Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Last time Australia were in a World Cup quarter final they lost 3-1 to Sweden. Australia’s goalscorer was a 20 year old Ellyse Perry.

12 years later she’s one of the greatest female cricketers ever.

….if you thought Steve Smith’s conversion from spinner to top batsman was an unlikely story…
  • Options
    I would make Australia favourites but there won't be much between the sides and it is probably a better game for us than France.
  • Options
    Last time Australia were in a World Cup quarter final they lost 3-1 to Sweden. Australia’s goalscorer was a 20 year old Ellyse Perry.

12 years later she’s one of the greatest female cricketers ever.

….if you thought Steve Smith’s conversion from spinner to top batsman was an unlikely story…

Not a lot of people know that !
    👏 Great research Callum.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Spain v Sweden
    Australia v England

Sweden aren't getting injuries and are a very together squad and sublime at set pieces.
    Spain are the best passes and possession team but behind the scenes I'm not convinced.
    Sweden shade it but a 50/50 match.

England never know when they are beaten but have weaknesses when the ball gets behind Bronze and Daley and the Aussie coach will attempt to exploit the space when the two wing backs are upfield. 

How much have each side got left in the tank may decide the outcome. Since Australia are the only team to beat England in 35 matches and will have 75K in the stadium and thousands outside I tend to favour the Matildas.

They home crowd  gave Cathy Freeman wings when she won the Olympic gold medal in the 400m in the 2000 games in Sydney.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Apart from against China we do seem to be struggling to create. It was a similar story yesterday where Columbia errors were the reason for our goals and we didn't fashion loads of chances. I think the issue may be that we didn't feel China could hurt us so played higher but if that is the case, I think Australia can definitely hurt us in transition. Maybe our best bet is to keep it tight and hope for something, which has a decent enough chance of working but doesn't make us favourites.

Toone doesn't look the same player to me as in the Euros. We may be better playing Zelem instead although we have lost a bit of power from not having James and maybe putting Beth England in would add a bit of that accepting we may lose some finesse. But on the other side of the coin, it might enable us to mix it up a bit if we find it tough to pass through them.

I think our best chance is that we have Millie Bright and Carter is doing a decent enough job playing with her. They won't make it easy for Australia.
  • Options

• Options
    Been barely a mention of the World Cup via the NRL AFL dominated media here. Just 15 of 64 games shown on tv. Englands game against Columbia was not shown. 

Suddenly in a typical Australian way it's plastered  all over the tv and newspapers. That saying ' only sing when you're winning' applies throughout this country. For that alone I hope we stuff them, but I fear that against the odds having seen us play. 
  • Options
    France was conquered apparently.. not via a penalty shoot out. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Watching the Australia v France game, I thought France were the better team but Australia are hard to beat. We are proving hard to beat so the game looks like being close and could go to penalties. If I was an international manager, there are two defenders I would want above all others, Bright and Reynard. Well we have Bright and I think she is our most valuable player and we have a few contenders. Our defence is probably as good as any's which is our strength.
  • Options
    France should have won in normal time, I’m not as concerned about the Aussie as I would have been about France. 

They’ve hardly been spectacular through the tournament, nearly went out in the group, we’ve been effective all the way through 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Major mistake on the BBC when they showed the England team photos with the names of the Swedish and then Spanish team. 

Gabby, Alex, Jonas and Fara obviously didn't see the screen as nothing was said 🤦🏼‍♀️
  • Options
    If Spain find their A game then they should win but Sweden keep knocking out favoured teams in USA and Japan.

A good match up and 50/50.
  • Options
    This hasn't been very good
  • Options
    Bit scrappy so far
  • Options
    Australia are somehow the best team left, would have them favourites. Would have England favourites if they beat Australia, of course
  • Options
    I’ve got the game to go to pens at 4/1.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Could easily happen. Spain seem to lack a cutting edge against a decent defence and Sweden don't seem  to have too many goals in them but are well organised. I had a disagreement with some a while back which I think I have been proven right on on making the goals smaller in the women's game. I thought it would be a mistake because the standard of keeping and defending was poor but it was obvious it would improve with the growth of the game. Imagine scorelines now with smaller goals!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I thought it had 0-0 written all over it but couldn’t bring myself to do it.
  • Options
    Such a poor quality game that I can see it being settled by a defensive howler or an OG.
  • Options
    The more I watch this, the less I root for Spain, they've been dreck
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Paralluelo has been by far their best player since coming on, she deserves that 
  • Options
    But Sweden deserve that! 
  • Options
    keeper has to save that
  • Options
    Last 10 mins almost makes up for the first 80. Thought the keeper might have pushed that onto the bar
  • Options
    That's terrrrible keeping haha
  • Options
    80 minutes of disappointment and now 10 minutes of excitement and at last some quality.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Leuth said:
    That's terrrrible keeping haha

Chelsea's reserve keeper Musovic had had a great tournament and that is a shame.  
    Great strike and Spain do find some quality when needed.
    Super sub Athlete Paralluelo looks a talent at 19.
  • Options
    Another goalkeeping howler. 
  • Options
    If Spain find their A game then they should win but Sweden keep knocking out favoured teams in USA and Japan.

A good match up and 50/50.

Spain only had their B game but with some quality beat the Swedes who had a great tournament but had already hit top gear against Japan.