Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Fleetwood v Charlton | Saturday 17 September 2022 3:00PM

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2022
    cabbles said:
    10 pts from 9 games.  Extrapolate that out over a season and that’s pure, unadulterated league one consolidationism.  Nothing’s changed from last season other than some new faces.  Today those that blithely cling to hope talk of Egbo as a new face that might make a difference.  We do this time and time again.  Delusion takes over our senses, if draws became wins, the second half showed more promise.  We’re exactly where we were this time a year ago, it’s the same jigsaw with the pieces arranged in a different way. 

We try and pick the positives out of 2 consecutive 1-1 draws with FGR and Fleetwood.  How many times have we played Fleetwood since 2016?  That tells you all you need to know 
    If you can’t take the positives out of games like the last two what’s the point? Yes, we’re mid table league one fodder, and that isn’t good enough based on our history and ground, but I still look for signs of improvement, or else I’d end up losing the will to live. 
    Mind you, that first half. 😩

Anyway, it ups the excitement levels, knowing these are all ‘must win’ matches. Presumably our season is over as we’ve failed to win four of them. 
    And how the hell are we only three points off the playoffs!?
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited September 2022
    Woefully inept showing in the first half. Played like they had been assembled from those jumping off the supporters coach an hour before kick off. 

Total bunch of wusses being pampered with a Friday morning coach stopping off at Stoke to use the training facilities and then on for a nice overnight in a hotel. 

And then they perform like strangers in that first half.

So many things wrong with that first half performance and they are supposedly people at the top of their game in the league we are in. 

I'd have swopped 3-4 of Fleetwood's players with ours willingly. Rooney and Andrew top of that list. 

Second half was better. I'm afraid that Clayden really isn't a left back and didn't it show again? Egbo looks promising, I was frustrated by JRS but then reminded myself he is just a kid and we really shouldn't be putting so much pressure on him at this stage of his career. 

When we finally went 442 we actually created chances. Neither Leaburn or Stockley work as a one up front but as a pair... different gravy. 

Now if I can see the weakness of 532 and 443 with this personnel we have that are fit, why can't the coaches? Maybe they can't see the wood from the trees. 

A midfield of Payne, Dobson and Fraser is a no for me. Dobson is the ball winner, assemble the midfield carefully around him. 

• Options
    Scott Brown's comment re the first half, 'they were quite conservative' ... Is that code for something?  Only I've not seen anyone using that phrase on here.
  • Options
    For those of us here who were relying on Charlton collecting 3 points against clubs we "should" beat...

Oh dear, oh very dear!

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Major said:
    If we’re not beating the likes of Cambridge, FGR and Fleetwood and another dozen clubs in this division more times than not then we know the club is underperforming, given the disparity in resources. I have no idea why we would settle for that. 
    Not sure anyone would settle for that. Realistic solutions as to what we could do to improve things would be welcome, though.

All very well telling an owner he should splash the cash but not that practical when he is looking at the bigger picture - his business's future in the current economic climate.

A simple and obvious wish to meet our expectations and entitlements, is to encourage him to sell to a party with no such financial concerns. Or maybe rustle up some investors?
    Ideas, anyone?

As I said, it's easy to tell others what they should do for our needs and wants.

And don't think for one minute I am not totally pee'd off with the current situation but there's bugger all I can do to effectively change it.
    I noted that CBT got another chance and made a decent fist of it yesterday and was unlucky not to score. That is the first thing we have to work on. Then the second Rak Sakyi who seems to have lost some composure. Part of the way to save our season is to get them chipping in around the 20 mark each. I don't think that will be easy but not impossible. We do have a gem in Leaburn but it is too early to play him as a lone striker. Another thing that can help save our season is that he is a quick learner. He is going to be special but you can't rush it.

Even though it didn't seem to work in the beginning. Fraser and Payne seem the way to go to me. They are the most likely to contribute a goalscoring threat from midfield. I think the next most likely is JFC. With our lack of goal threat we can't afford to play Morgan.

