Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-Match thread; Charlton Athletic Vs Barnsley | Saturday 14th January 2023-KO 3-00 PM

Comments

• Very happy with that. Shame for Bonne the keeper palmed his shot onto the post ( according to the commentary team, but I couldnt see that even on replay).

But look, Sessignon. That’s now three times this season someone’s been pulled out in the warm up. There is no way that is bad luck. Chrissake, someone get a grip on that set up! Can’t blame them for Kane, that’s just bad luck but it was made worse by the fact that we’d had that very late change, so the team did very well to overcome both setbacks. Holden seems not to be worried by Kane’s injury, hope he’s right, thought he did pretty well and can play a useful long ball, sent a beauty in to set up JRS.
  • Enjoyable game that, both sides missed chances. Holden is doing well and seems to have made a connection with the fans which Garner lacked and is important for any successful side 
  • PWR

Why was AMB wearing a face mask?
  • PWR

He's recently returned from concussion, I believe it may now actually be mandatory (or at the bare minimum strongly recommended) that he has some form of protection for his head/face.
  • edited January 2023
    Think AMB has had some hits to the nose recently. Not sure if it was the concussion in training incident. 
  • Did you see Leaburn's elbow on him in the first 10 mins? Lucky not to see yellow or worse. 

I don't think his first red is too far away. Got lucky v Brighton too, with the lunge on the keeper. There's something building.

That said, I like the increased physicality of Leaburn's game...apart from the dopey free-kicks. Young bloke...aggression....I get it....I like it....but a trait to keep an eye on. 
  • aliwibble said:
    Was it a dirty game, or was the ref just picky, as I had a look through the BBC live text and there seemed to be more fouls and yellow cards than normal?

Not dirty (is there such a thing these days?). Just a lot of pulling people back (we actually got away with one very early on), late challenges and in Clare's case, late and high, which matey hurdled. Inniss also booked for looking like he was about to nut a bloke.

Nothing major....but mainly justified yellows in today's climate. 
  • Watched that today and the thought that went through my mind is how on earth are the chancers lining up our takeover even contemplating cutting our academy?

Ness put in a highly impressive performance,  building on his recent ones; Maynard-Brewer looks like his time has come; Campbell scored a lovely goal and run his heart out ; Henry came on and put in a good shift, meaning Forster-Caskey is unlikely to be missed; and Leaburn, of course, is destined for a big move, just hopefully not yet.

Why on earth would you want to cut  or maybe even close, a system that gives you players of this quality?
    Playing devil's advocate, because I agree it would be lunacy, Leaburn, Ness, AMB, Lookman,  Pope, Aribo and Burstow didn't come through our academy and would be examples of the type of the player we would end up with more of.
  • Sponsored links:

• PWR

He and Clare in the club Zorro lookalike competition!
  • I mean all this talk about the game is fine but what we really wanna know is, how many fanzines did @paulie8290 sell?
  • Fumbluff said:
    I mean all this talk about the game is fine but what we really wanna know is, how many fanzines did @paulie8290 sell?
    At least one from me.
  • PWR

I believe he broke his nose in training, so it was to give it some protection.
  • mendonca said:
    For those wishing we sign up Holden - just learn from the Jacko scenario and take stock at the end of the season, when his contract is due. 
    still comfident we'd be in the top 8nif we'd retained jacko
  • edited January 2023
    Didn’t someone say AMB had a nose operation after the Man Utd game? Given he didn’t miss any matches I assume it was something minor like resetting it after a break, but it was necessary to wear a face mask for protection so he could play. 

*Edit* just opened the other thread and see it was oohaah who said it.
  • We took care of Barnsley 
  • Stig said:
    PWR

It's injury through plague, just like in Doctor Who. If you listed carefully you could hear him calling to Clare, 'are you my mummy'?
    Wrong type of mask for that @Stig ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• aliwibble said:
    Was it a dirty game, or was the ref just picky, as I had a look through the BBC live text and there seemed to be more fouls and yellow cards than normal?
    The ref was awful - blowing his whistle every 5 seconds. Frustrating to watch.

Surprised there wasn't more injury time...
    And wtf was that all about at the end of the first half. Wait for an injured player to get treated & back on the pitch, give us a drop ball & then promptly blow for half time as soon ad we kick the ball upfield. No referee can 100% tell how much "added" time there is do just blow for half time once the player is back on his feet....or preferably beforehand so that players aren't standing around for no reason. 

Plank. 
  • We took care of Barnsley 
    We gave Barnsley the chop
  • edited January 2023
    thenewbie said:
    PWR

He's recently returned from concussion, I believe it may now actually be mandatory (or at the bare minimum strongly recommended) that he has some form of protection for his head/face.
    JonT_Abs said:
    Think AMB has had some hits to the nose recently. Not sure if it was the concussion in training incident. 
    PWR

Stig said:
    PWR

It's injury through plague, just like in Doctor Who. If you listed carefully you could hear him calling to Clare, 'are you my mummy'?
    Thanks men and smart arse @stig ;)
  • PWR

Absolutely sure I remember hearing on commentary the other night that he was having a minor operation on his nose the day after the Man Utd game.
  • Solidgone said:
    Does this mean we are back onboard HMS Pistheleague or HMS Maketheplayoffs?
    I’m on a 36ft sailing yacht called “I’mnotpissedoffwiththeusualcrapthisweekendcoswegotawinbutletsseehowwegobeforegettingonanybiggerboats”
  • We started with a teenage front line consisting of 3! 
  • edited January 2023
    PWR

He had an operation on his nose following a break last year. 
  • Very happy with that. Shame for Bonne the keeper palmed his shot onto the post ( according to the commentary team, but I couldnt see that even on replay).

But look, Sessignon. That’s now three times this season someone’s been pulled out in the warm up. There is no way that is bad luck. Chrissake, someone get a grip on that set up! Can’t blame them for Kane, that’s just bad luck but it was made worse by the fact that we’d had that very late change, so the team did very well to overcome both setbacks. Holden seems not to be worried by Kane’s injury, hope he’s right, thought he did pretty well and can play a useful long ball, sent a beauty in to set up JRS.
    It's a very good point you make Prague. We all know we have a forward in Chuks who came in from Birmingham, and as far as I'm aware, did not have too many problems whilst he was there, I get that Chuks has had injury issues in the past but not to the level since he re-joined Charlton. Sessignon going lame in the warm up is starting to sound alarm bells and I think questions need to put to the coaches and medical team to get to the root of the problem.  
  • edited January 2023
    PWR

Nope it was damage done last year.

The healing didn't go to plan is what I've heard and has led to the need for an operation.