Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CRAIG MACGILLIVRAY JOINS BURTON ALBION

1235»

Comments

• Options
    He wasn’t great but nowhere near as bad as Thuram….the other name that comes up is Jim Stannard who had a mare in his one game but a decent career otherwise. It is a matter of record towards the end of his time at Gillingham their fans used to pelt him with celery, he having er, bulked up a bit by then.
    And sang a song about celery and bum tickling. 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Excellent news. 
    I regret to say he is one of the worst goalkeepers I've seen play for us. 
    I wish him well. 
    Andy Peterson? Sasa Ilic?
    Andy Peterson and Sasa Ilic were both excellent keepers and miles above McG.

Ilic still has our record for clean sheets in a row doesn’t he?

As stated Yohann Thuram-Ulien will always have that honour.

Goalkeepers’ clean sheets are invariably dictated by the defensive structure in front of them .  I’d say Ilic was as bad as Craig - made huge numbers of errors in our first relegation season from the premier league .  Letters was good on his line but otherwise very limited .
  • Options
    Rob Elliot gets away with it just being a Charlton fan. Had a few good games but mostly was poor. He didn’t like coming off his line either. Watch 2009/10 and 2010/11 highlights.
  • Options
    Bit of a difference between the PL and League One, mind?
  • Options
    Ilic had a bad run after the injury at Chelsea for sure. It gets forgotten a bit, but two seasons later after Deano got injured v Derby he played the rest of the season and was very solid. 
  • Options
    Rob Elliot gets away with it just being a Charlton fan. Had a few good games but mostly was poor. He didn’t like coming off his line either. Watch 2009/10 and 2010/11 highlights.
    Yeah, Elliot was quite overrated by Charlton fans, imo. Not great on crosses, bit of weakness vs. long range shots, but injury prone. Nice land, Carlton boy etc. but that didn't make him inherently any better at goalkeeping. I was very surprised that he got a move to the Premier League. Better than CMac, but not one of our better post premier league era keepers, though. Certainly not when compared to others who were considered first choice for any period of time.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Excellent news. 
    I wish him well. 

Goalkeepers’ clean sheets are invariably dictated by the defensive structure in front of them .  I’d say Ilic was as bad as Craig - made huge numbers of errors in our first relegation season from the premier league .  Letters was good on his line but otherwise very limited .
    If you say that then it's clear that you don't have any idea what you are talking about.
    Ilic was brilliant in the promotion season, especially in the final 10 games of the league.
    His form in the Prem was never the same after he got concussed.
    To even suggest that he was as bad as MacCalamity is ridiculous.
    Thanks for your friendly assertion at my lack of knowledge .  Ilic let in goal after goal when he played in the premier league .  He played behind a good defence that had nothing to do in the promotion season, bar against Birmingham when he was brilliant . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Excellent news. 
    I wish him well. 

If you say that then it's clear that you don't have any idea what you are talking about.
    Ilic was brilliant in the promotion season, especially in the final 10 games of the league.
    Thanks for your friendly assertion at my lack of knowledge .  Ilic let in goal after goal when he played in the premier league .  He played behind a good defence that had nothing to do in the promotion season, bar against Birmingham when he was brilliant . 
    If we start a poll to ask who performed best for Charlton Illic or McGillivray, how much will you donate to the Upbeats if Illic wins? 
  • Options
    I always felt Elliot got more grief than he deserved, mostly because of people feeling that he got a free pass for being an academy product, which is a hell of a lot of mental gymnastics. 52 Premier League appearances is certainly a better career than many would have given him credit for though. That's more than Randolph (34), Hamer (19), Button (5), Alnwick (6), Etheridge (38!), Henderson (0), Phillips (0), Rudd (14), Amos (1), or Steer (3) managed by a way. Only Pope and pre-gastric band Nicky Weaver have more Premier League appearances, and Weaver only played 57 which surprised me. Elliot might not have been the best keeper for us out of those but he showed more in the Premier League than a fair few of the 'better' keepers 
    Hamer played more than 19 games
  • Options
    I always felt Elliot got more grief than he deserved, mostly because of people feeling that he got a free pass for being an academy product, which is a hell of a lot of mental gymnastics. 52 Premier League appearances is certainly a better career than many would have given him credit for though. That's more than Randolph (34), Hamer (19), Button (5), Alnwick (6), Etheridge (38!), Henderson (0), Phillips (0), Rudd (14), Amos (1), or Steer (3) managed by a way. Only Pope and pre-gastric band Nicky Weaver have more Premier League appearances, and Weaver only played 57 which surprised me. Elliot might not have been the best keeper for us out of those but he showed more in the Premier League than a fair few of the 'better' keepers 
    8 for Leicester in 14/15, 4 in 17/18 and then 7 for Huddersfield in 18/19, which makes 19. Which ones do you think I've missed?
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Excellent news. 
    I wish him well. 

