Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• I definitely think that in shoot outs you should leather it. 
  • Morroco showing that it's not just at League One level where a slow passing, possession focused team can be almost entirely nullified by a deep sitting, massed ranks defence. If you can't switch up the tempo at a flick of a switch the instant a glimmer of an opening shows itself, then you won't hurt teams just by having all of the ball. Tiki Taka works when you have great players like Xavi, Iniesta, Villa etc., but even very good players can seriously struggle to make it work if the opposition are organized and defending deep. 
  • philcafc said:
    Well done Morocco, and potentially good news for England. If we can scrape past France you would surely fancy us against the other 3 teams in our half of the draw.

Hush your mouth 🤫
  • Ronaldo has been benched for Portugal. Piers won't be happy.
  • edited December 2022
    Morocco are a great little side - they will be difficult for most sides to beat.

Fourth African side to reach a World Cup quarter final. Could see them being the first African side to reach a semi final.
    I think an England or France with the attacking talent would have made short work of Morocco today.

Regardless I dont wanna face them
    They've conceded one goal all tournament - an own goal against Canada. They've kept clean sheets against Croatia, Belgium and now Spain.

Think they deserve to be taken seriously by the other teams left in the competition. Yes, I don't expect them to win the competition either but they're not a Cinderella story - they're in the quarter finals on merit.
  • Spain (according to my local pundit) - 975 completed passes. 2 shots.
  • Gotta give praise to the keeper, apparently where he’s from the streets have no name…
  • Morocco are a great little side - they will be difficult for most sides to beat.

Fourth African side to reach a World Cup quarter final. Could see them being the first African side to reach a semi final.
    I think an England or France with the attacking talent would have made short work of Morocco today.

They've conceded one goal all tournament - an own goal against Canada. They've kept clean sheets against Croatia, Belgium and now Spain.

Think they deserve to be taken seriously by the other teams left in the competition. Yes, I don't expect them to win the competition either but they're not a Cinderella story - they're in the quarter finals on merit.
    Question is, how much did this match take out of them. They're certainly not going to be a push over though.
  • Spain (according to my local pundit) - 975 completed passes. 2 shots.
    Garner Ball
  • Sponsored links:

• Morroco showing that it's not just at League One level where a slow passing, possession focused team can be almost entirely nullified by a deep sitting, massed ranks defence. If you can't switch up the tempo at a flick of a switch the instant a glimmer of an opening shows itself, then you won't hurt teams just by having all of the ball. Tiki Taka works when you have great players like Xavi, Iniesta, Villa etc., but even very good players can seriously struggle to make it work if the opposition are organized and defending deep. 
    And if you don't have a decent centre forward...
  • Who on earth sorted this scheduling?

We played 2 nights ago. But the Morocco v Portugal/Swiss quarter final is BEFORE our one.
  • Mbappe missed training today!
  • edited December 2022
    Hoping Ronaldo's toxic ego poisons the Portugese camp, but I suspect we've seen our singular upset for this round.
  • edited December 2022
    Well done Morocco. I'm looking forward to work tomorrow😃
  • Question:

When was the last time a team didn't score a goal in a penalty shootout because the opposition won with their 4th pen. In world cups ?
  • edited December 2022
    Question:

When was the last time a team didn't score a goal in a penalty shootout because the opposition won with their 4th pen. In world cups ?
    Switzerland... 2006 World Cup, they lost 3-0 on penalties to Ukraine in the RO16 (after a 0-0 score line)

Only other time its happened @ a World Cup, I'm a sad bastard so will probably check the Euros too
  • 3 shots on target in 120 minutes, only 1 of them by Spain. 3 penalties scored out of 7, none of them by Spain. Talk about going out with a whimper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Morocco are a great little side - they will be difficult for most sides to beat.

Question is, how much did this match take out of them. They're certainly not going to be a push over though.
    Physically they'll be tired and seemed to have a few knocks too. And can they raise themselves after such an epic win?

But yes, they certainly shouldn't fear either Portugal or Switzerland.
    And if you don't have a decent centre forward...
    Exactly, if you added prime Torres and Villa to this current side they'd be very good (albeit not as good as the 08-12 side were).
  • Well done Morocco. I'm looking forward to work tomorrow😃
    Quite a few Moroccans out on the streets celebrating tonight (doing that 'drive round the town in the car blatting the horn and annoying neutrals). That defence will take some prising open.
  • I definitely think that in shoot outs you should leather it. 

The Spanish and Japanese players were shown videos of Lyle Taylor taking penalties and scoring and that is why they went on walk-about !
  • Question:

Switzerland... 2006 World Cup, they lost 3-0 on penalties to Ukraine in the RO16 (after a 0-0 score line)

Only other time its happened @ a World Cup, I'm a sad bastard so will probably check the Euros too
    There has never been a 3-0 penalty shootout win @ the Euros
  • This game could be 130 minutes long and penalities. If Ronaldo started this match would he still have the energy to be on the field for pens if it goes that far and it easily could ?

He will probably play the 2nd half and added time and Extra time if needed so don't see the big issue with a strong Portuguese side who won the Euro's with Ronaldo watching most of the game after being injured early doors.

Come on the neutrals.
  • Cancelo left out as well which is also surprising, even if he's been nowhere near the Man City version
  • Beat France and our reward a bye to the final …

stop M’Bappe 
  • Wow, the Portugal manager will be feeling super smug at the moment!