Then defensively. We actually do ok for the most part but have specific weaknesses. Maybe because of injuries but why do opponents get crosses in virtually every time. Is it because we are scared to commit and have them go past us. That is something we have to improve on.

Also the second ball. We have improved a bit in this area but it feels to me that out of possession opponents seem better placed to pick up loose balls. When they do, we do compete but I'd like to see us win at least our fair share. Is it fitness? It would be really helpful to address this.

Also, Stockley is playing without confidence. When that changes, he will still not suit the system, but will be a greater force within it which will help the team.

So there is hope as when there are things you can improve on you can get better. The problem is, further injuries undermining that improvement as the squad is very vulnerable in key positions and there is a lot of mights in there. Possibly too many. We are at a stage where the margin in changing draws to victories is a little bit here and there. But worryingly, the margins changing draws to defeats is probably a little bit here and there too. A few key injuries should do it so it might be fair to say, this is easier to achieve than the former, sadly. I believe a couple of the right players in the summer and we would be up there.

All is not lost, but we are asking a lot of Garner and the squad and indeed Lady Luck. Much more than we should have been doing and that is on Sandgaard 100%.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2022
    TEL said:
    Woefully inept showing in the first half. Played like they had been assembled from those jumping off the supporters coach an hour before kick off. 

Total bunch of wusses being pampered with a Friday morning coach stopping off at Stoke to use the training facilities and then on for a nice overnight in a hotel. 

So many things wrong with that first half performance and they are supposedly people at the top of their game in the league we are in. 

I'd have swopped 3-4 of Fleetwood's players with ours willingly. Rooney and Andrew top of that list. 

Second half was better. I'm afraid that Clayden really isn't a left back and didn't it show again? Egbo looks promising, I was frustrated by JRS but then reminded myself he is just a kid and we really shouldn't be putting so much pressure on him at this stage of his career. 

When we finally went 442 we actually created chances. Neither Leaburn or Stockley work as a one up front but as a pair... different gravy. 

Now if I can see the weakness of 532 and 443 with this personnel we have that are fit, why can't the coaches? Maybe they can't see the wood from the trees. 

A midfield of Payne, Dobson and Fraser is a no for me. Dobson is the ball winner, assemble the midfield carefully around him. 
    I don’t think it’s all about 442. 
    It did show that we definitely don’t have the players for 352, and it showed (again) that we can switch between 443 and 442 quite effectively. Which is some sort of progress I guess. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Yes, I think we have to make 4-3-3 work for now and then go 4-4-2 if we are chasing. I say for now as Leaburn should be used like yesterday but he is young and it is not impossible he could develop quickly in terms of how to be the striker in a 4-3-3. But it is sort of when ithappens it happens rather than we can force it to happen. 

I do like him being a bit physical with opponents and him pissing off the Fleetwood defender near the end. Burstow didn't have that. I think a good striker should know the dark arts and be a bit dirty but never get in a fight on th epitch. OK after the match but walk away like Leaburn does and if they lay a hand on you get them sent off. I think he is a wise lad and am very hopeful about him.

BTW, the cup games are an idea opportunity to work on him and it is a shame we have to wait for them.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    TEL said:

I don’t think it’s all about 442. 
    It did show that we definitely don’t have the players for 352, and it showed (again) that we can switch between 442 and 442 quite effectively. Which is some sort of progress I guess. 
    🥴
    Oo ta. Fat finger syndrome. 
  • Options
    We need Aneke back and for him to stay fit. He’s the only hope we have of getting near the top 6. Too many draws is costing us, he would have turned at least 1 or 2 of those draws into wins. 

