Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Train Strike Saturday 1st October-Oxford [H]

Comments

• I just think the act of striking now for the RMT is far less of a problem for the general public to accommodate. Home working means less are inconvenienced. It’s that simple. 

They have I believe started to strike on a weekend to try and have more impact. But that is less likely to get public sympathy or support. 

It used to be a powerful weapon but now less so in their industry.  

That’s why they may struggle to extract a better deal from the train operators than already offered. 
  • Was curious as to south eastern jobs available as have always wanted to retrain as a driver, they have a platform staff position available for 21,673 a year - come on that’s ridiculous for a job where you get spoken to like shit by majority of the public and 42.5 hours a week 
    Spoken to like shit ain't nice of course but nobody applying for platform work is going to be unaware of that aspect.
    FWIW I've lived comfortably on much less than £22k p.a. for nearly 20 years, paying full price for all my train journeys too.

ASLEF's leadership hasn't been as high profile confrontational as RMT, so far, but 'railway workers' are all going to be tarred with the same brush by commuters - their choice of union is immaterial to the travellers.  The heart and mind of Jo Public have been lost for good.
    RMT has done the railway employees as a whole great damage by its clear stated goal of dismantling the railway operation and constantly barracking central government.
    The demand for weekday commuting has declined 25% since 2020.  Irrespective of how crazy the railway operation is set up and irrespective of the ineptness of DoT's political bosses, that drop in revenue has to have consequences for all in the industry.  That ain't pleasant but pretending otherwise is as juvenile as it is unhelpful.
    The current pressure on household finances is nothing to do with the TOC's.  The unions' conflation of 'cost of living issues' with their attacks on management is nonsense.
    Several of the TOC's are now run by or very closely answerable to DoT and its tory overlords.  Tory ministers' control of the TOC's purse strings is unavoidable.
    RMT's class war and regime change obsessions are unhelpful to say the least.  TOC's paying dividends while constantly whining for subsidies is idiotic.  Boris's childish vendetta on Khan will be compromising Londoners' public transport for decades. 
    Targeting an event weekend that raises many millions for charity is a dismal own goal by whichever union.  It'll get plenty of news coverage, severely piss off not just disrupted travellers and provide a simple narrative for the twats at tory central office that "the unions don't care about anything, not even their members, they're just out for trouble etc..."
    A swift solution is impossible, long term improvements are essential.  Progress is prevented while both sides prefer a noisy kindergarten scrap.
    Don't expect the change of government in 2 years time to provide a panacea either.

Are company's like Kings Ferry and Redwings stepping in to the yawning opportunities this bone headed slanging match creates?
  • Last home game on a train strike day was a bloomin' nightmare.
    Travelled up from Bournemouth by coach, due to arrive Victoria at 1.15pm, which I thought allowed plenty of time for any delays.
    As it turned out, the coach took ages getting into London and we eventually got to our seats in the Valley at 3.15pm.
    Coach home from Victoria was due to depart at 6.30pm. Busted a gut to get there in time only to find Coach didn't even arrive at coach staion until 20 mins after due to depart and then driver insisted (reasonably) that he have his statutory break. Coach departed an hour late
    We have a coach booked (long time in advance to get best fares) for the exact same times on 1st October!

• Mother in law is due to come to London on 1st October - West Malling to London Victoria. With these strikes.. will there be no trains at all, or just a reduced service?
  • Mother in law is due to come to London on 1st October - West Malling to London Victoria. With these strikes.. will there be no trains at all, or just a reduced service?
    It is unlikely that Southeastern will operate any train service that day, as on previous ASLEF strike days there was no service.
    https://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/travel-information/live-travel-information/industrial-action
  • edited September 2022
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    redman said:
    seth plum said:
    Slavery means having no choice whether you can work or not.
    no. slavery, condition in which one human being was owned by another. A slave was considered by law as property, or chattel, and was deprived of most of the rights ordinarily held by free persons. slavery. Don't make up your own definition. 
    If you contemplate ‘deprived of most of the rights ordinarily held by free persons’ it will help you understand what I am getting at.
    Deprived of most of the rights ordinarily held by free persons - really? An employee of the railways who freely chose to apply for and get the job, who signed a contract of employment without having a gun to their head, an individual who can choose freely not to continue working for said employer. How the hell can you use the word slavery to describe that and say with all good conscience it is illustrative?

What?!
    I wrote that the workers were not slaves.
    Redman was discussing the definition of slavery.
    Read back a bit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Regardless, we’ll still have an attendance of 19,000 put out by the club 
  • Thameslink okay?
  • HandG said:
    Thameslink okay?
    Thameslink not affected by ASLEF strike but during various RMT strikes they have not run any services via Charlton.
    https://www.thameslinkrailway.com/travel-information/plan-your-journey/industrial-action
  • clive said:
    HandG said:
    Thameslink okay?
    Thameslink not affected by ASLEF strike but during various RMT strikes they have not run any services via Charlton.
    https://www.thameslinkrailway.com/travel-information/plan-your-journey/industrial-action
    I got a train from Abbey Wood to Charlton last strike day
  • clive said:
    HandG said:
    Thameslink okay?
    That was a RMT strike day when a limited service was running on Southeastern, October 1st will be the first time ASLEF & the RMT have taken strike action on the same day in the current dispute.
  • clive said:
    clive said:
    HandG said:
    Thameslink okay?
    That was a RMT strike day when a limited service was running on Southeastern, October 1st will be the first time ASLEF & the RMT have taken strike action on the same day in the current dispute.
    blimey, thanks for the info, will have to get the missus to drop us and pick up 
  • shine166 said:
    seth plum said:
    shine166 said:
    They could always work but refuse to take payment like what happens in Japan. It is a slightly different occasion  the weekend of the 1st. where people have raised 1000s/millions for charity's close to there hearts and now those plans are knackered due to no fault of there own. 
    I think you're suggesting the rail workers work for free on a strike day because the marathon raises money for charity.

