Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Fleetwood v Charlton | Saturday 17 September 2022 3:00PM

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2022
    sam3110 said:
    Shrew said:
    Back home in Shropshire, I’ve enjoyed all the northern away matches this season so far , despite the results, After 50 years of watching Charlton I’m used to it, by far the must depressing thing is reading comments on here and seeing so many empty seats at the valley. If you think that not being promoted is disastrous your supporting the wrong team. The football is so much better to watch then last year and I’m still stupidly hopeful every Saturday. Cheers to everyone who travelled much further then me today 
    There is no way on God's Green Earth that anyone associated with our club should accept mid table mediocrity in the third tier FFS. It's that acceptance of absolute shit that allows Sandgaard and the fucking chancers before him to get away with being terrible owners. 
    You seriously believe our terrible owners get away with it? Roland had protests against him constantly, including in his own town. Southall was forced. our, much helped by the staff who stayed late on that infamous night. The board room was stormed in an attempt to get rid of Elliott. And Sandgaard can’t even turn up to away games without getting stick from some fans.

I promise u our owners never get away with anything.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    cabbles said:
    10 pts from 9 games.  Extrapolate that out over a season and that’s pure, unadulterated league one consolidationism.  Nothing’s changed from last season other than some new faces.  Today those that blithely cling to hope talk of Egbo as a new face that might make a difference.  We do this time and time again.  Delusion takes over our senses, if draws became wins, the second half showed more promise.  We’re exactly where we were this time a year ago, it’s the same jigsaw with the pieces arranged in a different way. 

We try and pick the positives out of 2 consecutive 1-1 draws with FGR and Fleetwood.  How many times have we played Fleetwood since 2016?  That tells you all you need to know 
    If you can’t take the positives out of games like the last two what’s the point? Yes, we’re mid table league one fodder, and that isn’t good enough based on our history and ground, but I still look for signs of improvement, or else I’d end up losing the will to live. 
    Mind you, that first half. 😩

Anyway, it ups the excitement levels, knowing these are all ‘must win’ matches. Presumably our season is over as we’ve failed to win four of them. 
    And how the hell are we only three points off the playoffs!?
    What positives have you taken or seen from the last two games then?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    cabbles said:
    10 pts from 9 games.  Extrapolate that out over a season and that’s pure, unadulterated league one consolidationism.  Nothing’s changed from last season other than some new faces.  Today those that blithely cling to hope talk of Egbo as a new face that might make a difference.  We do this time and time again.  Delusion takes over our senses, if draws became wins, the second half showed more promise.  We’re exactly where we were this time a year ago, it’s the same jigsaw with the pieces arranged in a different way. 

We try and pick the positives out of 2 consecutive 1-1 draws with FGR and Fleetwood.  How many times have we played Fleetwood since 2016?  That tells you all you need to know 
    If you can’t take the positives out of games like the last two what’s the point? Yes, we’re mid table league one fodder, and that isn’t good enough based on our history and ground, but I still look for signs of improvement, or else I’d end up losing the will to live. 

Anyway, it ups the excitement levels, knowing these are all ‘must win’ matches. Presumably our season is over as we’ve failed to win four of them. 
    • It looks very comfortable to visit the Valley at the moment, plenty of room for everyone to spread out.
    • Egbo is back in the team
    The biggest negative I can take from the season so far, isn't the results themselves, but the fact we can only turn up for 45mins - Thats just ridiculous at the moment.
  • Options
    HandG said:
    That's it from me, all things Charlton. 55 years a Charlton supporter - cannot take any more crap. Lower half  league one side with a Premiership stadium ain't gonna get any better soon. Good Bye!
    Anyone else getting sick of posts like this? 
    Think it's called flouncing.
    Of course he could just disappear quietly, but neither way is a good look when long-term fans start deserting the club.
    I must admit I often feel like having a good flounce myself. Haven't reached my tipping point yet I guess
    Probably a Millwall fan.
  • Options
    Lots of comments on Clayden, he does one or two good things and then overplays in our defensive area and yesterday got away with it a couple of times but a telegraphed ball into Dobson, led to their goal. He’s a young lad with potential just needs to learn the basics of a new position for him. 
  • Options
    Not bad squad numbers but we are now witnessing why it is not at all balanced. Kirk arguably is our best crosser, but does not work hard enough consistently (he was up for it vs Plymouth) and is too slowed pace to play in a front 3 with Stockley, who equally has next to no pace, however hard he tries. We know he needs crosses laid squarely on his forehead to score and feed that animal enough, it will score.

CBT has bags of pace but is uncomposed in his shooting and a bit erratic while crossing. JR-S, has a trick, pretty good pace and can shoot, but is young and therefore not as composed as he will be in 2-3 years time (at which he point he will be playing Prem football). Will get 10 goals this season, but could otherwise be 30.

Egbo now gives Garner a huge headache vs Clare who pre end of transfer window was a player we wanted to build around. Does he move into midfield? 

I could go on in most positions. The issue is neither the system, nor style of play, it is the wrong jigsaw pieces to complement the system and what Garner is trying to achieve. For those that argue change the system, I think this system is what the owner wants to see and so, will stubbornly be here for a while yet. Hope the recruitment team can get a few days off quick, as they have a lot of work to do come January, shifting players in and out. The 3 windows comments from Garner does make more sense now. Square pegs in round holes…

• Options
    On a positive note we're not conceding lots of goals.
  • Options
    Scott Brown's comment re the first half, 'they were quite conservative' ... Is that code for something?  Only I've not seen anyone using that phrase on here.
    I think it means we keep changing the person at the top and the people in the Cabinet (team) but we are still s**t.
  • Options
    Watched on the TV

Looked poor throughout and lucky to nick a point. Greg Stubley summed it up for me by saying we look like eleven strangers out there.

