Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Train Strike Saturday 1st October-Oxford [H]

Comments

• seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Off_it said:
    Fumbluff said:
    If that strike goes ahead,any sympathy & support for therm strikers will go completely out of the window,the workers themselves should say no to their union for that day…or I can see a lot of anger coming their way from the mugged off paying public…
    This absolutely. 
    Striking at the weekend does nothing but slap the faces of the ever lessening number of people who support your actions….
    Yep.

Previously the rail unions have never organised strikes at weekends as the idea was to cause maximum disruption to businesses in the hope that those businesses will then look to exert pressure on the government to broker a resolution.

Now they know if they strike on a work day loads of people will just work from home, so they've now changed to trying to fuck up peoples social lives instead. Ordinary working peoples social lives. 

It's not even about their workers rights or conditions really. They're on a much wider crusade.
    According to the Daily Mail, but not in reality. 
    No one wants to strike, you lose money, and they’re a risk you’ll lose your job, and if you think these railway workers are all communists who want to bring down capitalism, we’ll I’m pretty sure you’re wrong. 
    Under capitalism the market is supposed to find it’s own level.
    The price of labour is a cost, just like the price of raw materials to a manufacturer.
    Industrial action is an aspect of the cost of labour finding a level in a capitalist system.
    This is a strike in an industry which is fundamentally state controlled, relies on state investment in order to function, has no private capital invested in its infrastructure and is substantially a monopoly. 
  • Jints said:
    seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Off_it said:
    Fumbluff said:
    If that strike goes ahead,any sympathy & support for therm strikers will go completely out of the window,the workers themselves should say no to their union for that day…or I can see a lot of anger coming their way from the mugged off paying public…
    This absolutely. 
    Striking at the weekend does nothing but slap the faces of the ever lessening number of people who support your actions….
    Yep.

Previously the rail unions have never organised strikes at weekends as the idea was to cause maximum disruption to businesses in the hope that those businesses will then look to exert pressure on the government to broker a resolution.

Now they know if they strike on a work day loads of people will just work from home, so they've now changed to trying to fuck up peoples social lives instead. Ordinary working peoples social lives. 

It's not even about their workers rights or conditions really. They're on a much wider crusade.
    According to the Daily Mail, but not in reality. 
    No one wants to strike, you lose money, and they’re a risk you’ll lose your job, and if you think these railway workers are all communists who want to bring down capitalism, we’ll I’m pretty sure you’re wrong. 
    Under capitalism the market is supposed to find it’s own level.
    The price of labour is a cost, just like the price of raw materials to a manufacturer.
    Industrial action is an aspect of the cost of labour finding a level in a capitalist system.
    This is a strike in an industry which is fundamentally state controlled, relies on state investment in order to function, has no private capital invested in its infrastructure and is substantially a monopoly. 
    There are individual rail companies aren’t there? Like Arriva, or South Eastern, or LNER, or GWR, or Chiltern. Taken across the board on average Rail Companies make a 2% profit. Making a profit is a feature of capitalism.
    The costs for such companies is the cost of infrastructure and the cost of labour. If the price of brooms for sweeping stations increases the companies have to deal with it, if the price of the cleaners goes up…or the price of drivers and other staff goes up, the companies have to deal with that too.
    Isn’t that capitalism?
    The workforce are trying two things, to increase their income measured against the cost of living, and to maximise the profit from their labour. To me that is a very capitalist approach.
  • No, they are run under emergency operating agreements. The companies get a fee for managing the services. They don't make a profit on operating costs. Operating costs are paid by the state. Nor do they invest in infrastructure, that is by Network Rail (state ooperated) as anyone with a passing knowledge of our rail system knows.

• Flying over to catch some games but looks like Oxford will be a no now as I'd planned on getting a train up from Folkestone.

Might try hiring a car, but that starts to get a bit pricey on top of food and match tickets 
  • TEL said:
    Flying over to catch some games but looks like Oxford will be a no now as I'd planned on getting a train up from Folkestone.

