Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stadium announcements, 'hate' etc

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Thanks @clive

With the things going on at the club, I don't suppose we have a clue as to whether these incidents have stopped. But it does put it into context. 

• Options
    clive said:
    rananegra said:
    A while back I posted that someone in the know on here had said that the announcements were in response to actual incidents that had happened at The Valley either at the end of last season or this. Did I imagine that? Because I think if there have been incidents of hate we should all be concerned and while I don't think the announcements are particularly likely to solve things, ignoring it is an even worse option. 

The announcement is very specifically in response to some incidents that took place earlier in the season. 
    Unfortunately, there has been a sudden growth in racist/sexist/homophobic abuse since the return of fans. This has ranged from abuse aimed at players, as well as staff and even an agency photographer who received some pretty horrific abuse during the first two home games of the season and as a result, she hasn't returned. 
    So it's not about grassing up someone who's being a bit sweary towards an opposition player, it's about stamping out the kind of unacceptable abuse which has reared its ugly head more recently. 
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/93245/abuse-messages-at-charlton/p1
    Yeah. Thanks for the context @clive

Too many comments in this thread don't seem to be taking thay as their starting point: 

"I come to the football to relax, not be lectured"  argument seems to ignore the negative experiences and abuse of others 

"It's just virtue signalling/PC gawn maaaahd" seems to ignore that the ckub aren't just doing this for appearances sake 

That said, I can still see a reasonable argument for stopping the announcements during the match...it just needs to be put more reasonably and sensitively than those points and acknowledge that we need to stop people being abused while at The Valley...
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    I'm allowed to hate Millwall if I want to, always have and always will !

As for these " Nanny State" announcements, they are yet another example of the woke culture that has pervaded our club in recent years.

Us continuing to kneel, before our upright opponents, just prior to battle commencing, is a horrible look, that likely gives our opponents a phycological advantage.
    It also causes division amongst fans (why allienate half the fan base)?

As mentioned above, kneeling has done nothing to solve racism, and it was never likely to. Racism has never even been a major issue at our club!
    It's time for our team to stand up and fight like men, rather than rolling over and having our tummies ticked, as we once again did at Burton.
    Bang on the money mate...as usual.
    Shaking my head at both these posts.

Ask Ryan Inniss or Sean Clare what they think about taking the knee then eh? Giving the opposition an advantage lol

I have mixed race kids, so I know what it means, but I see the pros and cons. But WE do it and that's what WE do as a TEAM.

Racism has never been a problem at Charlton but taking the knee alienates half our fans? Really? FFS.

Edit. Kneeling won't solve racism, of course it won't, but it HIGHLIGHTS the inequality 
    Do you ever see a boxer kneeling at their opponents feet? No, they stand tall, and try to look each other in straight the eyes, even if one is six inches shorter than the other. Why? Because psychologically you do not want your opponent looking down at you.

A worse example you could not possibly have chosen !
    The Haka is a dance performed in order to express strength, aggression, and in order to intimate the opposition in an attempt to gain an advantage.

Our "taking the knee" is a passive, half hearted, subservient act, that is frankly laughable, they can't stand up quickly enough!
    It's like "ok, we'll do it because we've been told that we have to", but in reality, they just want to concentrate on starting the game.

Until not very long ago it used to include a throat slitting bit
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    I'm allowed to hate Millwall if I want to, always have and always will !

As for these " Nanny State" announcements, they are yet another example of the woke culture that has pervaded our club in recent years.

Us continuing to kneel, before our upright opponents, just prior to battle commencing, is a horrible look, that likely gives our opponents a phycological advantage.
    It also causes division amongst fans (why allienate half the fan base)?

As mentioned above, kneeling has done nothing to solve racism, and it was never likely to. Racism has never even been a major issue at our club!
    It's time for our team to stand up and fight like men, rather than rolling over and having our tummies ticked, as we once again did at Burton.
    Bang on the money mate...as usual.
    Shaking my head at both these posts.

Ask Ryan Inniss or Sean Clare what they think about taking the knee then eh? Giving the opposition an advantage lol

I have mixed race kids, so I know what it means, but I see the pros and cons. But WE do it and that's what WE do as a TEAM.

Racism has never been a problem at Charlton but taking the knee alienates half our fans? Really? FFS.

Edit. Kneeling won't solve racism, of course it won't, but it HIGHLIGHTS the inequality 
    Do you ever see a boxer kneeling at their opponents feet? No, they stand tall, and try to look each other in straight the eyes, even if one is six inches shorter than the other. Why? Because psychologically you do not want your opponent looking down at you.

Wankers.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Pleasingly, no announcements yesterday. Has the message got through? The text number was up on the board for anybody who needed it.

We could all concentrate on how crap our team is with no distractions.
    Look May it continue. The no announcements, not the crap football 
  • Options
    I heard someone in the row in front of me at the MK Dons game offer their friend a polo mint. Their friend said "I HATE polos, no thanks". Should I have texted the Hate #? Or does the "hate" only apply to a select.few things on a list? 

To say out loud "the mint with the hole" sounds wrong in 2022, and the person should be ejaculated from the stadium.