Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• edited November 2022
    It wasn’t a footballing spectacle but the tempo was excellent. I enjoyed it myself.

Now it actually feels like the World Cup is underway. I’m actually looking forward to waking up at 3:30am tomorrow to watch Argentina v Saudi Arabia of all teams..!
    Remember when Argentina score 4 or 5 that no one in the tournament is worse than Iran. Wibble wibble Southgate wibble 😜 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Interesting ... penalty ...

Bale to stuff it up?
    Hmm. Maybe not.

As usual, the Welsh golf bag consists of the 1 Wood (Bale) and nothing else.
    You have to hand it to him though - he consistently turns a team that would probably be mid-table in the championship (of lower) into one that can compete at a much higher level. I get why he isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he is a proper talisman of a type that England have rarely, if ever, produced.
    I can't think of any other British player who has individually done so much for his national side. Indeed struggling to think of any British sports star in any team sport who's been so dominant.
    I am not sure there have been the circumstances to allow it.  If Rooney had the luxury of not playing club football after he was 28...

Someone like Giggs 100% gave club before country.
    Which is why I said British not English to cover all the home nations, and indeed in other sports like rugby and cricket
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Bale to stuff it up?
    Hmm. Maybe not.

You have to hand it to him though - he consistently turns a team that would probably be mid-table in the championship (of lower) into one that can compete at a much higher level. I get why he isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he is a proper talisman of a type that England have rarely, if ever, produced.
    I can't think of any other British player who has individually done so much for his national side. Indeed struggling to think of any British sports star in any team sport who's been so dominant.
    I am not sure there have been the circumstances to allow it.  If Rooney had the luxury of not playing club football after he was 28...

I think the impressive thing is how often he has delivered for them in the big game as at the big moments though. That goes back to when he was starting regularly for Spurs and Real Madrid so it's not just about having a low intensity club career.
    I also think there is a memory bias as well.

England win a lot more games than Wales.  How many winning goals for England has Kane, for example, scored for England compared to Bale?

Bale's goals per game record for Wales isn't much better than Sterling's for England.

You remember them more 
    Sterling is surrounded by far better players though, ditto Kane, and in teams which will win lots more games, hence they will both get loads more chances
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Bale to stuff it up?
    Hmm. Maybe not.

I think the impressive thing is how often he has delivered for them in the big game as at the big moments though. That goes back to when he was starting regularly for Spurs and Real Madrid so it's not just about having a low intensity club career.
    I also think there is a memory bias as well.

England win a lot more games than Wales.  How many winning goals for England has Kane, for example, scored for England compared to Bale?

Bale's goals per game record for Wales isn't much better than Sterling's for England.

You remember them more 
    Sterling is surrounded by far better players though, ditto Kane, and in teams which will win lots more games, hence they will both get loads more chances
    But the things that Bale has done for Wales wouldn't be remembered if he had done them for England in the same way.

It's more comparable to Beckham scoring the goals against Greece, Argentina and Ecuador.  The difference is they were mainly games you would expect England to get a result.

I don't think you could get an English version of Bale, however good that player was.  Even if we had the next Messi or Ronaldo we would still have other players that are close to that level.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    It wasn’t a footballing spectacle but the tempo was excellent. I enjoyed it myself.

Now it actually feels like the World Cup is underway. I’m actually looking forward to waking up at 3:30am tomorrow to watch Argentina v Saudi Arabia of all teams..!
    Remember when Argentina score 4 or 5 that no one in the tournament is worse than Iran. Wibble wibble Southgate wibble 😜 
    You are aware England are allowed to be good AND Iran are allowed to be bad right? 

It's not an either/or. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

You are aware England are allowed to be good AND Iran are allowed to be bad right? 

It's not an either/or. 
    England were very good, Iran weren't allowed to be.  They are no worse than most of the other teams we have seen so far. 

The results will tell us over the next week, we won't agree on it until then.  I know your view, you known mine.  Only time will prove either right, if it ever does, as 4 draws won't prove either way.
  • Decent watch that one. 

Can’t be dealing with the forced Wales hate. Will always want them to win when not against England. 
    You've not been to or near Wales and got grief from them lot or been near some of the most unbearable sports fans on earth , orrible lot 
    Very kind of you to say so. We do our best.
  • OK, speaking as a Welshman whose nerves are shredded after just watching our first World Cup game of my lifetime coincide with the worst first half I've seen from us in years...

Firstly, England are a massively better team than any of the others in the group. Most Wales fans with any sense are praying that England are safely through before the last game, otherwise it could be carnage. Wales have an advantage compared to USA or Iran in that our players know England's game better, but there's a limit to how much that helps if you only have 1 player who'd get in the other team.

Second, yes there's a fair amount of needle from Wales fans, but other than a few obsessed nationalists it's not hatred, it's banter. We're the smaller country. Football isn't even sure whether it's our number one sport or not. We have to take our wins where we can get them. Half of us, including me, still switch to cheering on England once Wales go out.