If we start a poll to ask who performed best for Charlton Illic or McGillivray, how much will you donate to the Upbeats if Illic wins? 
    Show me how to donate to the upbeats - I don’t need to be in the losing side of a poll to donate to a good cause.  Craig was absolutely dire but I don’t think he’d have conceded many behind Mills, Rufus, Youds and Bowen.  I didn’t see a good keeper at Charlton until Kiely came .  
  • Options
    8 for Leicester in 14/15, 4 in 17/18 and then 7 for Huddersfield in 18/19, which makes 19. Which ones do you think I've missed?
    Also for a brief period, Rob was Newcastle's number One. Injury put him out for virtually a whole season.
  • Options
    Numbers from Wiki so probably rough estimates !

Rob Elliott left Charlton in 2011 and made 55 appearances for Newcastle 1 Watford and 4 for the Republic of Ireland
    total 60 games 

Darren Randolph left Charlton in 2010 and made 111 for Motherwell , 91 for Birmingham , 33 For West Ham, 106 for Middlesbrough and 50 caps for the Republic of Ireland 
    391 games 

• Options
    Elliot was second and third choice, a small window of first choice, at Newcastle they couldn’t get him out of the team quick enough.
    I believe he had the same agent as Andy Woodman a goalkeeping coach at Charlton and who moved  on to Newcastle with Pardew in 2010 before they signed Elliot in 2011

Randolph I believe was a far superior keeper 
  • Options
    Elliot was second and third choice, a small window of first choice, at Newcastle they couldn’t get him out of the team quick enough.
    I believe he had the same agent as Andy Woodman a goalkeeping coach at Charlton and who moved  on to Newcastle with Pardew in 2010 before they signed Elliot in 2011

Randolph I believe was a far superior keeper 
    I'd agree, but Elliott can still be a good keeper even if Randolph was a better one. But nuance is not a friend on football forums.
  • Options
    Numbers from Wiki so probably rough estimates !

Rob Elliott left Charlton in 2011 and made 55 appearances for Newcastle 1 Watford and 4 for the Republic of Ireland
    total 60 games 

Darren Randolph left Charlton in 2010 and made 111 for Motherwell , 91 for Birmingham , 33 For West Ham, 106 for Middlesbrough and 50 caps for the Republic of Ireland 
    391 games 

Yep. Mostly at Championship level, or in Scotland. Randolph had one brief run as West Ham's number 1 in the Premier League when Adrian went all Adrian but by the end of that season West Ham decided he wasn't good enough and sold him to Middlesbrough back down a level. Randolph was a very good Championship keeper, not quite good enough for the Premier League. A very good level. It's not true that Newcastle couldn't get Elliot out of the team quickly enough though, in 15/16 he came in and was excellent, was actually the first Newcastle keeper to keep two consecutive clean sheets in two years and stayed in the first team before an ACL injury took him out of the team and the Irish Euro 2016 reckoning. Very unfortunate timing, but then you could say he was lucky two keepers in front of him got injured to give him a chance. Much like how Dillon Phillips was our best player in the Championship, but only got in our League One team because Villa had an injury scare and recalled Steer. Phillip was probably the only permanent player in that team who was too good for us and now he's mooching about in Belgium because he can't break into the Cardiff team because two fairly average keepers are ahead of him. Cardiff are 21st. Keepers have to take their chances when they come and then it's very hard to take them out if they're playing well, even if on the face of it there's a much better keeper sat waiting. I think Elliot's ability to seize his chances in the Premier League when they came says a lot about his mentality, which is a key part of being a decent keeper.
    Keepers are weird, I think they get windows where they're brilliant and just what the team needs, and moments when they're complete liabilities. Kepa and Mendy are in some weird tag team scenario where at any time one of them is good and one of them looks like he's allergic to hands, no middle ground. Neil Etheridge played an entire Premier League season despite being jogged on from Charlton in the Championship and sent to hang out at Walsall the second Stephen Henderson was available. Emi Martinez won a World Cup because Bernd Leno came off badly in a slide tackle. Nick Pope was a back up to an injury prone keeper who was openly critical of the ownership so he got a platform at a good point for him, and now he's an England international. I wonder how many third keepers there are hanging about who could end up winning a league or a cup if just one thing changed, likely moreso than your average third choice left back.
  • Options
    60 games in ten years or 50 international appearances and 340 games 
    Elliot was Ilic with longevity.
    He made the most dough he could by being the right place right time and conveniently having a goalkeeper coach who had the same agent but Randolph had the playing career everyone would have preferred.
    Other clubs wanted Randy and got him , no one wanted Elliot at those prices .

