Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stadium announcements, 'hate' etc

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Reckon Brian Cole's got the voice for it perfect tbh, just the right amount of tutting condescension. Usually gets broadcast just when everyone would be swearing at a shit ball out of play or something too. All part of the glorious theatre 
    He's got the perfect voice to advertise Vicks. Should have stayed gone.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    It's extremely annoying and is undoubtedly a dampener on any atmosphere. 
    It's the announcing that's so off putting more than the message.
    It would be just as annoying if they started audio adverts in the middle of the game, or "make sure you get a pie or pint at half time".
    It's the intrusion that is annoying not the message.
    It is just plain rude. 
    Nobody enjoys being interrupted when they are doing something:- talking, reading, watching etc.
    It is only expectable if the subject is of overriding importance and urgent, and this message isn’t, but we all stop to listen as we assume it must be. The message is so long winded as well (obviously written by a working group). 
    Text “hate” also seems so selective. Maybe text “twat” so we can include all unacceptable behaviour and not just those directed at some selective minority groups.
    A more appropriate time to deliver a message is before the match starts and at half time welcoming everyone to the Valley, hoping they enjoy the day, and saying if they witness unacceptable behaviour text….etc.
    The other day I was interrupted by 1000s chanting “come on charlton” during a match, bloody rude it was.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    While I'm always wary of middle aged/elderly white men complaining about actions being done to protect/improve experiences of those who may be getting hate for being e.g. non white or female, this thread has persuaded me that the announcements need looking at 

The key point really is the interruption of the core experience that everyone is there for. Is it necessary to achieve the end it sets out to? Probably not. Announcing before match, half time etc and having visual reminders of the number would probably do the job, without the mental interruption of the escapism that we enjoy at the football

This is not "virtue signalling".... and I'd wager those who are saying it is are the same ones who reckon we dont have a problem with racism and sexism in society - Any move to change this Valley procedure would do well to distance itself from such views 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    If they want to carry on doing them because they think it’s important and effective (who knows, is it, I wonder how many people text in each match?) then do them before the game, and at half time, not during the last hour or a break in play as it really kills what atmosphere we’ve got.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
  • Options
    Everything about it is a pain in the backside from the delivery of it all, to the need to constantly read it out 4 times a game

Like the ongoing strikes and protests going on in this country. The more it happens, the lack of sympathy and empathy is shown towards it. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southbank said:
    Part of the reason I have always liked football is as an escape from normal life. At least 90 minutes when you can forget about everything else and focus on how terrible/brilliant your team is. As with other
     forms of entertainment it involves a suspension of disbelief. When we think about it we know supporting a football team and feeling emotion about it is pretty dumb. But we suspend our disbelief in order to feel part of something outside ourselves. These lectures burst that bubble. 

We do it as a form of escapism like cinema or the theatre. Imagine you were at the pictures and during the middle of the film between dramatic scenes you get a public service lecture. It is going a long way to ruining the experience for me and I have noticed recently  more people around me reacting against it too.
    Its a football match not a lecture about public virtue.
    Just stop it.
    I think unless it stops we should all start texting the number to say that we hate the announcements.
    Counterpoint: people go to football to escape, yes, but they go as much to hate as to love! My village against your village, boo the oppo, jeer the ref, cheer when they shoot miles wide. These announcements? I mean I can feel the eyes of everyone in the stadium rolling when they're read out, and that amuses me. It's pantomime. Part of the escapism almost! It's win-win - either you hate the announcement and get to feel high and mighty about the nanny state, or you think the announcement is a cracking idea, so you get to feel all cheerful that abuse - of any kind - can be dealt with. And as I said, there's just enough understated irony in the way Brian Cole reads it out to turn it from jobsworth dullardry into something one can choose to be entertained by. Maybe ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    I went to the Brentford v Gillingham game on Tuesday, an announcement was made that the game would be delayed for 15 minutes due to congestion caused by problems with the trains.
    A further message came over that the game would then be delayed for another five minutes.  I do not know what difference that made.
    Errrrrrm 5 minutes Elfie.
  • Options
    I think we should just try to drown out the announcement with a rousing rendition of 'We hate Palace' or even 'Build a Bonfire'. Would 'you can stick your f***ING text message up your arse' be too much to ask?

