Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• J BLOCK said:
    Can’t get excited by short term deals or loans. We’re not challenging for anything this season and no one we sign in this window will be here next season. Then the whole squad rebuild will happen for the 17151 time again in the summer. 
    Penney may be as he's out of contract at the end of the season.
    I think Kane and Bonne are out of contract too
  • J BLOCK said:
    Can’t get excited by short term deals or loans. We’re not challenging for anything this season and no one we sign in this window will be here next season. Then the whole squad rebuild will happen for the 17151 time again in the summer. 
    Try and think of it as a try before you sign. He is out of contract in July so he could well be here next season if he does well.
  • edited January 2023
    Swisdom said:
    J BLOCK said:
    What do you get excited by? Open heart surgery ?

we most certainly are challenging for something this season so get behind them, and the new gaffer, and enjoy the ride 
    Having an owner who isn’t an egotistical manic or a wrong’un.
  • Penney is a good signing and has plugged the huge hole in the squad. If we can hang on to Dobson, and to a lesser extent, Leaburn, then I think we will have a decent second half to the season. The signings we have made should of course have been made over last Summer, but better late than never.

• J BLOCK said:
    But we haven’t rebuilt the squad in the last 3 summers, that’s been the problem.  It’s needed to be completely gutted, but we’ve always kept too much crap, whether it be longer contracts under TS for poor players like Mansfield, or a general misguided commitment to the likes of Morgan, hoping he’ll magically come good.

As much as I’d like quality players in this window, it’s never gonna happen, even if we were being run in a stable manner, let alone with all the uncertainty around our future.  

Short term deals and loans are the safest option for us for a number of reasons
  • edited January 2023
    cabbles said:
    J BLOCK said:
    But we haven’t rebuilt the squad in the last 3 summers, that’s been the problem.  It’s needed to be completely gutted, but we’ve always kept too much crap, whether it be longer contracts under TS for poor players like Mansfield, or a general misguided commitment to the likes of Morgan, hoping he’ll magically come good.

As much as I’d like quality players in this window, it’s never gonna happen, even if we were being run in a stable manner, let alone with all the uncertainty around our future.  

Short term deals and loans are the safest option for us for a number of reasons

It's gonna happen...
  • Sponsored links:

• I take it the Blackburn defender is now off the table
    Injury table?
  • Is it true that we're under a transfer embargo? Can't sign any players for a fee?
  • jondon76 said:
    Is it true that we're under a transfer embargo? Can't sign any players for a fee?
    Rumours doing the rounds but as others have said the EFL publish such sanctions fairly swiftly these days and nothing in the public domain as yet.
  • jondon76 said:
    Is it true that we're under a transfer embargo? Can't sign any players for a fee?
    RedChaser said:
    jondon76 said:
    Rumours doing the rounds but as others have said the EFL publish such sanctions fairly swiftly these days and nothing in the public domain as yet.

Embargo Reporting Service

In the interests of transparency and in line with the principles of good governance, in June 2021 EFL Clubs approved an amendment to the Regulations to allow the EFL to publish a list of those Clubs under registration embargoes on EFL.com.

Clubs under embargo will be named on this dedicated Embargo Reporting Service page, along with the reason the Club has been placed under embargo. For example, the regulation the Club has failed to comply with.

For more information on Embargoes, please click here.

Championship

Reading

Breach of Profit and Sustainability Rules

Sheffield United

Regulation 52.2.3

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/embargoes/

• mart77 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Kane not he on loan from Coventry 
    Kane signed for them until July 2023 so he is out of contract. 

• To be honest if someone told me that in this window by the third game we would have got:

- a full back who can play both sides and had been playing in the championship this season.

- a striker who has scored double figure goals in the championship and league one in recent seasons.

- a left footed left back who has been playing in the Scottish premiership.

I’d say on paper that’s probably pretty solid for what you can get in January, whilst addressing the holes in our squad.