Might try hiring a car, but that starts to get a bit pricey on top of food and match tickets 
    Which games ? My ST is going spare until mid November 
  • TEL said:
    Flying over to catch some games but looks like Oxford will be a no now as I'd planned on getting a train up from Folkestone.

Valley Express coach runs from Folkestone https://www.charltonafc.com/valley-express
  • Another strike date of 8th October just announced when we are away to Lincoln.
  • Fucksake. Had bought my train tickets for Lincoln. Assume it’s pretty straight forward getting a refund?
  • Oh fuck offffff
  • shine166 said:
    TEL said:

Which games ? My ST is going spare until mid November 
    I'm over from 29th September to the 26th October
  • Sponsored links:

• @clive thanks mate. I thought that Valley Express was no longer running 
  • edited September 2022
    The government have announced some kind of measures to try to curtail strikes.
    The main thrust of which is pay offers as a result of negotiations are put to the union membership.
    The details and sanctions involved are yet to be made explicit.
    I think Trade Unions will find all the loopholes that may be created, or follow the rules completely and still take industrial action, or work to the exact dot and comma of their contract, or workers independent of unions will take their own actions as has already been happening.

• Was curious as to south eastern jobs available as have always wanted to retrain as a driver, they have a platform staff position available for 21,673 a year - come on that’s ridiculous for a job where you get spoken to like shit by majority of the public and 42.5 hours a week 
    Spoken to like shit ain't nice of course but nobody applying for platform work is going to be unaware of that aspect.
    FWIW I've lived comfortably on much less than £22k p.a. for nearly 20 years, paying full price for all my train journeys too.

ASLEF's leadership hasn't been as high profile confrontational as RMT, so far, but 'railway workers' are all going to be tarred with the same brush by commuters - their choice of union is immaterial to the travellers.  The heart and mind of Jo Public have been lost for good.
    RMT has done the railway employees as a whole great damage by its clear stated goal of dismantling the railway operation and constantly barracking central government.
    The demand for weekday commuting has declined 25% since 2020.  Irrespective of how crazy the railway operation is set up and irrespective of the ineptness of DoT's political bosses, that drop in revenue has to have consequences for all in the industry.  That ain't pleasant but pretending otherwise is as juvenile as it is unhelpful.
    The current pressure on household finances is nothing to do with the TOC's.  The unions' conflation of 'cost of living issues' with their attacks on management is nonsense.
    Several of the TOC's are now run by or very closely answerable to DoT and its tory overlords.  Tory ministers' control of the TOC's purse strings is unavoidable.
    RMT's class war and regime change obsessions are unhelpful to say the least.  TOC's paying dividends while constantly whining for subsidies is idiotic.  Boris's childish vendetta on Khan will be compromising Londoners' public transport for decades. 
    Targeting an event weekend that raises many millions for charity is a dismal own goal by whichever union.  It'll get plenty of news coverage, severely piss off not just disrupted travellers and provide a simple narrative for the twats at tory central office that "the unions don't care about anything, not even their members, they're just out for trouble etc..."
    A swift solution is impossible, long term improvements are essential.  Progress is prevented while both sides prefer a noisy kindergarten scrap.
    Don't expect the change of government in 2 years time to provide a panacea either.

Are company's like Kings Ferry and Redwings stepping in to the yawning opportunities this bone headed slanging match creates?
    Kings Ferry stopped their coaches from Rainham Kent a year or more back so in my area no is the answer to your question.
  • Southeastern update

Saturday 1 October

• There will be no Southeastern services running on the rail network. Please do not attempt to travel by train on this day. For alternative transport options visit Traveline.
    • There are no Thameslink or Southern services running, please visit their websites for more information.
    • Journey planners will be correct from Tuesday 27 September.

