Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Train Strike Saturday 1st October-Oxford [H]

ASLEF have given 14 days notice of rail strikes, this will mean there will be no Southeastern services operating that day, Thameslink maybe unaffected by the industrial action in which case a half- hourly service will be operating between Rainham/Luton via Central London & Charlton, more information will be made available after the Queens funeral.
The strike will also affect people travelling to the London Marathon that weekend.
A further strike is planned on the 5th October.

Train drivers set to resume strikes in October

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62923999
«1345

Comments

  • We are travelling down for the marathon (eldest running for Leukemia Care this year) on the 30th and staying until Monday 3rd so looks like we'll be lucky. 

    Also first home game of the season for me on the 1st and might have to walk from London Bridge where we are staying (or get a bus!).
  • bobmunro said:
    We are travelling down for the marathon (eldest running for Leukemia Care this year) on the 30th and staying until Monday 3rd so looks like we'll be lucky. 

    Also first home game of the season for me on the 1st and might have to walk from London Bridge where we are staying (or get a bus!).
    Jubilee line to North Greenwich then bus, don’t walk
  • Numbers said:
    bobmunro said:
    We are travelling down for the marathon (eldest running for Leukemia Care this year) on the 30th and staying until Monday 3rd so looks like we'll be lucky. 

    Also first home game of the season for me on the 1st and might have to walk from London Bridge where we are staying (or get a bus!).
    Jubilee line to North Greenwich then bus, don’t walk
    Of course - thanks.
  • Starting to take the piss now, we know it knackers travel for the following day too... so getting to the marathon Sunday morning could be an absolute nightmare.
  • shine166 said:
    Starting to take the piss now, we know it knackers travel for the following day too... so getting to the marathon Sunday morning could be an absolute nightmare.
    Ah hadn’t clocked that, I’m doing the marathon! Great
  • It appears that the RMT have also called a strike on 1st October which would mean that there will be no trains calling at Charlton station, more information will be given after the Queens funeral.
    The central section of the Elizabeth line [Paddington/Abbey Wood] will be unaffected by this action.
    https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/industrialaction.aspx
  • That is ridiculously unfair on all marathon runners, probably the biggest day of charity giving we have in this country. 
  • Had to stay in London after the Cambridge match as i couldn't get home. Nice little £147 for the privilege. Depending whats running looks like i will need to do the same.
  • London Marathon being affected by these strikes on 1st isn’t it?

    One of the biggest charity earners of the year being affected makes this an incredibly selfish action. 
  • Sponsored links:


  • London Marathon being affected by these strikes on 1st isn’t it?

    One of the biggest charity earners of the year being affected makes this an incredibly selfish action. 
    Potentially so... Marathon is on the 2nd October.

    So wont be surprised if all Services arent back to normal until something like 9-10am
  • The rail companies have been stopped from reaching a settlement by the government.
  • They could always work but refuse to take payment like what happens in Japan. It is a slightly different occasion  the weekend of the 1st. where people have raised 1000s/millions for charity's close to there hearts and now those plans are knackered due to no fault of there own. 
  • shine166 said:
    They could always work but refuse to take payment like what happens in Japan. It is a slightly different occasion  the weekend of the 1st. where people have raised 1000s/millions for charity's close to there hearts and now those plans are knackered due to no fault of there own. 
    I think you're suggesting the rail workers work for free on a strike day because the marathon raises money for charity.

  • seth plum said:
    shine166 said:
    They could always work but refuse to take payment like what happens in Japan. It is a slightly different occasion  the weekend of the 1st. where people have raised 1000s/millions for charity's close to there hearts and now those plans are knackered due to no fault of there own. 
    I think you're suggesting the rail workers work for free on a strike day because the marathon raises money for charity.

    No, I'm suggesting they work as normal but refuse to take payment from customers or issue fines.

    .... or just strike on any other day like they have multiple times already this year.  
  • shine166 said:
    seth plum said:
    shine166 said:
    They could always work but refuse to take payment like what happens in Japan. It is a slightly different occasion  the weekend of the 1st. where people have raised 1000s/millions for charity's close to there hearts and now those plans are knackered due to no fault of there own. 
    I think you're suggesting the rail workers work for free on a strike day because the marathon raises money for charity.

    No, I'm suggesting they work as normal but refuse to take payment from customers or issue fines.

    .... or just strike on any other day like they have multiple times already this year.  
    That is an interesting suggestion. The workers do their job without doing their job.
    Isn't the strike on a Saturday when the marathon is on a Sunday?

    Still a good idea in performance art terms, like the Barristers on indefinite strike turning up with their wigs and gowns and shopping trolleys and whatnot, but only mouthing words, or using semaphore or morse code to communicate.