At least try my first suggestion against Brighton - I reckon the message would certainly be inaudible.
  • Options
    The other reason for stopping I suspect, is that there is no evidence of it actually making any difference. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    why not have the text hate ones dotted around the pitch facing the crowd

only need a a few along each side of the ground then if anyone wants to report something they are easily visible
    Better than the boards adverting our cost cutting partners!

Some one should use the Hate text about some of the refs we have had.
  • Options
    Seems that singing the incest song is acceptable.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Seems that singing the incest song is acceptable.
    Did you report it?
  • Options
    While I'm always wary of middle aged/elderly white men complaining about actions being done to protect/improve experiences of those who may be getting hate for being e.g. non white or female, this thread has persuaded me that the announcements need looking at 

This seems quite hateful to middle aged and elderly white men. Is that somehow acceptable?
    I assume you aren't being serious

Hateful how? And btw... I'm a middle aged white man
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southbank said:

The key point really is the interruption of the core experience that everyone is there for. Is it necessary to achieve the end it sets out to? Probably not. Announcing before match, half time etc and having visual reminders of the number would probably do the job, without the mental interruption of the escapism that we enjoy at the football

This is not "virtue signalling".... and I'd wager those who are saying it is are the same ones who reckon we dont have a problem with racism and sexism in society - Any move to change this Valley procedure would do well to distance itself from such views 
    I raised the issue of virtue signalling. I do believe there is racism and sexism in society. I have actively campaigned against these things for most of my life. There is also economic exploitation, poverty, war, disease, discrimination against the old, abuse of the young, lack of fairness in many ways and many other wrongs.
    Is the middle of a football match the place to raise these issues? The middle of a play, a film or any other form of entertainment? Or should we be allowed to enjoy entertaiment as a brief respite from the assorted ills of the world?
    I'd lose my wager then :)

Perhaps we have different concepts of what virtue signalling is?

I perceive the club's motivation for making the announcements as being genuinely to encourage an environment that feels safer and more comfortable for people who may be abused due to e.g. race or gender, which, sadly, does still happen

Do you think they are making the announcements to just make the club look better/like they are doing something without a genuine desire to "help"?  Am I mis-perceiving what you mean by virtue signalling, perhaps?
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Southbank said:

I raised the issue of virtue signalling. I do believe there is racism and sexism in society. I have actively campaigned against these things for most of my life. There is also economic exploitation, poverty, war, disease, discrimination against the old, abuse of the young, lack of fairness in many ways and many other wrongs.
    Is the middle of a football match the place to raise these issues? The middle of a play, a film or any other form of entertainment? Or should we be allowed to enjoy entertaiment as a brief respite from the assorted ills of the world?
    It’s not raising a broader issue, it’s just information on how you can report something whilst at the football match.  

I managed to still enjoy the entertainment and hear a 7 second message, it affected me in no way shape or form.  I think we’ve all gone a bit Karen on this, it’s really not an issue for me.
  • Options
    WTF is Karen?
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    WTF is Karen?
    Middle class complainer.
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    WTF is Karen?
    Middle class complainer.
    No she played Olive in the On the Buses
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    WTF is Karen?
    A tribe of around 5 million people living in SE Myanmar and N Thailand.
    Famous for moaning about things that really don't matter.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    R0TW said:
    WTF is Karen?
    A tribe of around 5 million people living in SE Myanmar and N Thailand.
    Famous for moaning about things that really don't matter.
    A better explanation than mine.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

I perceive the club's motivation for making the announcements as being genuinely to encourage an environment that feels safer and more comfortable for people who may be abused due to e.g. race or gender, which, sadly, does still happen

Do you think they are making the announcements to just make the club look better/like they are doing something without a genuine desire to "help"?  Am I mis-perceiving what you mean by virtue signalling, perhaps?
    There is a difference between having it on the scoreboard and in the programme or on boards around the ground on the one hand, and announcing things during the game on the other.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:

There is a difference between having it on the scoreboard and in the programme or on boards around the ground on the one hand, and announcing things during the game on the other.
    Sure... but I was referring to your labelling the club's efforts as virtue signalling 

In any case, looking at yesterday's posts again, I see that we agree on injustices in society and the need to act, and also that interrupting the escapism of football may not be a good way to help change