Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stadium announcements, 'hate' etc

Comments

• shirty5 said:
    Didn’t they use to do a stadium announcement about exiting via Harvey Gardens back in the days when we had decent crowds?  Don’t remember anyone spitting feathers at that info, cos that’s all it is, info.  
    Not 4 times a game though was it 
    Are they doing the current one four times?  I hear it twice?  (Although I leave early a lot cos of how dire we are)
    The smoking one and the Text one. Which you already know about.

If they need to read out this info. Cos that’s what it is, then do it at halftime. 
  • shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    Didn’t they use to do a stadium announcement about exiting via Harvey Gardens back in the days when we had decent crowds?  Don’t remember anyone spitting feathers at that info, cos that’s all it is, info.  
    Are they doing the current one four times?  I hear it twice?  (Although I leave early a lot cos of how dire we are)

If they need to read out this info. Cos that’s what it is, then do it at halftime. 
    The smoking one, forgot about that, yet no one seems to oppose that in great numbers..

Well I guess at half time the idea is we’re all getting beers and hot dogs so it won’t reach the audience, so pretty pointless doing it then.
  • shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:

The smoking one, forgot about that, yet no one seems to oppose that in great numbers..

Well I guess at half time the idea is we’re all getting beers and hot dogs so it won’t reach the audience, so pretty pointless doing it then.
    It can be played on the concourses at halftime. They would have to do that if Inspector Sands has left the ground or if they needed everyone to leave the ground. It can be done 
  • shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:

It can be played on the concourses at halftime. They would have to do that if Inspector Sands has left the ground or if they needed everyone to leave the ground. It can be done 
    I guess so, but I’d still argue it reaches a lot more people during the game when we’re in the same place, you’re hearing nothing in the NL concourse at half time I can tell you that much it’s about as noisy as it gets.  
  • edited November 2022
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:

I guess so, but I’d still argue it reaches a lot more people during the game when we’re in the same place, you’re hearing nothing in the NL concourse at half time I can tell you that much it’s about as noisy as it gets.  
    Does the EFL require all clubs to read it out during a game? As already stated on this thread by someone who has done the majority of away games this season, it has not been heard at those venues 

• shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:

Does the EFL require all clubs to read it out during a game? As already stated on this thread by someone who has done the majority of away games this season, it has not been heard at those venues 

I have no idea but do not see the relevance, if the club wanna give some information out during the game and others don’t, it makes no odds to me.  
  • The announcements are annoying because they are announcing the same thing every game during an event that is supposed to be entertainment/escapism.

I couldn't care less if it's about smoking, swearing, sitting down, abuse, ticket offers, the next home game or the price of fish.

I no more want continual announcements at The Valley, than I would at a gig, cricket, tennis, cinema, theatre, restaurants etc. 
    Continual?  I make the “hate” one approx 15 seconds x2 so 30 seconds.  The smoking one 10 tops?  So in total 50 seconds out of a possible 5,400 (plus injury time).  
  • Southbank said:
    The announcements are annoying because they are announcing the same thing every game during an event that is supposed to be entertainment/escapism.

I couldn't care less if it's about smoking, swearing, sitting down, abuse, ticket offers, the next home game or the price of fish.

I no more want continual announcements at The Valley, than I would at a gig, cricket, tennis, cinema, theatre, restaurants etc. 
    Continual?  I make the “hate” one approx 15 seconds x2 so 30 seconds.  The smoking one 10 tops?  So in total 50 seconds out of a possible 5,400 (plus injury time).  
    It is not the time it takes, it is the thing itself which is the problem . Other clubs don't do it. Other forms of sport and entertainment don't do it. I am paying to be involved in a football match, not a public virtue lesson.

Just stop it.
    It’s not a virtue lesson, it’s basic information.  

Just ignore it.
  • Sponsored links:

• The announcements are annoying because they are announcing the same thing every game during an event that is supposed to be entertainment/escapism.

It would be incredibly annoying if they routinely made announcements like this during a film at the cinema!

But I prefer the staff in a restaurant to take the knee before they serve my meal.
  • Pointless doing the smoking one at half time as all the smokers are having a fag in the bogs and wouldn't be able to hear it.
  • The most pointless of pointless things is the no smoking sign in the NL toilets because you can’t see it through the cloud of smoke.  
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Southbank said:
    There are some good and some bad reasons for opposing taking the knee (all have been well aired before so no need to run through them).
    But of one thing I am sure, 'preaching' while  a football match is going on will address or change neither.
    I am one individual whose opinion differs.
    There are no good reasons for opposing taking the knee.
    Just because you agree with the aim, it doesn't mean you agree with the action.

After all the PL has stopped the taking the knee, other than for brief periods of the season, as it was achieving very little and had just become part of the furniture. 

And is there a shred of evidence that taking the knee has lessened racial abuse of footballers on social media, which is where is predominantly happens?
    If you agree with the aim, but disagree with the action (of taking the knee) why would anybody bother to boo it? It is over in seconds.
    People don’t boo the furniture.
    Do people at Charlton ever boo taking of the knee? I certainly don't hear it. If thast's true it rasther defeats your argument for clapping it. 
  • edited November 2022
    shirty5 said:
    twice for hate and twice for not smoking. 2 +2 =4 nanny state announcements will spoil the experience.
  • If it annoys some fans so much why don’t they just ignore it?