  • seth plum said:
    shine166 said:
    seth plum said:
    shine166 said:
    They could always work but refuse to take payment like what happens in Japan. It is a slightly different occasion  the weekend of the 1st. where people have raised 1000s/millions for charity's close to there hearts and now those plans are knackered due to no fault of there own. 
    I think you're suggesting the rail workers work for free on a strike day because the marathon raises money for charity.

    No, I'm suggesting they work as normal but refuse to take payment from customers or issue fines.

    .... or just strike on any other day like they have multiple times already this year.  
    That is an interesting suggestion. The workers do their job without doing their job.
    Isn't the strike on a Saturday when the marathon is on a Sunday?

    Still a good idea in performance art terms, like the Barristers on indefinite strike turning up with their wigs and gowns and shopping trolleys and whatnot, but only mouthing words, or using semaphore or morse code to communicate.

    Yeah but unfortunately any strike, causes lots of issues the following day... especially if 70000 people are all trying to get to greenwich for 9am.
  • shine166 said:
    seth plum said:
    shine166 said:
    seth plum said:
    shine166 said:
    They could always work but refuse to take payment like what happens in Japan. It is a slightly different occasion  the weekend of the 1st. where people have raised 1000s/millions for charity's close to there hearts and now those plans are knackered due to no fault of there own. 
    I think you're suggesting the rail workers work for free on a strike day because the marathon raises money for charity.

    No, I'm suggesting they work as normal but refuse to take payment from customers or issue fines.

    .... or just strike on any other day like they have multiple times already this year.  
    That is an interesting suggestion. The workers do their job without doing their job.
    Isn't the strike on a Saturday when the marathon is on a Sunday?

    Still a good idea in performance art terms, like the Barristers on indefinite strike turning up with their wigs and gowns and shopping trolleys and whatnot, but only mouthing words, or using semaphore or morse code to communicate.

    Yeah but unfortunately any strike, causes lots of issues the following day... especially if 70000 people are all trying to get to greenwich for 9am.
    Could the runners get the Underground to the finishing point and run the Marathon in reverse?
  • Sponsored links:


  • shine166 said:
    They could always work but refuse to take payment like what happens in Japan. It is a slightly different occasion  the weekend of the 1st. where people have raised 1000s/millions for charity's close to there hearts and now those plans are knackered due to no fault of there own. 
    When i was at Rosyth Dockyard we used to strike almost every other week, always a half day on a Friday, as it was only 2 1/2 hours

    I once put up my hand in front of 400 other union members and suggested, why don't we work and give our Friday afternoons pay to the strike fund. We were on strike for the nurses, miners, GCHQ workers, all worthy causes to support, plus our own battle in fighting Heseltine off from privatising the yards.

    However that went down like a lead balloon, as it meant that most of the workers couldn't go to the pub early and many had second jobs as taxi drivers etc. So we just walked out.
  • As real as suggesting the workers go to work without doing their work wouldn't you say?
  • edited September 17
    seth plum said:
    As real as suggesting the workers go to work without doing their work wouldn't you say?
    I mean, my suggestion has worked other places, not sure how many marathons have been run in reverse... I do realise you were probably joking though. 

    'Dont travel or make other plans' just doesn't cut it in this scenario either. 
  • All the people who have trained for the marathon, sorted money raising enterprises, booked accommodation and so on are going to have a more difficult time than they planned for. I don't doubt that.
    All strikes have an impact in one way or another.
  • If that strike goes ahead,any sympathy & support for therm strikers will go completely out of the window,the workers themselves should say no to their union for that day…or I can see a lot of anger coming their way from the mugged off paying public…
    Exactly this, I've not complained about a single strike that they have done previously.
  • If that strike goes ahead,any sympathy & support for therm strikers will go completely out of the window,the workers themselves should say no to their union for that day…or I can see a lot of anger coming their way from the mugged off paying public…
    This absolutely. 
    Striking at the weekend does nothing but slap the faces of the ever lessening number of people who support your actions….
  • Fumbluff said:
    If that strike goes ahead,any sympathy & support for therm strikers will go completely out of the window,the workers themselves should say no to their union for that day…or I can see a lot of anger coming their way from the mugged off paying public…
    This absolutely. 
    Striking at the weekend does nothing but slap the faces of the ever lessening number of people who support your actions….
    Yep.

    Previously the rail unions have never organised strikes at weekends as the idea was to cause maximum disruption to businesses in the hope that those businesses will then look to exert pressure on the government to broker a resolution.

    Now they know if they strike on a work day loads of people will just work from home, so they've now changed to trying to fuck up peoples social lives instead. Ordinary working peoples social lives. 

    It's not even about their workers rights or conditions really. They're on a much wider crusade.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Roland Out Forever!