Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• Can't remember ever the host nation's fans fecking orf early in a WC. Ecuador completely shut the game down second half but still, why bother going? 
    Because they were paid to? 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • se9addick said:
    That offside is still baffling me. When the graphic of the knee being offside is shown there is another Qatar player playing him onside? They just delete him from the graphic
    The offside law is actually that any part of the body of the attacking player can’t be ahead of the second to last defensive player. We just don’t think of it in those terms because the goalkeeper counts as one of those defensive players and will almost always be the last man back. In this situation the ‘keeper was having a nightmare and came charging off his line meaning he was the second to last player and the Qatar defender behind him - the one you’re seeing deleted from the graphic - was the last man back. 

So why was the keeper's position deleted from the graphic as well? I've watched it a few times (albeit it's a pretty low res video) but it looks to me like the keeper is playing him on rather than the defender shown in the graphic - and maybe even the second defender from the bottom looks pretty level to me as well - since when has the graphic removed all the other players positions and why??? Also the amount of time that it took for the graphic to even be shown was very iffy to me - like they were trying to retroactively make the decision "right" after the fact. 
  • Can't remember ever the host nation's fans fecking orf early in a WC. Ecuador completely shut the game down second half but still, why bother going? 

Well at least they gave it a try, they just don't like it.  It has cost Qatar 220 billion dollars to find that out.

Meanwhile isn't there some real sport on Qatari TV?

• edited November 2022
    Ball is being contested by Ecuador player and Qatar goalkeeper. Ball loops up towards the Ecuador player whose leg is offside before he heads it back into the mixer. Delay giving the decision was to determine if the Ecuador player touched the ball or it was the ‘keeper only.

• se9addick said:
    That offside is still baffling me. When the graphic of the knee being offside is shown there is another Qatar player playing him onside? They just delete him from the graphic
    The offside law is actually that any part of the body of the attacking player can’t be ahead of the second to last defensive player. We just don’t think of it in those terms because the goalkeeper counts as one of those defensive players and will almost always be the last man back. In this situation the ‘keeper was having a nightmare and came charging off his line meaning he was the second to last player and the Qatar defender behind him - the one you’re seeing deleted from the graphic - was the last man back. 

So why was the keeper's position deleted from the graphic as well? I've watched it a few times (albeit it's a pretty low res video) but it looks to me like the keeper is playing him on rather than the defender shown in the graphic - and maybe even the second defender from the bottom looks pretty level to me as well - since when has the graphic removed all the other players positions and why??? Also the amount of time that it took for the graphic to even be shown was very iffy to me - like they were trying to retroactively make the decision "right" after the fact. 
    The blue graphic comes from the new “semi-automated” system. 

It’s aim by presenting the graphic in this way is to remove confusion. They do that by taking a snapshot at the moment the ball is played (in that case when the ball was contested between keeper and player in the air) and showing only the players relevant to the decision ie second to last defender & the offside player.

When they do goal line technology to show if the ball crossed the line, they remove all the irrelevant players too.

They’re not trying to hide anything. The alternate angles with all players included above will usually be available later.
  • What’s the odds on the golden boot winner coming from this group?
    hope so I’ve got Depay
    He's injured.
  • se9addick said:

The blue graphic comes from the new “semi-automated” system. 

It’s aim by presenting the graphic in this way is to remove confusion. They do that by taking a snapshot at the moment the ball is played (in that case when the ball was contested between keeper and player in the air) and showing only the players relevant to the decision ie second to last defender & the offside player.

When they do goal line technology to show if the ball crossed the line, they remove all the irrelevant players too.

They’re not trying to hide anything. The alternate angles with all players included above will usually be available later.
    That picture would be more informative is they faded the other players but kept them in the picture, as the confusion here was because there were a lot of other "active" players there as well.

It's not like the typical offside situation where there's a clear one versus one situation, and only one attacking and one defending player to consider.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ball is being contested by Ecuador player and Qatar goalkeeper. Ball loops up towards the Ecuador player whose leg is offside before he heads it back into the mixer. Delay giving the decision was to determine if the Ecuador player touched the ball or it was the ‘keeper only.

and this is why I detest VAR & just don't bother with games using it - technically the call may have been correct but then shouldn't the game be stopped every 20 seconds & every passage of play reviewed to make sure no minor infringement occurred before the game continues...what a sorry state of affairs, it's football, let the ref & the lino work it out, it's not a video game
  • Qatar have a seriously boring national anthem 
    I don't know about that. I thought that it sounded like this:

https://youtu.be/zjedLeVGcfE

• Oakster2 said:
    Ball is being contested by Ecuador player and Qatar goalkeeper. Ball loops up towards the Ecuador player whose leg is offside before he heads it back into the mixer. Delay giving the decision was to determine if the Ecuador player touched the ball or it was the ‘keeper only.

and this is why I detest VAR & just don't bother with games using it - technically the call may have been correct but then shouldn't the game be stopped every 20 seconds & every passage of play reviewed to make sure no minor infringement occurred before the game continues...what a sorry state of affairs, it's football, let the ref & the lino work it out, it's not a video game
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Of the millions of people around the globe watching today's match not one could have possibly thought that was anything other than a goal. Yet we end up with a two and a half minute delay with nobody knowing what on earth is going on, and then it took about 20 minutes for an explanation to come through of exactly what had happened.

I remember watching Scotland in one of the world cup play offs recently and their keeper saved a spot kick to win the penalty shoot out. Did the keeper celebrate such a massive moment? No, he just had to hang around nervously because it took around 30 seconds for VAR to decide whether he was on his line or not. VAR just completely ruins those kind of moments.

The sad part is football brought this whole mess upon itself with the constant scrutiny of refereeing, in this mad quest for 100% correct decisions. Take VAR away and you would have the same managers and pundits who moan about VAR moaning about incorrect decisions again so I don't ever see it being withdrawn sadly.

There is a clear solution for me though which is to revert it to it's original purpose of reviewing clear and obvious mistakes only. Teams should have a certain number of reviews and can use them at their leisure, if they don't use their review for a particular decision then they clearly can't think a referees decision is a clear and obvious error 

• Sonny looks like batman with his black mask on now :)
  • Exactly why VAR is hated:

A over zealous offside given yesterday
    A 100% penalty not given today 
  • How’s the atmosphere in the city Cafctom? Loads of people up for it?Or pretty quiet?
  • Is Netherlands vs Senegal gonna be the first game of the Tournament where we could see a tight interesting game, or will we have to wait for 7pm for that?
  • Dutch keeper making his debut today!
  • Sponsored links:

• Isn't the next Asian winter games in Saudi?
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Isn't the next Asian winter games in Saudi?
    Yeah not until 2029 though, so plenty of time to bring in the fake snow
  • edited November 2022
    Why the hell are there all these big fancy ceremony type things prior to each of the games?

Even Virgil van Dijk looked confused as hell
  • Let’s see if they get the cringe countdown to kick off right on this one
  • Fumbluff said:
    Let’s see if they get the cringe countdown to kick off right on this one
    Think they got it right for the England game
  • Stadium looks empty for the third match in a row.
  • Why are they playing Lady Gaga's Bad Romance every time the teams walk out the tunnel?
  • Bright start from the Senegalese.
  • This kit is definitely the wrong shade of orange for a Dutch team