Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stadium announcements, 'hate' etc

Comments

• addick19 said:
    Just more 'tick box' bollox. Report abuse? It's a football match, not a game of whist!! Yeah, it's annoying and pointless so just try and ignore it. Like the bending of the knee- gradually disappearing thank the Lord. Not sure why we're still doing it - or why fans actually applaud it! Still, if it makes you feel good...
    If somebody is on the receiving end of abuse at the Valley for e.g. their race or gender... are... you OK with that? 

Do you think we should do away with any support mechanisms for people on the receiving end? Let abusers go unchallenged? 
  • addick19 said:
    Just more 'tick box' bollox. Report abuse? It's a football match, not a game of whist!! Yeah, it's annoying and pointless so just try and ignore it. Like the bending of the knee- gradually disappearing thank the Lord. Not sure why we're still doing it - or why fans actually applaud it! Still, if it makes you feel good...
    It does but if people did not boo it, I would be less likely to applaud it! 

Haters and racists gonna hate!
  • Thank god Brian is reminding me not to be a massive racist every 15 mins. 
  • If those patronising, nannying, virtue-signalling announcements were abolished, could we hail The Bonfire of the Inanities?

• If those patronising, nannying, virtue-signalling announcements were abolished, could we hail The Bonfire of the Inanities?

Brian Cole as Savonarola?

Whose decision IS it to play them, anyway?
  • To get away from the tedium I reckon those announcements would have a bit of edge if they were always live, and the wording was re-worked every time but the core message the same. Sometimes in the form of poetry or rhyme, or rap (is that the right term, rap?).
    There could be female voices used. Or to up the entertainment value different accents could be employed, perhaps going for the accent predominantly associated with our opponents on the day.
    Then there might be sponsorship opportunities 'Today's don't smoke in the bogs announcement is proudly sponsored by Febreze' or something, could be an earner.

• I heard someone in the row in front of me at the MK Dons game offer their friend a polo mint. Their friend said "I HATE polos, no thanks". Should I have texted the Hate #? Or does the "hate" only apply to a select.few things on a list? 
  • edited November 2022
    I heard someone in the row in front of me at the MK Dons game offer their friend a polo mint. Their friend said "I HATE polos, no thanks". Should I have texted the Hate #? Or does the "hate" only apply to a select.few things on a list? 
    Have you spotted the HOLE in their arguement?
  • edited November 2022
    I heard someone in the row in front of me at the MK Dons game offer their friend a polo mint. Their friend said "I HATE polos, no thanks". Should I have texted the Hate #? Or does the "hate" only apply to a select.few things on a list? 
    Probably not about your choice of mint mate, more along the lines of racism and homophobia I reckon.  
  • addick19 said:
    Applauding the taking of the knee has been a direct response to the booing and heckling emanating from the gobs of the (mercifully few*) bigots and halfwits who see fit to air their prejudice and ignorance of the gesture.  Edifying to note that recently the clapping is much louder than the braying.
    The recorded preaching remains patently necessary while the braying and the brayers persist.
    *any of course is too many and shaming
  • Sponsored links:

• There are some good and some bad reasons for opposing taking the knee (all have been well aired before so no need to run through them).
    But of one thing I am sure, 'preaching' while  a football match is going on will address or change neither.
  • Southbank said:
    There are some good and some bad reasons for opposing taking the knee (all have been well aired before so no need to run through them).
    But of one thing I am sure, 'preaching' while  a football match is going on will address or change neither.
    Neither what?
  • People's good or bad reasons for opposing it.
  • announcements do not matter as you cannot hear them in the North Lower.
  • When these announcements started, wasn't there a comment from someone in the know that they were because there HAD been abuse? I don't know the specifics but I remember reading it on here.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    Southbank said:
    There are some good and some bad reasons for opposing taking the knee (all have been well aired before so no need to run through them).
    I am one individual whose opinion differs.
    There are no good reasons for opposing taking the knee.
    Just because you agree with the aim, it doesn't mean you agree with the action.

After all the PL has stopped the taking the knee, other than for brief periods of the season, as it was achieving very little and had just become part of the furniture. 

And is there a shred of evidence that taking the knee has lessened racial abuse of footballers on social media, which is where is predominantly happens

Excellent post. 
  • edited November 2022
    I'm allowed to hate Millwall if I want to, always have and always will !

As for these " Nanny State" announcements, they are yet another example of the woke culture that has pervaded our club in recent years.

Us continuing to kneel, before our upright opponents, just prior to battle commencing, is a horrible look, that likely gives our opponents a phycological advantage.
    It also causes division amongst fans (why allienate half the fan base)?

As mentioned above, kneeling has done nothing to solve racism, and it was never likely to. Racism has never even been a major issue at our club!
    It's time for our team to stand up and fight like men, rather than rolling over and having our tummies ticked, as we once again did at Burton.
    The millwall hate must stop after their 400 years of slavery.

Amazing how Man City won the league the last two years with all that physiological disadvantage..
  • Southbank said:
    People's good or bad reasons for opposing it.
    What are the good reasons for opposing anti racism?
  • edited November 2022
    Rob said:
    Southbank said:
    People's good or bad reasons for opposing it.
    What are the good reasons for opposing anti racism?
    I took it that the original comment wasn’t in reference to opposing anti racism but in reference to opposing taking the knee. Two entirely different things to a lot of people. 
    That’s how I took it, except that the kneelers (PFA and the players) said it is all about opposing racism.  
  • seth plum said:
    Southbank said:
    I am one individual whose opinion differs.
    There are no good reasons for opposing taking the knee.
    Just because you agree with the aim, it doesn't mean you agree with the action.

After all the PL has stopped the taking the knee, other than for brief periods of the season, as it was achieving very little and had just become part of the furniture. 

And is there a shred of evidence that taking the knee has lessened racial abuse of footballers on social media, which is where is predominantly happens?
    If you agree with the aim, but disagree with the action (of taking the knee) why would anybody bother to boo it? It is over in seconds.
    People don’t boo the furniture.
  • Didn’t they use to do a stadium announcement about exiting via Harvey Gardens back in the days when we had decent crowds?  Don’t remember anyone spitting feathers at that info, cos that’s all it is, info.  
  • Didn’t they use to do a stadium announcement about exiting via Harvey Gardens back in the days when we had decent crowds?  Don’t remember anyone spitting feathers at that info, cos that’s all it is, info.  
    Not 4 times a game though was it 
  • shirty5 said:
    Didn’t they use to do a stadium announcement about exiting via Harvey Gardens back in the days when we had decent crowds?  Don’t remember anyone spitting feathers at that info, cos that’s all it is, info.  
    Not 4 times a game though was it 
    Are they doing the current one four times?  I hear it twice?  (Although I leave early a lot cos of how dire we are)