Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• Leuth said:
    Very poor quality last 4. Yet another chance tossed away. If we can't do it now, then I am thinking we never will. 56  years of hurt and counting. Wank subs as usual from the Palace idiot.
    Absolutely fuckin ridiculous ofc. And one of the wank subs won England a penalty almost immediately 
    Whilst another almost equalised at the death
  • Absolutely do not want Argentina to win.

And if France do win I’ll be delighted for our French family. But that’s the thing. I know quite a few Frenchies and not one of them gives a stuff about football.
    Its so unfair 😩😩😩😩😩😩
  • edited December 2022
    This is Knock out football not a League so surprised that isn't understood by people who have been watching tournaments for 5 decades or so. Unlike the Euros with both Denmark and Greece to name just two unlikely winners, the WC is different and however they do it, the same sides get to the finals, with France, Brazil, Argentine, Germany, Italy and three time losers Netherlands being the usual teams.

Croatia have a chance as they got to the last final but most observers of multiple WC will go for Argentina and France. Disagree with posters that say Argentina are a one man team as Messi has no defensive responsibility,  he just has to wander into space for an attack. France most certainly aren't a one man team despite the world class skill of Mbappé.

• A lot of the discussion of Southgate reminds me of the way some people spoke about Curbishley towards the end of his time here. Suggesting that he'd done well but was clearly not going to be able to take us to the next level from the comfortable mid-table status we'd achieved. Well, his replacements definitely took us to a different level to that.

Much of what Southgate does looks like it doesn't work, and yet somehow England get good results and play well as a team. You could try to fix something that isn't broken, but it's really not a good idea and there will be a lot of sniggering from elsewhere in the UK if you ditch Southgate and then mess up qualification for the next Euros, which you're currently among the favourites for. This level of England performance won't last forever. For now, enjoy it.
  • A lot of the discussion of Southgate reminds me of the way some people spoke about Curbishley towards the end of his time here. Suggesting that he'd done well but was clearly not going to be able to take us to the next level from the comfortable mid-table status we'd achieved. Well, his replacements definitely took us to a different level to that.

Much of what Southgate does looks like it doesn't work, and yet somehow England get good results and play well as a team. You could try to fix something that isn't broken, but it's really not a good idea and there will be a lot of sniggering from elsewhere in the UK if you ditch Southgate and then mess up qualification for the next Euros, which you're currently among the favourites for. This level of England performance won't last forever. For now, enjoy it.
    I was thinking the same thing regarding Curbs, who knows that the England didn’t peak last year getting into the final of the Euros under Southgate.
  • It's not quite a closed shop, but it's an incredibly small number of countries who end up in the finals of World Cups. Since 1970 the only countries to reach a WC final are

Brazil
    Italy
    Germany
    Netherlands
    Argentina
    France
    Spain
    Croatia

Croatia really stand out as overachievers in that list, with England the obvious underachievers.
  • edited December 2022
    A lot of the discussion of Southgate reminds me of the way some people spoke about Curbishley towards the end of his time here. Suggesting that he'd done well but was clearly not going to be able to take us to the next level from the comfortable mid-table status we'd achieved. Well, his replacements definitely took us to a different level to that.

I was thinking the same thing regarding Curbs, who knows that the England didn’t peak last year getting into the final of the Euros under Southgate.

This is a better England side than the team that got into the Euro' final or the WC semi. The difference this time is we met the World cup holders France in the Quarters who are contenders again.
    I agree we may never have had a better chance that the last Euro's or this WC as other Nations will get stronger. 
    Wilson was really looking sharp so surprised he didn't get more game time after his very good cameo against Iran. 

Southgate deserved another Euros but not certain about a 3rd WC as Manager ?  
  • It's not quite a closed shop, but it's an incredibly small number of countries who end up in the finals of World Cups. Since 1970 the only countries to reach a WC final are

Brazil
    Italy
    Germany
    Netherlands
    Argentina
    France
    Spain
    Croatia

Croatia really stand out as overachievers in that list, with England the obvious underachievers.

I named those 8 countries earlier on this or the England v France thread and you just can't be on the beach and rock up like Denmark did unprepared and win the Euros or Greece from memory won the Euro's back in the day.

Argentina v France or Croatia v France won't be a surprise BUT Morocco will be the biggest surprise in the history of the World cup when the shocks are normally just the odd big teams (top 7, see above)going out in the group games. Until Morocco showed up and beat Spain and Portugal in the KO rounds.

I expect the French to win with goals to spare but if the reserve players of Morocco can step up then maybe but just don't see one more Miracle against the French team that play without stress and can raise the tempo.
  • Absolutely do not want Argentina anywhere near that trophy. 
    This.
    This.
    This.

And this again.

And one more time - This.
  • edited December 2022
    Referees for the semi-final matches:
    - Daniele Orsato (ITA) will referee Argentina v Croatia while
    - Cesar Ramos (MEX) will referee France v Morocco.

Potential candidates for the final are:
    - Syzmon Marciniak (POL),
    - Ismael Elfath (USA) or
    - Wilton Sampaio (BRA).