No, I'm suggesting they work as normal but refuse to take payment from customers or issue fines.

.... or just strike on any other day like they have multiple times already this year.  
    It has been mentioned a few times and the response is that it, travelling without paying, is illegal and an arrestable offence in this country. 
  • TelMc32 said:
    shine166 said:
    seth plum said:
    shine166 said:
    They could always work but refuse to take payment like what happens in Japan. It is a slightly different occasion  the weekend of the 1st. where people have raised 1000s/millions for charity's close to there hearts and now those plans are knackered due to no fault of there own. 
    I think you're suggesting the rail workers work for free on a strike day because the marathon raises money for charity.

No, I'm suggesting they work as normal but refuse to take payment from customers or issue fines.

.... or just strike on any other day like they have multiple times already this year.  
    It has been mentioned a few times and the response is that it, travelling without paying, is illegal and an arrestable offence in this country. 
    Can't arrest everyone if nobody is paying that day. 
  • Update from Southeastern

We don't expect to run any trains during the strike action that is taking place on Saturday 1 and Wednesday 5 October. There is also likely to be a later start up for our services on the mornings after the strikes. We recognise the need to keep our customers informed and we will publish more information as soon as possible.
    https://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/travel-information/live-travel-information/industrial-action
  • Thameslink update- no service via Charlton on 1st October [RMT strike day]
  • Sponsored links:

• Tube to North Greenwich, DLR to Greenwich and Liz line to Woolwich are the options. Buses will be rammed from those stations, so hopefully the weather will be kind. 
  • The majority share the same opinion of how the unions continue to disturb the day to day life’s of the general public for an extra 9% on top of the train drivers £55k a year (plus other perks such as free travel for them and their family), however as Londoners we are fortunate that we can navigate our way around London via tubes etc, but I feel sorry for the away fans. Once they have made it to London should their trains not be cancelled and they have spent money on pre booked tickets, they then have to try to work out the next phase of their journey from getting to the station that they have arrived from to the team that they are playing in London.
  • shine166 said:
    Heard that option mentioned on the radio, but apparently that action was made illegal. 
  • Tube to North Greenwich, DLR to Greenwich and Liz line to Woolwich are the options. Buses will be rammed from those stations, so hopefully the weather will be kind. 
    Plenty of buses along the Lower Road from Woolwich so that won’t be an issue
  • Off_it said:
    Fumbluff said:
    If that strike goes ahead,any sympathy & support for therm strikers will go completely out of the window,the workers themselves should say no to their union for that day…or I can see a lot of anger coming their way from the mugged off paying public…
    This absolutely. 
    Striking at the weekend does nothing but slap the faces of the ever lessening number of people who support your actions….
    Yep.

Previously the rail unions have never organised strikes at weekends as the idea was to cause maximum disruption to businesses in the hope that those businesses will then look to exert pressure on the government to broker a resolution.

Now they know if they strike on a work day loads of people will just work from home, so they've now changed to trying to fuck up peoples social lives instead. Ordinary working peoples social lives. 

It's not even about their workers rights or conditions really. They're on a much wider crusade.
    According to the Daily Mail, but not in reality. 
    No one wants to strike, you lose money, and they’re a risk you’ll lose your job, and if you think these railway workers are all communists who want to bring down capitalism, we’ll I’m pretty sure you’re wrong. 
  • TelMc32 said:
    shine166 said:
    seth plum said:
    shine166 said:

I think it’s been made illegal for them to work and not collect fares. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Off_it said:
    Fumbluff said:
    If that strike goes ahead,any sympathy & support for therm strikers will go completely out of the window,the workers themselves should say no to their union for that day…or I can see a lot of anger coming their way from the mugged off paying public…
    This absolutely. 
    Striking at the weekend does nothing but slap the faces of the ever lessening number of people who support your actions….
    Yep.

Previously the rail unions have never organised strikes at weekends as the idea was to cause maximum disruption to businesses in the hope that those businesses will then look to exert pressure on the government to broker a resolution.

Now they know if they strike on a work day loads of people will just work from home, so they've now changed to trying to fuck up peoples social lives instead. Ordinary working peoples social lives. 

It's not even about their workers rights or conditions really. They're on a much wider crusade.
    No one wants to strike, you lose money, and they’re a risk you’ll lose your job, and if you think these railway workers are all communists who want to bring down capitalism, we’ll I’m pretty sure you’re wrong. 
    If you think I'm a Daily Mail reader then you're severely wide of the mark.

It is possible for people,e who don't read newspapers to have opinions too you know, grandad.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Off_it said:
    Fumbluff said:
    This absolutely. 
    Yep.

Under capitalism the market is supposed to find it’s own level.
    The price of labour is a cost, just like the price of raw materials to a manufacturer.
    Industrial action is an aspect of the cost of labour finding a level in a capitalist system.
  • Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Off_it said:
    Fumbluff said:
    This absolutely. 
    Yep.

If you think I'm a Daily Mail reader then you're severely wide of the mark.

It is possible for people,e who don't read newspapers to have opinions too you know, grandad.
    No way. 
    I guess you must be getting your info from an internet?
  • shirty5 said:
    Tube to North Greenwich, DLR to Greenwich and Liz line to Woolwich are the options. Buses will be rammed from those stations, so hopefully the weather will be kind. 
    Plenty of buses along the Lower Road from Woolwich so that won’t be an issue
    Not if the hundreds of people who usually take the train have to take the bus as well!