Will look a lot stronger next week if Sessegnon is back, Clayden is not good enough. Hopefully Leaburn starts over Stockley from now on also
  • Options
    To those that went yesterday, were the programmes still £1.
  • Options
    Clayden isn't ready but could become a very decent player.
  • Options
    Clayden isn't ready but could become a very decent player.
    He looks very average to me in terms of both current form and potential.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can explain the meaning of 'could' if required.
  • Options
    Egbo looked very lively. We were unlucky with hitting the woodwork twice but we are experienced enough Charlton fans to know we can concede in the 96th minute if ahead. 

• Options
    edited September 2022
    The Egbo chance was more through luck than judgement but it could easily have gone in or indeed deflected closer to Payne. That was unlucky. CBT's was a decent effort and that was unlcky to hit the woodwork. JRS showed a lack of composure twice (it could be argued three times) which was a follow up from FGR. But he has shown composure previously. It is noticeable that most of our chances are falling to CBT and JRS.
  • Options
    Such a poor first half performance, beaten to everything and looked like they just weren’t up for it. There was a passage of play just after the goal when we couldn’t get near them.
    That said we still should of been 1 up, awful miss from Rak Saki and think he needs a rest. Then the goal is another mistake from Clayden and Clare not being strong enough at the back stick. 
    Second half was better and I liked the look of Egbo, had real energy up and down the right side. We limited their chances, Miles scores a great goal and if Rak Saki had more composure or squares it to Dobson we will the game.

More generally we need to be quicker with our play. We have two good ball players in Fraser  & Payne and two quick wingers in CBT and Rak Saki. They need to work on the timings of their runs and how they are gonna get the ball out to the wingers, too often the centre midfielder is going round in circles and the chance to spread wide is lost 
  • Options
    I'd just like to say that it's actually 11 points from 9, not 10. :-)

And still we're just three pts behind the top six.

We are struggling to pick up the wins at the moment, but aside from getting beaten away at two top six sides, we're looking difficult to beat as well. We're on pace for 10 losses across the season, that'd be a marked improvement on last year's team who lost 21.

Give Garner more time to mold the team in his image plus a January window to *hopefully* bring in the players he wants and we could just start winning more games, climbing the table as a result. After a rocky summer, his Swindon team won 11 of their final 17 games last season.

Swindon's first nine games last season: W3 D4 L2.
    Charlton's first nine games this season: W2 D5 L2.

Not perfect parity but close enough to make the point... it's a long old season and a lot can change in the next 37 games.

If you haven't got hope, then what's the point of following the team? I try keeping the off field and on field stuff separate as much as possible.
    An Swindon achieved what……. Still in league 2 as far as I can see..
  • Options
    The Egbo chance was more through luck than judgement but it could easily have gone in or indeed deflected closer to Payne. That was unlucky. CBT's was a decent effort and that was unlcky to hit the woodwork. JRS showed a lack of composure twice (it could be argued three times) which was a follow up from FGR. But he has shown composure previously. It is noticeable that most of our chances are falling to CBT and JRS.
    Correct but I really like how Egbo made half a yard of space in the penalty box, at pace to create a crossing opportunity. Something Kirk,DJ,CBT could learn from - quick feet and get it in the danger area. Then as we saw....anything can happen.

I think we are going to come across like broken records that with a LB, CB and Forward, this team could be pretty decent.
  • Options
    We ain’t gonna go on a winning streak our promotion hopes for the season are all but gone, ticket prices are unaffordable for many the attendance to games will drop massively over the winter - joy 
  • Options
    Watched on the TV

Looked poor throughout and lucky to nick a point. Greg Stubley summed it up for me by saying we look like eleven strangers out there.

Rak Saki should be nowhere near a starting eleven with his lack of experience, he should be on loan with Sutton United.

With a choice of forwards from two inexperienced kids, one crock and Stockley we are going nowhere fast.
    I think that’s about right. We are where are because the players are not any better than middle 3 third tier players. 

• Options
    To those that went yesterday, were the programmes still £1.
    They didn’t do a programme yesterday. A few teams seem to have scrapped them