, they may be other reasons for that stance, 'I deserve to be playing' doesn't seem to be one of them. 
  • edited January 2023
    Bailey said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Henry's contract expires at the end of the season and he's refusing to sign a new one, so we probably won't see his potential come to fruition

We can quote you on that can we ?
    You know him and his family ?
    His agent ?
    Source ?
    Ben Garner.

Cheers.
    Maybe it will change if Aaron Henry can get more game time under Holden.
    Aaron Henry was injured earlier in the season and that and his slow return to some sort of form was the reason for lack of game time. If, as mentioned, Aaron is refusing to sign a contract, they may be other reasons for that stance, 'I deserve to be playing' doesn't seem to be one of them. 
    Don't think it's ever been said he has an attitude problem and thinks he "deserves" to be playing over others, more that he just wants to go somewhere where he will play. 
  • edited January 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    To be honest, as shattered as we looked by the end again, we do that week after week with proper recovery, we'll have a squad fit enough for the Championship and it should be one of the fittest in this league in time.
    Not necessarily the best squad, but the fittest.

If however we continue putting that effort in without proper recovery, we will increase our injury count and we will struggle to maintain our way of playing and will fall away.

Good news is, Holden is already telling us that they're getting the added day of recovery. 
    Good points and you know the fitness side of the game well, but no mention of losing 2 players in 45 minutes. That will eat into your squad and place extra demanda and burdens. 
  • Who knows whether Garner was good or bad, same with Holden but the immediate ball tickling of Garner was just as ridiculous as the same with Holden .
    You have to use whats available and no way did Garner use the players and get the maximum out of them , hence our pony points return against some real shit teams .
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    The 'Garner was rubbish' narrative has settled in well and truly then, unfairly I might add. Holden has done well. Like Garner before him he's identified an effective system and unlike Garner he's shown some pragmatism. The biggest spanner in Garner's works was player availability. I'd advise checking his points gained with Leaburn available versus Leaburn not available. Losing EOC, Sessegnon, Egbo at points also screwed him over. The last three games have been good, but Holden has indisputably had a FAR better squad to choose from than the one that stumbled through Garner's last few games 
    And we got rid of Garner for this …..
  • edited January 2023
    Clare’s chance (in the second half, from about nine yards) didn’t make the highlights, and I don’t thinks it’s been mentioned here. He side footed it past the far post with just the keeper to beat.

It was one of those games where we looked second best, but still fashioned a win out of the chances we’ve had. We’re normally on the receiving end of those results, but good to see us being clinical this time round. 
    Unfortunately I don’t think we’ll make the playoffs without  a collapse in form from some of the teams above us in the table. We might be six points behind Barnsley in 6th, but they have two games in hand on us, so it might well be nine or tens points in reality. 
    Essential that we hang on to Ness and Leaburn if we want to progress. 
  • The game unfolded as games do.
    In my opinion we looked second best initially but by the end we looked deserved winners.
    Maybe that’s how ‘punching above your weight’ is defined.
  • Southbank said:
    Leuth said:
    The 'Garner was rubbish' narrative has settled in well and truly then, unfairly I might add. Holden has done well. Like Garner before him he's identified an effective system and unlike Garner he's shown some pragmatism. The biggest spanner in Garner's works was player availability. I'd advise checking his points gained with Leaburn available versus Leaburn not available. Losing EOC, Sessegnon, Egbo at points also screwed him over. The last three games have been good, but Holden has indisputably had a FAR better squad to choose from than the one that stumbled through Garner's last few games 
    No, Garner insisted in playing a system that he did not have the players for. The passing around at the back was hideous to watch and often  dangerous with the defenders not being up to it. We ended up losing games where we had 60% possession.

Holden has dumped that quite rightly and Inniss in particular has benefited, and the defence in general.

Garner also had one fit experienced Centre Forward and played a system that he could not fit in to. Fortunately Miles came through at the right time to compensate for that a little.

Garner was operating from the trendy coaching manual not the real world of actual players with their skills and limitations and it nearly got us in the relegation zone.
    100% agreed - he was partly culpable in leaving us with that lack of striker situation and totally culpable for the style of play 
  • Reminds me a bit of what we had under bowyer. Plenty of times we looked 2nd best but just had that will to win. Early days but it looks promising under holden. If we get that left back in, sess can stay fit and Kane’s injury isn’t too bad then I think we can really surprise a few people this half of the season. 
  • That was an excellent result against a very decent Barnsley team. We struggled to control the game but defended very well, putting in lots of great blocks and tackles. We also had the better chances, so I think we just about deserved the win, even though we have played better than that and lost. Barnsley were great in their build-up play, but lacking in the final third.

Thought it was a really enjoyable game of football, and a decent standard of football too.

I think the playoffs are too far off - not that big a gap in terms of points, but quite a few teams above us who we will need to out-perform too. However, I am quite optimistic that we will win more than we lose from here on in. The elephant in the room is of course the ownership issue, but on the pitch we seem to be gradually putting in place foundations for a decent next season. Please take note, Thomas: Do not flog our decent players - look at the bigger picture! In recent weeks we have demonstrated the potential for the club to be in a bigger and better place, but this needs a proper longer-term (at very least medium-term) strategy, and selling your best players should not be part of that strategy.
  • I didn’t see yesterdays game but was very pleased for us to win against a Barnsley side I watched outplay us over 90 minutes up at Oakwell in September. It’s worth remembering I think, just how much Charlton are a transitional team. New manager, new players and new system. I still don’t think that we have even a first eleven that’s good enough to challenge, let alone squad. I’m still hoping that first eleven will be addressed this window. Edun and two or three more first team ready might tip the present unbalance. Of course all the hopes in the world won’t amount to a hill of beans if what’s going on behind the scenes doesn’t work out.