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I guess that's the choice keepers make isn't it. Elliot was pretty harshly treated by Powell when Powell wanted Hamer, and Elliot chose to go the be a back up keeper in the Premier League rather than try and get a L1 or Championship job. He then could have left Newcastle at any time really and could have tried to make a run in a second division team but chose to sit, collect his money and fill in when needed. He got half a very good season out of it and will probably feel he could have had more if not for the injury. You're right to mention longevity; what Elliot did well was not make a bollocks of himself when called upon in the Prem. Ben Hamer, who I think most would rate as a better keeper tended to let the eccentric parts of his character take over in high pressure situations and as a result he just wasn't really trusted as a PL back up and got shunted down. Feels like he's only really re-establishing himself now. Elliot stayed at Newcastle for 9 seasons and was called upon in the PL in 5 of the 8 they were there, with 3 runs where he played more than 10 games. You can be a back-up keeper but if you aren't able to show you're reliable in that role you won't last. It's an odd niche but it's a valuable one.
    Is Randolph's career the one everyone would have wanted? I'd quite happily sit on my arse and collect a hell of a lot of money and then just fill in when needed. Sounds ideal to me! Randolph had a brief taste of that at West Ham and evidently decided that life wasn't for him, and good for him. There are some keepers who demand a number one spot and some like Richard Wright who I think end up a bit scarred by their experiences and are more than happy just to train and sit watching. I bet Scott Carson is proper pissed off when Pep puts him in for the odd game.
  • Options
    Ironically I agree with both positions re Elliot and Randolph. I think Darren was the better keeper 

However Iirc Robbie was Newcastle's POTY one season and his injury robbed him of the following season and gaining more international caps.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I guess that's the choice keepers make isn't it. Elliot was pretty harshly treated by Powell when Powell wanted Hamer, and Elliot chose to go the be a back up keeper in the Premier League rather than try and get a L1 or Championship job. He then could have left Newcastle at any time really and could have tried to make a run in a second division team but chose to sit, collect his money and fill in when needed. He got half a very good season out of it and will probably feel he could have had more if not for the injury. You're right to mention longevity; what Elliot did well was not make a bollocks of himself when called upon in the Prem. Ben Hamer, who I think most would rate as a better keeper tended to let the eccentric parts of his character take over in high pressure situations and as a result he just wasn't really trusted as a PL back up and got shunted down. Feels like he's only really re-establishing himself now. Elliot stayed at Newcastle for 9 seasons and was called upon in the PL in 5 of the 8 they were there, with 3 runs where he played more than 10 games. You can be a back-up keeper but if you aren't able to show you're reliable in that role you won't last. It's an odd niche but it's a valuable one.
    Is Randolph's career the one everyone would have wanted? I'd quite happily sit on my arse and collect a hell of a lot of money and then just fill in when needed. Sounds ideal to me! Randolph had a brief taste of that at West Ham and evidently decided that life wasn't for him, and good for him. There are some keepers who demand a number one spot and some like Richard Wright who I think end up a bit scarred by their experiences and are more than happy just to train and sit watching. I bet Scott Carson is proper pissed off when Pep puts him in for the odd game.
    Not knocking Elliot for the path he chose but Randolph can say that he played 50 times for his country and being part of the international set up for a number of years including every game in the 2016 Euros whereas Elliot played just 4 times in total. 
  • Options
    I thought Elliot wanted to move regardless that title winning season, so we played him until Hamer came in, and then Rob got the move to the Premier League... Rather than simply being frozen out etc
  • Options
    Not knocking Elliot for the path he chose but Randolph can say that he played 50 times for his country and being part of the international set up for a number of years including every game in the 2016 Euros whereas Elliot played just 4 times in total. 
    Absolutely, it's a great legacy for Randolph. Though there's a bit of an irony in the fact that Randolph likely only has that 2016 Euros playing accolade because Elliot had just done his ACL in his best ever season (while playing for Ireland). Randolph had made 6 PL appearances that season as a back up and probably would have been behind Elliot for that space
  • Options
    Unveiled his masterpiece today apparently, exactly when it was needed. Good job sir