Yes, I get that's it's annoying when some tiny little country acts like you should care about them as rivals when you're far more interested in rivalries with Germany, France and perhaps Scotland. Completely fair. I'd just ask you to understand that, from a neutral perspective, a major European country getting knocked out by Iceland was objectively funny. Sorry, but not sorry.
    England are favourites to beat both Wales and the US, and let's assume by a similar margin. The runner up may well be decided by who out of Wales and the US scores the most goals against Iran - and the US might have a slight advantage there playing them last.

• bobmunro said:
    OK, speaking as a Welshman whose nerves are shredded after just watching our first World Cup game of my lifetime coincide with the worst first half I've seen from us in years...

Firstly, England are a massively better team than any of the others in the group. Most Wales fans with any sense are praying that England are safely through before the last game, otherwise it could be carnage. Wales have an advantage compared to USA or Iran in that our players know England's game better, but there's a limit to how much that helps if you only have 1 player who'd get in the other team.

Second, yes there's a fair amount of needle from Wales fans, but other than a few obsessed nationalists it's not hatred, it's banter. We're the smaller country. Football isn't even sure whether it's our number one sport or not. We have to take our wins where we can get them. Half of us, including me, still switch to cheering on England once Wales go out.

Yes, I get that's it's annoying when some tiny little country acts like you should care about them as rivals when you're far more interested in rivalries with Germany, France and perhaps Scotland. Completely fair. I'd just ask you to understand that, from a neutral perspective, a major European country getting knocked out by Iceland was objectively funny. Sorry, but not sorry.
    England are favourites to beat both Wales and the US, and let's assume by a similar margin. The runner up may well be decided by who out of Wales and the US scores the most goals against Iran - and the US might have a slight advantage there playing them last.

I wouldn't be surprised if Iran don't get at least a point.  Wales might be in for a suprise.  
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    OK, speaking as a Welshman whose nerves are shredded after just watching our first World Cup game of my lifetime coincide with the worst first half I've seen from us in years...

Wales will have to hope that the Iranians are extra motivated by playing the US
  • bobmunro said:

Wales will have to hope that the Iranians are extra motivated by playing the US
    Let's not forget that Iran didn't sing the national anthem and may have committed hara-kiri.  Hopefully they get word that their families are safe tonight.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

It's not an either/or. 
    England were very good, Iran weren't allowed to be.  They are no worse than most of the other teams we have seen so far. 

The results will tell us over the next week, we won't agree on it until then.  I know your view, you known mine.  Only time will prove either right, if it ever does, as 4 draws won't prove either way.
    England never stopped Iran from being good, they did it all by themselves. 

If they are the 20th best team in the world football is fucked.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

It's not an either/or. 

Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

It's not an either/or. 

you're right... we should have won 10-0 

how crap were we...i bet brazil would have done it....

i'd do an eye roll emogee but A (i don't know how) and B ( if my eyes rolled any further back at your comment it would elicit zombies to spawn like it was the evil dead)
  • It's been a real day for break through performances. Jude and Saka announcing themselves as amongst the best of this incredibly impressive young English attacking talent. Cody Gakpo with a lovely run and a really difficult finish. Timothy Weah with a lovely little finish. Tyler Adams was absolutely everywhere. 

But it was the unselfishness, the quality, the nuisance, the hold up play of a star center forward that really caught my eye.

Take a bow, Kiefer Moore. You are the most important player in that Wales squad. You ooze quality and class. You have a goal threat and help everyone around you play. You changed the game. I was baffled when Page didn't start you. But he clearly had a gameplan in mind: super sub. Well done Kiefer, your march to the Golden Ball starts now. 
  • Interesting ... penalty ...

Bale to stuff it up?
    Hmm. Maybe not.

Ben Stokes
  • edited November 2022
    The above is far less of a joke than some might think. Anyway, switching gears.

I've only just had a chance to watch the USA-Wales game.

First off, that was a lot of fun. Not the highest quality, but an absolutely intense tempo for an international match in November. 

I picked England to top the group and Wales to finish second. After that first half I was looking pretty silly. That was probably the best I've seen this US group play. Really good tempo and pressing along with some good interchange. Pulisic dropping in to get the ball and run at the defense followed by Weah running out to in to get in behind were really good signs of maturity for the US.

But that was it. They didn't get the second. And that's one of the issues for this team, they don't have a center forward who compliments the side. There aren't a ton of goals in the side apart from that. 

I was baffled as to why Page didn't start Kiefer Moore. You know the US will press and look to play in transition, you know that Zimmerman is the best MLS defender, which means he's not used to a Kiefer type, and Moore provides that crucial out ball. He came on and changed the game, and here's why:

The US have three key weaknesses: Center Back, Center Forward, and coach. 

