Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Fleetwood v Charlton | Saturday 17 September 2022 3:00PM

Comments

• Options
    Bailey said:
    mendonca said:
    0 goals in 9 from Open play for Captain Stockley now. 
    Fuck me give it rest, play a system that puts crosses into our only centre forward then you might see a change in those stats, then you would have to find another scapegoat. 
    You are assuming that I am not making the same eloquent point as you? 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    That's it from me, all things Charlton. 55 years a Charlton supporter - cannot take any more crap. Lower half  league one side with a Premiership stadium ain't gonna get any better soon. Good Bye!
    Reminds me of that embarrassing copy / paste crap that goes round on Twitter

With the message ending with saying that they're off to support a rival team
    Nope can’t say I’ve seen that
    Count yourself lucky then, its cringy as fuck and has tended to be found in the comments of major Football twitter stories
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    That's it from me, all things Charlton. 55 years a Charlton supporter - cannot take any more crap. Lower half  league one side with a Premiership stadium ain't gonna get any better soon. Good Bye!

Count yourself lucky then, its cringy as fuck and has tended to be found in the comments of major Football twitter stories
    So not Charlton related then? 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:

Did I ever say it was Charlton related? - I said it reminds me of a copy / paste from twitter

You need to learn to read
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:

Did I ever say it was Charlton related? - I said it reminds me of a copy / paste from twitter

You need to learn to read
    Wind your neck in Neil
    Oh I'm ever so sorry Stuart
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Was feeling very sorry for the travelling Addicks when Miles came to their rescue with the backheel. Hopefully made their journey home much more enjoyable. 

Obviously that was a shocking first half, with no redeeming features. Outplayed, out muscled, out thought. Don’t even want to think about how bad that was. 
    Tremendous change in the second half though. Better formation, and a real positive in Egbo. Looks like a proper right back, and he’s stronger than Clare. 
    Loved Leaburn’s interview after the match. Hopefully that’ll get posted on Twitter, and reposted here. 
    Should have won it in the end. Hit the woodwork twice, and Rak Sakyi could have done better when put through. And when he blazed over. And when he missed the sitter in the first half. Hopefully he’ll be less profligate in future, but he’s very young tbf. 
    Dobson had an unusually poor game. His passing was way off today. Thought Fraser and Payne were ok, and improved before Payne came off. 
    If CBT’s shot had gone in rather than hit the bar we’d be all set for the weekend.
    He’s been pretty inconsistent all season for me. 

On the whole he has been his normal tenacious self, and has put in some fantastic challenges and broken up play well.

On the other hand I think he use of the ball, especially going forwards has been poor quiet a lot of the time. 
    Yeah, i agree. I thought he would adopt better to the system than he has. He's had some good passing games and some not good ones. He still passes the ball very well when facing the direction he's passing. The problem has been playing on the half turn or in tight situations. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    mendonca said:
    0 goals in 9 from Open play for Captain Stockley now. 
    Fuck me give it rest, play a system that puts crosses into our only centre forward then you might see a change in those stats, then you would have to find another scapegoat. 
    How many goals are scored from aerial crosses into the box these days ?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Was feeling very sorry for the travelling Addicks when Miles came to their rescue with the backheel. Hopefully made their journey home much more enjoyable. 

Obviously that was a shocking first half, with no redeeming features. Outplayed, out muscled, out thought. Don’t even want to think about how bad that was. 
    Tremendous change in the second half though. Better formation, and a real positive in Egbo. Looks like a proper right back, and he’s stronger than Clare. 
    Loved Leaburn’s interview after the match. Hopefully that’ll get posted on Twitter, and reposted here. 
    Should have won it in the end. Hit the woodwork twice, and Rak Sakyi could have done better when put through. And when he blazed over. And when he missed the sitter in the first half. Hopefully he’ll be less profligate in future, but he’s very young tbf. 
    Dobson had an unusually poor game. His passing was way off today. Thought Fraser and Payne were ok, and improved before Payne came off. 
    If CBT’s shot had gone in rather than hit the bar we’d be all set for the weekend.
    He’s been pretty inconsistent all season for me. 

On the whole he has been his normal tenacious self, and has put in some fantastic challenges and broken up play well.

On the other hand I think he use of the ball, especially going forwards has been poor quiet a lot of the time. 
    Yeah, i agree. I thought he would adopt better to the system than he has. He's had some good passing games and some not good ones. He still passes the ball very well when facing the direction he's passing. The problem has been playing on the half turn or in tight situations. 
    He’s our best and most important player and the least of our problems 
  • Options
    It’s been real. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Started the day with an hour or so playing a few songs with my other half - me on Irish Bouzouki, she on guitar and mandolin, then went to Looe with the dog and had a walk by the sea in glorious sunshine.  Got back a few minutes ago to check the scores.  Made the right call. Maybe my luck is changing.

Were they as shit as the scoreline suggests?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Started the day with an hour or so playing a few songs with my other half - me on Irish Bouzouki, she on guitar and mandolin, then went to Looe with the dog and had a walk by the sea in glorious sunshine.  Got back a few minutes ago to check the scores.  Made the right call. Maybe my luck is changing.

That sounds lovely.

First half, yes, worse even. Second half, no, a bit better. Good final 20 minutes, awful opening 45, meh in between.

Egbo looks a player.

CBT as a wingback doesn't really work. Clayden just isn't ready for this league, week in, week out.

Miles scored a worldie. 

There, you're pretty much caught up.
  • Options

Yes
  • Options
    Leaburn is going to be a classy player. The lad can finish. He has to start over Stockley for me. He offers so much more and proved it again when he came off the bench today.
    Off in January ?
  • Options
    First half, pure shite. Looked uncomfortable in and out of possession. It seemed like a good day in the first few minutes when stockley won a few flick ons for Rak-Sakyi but that all soon ended. Loads, loads of sloppy misplaced passes one of which lead to Fleetwood's goal. They finished the first half quite strong, we finished it with 7 players camped on the edge of our own box.