Marciniak was last seen at Argentina v Australia, Elfath at Japan v Croatia and Sampaio at England v France.
    - Sampaio I would assume is unlikely after what happened on Saturday but he's not been sent home by FIFA yet.
    - Elfath is refereeing in the MLS but was born in Morocco and only moved to the States when he was 18 years old so will be discounted if Morocco reach the final.
    - It leaves Marciniak as the most likely candidate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Very surprised that Sampaio has been kept on, especially when you see someone like Michael Oliver (who isn't that bad at all) has been sent home. Surely a ref from the biggest league in the world, who's also reffed big European games should be reffing in the final stages of a world cup?

Sampaio is not reffing a semi final and surely wouldn't get the final if Argentina got there, so why has he been kept on?
  • Very surprised that Sampaio has been kept on, especially when you see someone like Michael Oliver (who isn't that bad at all) has been sent home. Surely a ref from the biggest league in the world, who's also reffed big European games should be reffing in the final stages of a world cup?

Sampaio is not reffing a semi final and surely wouldn't get the final if Argentina got there, so why has he been kept on?
    Maybe they've already discounted refs from any of the countries playing in the QF onwards, even before they were played.

Does seem daft to have a ref from a major rival to Argentina, and a ref born in Morocco
  • Michael Oliver really isn't great
  • Saturday Night Live joke from this past weekend:

"As you all saw, Morocco defeated Portugal in the quarter finals of the World Cup. It's the best World Cup performance by a team of Africans since the unpaid workers who built the stadiums."
  • Leuth said:
    Michael Oliver really isn't great
    He refs in biggest league in the world and more importantly the champions league where pretty much all of the worlds best players play.

Compared to refs from Mexico, USA and Brazil, he is absolutely a better bet to ref these players in the final stages of a world cup. 
  • It's nice to know the world Cup returns tonight! The gap is boring

Maybe ditch the euros, Africa, Asia, and American nations trophies etc

Replace it with world Cup instead and have it on every 2 years
  • edited December 2022
    Can’t see past an Argentina win later. Croatia are wily but that only takes you so far. They were lucky against Brazil and doing that twice in a row to both South American powerhouses would be a real shock.

Feel like Morocco have a slim chance against France tomorrow. Moreso than Croatia do today.

95% Argentina
    75% France
  • Type of game that ends up 1-0 with Messi scoring.

Been very.imoressed with Gvardiol for Croatia, think their defence may well handle Argentina's forwards pretty well but they've looked very poor going forward.
  • edited December 2022
    cafctom said:
    I want Messi to win it (not necessarily Argentina, but that can’t be helped). 

France winning it would feel a bit boring back-to-back.

Messi lifting the trophy is the iconic footballing image that has been speculated for years. It would be touching to see it happen for a player in his final tournament, especially one who has given the game so much joy.

It would be an incredible end to the story of the greatest footballer the game has ever seen.

The sport needs a massive moment like that IMO.
    I am a Charlton fan and an England fan. Failing that, I like an underdog. Messi has never given me a solitary moment of joy in my entire life. I respect your opinion Tom, but don't share it for a single moment. Sorry.   

Your sentence around Messi never once giving you an ounce of joy is really interesting. I don’t think I’ve heard a football fan say that before.

Have you never seen him score an outrageous goal or dribble past 2-3 players at a time and not thought “Wow” to yourself at least once?

I certainly don’t want to tell you that you feel otherwise from what you state - as we all enjoy football in our own way. But Messi I always thought was just one of those players that was universally and unconditionally admired for how special he is.

One of those players who you don’t even need to be a football or tactical expert to enjoy. In this day and age, there are very few of those left.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2022
    Given Croatia's record i'm surprised a lot of people seem to be writing them off. I definitely wouldn't be surprised if we have another long night and they go to pens again.

One thing is certain though tonight will see the end of the world cup dream for one of two footballing greats, Messi and Modric.
  • edited December 2022
    Think I want France to win it. 

Don’t want the Argies to win it, and couldn’t handle an underdog country joining the list of winners, so France it is. 
  • On paper that Argentina side doesn't feel that strong. Will be interesting to see how they do without Messi in 2026
  • MrOneLung said:
    Think o want France to win it. 

Don’t want the Argies to win it, and couldn’t handle an underdog country joining the list of winners, so France it is. 
    Same. Plus I think France are the best side.
  • Nearly 12 years ago Modric came off the bench to win the biggest game of his career. It's been downhill ever since.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/9341936.stm
  • Absolutely do not want Argentina anywhere near that trophy. 
    This.
    This.
    This.

And this again.

And one more time - This.

I think you need to emphasise THIS more.

• edited December 2022
    Laddick01 said:
    On paper that Argentina side doesn't feel that strong. Will be interesting to see how they do without Messi in 2026
    I wonder if he will still be about in 26.  Yes he will be 38 but I wouldn't put it passed him, or Argentina, to have him in the squad amd trundle him out for 10 minutes here or there.  Germany would.

Absolutely zero chance of Ronaldo being there, unless he is the manager and picks himself.
  • Roll on a Croatia vs Morocco final!!
  • Good start here by Croatia
  • F**king hell, excuse me whilst I throw up.

The commentary team talking about Messi's pass of the tournament when he setup the first Argentina goal against the Netherlands, a gap a phone signal would have struggled to get through!!