Moore exploited the former. And then Zimmerman with a baffling challenge to give away the penalty. How Cameron Carters-Vicker doesn't get in this side God only knows. I've been calling for him and Tim Ream for years, and it seems like we've progressed to the point where one of them can play, but only one at a time. 

At center forward, when Wales started pressing, Josh Sargent...well, I'm not entirely sure what he did. Apart from run around. Because bless his heart, he is good at running around. That's about it. Then Haji Wright came on and I think he touched the ball once. To be fair to Berhalter before I lay into him, his choices at center forward aren't great. But leaving Prefok and Pepi at home will be rightly questioned if this team doesn't progress. Given all of the attacking midfield talent, I think he should try a false nine with Pulisic or Aaronson, but he won't.

And onto Berhalter, the US waited a year after failing to qualify to wait for his contract with Columbus Crew to finish so that they could hire him. That's right, they waited a year for this guy. And I would venture he's one of, if not the worst coaches in the tournament. He has this team set up so that when they can use their athleticism, they're pretty decent. Apart from that, there's just nothing. If they get pegged back they look incredibly vulnerable defending deep. If they have to break a team down, as they did many times in qualifying, they look incredibly labored. 

This is a team that has a glut of talent in attacking midfield. Aaronson, Gio Reyna (who, to be fair, is rarely fit), Pulisic, de la Torre, Mckennie, and Musuh are all players who can help break sides down with their quality on the ball and in some cases their eye for a pass. But you just do not see that in the US team. 

I've never been as high on this team as some of my compatriots. For all of my complaints about Berhalter, I don't think he has quite the golden generation that some here think he has. Yes a lot of them play in Europe, but none really play regularly for top sides--either due to quality (Pulisic), injury (Dest, Reyna), or McKennieness (McKennie). 

I think this team will draw all three of their games. I do think they're well suited with pace and pressing to give England a hard time. But I don't think they get out of the group. I think they'll be better on home soil in 2026. This is still a very young team. The concern I have is that there are a lot of players who rely on their pace and athleticism, and a lot have had extensive injury problems--which I think is related. Sometimes players like that just peak early because their body doesn't hold up, and I do think there are a few in this squad who might peak in their early 20s as a result.

• USA v Wales match was the quintessential game of two halves. USA dominated the first half where the Welsh plan of having Bale and James as the forward players to get in behind the American defence was a complete failure. Credit goes to the USA for being strong and passing well despite not being able to turn their dominance into goals.

The 2nd half with the introduction of kiefer Moore changed the whole dynamics with the Welsh pushing forward and the big Number 9 holding the ball up well and bringing Bale and Ramsey into the game whereas they were both AWOL in the 1st.

1-1 with both teams looking battered at the end of the contest. 
  • OK, speaking as a Welshman whose nerves are shredded after just watching our first World Cup game of my lifetime coincide with the worst first half I've seen from us in years...

I reckon we'll draw with Wales if we beat the United States

Six points, and we're safely into the next round - So might put out a slightly weaker team
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2022

I reckon we'll draw with Wales if we beat the United States

Six points, and we're safely into the next round - So might put out a slightly weaker team

Possibly.

But assuming Wales beat Iran and we beat the US (both very likely) then Wales would only need a point against England to qualify. It could be a 'friendly' draw when we play Wales but the risk is a weaker England allowing Wales to sneak a win would leave us runner-up and having to play a Group winner in the last 16.

I would expect England to put out a very strong side against Wales.
  • Not sure England have a particularly weak side
  • edited November 2022
    Not sure England have a particularly weak side
    Pope
    Alexander-Arnold - Dier - Coady - Trippier
    Henderson
    Rashford - Gallagher - Maddison
    Wilson

Is probably the weakest team we could put out, based on yesterdays line up
  • Not sure England have a particularly weak side

Very true.
  • edited November 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Pope
    Henderson
    Wilson

I would expect us to play 11, what ever team we end up with.
    Meh... Gotta give the Welsh a chance

(Phillips clearly gets sent off in the first minute)
  • edited November 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Pope
    Henderson
    Wilson

I would expect us to play 11, what ever team we end up with.
    Meh... Gotta give the Welsh a chance

(Phillips clearly gets sent off in the first minute)
    You’re typing too fast mate, slow down your piece of kit can’t cope with 11 eleven names at that pace 😁.
  • My main take away from that game is the sooner Clive Tlydesley retires the better.

I had forgotten how he does my head in.
    This with bells on. He is obviously going out with a bang. The Qatar setting has given him the opportunity to outsmug even his own enormous standards of sanctimony.  He is ghastly. The only problem is that when he goes he is doing a grand job of preparing Mattersmug in his likeness. 
  • For once FIFA are doing something right and are counting all the wasted time properly; let's hope the authorities do the same here, for too long fans have been cheated by an overpaid bunch of primadonnas.
  • Strong comments from the ITV crew today over both Qatar and Saudi Arabia