Rak Saki should be nowhere near a starting eleven with his lack of experience, he should be on loan with Sutton United.

With a choice of forwards from two inexperienced kids, one crock and Stockley we are going nowhere fast.
    What planet are you on?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd just like to say that it's actually 11 points from 9, not 10. :-)

And still we're just three pts behind the top six.

We are struggling to pick up the wins at the moment, but aside from getting beaten away at two top six sides, we're looking difficult to beat as well. We're on pace for 10 losses across the season, that'd be a marked improvement on last year's team who lost 21.

Give Garner more time to mold the team in his image plus a January window to *hopefully* bring in the players he wants and we could just start winning more games, climbing the table as a result. After a rocky summer, his Swindon team won 11 of their final 17 games last season.

Swindon's first nine games last season: W3 D4 L2.
    Charlton's first nine games this season: W2 D5 L2.

Not perfect parity but close enough to make the point... it's a long old season and a lot can change in the next 37 games.

If you haven't got hope, then what's the point of following the team? I try keeping the off field and on field stuff separate as much as possible.
    An Swindon achieved what……. Still in league 2 as far as I can see..
    If top six isn’t good enough for you, I can’t help you.
  • Options
    I’d really like us to go to 442 tried this 433 and I don’t think it works in this division although it’s worked better than under Adkinsf.I think our squad will be more suited to 442. When leaburn came on with stockley we looked a lot better today.
    thought mcCrappy had his best game today  but I’d sonner  have caskey on bench than risk mcCrappy getting injured warming up or something. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I’d really like us to go to 442 tried this 433 and I don’t think it works in this division although it’s worked better than under Adkinsf.I think our squad will be more suited to 442. When leaburn came on with stockley we looked a lot better today.
    thought mcCrappy had his best game today  but I’d sonner  have caskey on bench than risk mcCrappy getting injured warming up or something. 
    If it doesn't work in this division why do teams keep getting promoted playing it.  It hasn't, yet, worked for us.

There is a big difference.
  • Options
    If we talk about making the most out of the players we have, looking at this squad it has good attacking strength on the wings and has some good players and depth in central midfield. It makes sense that Garner is accentuating those strengths rather than playing two up front just to suit one player - Stockley.

If Leaburn is scoring 3 goals in 3.5 hours then surely that means we do offer decent service to the right striker, it's just that Jayden isn't making the runs. Perhaps he could start. He's not getting near it at the moment.

Ultimately I don't personally believe formation is going to make or break us either way this season. What has broken us is not having enough senior players. Clayden has cost us 3-4 important goals in recent weeks - not exactly his fault, he shouldn't be out there. 
  • Options
    One clean sheet in 9
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    One clean sheet in 9
    11 conceded in 9 - five of those in two games. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    One clean sheet in 9
    Yes. Still need to score 2 a game to win then 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    One clean sheet in 9
    Agreed but just think attack is more of a problem at moment. 
  • Options
    Clare is one booking from suspension, so Egbo will get a start then
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    One clean sheet in 9
    We have scored in every league game bar one at Sheffield Wednesday so finding the net is happening though admittedly the Cambridge and Forest Green games are a good point where we need to kill a game off. 4 points dropped there when the likes of Inniss and Wollacott were at fault of those goals in both draws. 

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cabbles said:

Not many if I’m honest, but…

The fact that we’re creating chances, even in games we’re not playing well in. 
    Payne and Fraser showing they might be able to form a decent midfield combo.
    Egbo looking quality on his debut. 
    Leaburn is improving rapidly.

I can’t help but look for positives. It’s just my nature. 
    But overall it’s looking grim, and because of the thinness of our squad we’ll struggle to pick up wins. However, and here comes the happy clappy bit, with a fully fit squad I think we’ll make the play offs. 
    But of course we won’t have a fully fit squad. And therefore the January window will be key. 
    I respect the optimism but I have to disagree.  Stockley in that front 3, even CBT and JRS aren’t going to be consistent enough.

The thing I can’t get, is that you saw what a promotion team looked like in 2011/12 and 18/19, further back if you saw 97/98, and 99/00.  You can’t honestly say you think this squad fully fit is on those levels?  

Where’s our Mendonca, Lyle Taylor, Yann Kermorgant.  Who’s our Aribo?  Our Rhoys Wiggins?  I could go on. 

• Options
    Scoham said:
    They said on Charlton TV that Carlo never scored a flick like that. They were wrong.
    As soon as I saw Miles' goal, I instantly recalled this and thought ' a chip off the old block'.

He appears to be able to find the back of the net more often though.

A great prospect, we won't see him here next season. 
    Doubt we'll see him in February 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    One clean sheet in 9
    We have scored in every league game bar one at Sheffield Wednesday so finding the net is happening though admittedly the Cambridge and Forest Green games are a good point where we need to kill a game off. 4 points dropped there when the likes of Inniss and Wollacott were at fault of those goals in both draws. 

Realistically the best we can expect to manage defensively is conceding a goal a game. Apart from the Plymouth game we're not scoring enough.
  • Options
    Clare is one booking from suspension, so Egbo will get a start then
    Egbo should be playing instead of Clare , he can’t defend and doesn’t know the word of passing the ball forward .
  • Options
    Who is McCrappy who you thought had his best game today?
    If you're referring to McGrandles he didn't play.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    No-one stated he played yesterday but merely made the comment that he 'd likely be injured warming up off the bench he occupied. 
  • Options
    No-one stated he played yesterday but merely made the comment that he 'd likely be injured warming up off the bench he occupied. 
    You've also lost me.