Manage to bring in one or two more of similar or better quality before the deadline, and overall it would have been a positive window in my opinion.
    This. IMO -the reason why we are quite far off the top 6 is not having sufficient cover at LB and having to use Stockley in a lone striker role. 

I am certain that over the next 20 matches we will pick up equal amount of points as Bolton, Barnsley & Peterborough will pick up. 
  • edited January 2023
    mart77 said:
    mart77 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Kane not he on loan from Coventry 
    Kane signed for them until July 2023 so he is out of contract. 

C’mon Mart, don’t let the facts get in the way of a certain person getting the wrong end of the stick 😉.
  • Redhenry said:
    Leuth said:
    I'm not unhappy Purrington isn't still with us. He offered little going forward (except when he decided to literally play striker) and defensively I felt he stood off his man a bit too much. He, Washington and Gilbey also gave me a certain self-pitying vibe which I can't quite fully explain. He'd have been preferable to Clayden, Clare or Chin in the position, for sure, but then we should never have had to play any of those at left-back
    Purrington was league 2 at best!

Did you think that when he was steady Eddie in the Championship?

Or under JJ as Caretaker when he spent more time in the opposition box and scored a few goals in League 1 and our form was excellent.

My opinion is, in the modern game your full backs need pace and Ben could get forward and be dangerous (Wembley legend) BUT it took him too long to get back ! 

No problem with letting Purrington or Washington go but replace them with more quality; as opposed to not replacing them !

The curse of injured cafc full backs happens at Charlton or when they leave. Purrington joins the long list.

• My Ipswich reserves  Motherwell supporting mate says he great , brilliant , smashing super , fandabeedozee 
    Cheer up mate. Why so krankee??  🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• To be honest if someone told me that in this window by the third game we would have got:

- a full back who can play both sides and had been playing in the championship this season.

- a striker who has scored double figure goals in the championship and league one in recent seasons.

- a left footed left back who has been playing in the Scottish premiership.

I’d say on paper that’s probably pretty solid for what you can get in January, whilst addressing the holes in our squad.

Manage to bring in one or two more of similar or better quality before the deadline, and overall it would have been a positive window in my opinion.
    Agreed. And having off-loaded MacGillivray and F-C if we can  do similar with Kirk, in particular, and Jayiesimi it will be a highly positive window!
  • A left footed left back, in Penney, for me is a much welcome addition. We now have an opportunity to see Sess in his natural RB position. I would also use Clare as a replacement for Morgan in midfield, alongside Dobbo and Fraser.
    The one thing I don't get is why some fans are moaning we didn't know about Penney, well why should we, we have no divine right to know everything immediately! Holden wanted to keep him under wraps until the team was announced...so what, if its allowed, I think that was a good idea!.
    I also agree that if we were under an embargo we would know, as the EFL publish the names of clubs who are nowadays.

Good post Red, what the signing of Penney and Bonne give us is firstly balance and secondly options in team selection and shape.
  • Bailey said:
    A left footed left back, in Penney, for me is a much welcome addition. We now have an opportunity to see Sess in his natural RB position. I would also use Clare as a replacement for Morgan in midfield, alongside Dobbo and Fraser.
    The one thing I don't get is why some fans are moaning we didn't know about Penney, well why should we, we have no divine right to know everything immediately! Holden wanted to keep him under wraps until the team was announced...so what, if its allowed, I think that was a good idea!.
    I also agree that if we were under an embargo we would know, as the EFL publish the names of clubs who are nowadays.

Good post Red, what the signing of Penney and Bonne give us is firstly balance and secondly options in team selection and shape.
    Worth including Kane in that if we don't RTS him. 

Allows Sess to go RB and Clare potentially to try to prove he can be a CM.
  • Redhenry said:
    Leuth said:
    I'm not unhappy Purrington isn't still with us. He offered little going forward (except when he decided to literally play striker) and defensively I felt he stood off his man a bit too much. He, Washington and Gilbey also gave me a certain self-pitying vibe which I can't quite fully explain. He'd have been preferable to Clayden, Clare or Chin in the position, for sure, but then we should never have had to play any of those at left-back
    Purrington was league 2 at best!