Second half, same but different. We looked much more comfortable going back to a 433 and suddenly looked like we could get back in it,but, back came the same old problems of poor final balls and finishing plus stockley still looking out of place in the formation. Plenty of sloppy passing still.

3rd formation change of the game and something closer to 442 saw a pretty classy equaliser, game got quite open towards the end with both of us able to nick it but us probably just edging it. 

JRS - hot and cold, wasn't great through the middle off Stockley, better out wide, finishing is getting worse, gone from hitting it at the keeper to hitting it over.

Egbo - good signs, wouldn't believe he was playing for the first time since coming back from injury. 

Anyway, tough place to go, ref was against us, their keeper played a blinder, once Inniss/ Aneke are back etc etc. 
  • Options
    Nine games played, still only two losses.

Our problem is converting the draws into losses. Either by keeping goals out more efficiently or showing more quality in the box.

2-2 vs Accrington
    1-1 vs Cambridge
    1-1 vs Wycombe
    1-1 vs Forest Green
    1-1 vs Fleetwood

are all missed opportunities.
    Only 2 wins in all that time. I would rather we were a Reading FC Win Lose Win Lose Win Lose week after week. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Have to say that first half was as bad as anything I've seen from us for a good while. We played like Brazil at Bolton in comparison. Totally different proposition in the second half and we really went for it from about 85 minutes onwards. If we played with the intensity, desire and attacking movement we showed from 85 onwards we would've wiped the floor with most of the division today. And the fact that most of the players were sprawled out with their heads in their hands after the final whistle showed it.

The squad is far from perfect and I subscribe to the Garner being left short (and shorter than he was expecting to be) movement... BUT the players we do have are so so much better than the first 45 today. The best thing Garner can do between now and January is work on the players' mentality. It's that as much as learning any pressing system that's the problem.
  • Options
    A good solid second half. And nice flick from Leaburn..Great to see Egbo out there. We have some rwal quality in defence and midfield now.  The only concern, the first time in living memory we have a fully fit squad (sans Chuks) so ...the very best we have to choose from ... and yet we are struggling against the weak teams still. Looking at the table tonight I think that top six is the final top six of the season. I might swap Plymouth but the rest are.in the final six. 

If we can stay fit we are top 10. I'd say hang your hopes on a cup run. 
  • Options
    Watched on the TV

Looked poor throughout and lucky to nick a point. Greg Stubley summed it up for me by saying we look like eleven strangers out there.

Rak Saki should be nowhere near a starting eleven with his lack of experience, he should be on loan with Sutton United.

With a choice of forwards from two inexperienced kids, one crock and Stockley we are going nowhere fast.
    Good to find the positives this afternoon! 
  • Options

Our problem is converting the draws into losses. Either by keeping goals out more efficiently or showing more quality in the box.

2-2 vs Accrington
    1-1 vs Cambridge
    1-1 vs Wycombe
    1-1 vs Forest Green
    1-1 vs Fleetwood

I’ve read this 5 times. Am I going to embarrass myself? Shouldn’t it be our problem is not converting draws into wins?!!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I pleased we tried 3-5-2 as a way of getting two strikers on the pitch but it didn't work at all. One great chance created by Clayden who despite that was rightly taken off at half time. No signs of our possession style, we don't look like a top 6 side but we're a lot better than that first half.

Another day we'd have won that with our second half performance. We hit the woodwork twice and one of our few goalscorers in JRS had several chances to score today - I still expect him to get into double figures this season (if he's not recalled in January).

A promising debut from Egbo and clever finish from Leaburn (will he still be here by February?). It looks like sticking with 4-3-3 and switching to 4-4-2 when required is the way to go. Neither is ideal for this squad, the former doesn't suit Stockley as has been discussed for weeks. The latter means we're starting our only two strikers leaving us without one on the bench and can leave us outnumbered in central midfield. Hopefully we start to switch between the two game by game depending on the opposition. While we wait for Aneke perhaps it's worth having Kanu on the bench - probably won't happen though with so many senior players fit.

Surprising we're only 3 points off the playoffs. If we're to get there we need to improve at both ends of the pitch. It's not impossible but it would be much easier with the right type of striker, such as a waste of an opportunity having to give it go with what we've got. I have no real expectations for the squad so early in the season which shouldn't be the case at this level.
  • Options
    For once I got lucky by watching Kent beating Lancashire, rather than traveling up to Lancashire for another frustrating draw.

A predictable result, we are sadly bang average at the moment, mid table mediocrity written all over us. And yet again we have managed to be good or at least acceptable for just half a game.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

That sounds lovely.

First half, yes, worse even. Second half, no, a bit better. Good final 20 minutes, awful opening 45, meh in between.

Egbo looks a player.

CBT as a wingback doesn't really work. Clayden just isn't ready for this league, week in, week out.

Miles scored a worldie. 

There, you're pretty much caught up.
    A worldie, behave. It was a cheeky flick that came off. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    They said on Charlton TV that Carlo never scored a flick like that. They were wrong.
    As soon as I saw Miles' goal, I instantly recalled this and thought ' a chip off the old block'.

He appears to be able to find the back of the net more often though.

A great prospect, we won't see him here next season. 
  • Options

2-2 vs Accrington
    1-1 vs Cambridge
    1-1 vs Wycombe
    1-1 vs Forest Green
    1-1 vs Fleetwood

I’ve read this 5 times. Am I going to embarrass myself? Shouldn’t it be our problem is not converting draws into wins?!!!!
    No you’re right. I’ve edited my post now.