Sunday 2 October

• We will be running a special timetable to support the London Marathon and trains will run from London terminals towards Greenwich from around 07.00. 
    https://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/travel-information/live-travel-information/industrial-action
  • Thameslink/Southern update

London Victoria and Brighton – On Saturday 1 Oct, due to engineering works this train will run between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport

Two trains per hour will run between London Victoria and Brighton, calling at London Victoria, Clapham Junction, East Croydon, Gatwick Airport and Brighton only.

London Bridge and Brighton – On Saturday 1 Oct, due to engineering works this train will run between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport

Two trains per hour will run between London Bridge and Brighton, calling at London Bridge, East Croydon, Gatwick Airport, Three Bridges, Balcombe, Hayward’s Heath, Wivelsfield, Burgess Hill, Hassocks, Preston Park and Brighton only.

London Bridge and Gatwick Airport

Two trains per hour will run between London Bridge and Gatwick Airport, calling at London Bridge, Norwood Junction, East Croydon, Redhill, Earlswood, Salfords, Horley and Gatwick Airport only.

London Bridge and Three Bridges

Two trains per hour will run between London Bridge and Three Bridges, calling at London Bridge, Norwood Junction, East Croydon, Coulsdon South, Merstham, Redhill, Horley, Gatwick Airport and Three Bridges only.

• I'm going to get back to Waterloo around midnight next Friday. Will the strike commence at midnight?Any one with experience of this previously?
  • TEL said:
    @clive thanks mate. I thought that Valley Express was no longer running 
    Yes thanks @clive

I was stuffed because I had no way of getting home to Kent after the game but now booked on the Valley Express £11 return. I too thought this had been abolished years ago.

Why don't they advertise it? Particularly for this fixture with no trains running and a marathon the next day.
    Good question

Good to hear you are sorted, mind 
  • I'm going to get back to Waterloo around midnight next Friday. Will the strike commence at midnight?Any one with experience of this previously?
    Good question I'm expecting to be at Victoria between 23.00 and midnight.
  • Yes would love an answer. I'm not sure how reliable tfl journey planner when keying it in at Barnes at 11.15pm!
  • Sponsored links:

• The National Rail planner (checking Charing Cross to Dartford) seems to suggest that the trains running Friday night/Saturday early hours will be ok, including the 00:42, with the first train affected by the strike, the 05:23.
  • Very strange, had my tickets to Barnsley checked today at the barrier at Kings X, then twice  by dual handed "revenue inspectors." First time I've been checked all season. Merely a coincidence I'm sure... 
  • clive said:
    TEL said:

Valley Express coach runs from Folkestone https://www.charltonafc.com/valley-express
    Good service by CAFC but wouldn't it be a good idea to extend the service on train strike days. Places like Dartford which normally wouldn't get a take up would on a day like this. 
  • TEL said:
    @clive thanks mate. I thought that Valley Express was no longer running 
    I wouldn't get it from Folkestone mate. The route it takes now is ludicrously long. I've started getting the train up due to how long it is. Best getting on at the Ashford stop if possible, it will save you from going insane.
  • Having to miss this game as the last train to Basingstoke from Waterloo is 17.45 and nothing from Paddington to reading. Of course nothing from Charlton to Waterloo otherwise no problem.

I am not driving round, so 3rd home game missed in 24 years.
  • Coming up from Bournemouth on the coach again, only this time I have allowed a much wider margin for delay than the last Saturday strike day.
    Got a feeling it's going to feel like a whole day on the move, with a slight interlude for dogshit football in the middle  ;)
  • edited September 2022
    clive said:
    Thanks, Clive.

We are staying at London Bridge and will be heading to the Rose of Denmark to get there for around 9.00am (Robert will get off at Blackheath to take his starting place!). Looks like the trains will be fine.
  • I will be having a birthday family dinner at The Trafalgar on Friday, stay overnight in Greenwich and get Valley Express home after the game. Sorted.

Just need that emphatic 3-0 home win to round it all off. 

Still don't understand  why the club don't promote Valley Express during a train strike. 

There were still seats available when I looked.