My opinion is, in the modern game your full backs need pace and Ben could get forward and be dangerous (Wembley legend) BUT it took him too long to get back ! 

That was exactly my issue with Purrington. He could be good in both penalty boxes, but didn't have the legs to do both.

We'd be attacking with Ben in a dangerous position at the back post. Then the attack breaks down and the opposition hit us on the counter, and Purrington would be nowhere to be seen defensively as he plodded back.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Bailey said:
    A left footed left back, in Penney, for me is a much welcome addition. We now have an opportunity to see Sess in his natural RB position. I would also use Clare as a replacement for Morgan in midfield, alongside Dobbo and Fraser.

The way things are going, I can see Clare still playing lots of games at RB, with Egbo and Kane injured, and Sess having his knee problems. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Bailey said:

The way things are going, I can see Clare still playing lots of games at RB, with Egbo and Kane injured, and Sess having his knee problems. 
    Let’s hope not 
  • edited January 2023
    Swisdom said:
    the figures in Salary Soort are only a guide and are definitely not gospel.  

I know of a player who was showing as earning £5000 a week last season and was actually on £600 a week.  Apply a pinch of salt

With your football network you will hear all the stories and will be ITK BUT that comes with responsibility  @Swisdom which you abide by and 👏for your Penney clue as it was obviously Done (unlike Edun) which another poster implied was done !

Last season I went to many matches at Youth, Kent league and just a dozen Cafc matches (as I'm Charlton till I die) and spoke to many scouts, coaches, agents, players, and Dad's of young players and wages vary so much.  A Kent league striker part timer on £500/600 a week while young professional 18 year olds in League 2 on much less while they are trying to prove their selves. 

I Know two 18 year olds who got moves to the Premier last season, one was low down in the football pyramid and goes from £150 a week plus his Dad is subsidising him, to 10k just weeks after nearly taking up an offer to go to an American university for a sports degree. Stronger since Premier sport science and coaches make sure he followers a bespoke program to step up.

Another kid gets a move to a Premier club, plays regular for the Premier Under 21's, starts on 12k with increases due if plays so many 1st team games BUT get taken out in training by an ex England International who doesn't like being skilled up by a young player and the lad is out for 4 months !

So from being one week away from making his debut in Premier, he is injured, the manager gets sacked and then the player is loaned abroad when he eventually gets fit.
    Premier debut remains just a dream.

I have actually meet agents who are good guys, hardly taking any money off 17 + 18 year olds on modest contracts; getting their payday further down the line. (Or not for the lads who don't make it)

Snakes and ladders being a pro footballer.
    Joe Aribo goes from playing more games for club and Countries than any other player in Europe when at Rangers to being on the bench mainly for Southampton.
    Affects Joe's love of playing football, not his bank balance. 

* Some agents are quintessential leeches but the rewards are so high if you get one 'star' 

• We keep getting random rumours that we are looking at defensive midfielders, which some worry about.  Maybe we are looking at carrying on playing 433, but with two solid blockers in central midfield.  This would free up the fullbacks to bomb on and allow the attacking players a bit more freedom.  Brazil used to play two defensive midfielders in the 90s, but they did have Cafu and Roberto Carlos as the attacking fullbacks.
  • cfgs said:
    We keep getting random rumours that we are looking at defensive midfielders, which some worry about.  Maybe we are looking at carrying on playing 433, but with two solid blockers in central midfield.  This would free up the fullbacks to bomb on and allow the attacking players a bit more freedom.  Brazil used to play two defensive midfielders in the 90s, but they did have Cafu and Roberto Carlos as the attacking fullbacks.
    That makes sense to me. In the game against Utd it would've made more sense to play Dobson + another DM behind Fraser rather than putting Morgan in there. Likewise at other tough away games like Bolton.