Honestly, we have more problems at the club than announcement’s about hate etc. I appreciate things like this as we need to stamp out discrimination towards other people. It needs to happen during the game as that’s when everyone will sit down.
  • redman said:
    shirty5 said:
    twice for hate and twice for not smoking. 2 +2 =4 nanny state announcements will spoil the experience.
    Only thing spoiling my experience is the gaping hole we give to opposing players to shoot from the edge of the box.  

Information announced for a few seconds makes no difference to me.  
  • Bystander suggestion time.

Those that dislike the 'hate' announcements can try their best to ignore them, and those that are upset at those that dislike the hate announcements can ignore them discussing it. Especially if you're not bothered by any of it.

Those that dislike the 'hate' announcements can try their best to ignore them, and those that are upset at those that dislike the hate announcements can ignore them discussing it. Especially if you're not bothered by any of it.
    Or we could just carry on discussing in the good spirited manner that we are.  No one’s biting heads off.
  • edited November 2022
    Bystander suggestion time.

Or we could just carry on discussing in the good spirited manner that we are.  No one’s biting heads off.
    Absolutely. It was just a suggestion that may work for all instead of people being upset and offended. Words that have been used to describe some people's reactions in this very thread. Genuinely makes no difference to me, though, so I'll bid a hasty retreat.
  • Sponsored links:

Absolutely. It was just a suggestion that may work for all instead of people being upset and offended. Words that have been used to describe some people's reactions in this very thread. Genuinely makes no difference to me, though, so I'll bid a hasty retreat.
    Fair do’s, I’ll admit it makes no difference to me either, if we were 6th in the championship i probably wouldn’t be here rambling on tbf!
  • edited November 2022
    redman said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Southbank said:
    There are some good and some bad reasons for opposing taking the knee (all have been well aired before so no need to run through them).
    But of one thing I am sure, 'preaching' while  a football match is going on will address or change neither.

After all the PL has stopped the taking the knee, other than for brief periods of the season, as it was achieving very little and had just become part of the furniture. 

And is there a shred of evidence that taking the knee has lessened racial abuse of footballers on social media, which is where is predominantly happens?
    If you agree with the aim, but disagree with the action (of taking the knee) why would anybody bother to boo it? It is over in seconds.
    Do people at Charlton ever boo taking of the knee? I certainly don't hear it. If thast's true it rasther defeats your argument for clapping it. 
    Were you at Stevenage? I was, and plenty of our fans there booed taking the knee.
  • I put my finger in my ears and say ting a ling a loo.
  • redman said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Southbank said:

Yes they do! Most games it has been drowned out by clapping, but it is certainly there. Had a group behind me at a recent game.
  • redman said:
    shirty5 said:
    Only thing spoiling my experience is the gaping hole we give to opposing players to shoot from the edge of the box.  

You've made it quite clear it doesn't make a difference to you. However if you reflect on this thread it does to the majority
  • Kap10 said:
    redman said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Southbank said:

Yes they do! Most games it has been drowned out by clapping, but it is certainly there. Had a group behind me at a recent game.
    ok fair enough, I haven't heard any but if you have fair enough. 
    be interesting to ask if the boing is because they are rascist, or just against the taking of the knee repeatedly 
  • I'm allowed to hate Millwall if I want to, always have and always will !

As for these " Nanny State" announcements, they are yet another example of the woke culture that has pervaded our club in recent years.

Us continuing to kneel, before our upright opponents, just prior to battle commencing, is a horrible look, that likely gives our opponents a phycological advantage.
    It also causes division amongst fans (why allienate half the fan base)?

As mentioned above, kneeling has done nothing to solve racism, and it was never likely to. Racism has never even been a major issue at our club!
    It's time for our team to stand up and fight like men, rather than rolling over and having our tummies ticked, as we once again did at Burton.
    I’d say our players making the strong decision, all sticking together and united in support of a movement to end racism is better psychologically for us than it is for the opposition. Especially for our players who may have experienced racism in their past it’s probably important to them that their team mates are united in sticking by them if they want to take the knee before the game. 

It’s not half the fan base, thankfully it’s a small minority and those applauding massively outweigh those booing 
  • redman said:
    redman said:
    shirty5 said:

You've made it quite clear it doesn't make a difference to you. However if you reflect on this thread it does to the majority
    Yes and that’s fine, I’m just trying to understand why so many are aggy over it.  Seeing things like “nanny state” are just silly because it’s a piece of information, it’s not telling you to look both ways when you cross the road or vote Green Party.  

Part of me is still convinced, as I said to BBW earlier, that the football being served up is the reason for the moaning, I don’t think half of us would be here if we were 6th in the championship moaning about a couple of 10 second announcements. 
  • There is something to be said in the value of repetition.
    The players are steadfast in their action, and have been consistent.
    It is a very brief moment, a humble signal.

Continual as in it happens every game.